This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 18 Trip Report

So around July 18 in Tokyo, Japan, we went on a subway station to go to Tokyo Disneyland Resort's Tokyo DisneySea theme park. Did you know during rush hour, the last car of the subway is reserved for women only? YEAH, I didn't know that until we got in and saw women only and read the sign! They all kinda stared at me. Luckily when we transferred trains, the conductor and secruity didn't say anything to us. Did I mention it has been raining for the past 3 days?!

So at the Maihama station for Disneyland resort, you gotta either walk or take the private Disneyland monorail line that circles the perimeter of the property. It's 200 yen (US$2) to use it. I always thought it was free. The monorail has Mickey Mouse windows and handles. And the seats had Mickey-esqe stuff on it like red shorts, yellow buttons, white glows, etc. The monorail station had a Mickey & Minnie statue in a harbor setting. Disneyland and DisneySea are set up to be set back-to-back to each other. Instead of like with Disneyland resort in CA where the entrances are across from each other. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the train station to TDS.

So the rain kept the large crowds away. The park just started celebrating its 5th anniversary (unlike DCA). The aquasphere at the entrance received some special statues of Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, Chip n Dale, and Pluto pouring water into the sphere for the 5th. Anybody see the Chip n Dale statue? It's quite interesting... Banners were all over letting people know it's the 5th anniversary of the park.

We were going to get 20,000 Leagues FP and then ride Journey like everyone on the disney boards suggested. But 20,000 was only 5 minute wait and FP wasn't open, so we went on that first. 1st was the spiral staircase queue and a closed off extended queue of Capt Nemo's quarters or something. The ride is incredible. I guess it's like a reverse of the Indy ride where motion simulators are placed on top of our sub vehicles in an incredibly detailed ride. At a couple points in the ride you can control a light to point with. Creatures swim away from the light! First we get dropped into the sea in complete darkness. Air bubbles appear as we dive. We explore the sea floor, sunken ships, underwater lava/volcano, etc. We encounter a giant squid. It's tentacles are coming closer. We zap it away (sudden loud noise here, scared the heck out of me!). Green fiber optic eletricity covers the tentacles and let us go into complete darkness. A meter and red light blinks in our vehicle. We encounter I think Atlantis and its sea people population. They have statues and glowing crystals. From a projected shadow, we see they help us on our way. Color strobe lights and air bubbles. A sea person waves us good bye in a sort of star field. In complete darkness, we return to the surface. The whole experience is narrated in japanese, but that didn't spoil the adventure. People kept saying how you had to lean in to see. I didn't really notice and it didn't bother me. Being enclosed inside may be jarring for claustrophobics, luckily I'm not. This is an exciting and great ride! Video recording this attraction is difficult because the lights are very dim. But at the end of the day, the lights seemed to have warmed up and looked just a little brighter- but still difficult to record.

Next was Journey, FP was also closed and had a 5 minute wait. FP, pathway, and entrance are indoors in this "lava tube". Across and above the entrance is the digging machine. First part of the queue, in the middle is a bursting lava pit. Along the walls are shelved and caged equipment, books, overhanging saftey signs/ concept art of the experience... Avoiding more extended switchback queues, we arrive at the elevators (almost like making a U-turn towards the entrance). This long elevator takes us down deeper undergound. The way they set up this queue up feels like Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror. Warm air, loud noise, and blinking lights are pumped inside the elevator. We exit the elevator into more queue space for the load station. We walk down and around a machine which I think is supposed to pump in fresh air. The ride takes you through colorful crystals and a water fall. Through a dark tunnel with spinning fiber optic things. Then into colorful mushrooms, jumping spiders, and other creatures. Then we make a wrong turn into a bumpy path. Passing through a stormy weather conditions UNDERGROUND. Lighting strikes and makes a loud noise to the right of our vehicle (also scared me). We zoom away seeing a shadowy creature waking up. Traveling through a steamy lava area, we climb up more. We zoom down to see a bursting flames to our left. Then our right we see the lava monster. My guess it's between 20-30 feet tall/long. Amazingly huge but smooth motion. Under the monster is bubbling lava. It tries to get us but we zoom by fast through more lava and into complete darkness. We climb up and outside the side of the volcano making a Splash Mountain-like fall into more darkness. Finally after going through another fast ride, we see a brief overview look of mysterious island and back into darkness. After exiting, we climb down by way of a spiriling staircase. Another amazing ride.

