This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs in japanese?

after visiting DLP my main complaint with the park was that the classic songs such as "yo ho" or "grimm grinning ghosts" were all sung in french, so my question is are the songs in TDL all sung in japanese?

Re: Songs in japanese?

English is more prevalent at TDL than DLP, with most attractions and show songs being bilingual. But more and more, japanese has been the prevalent language. Many of the attractions at TDS are entirely in japanese, and the same applies to newer attractions, such as Splash Mountain and Hunny Hunt. Many attractions that require CM spiels are delivered in japanese.

Comment

Some attractions have both soundtrack versions playing such as Splash Mountain and It's a Small World. Others play only the English version but have soundtracks in Japanese that can be heard outside the attraction (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean).

Comment

wow.. so some attractions are in english and others in japanese? why not just one or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernOverlook
          wow.. so some attractions are in english and others in japanese? why not just one or the other?
          Because then people would complain. The whole country has slowly embraced English for economic reasons, but most of the older generation only knows Japanese. Also, TDL actually tries to feel like an American theme park, that's actually more or less it's theme is taking an American vacation without leaving Japan, so the English actually lends some authenticity. TDS is a different story, although with the return on investment they've been seeing on that park perhaps they should start making it more friendly to American travelers, too.

Comment

Still, throughout all of this, many kids who are taught English in schools in Japan speak it about as well as kids who took Spanish in schools in the USA speak it. They would have to make the attractions accessible primarily to a Japanese audience.
            Woof!

Comment

When I went to the Mermaid Lagoon Theater (at TDS) with my co-workers, one of them said "I don't like this attraction, cuz I can't understand what they sing".

The attraction is mix of English songs and Japanese story-telling (Ariel speaks japanese).

I really like English songs of the attraction. But a large proportion of japanese still think like him.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...c_theater.html

Comment

Tokyo Disneyland is not a place to go if you are an English speaker and you are not already intimately familiar with the attractions from American parks. Otherwise, you will have no idea what the hell is going on.
                In the case of Pooh's Hunny Hunt, even a passing familiarity with the stories will allow you to dope out what's happening in the minimal dialogue in the ride (which, even though it's probably among the best theme park rides in the world, is very short).

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                  The whole country has slowly embraced English for economic reasons, but most of the older generation only knows Japanese.
                  Actually, most people even younger people don't speak very good English. They can do some here and there even with their required classes in school. There are a lot of things that were introduced by Westerners that they call by their English names. There also a lot of little English words that have almost different meanings to young Japanese people. They use them in the funniest places.

Comment

Originally posted by MooglePower
                    Still, throughout all of this, many kids who are taught English in schools in Japan speak it about as well as kids who took Spanish in schools in the USA speak it.
                    Thats being quite generous to say the least. I worked in Japan for 1 year "Teaching" english and I have little hope for the future of english in Japan, but you don't want to get me started.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan
                      Actually, most people even younger people don't speak very good English.
                      I can't claim to have been raised there, I just simply parroted what I've heard from conversations with a Japanese co-worker a few years ago. English is a hurdle they are slowly climbing over for trade and economic necessities. But it sounds like Tom319's class isn't doing too well. :lol:

There also a lot of little English words that have almost different meanings to young Japanese people. They use them in the funniest places.
                      I do know about this one. Don't ever ask about what "chin" means, by the by. Of course, I guess we have different meanings for the word "wang" than Asian cultures, so it all evens out.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                        I do know about this one. Don't ever ask about what "chin" means, by the by. Of course, I guess we have different meanings for the word "wang" than Asian cultures, so it all evens out.
                        :clap: Haha that's good, but no that's not what I'm talking about. I won't go into great detail but you may here "nice" or "cool" coming from a Japanese teenager although you may not recognize it at first. My favorite one of these is "Guts Pose!"

Comment

Language was a bit of a problem for me when I visited but I just made the best of the trip and pretended I understood everything.
                          ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

my ex was just in tokyo and said that he had no problems. he said that people didn't speak very well but that almost everyone at least understood english.

the thing with disney parks is that no matter where they're located they're all considered to be international tourist attractions that are meant to draw people from all over the world, so to me it would make the most sense if the official "disney language" was english.

Comment

I find that dismissing anything at TDR just because of lack of knowledge in the japanese language is fickle to say the least. Anyone who dares call him/herself a Disney "Fan" would enjoy the many offerings at TDR just by the huge amount of eye candy involved. I have never had a problem with enjoying anything at TDR and I do not speak japanese enough to understand it. Besides.. there is so much that is bilingual there...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X