Next was Stormrider. The outdoor queue has no cover. Everyone was huddled under the porch-like shelter near the doorways inside. The pre-show has everyone walk into the rows where they will ride stormrider. Mostly everyone would be seated in the 2nd row. Pre-show has the actress talking about storms and how stormrider/ storm machine would stop it. They demonstrated with a hanging storm machine that came down and stopped a water tornado (again, more sudden loud noises and scared me!). I didn't notice until later english subtitles were being shown... But being a big Disney fan, I read and knew what stormrider was about. The whole thing was narrated in Japanese. But for some reason they have African and caucasian pilots but dubbed in japanese... So there are 2 simulators on both sides of the pre-show. It's HUGE! Probably bigger than 2 or so star tours vehicles combined. It also had a high ceiling (but you could see through the ceiling and realize it's not entirely enclosed). The movie screen is separate and stationary from ride vehicle. We fly around and notice the side windows also project motion blurs outside! THe motion is really smooth, maybe a little TOO smooth for my taste. We fly around the futuristic city and climb higher in the air to go above and into the eye of a hurricane. Then there was a lot of screen time of gray fast moving clouds. The 2nd stormrider with us is stroke by lighting, gets out of control, then heads back to base. The storm machine is shot out but gets stroke by lightning as well and starts circling towards us. It crashes into the top of our stormrider and starts to get ready to shoot. The storm slowly swallows it back out into the sky. The machine does its job and the storm starts fading. We get it by lighting and start falling with rain water dripping on us. Fiber optic eletronics are fryed and we see them exposed on the sides above the doors. We crash into the water but survive. The doors close and that's the end. It was okay, the movie was pretty much what I expected, the new special in-cabin effects made up for the lack of exciting screen time. Then we exited back out into the rain storm... hey wait, I thought the point of stormrider was to stop it...

Next we tried some chocolate flavored popcorn. Kinda tasted like carmel, still quite good.

Next was Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull in Lost River Delta. This land is themed as a Mexican Jungle adventureland. This is the only ride we saw with FP open. Partly because something stopped the Indy line from moving. Right when I go the FP, the line moved quickly, so we went on. A little bit of outdoor jungle queue and then we got inside for a bit of rocky walled queue. Then entered a large-room chamber with Mexican/Aztec statues, carvings, murals, and plant life. The queue goes upstairs and then into a room with a reflecting plate to probably light up the temple. Then passed red-glowing faces. Then the safety film video and a desk. Didn't see any interactive elements. The queue went up and over to the load station. The track layout and load station was very similar to CA's version. No mirrors to show where your car might go to. The room to enter the temple is changed from a 3 choices room to a water fountain on both sides of the ride. No snakes in the next chamber, no big statue to stare at and be doomed. It was a crystal skull and shined lights through its eyes above you as you make a tight left turn. Indy spoke in Japanese! The spinning tornado was quite empressive. No bugs that "fall" on us. The attention is more on the tornado than the stone faced statue. The snake is not cobra and is more green and orange- we passed by it really quickly. No spirit appears behind the skull statue. The center of attention is another crystal skull. The rat room screen effect is replaced with a dialouge infront of a stone statue that blows smoke rings. Great effect, my sister screamed at the surprise! Then 3D stone statues of faces blow darts- unlike the blacklight skull figures we have in the states. You can see blowpipes coming out of the stone faces. While you go down below the spinning ball, you get your picture taken. Maybe back in CA, replace the Indy FP for a Indy photoshop?? Then I noticed I had a bug bite and red rash on my left arm... am I cursed??

By the time we queue for Raging Spirits, the bite and rash grew BIG. But didn't itch. Now it does. Riding Raging SPirits in the rain was interesting. It was a good ride still. They have signs saying how the ride has a 360 degree loop. At times, a bell rings and it lights up and the circle inside their 360 loop sign spins! Lots of padding on the shoulder restraints. I thought it was a pretty descent ride- considering we were riding in the rain. There were a couple water wheels while walking down away from Raging Spirits to Arabian Coast. They have this and the seating area to expand on making a new ride, perhaps.

Next was The Voyages of Sindbad. Queue had paintings and words, but didn't get into them. My sister was rushing through the queue. This ride has a certain mixed feeling of Small World, Pirates, and a dash of EPCOT's mexican flume ride (mostly the fiber optic fireworks). Basically ride through the stories of Sindbad and his adventures. The music felt forboding. I think the upcoming song for this ride will GREATLY improve this attraction. The AA are great, very smooth. But it felt dull. My sister was very bored of this attraction. I told her Alan Meken is said to be writing music for this ride, she said that would be VERY good. The exit facade was very detailed though

The next walkway was themed like Aladdin's Agrabah marketplace. They had about 2 carnival games but with people in line for them!! Why for? Because even if you lose, you can still get a special pin! So it was probably a good 10-15 minute wait to pay, play, and get your prize or pin!

There was a special jafar genie-like video projection inside a chinmey as he works on pounding a piece of metal. It comes on randomly. They had about 2 shops. One of which had Abu the monkey swinging. A fountain had a mosaic of Jasmine.

The Magic Lamp theater, fountain, outdoor Arabian show, and carousseul were in its own special courtyard that had a simlar feel to Agrabah's palace. Magic Lamp theater had Genie, a kid, a magician character, and AA cobra snake with projected eyes and turbine hat for pre-show. I didn't really understand the story. The snake was inside a basket in the middle of a room surrounded by other props. As he told the backstory, the "windows" projected slide-show like images of the story. The way they have live actors and 3D projection above them was pretty neat. And at times the actors interacted with the audience. They had a small magic show to go along before the 3D/live action mix portion. A really neat show. For some reason genie or the kid flew below our seats and bumped our bums. But exaiming the seats, they looked normal- nothing special. Didn't ride the carousel.

Next was Mermaid Lagoon. Really well themed and detailed. You go inside by entering the left or right side of the King Triton statue (I had this idea too for Valley of Villainy and others). Walk a bit and you see a great overview of the indoor land. Walk down more past a minature of an underwater city. The Jumpin Jellyfish only went up and down, didn't spin around the tower. Had a water play area. Blowfish "balloon" spinning ride. A sea shell ride that makes a figure 8 like with DCA's Ladybug boogie. In fact, I know the small attractions here are supposed to be similar to DCA's Filk's Fun Fair. Went in the Mermaid theater show. Waiting room had bubbles above you. Show was amazing. Took my breath away. They had puppettering similar to Broadway's Lion King show. Sung in english and dialouged in japanese. Ariel is cauasian. Every other Cast member was Japanese. Did "Part of Your World", "Poor Unfortunate Souls", and "Under the Sea". I guess they rewrote the script so everything is still under the sea and they don't have to go to the surface. No bubbles though. The Ursula & Flatsom/Jetsom effects were great! Lots of looking up at the wire work, etc.

I actually had a sort of similar idea to replace DCA's Golden Dreams. But use Circle Vision and seat the audience in a circle pretty much similar to the mermaid show. And then show digital movie clips and provide stage show entertainment to different countries/cultures. It would be called: "Palace of Cultural Arts proudly presents China, Ireland, America, etc". (Play on words to the Golden Dreams facade of Palace of Fine Arts) I think you get the idea. Then keep Golden Dreams in that rumored location at the hub.

We ate seafood pizza at the mermaid restaurant. Had shrimp and octopus on it. Checked out the whale store. I kinda wanted the blue raincoat.

Went back to Aquatopia. Did the dry course first. Then the wet course twice. We got soaked on our last ride!! I told my sister it was a trackless ride. She kept yelling she could see where we could possibly go. But she realized in our 2nd ride, we didn't get near the waterfall. She figured there are pre-programed rides and insist its still on a tracked-system. So we agreed to disagree and called it the "trackless track ride system". The employees hand out plastic bags to put your stuff in. It was still raining lightly. Umbrellas must be closed at all times. We could definately feel the bumps of the floor and the water was only a couple inches deep. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the random and unpredicatbiliy of the ride. I felt like Buzz & Woody riding RC because of the electric whirring sound and the feeling of being on a remote control vehicle--- this is one way I can describe our experience.

Then rode the Electric railway to American Waterfront. Went to Donald's boat builders. So on the hour, the show lasts for maybe 10-15 minutes with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy building a ship called the "Daisy" for Donald to do boat tours (similar to the short "Mickey's Boatbuilders". This was also an idea many of us fans had for Disneyland's Toontown. Then a brief 5 minute intermission. Part 2 of this 10-15 minute segment has Donald take a dive off the "Daisy". Chip n Dale come to have a fishing boat tour, but the "Daisy" is broken. They try to fish anyways but catch Donald on other line- just like a live-action cartoon . Chip n Dale try to fix the boat, but added in a bit of their personality. Donald gets furious and chases after them to fix it the right way (basically resetting for the next show's part 1 segment). Chip n Dale make their escape by putting a fish net on Donald. Donald runs out to get them. Long 30 minute intermission and the show starts all over again. The Japanese girls were going nuts for the Disney characters. After each show segment, video clips of shorts that have water themes to them is projected on what was themed as boxes hanging above the guests' heads. OH, and you have to buy food to see the show. It's not like Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe where you can sit and not buy anything.

Next was the Big Band stage show. Basically the Fantasyland Theater/ Hyperion Theater of DisneySea's big-theater entertainment offering. The queue is lined up in the street. They let in a certain number of group of people in a little at a time to be seated. This way they don't have a herd of people running in for seats. The cast members can easily seat people in groups! The show has cacasian and African guys singing and speaking in english with a japanese big band playing music of the 1920s-40s. With Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, and that cat from Aristocats thrown in. It was an okay show- everyone woke up when Disney characters appeared- cause the 1st act had no Disney characters whatsoever. I guess because of the Hello Kitty line, the Japanese audience are into the Aristocat character?? I don't know, someone explain that to me?? BTW, the singing act with the Aristocat had women dressed in resique cat outfits

Walked around before the next and last showing of Mystic Rhythms.

Walking through Port Discovery, there looked to be 2 scientists posing for photos... one orange haired and the other gray haired. Chip n Dale and Goofy were dressed to the land. The 2 birds from The Three Cabrellos were clowning around in Lost River Delta. I wonder if the Mexican pavilion at EPCOT even has these characters walking around and doing meet-n-greets.

Mystic Rhythms was a very artsy production. Monkeys had tails wrapped around vines but was really bungee cords. Butterfly, sloth, crocodile, and leopard puppettering. Jumping in and out of water. Live music. The jungle vines spread out and up like curtains (also another idea I had for the Pocahontas show). Stone figures come alive. Guys fly and swing on curtain ropes. The volcano is erupting. Steam spills out of the ground. Dancing in the rain. Climatic finish- and then the steam blows out on the audience (like in Universal's T2:3D show). It was quite an interesting and unique experience.

Walked around some more. Video taping as much as I could- it's quite difficult to be on a family vacation with the family...

The rain stopped. Outdoor shows at Columbia, Arabian coast, and BraviSEAmo played. Legend of Mythica plays only once a day and was cancelled due to rain. BraviSEAmo was okay, not great. Mickey came out to introduce the show. Fog hoverd over the water. Water danced and colorfully lit. The water spirit was around and moved to the other end of the lagoon. Volcano erupted. Then fire eagle came OUT OF THE WATER and burned up in blasts of fire. Blasts of fire bursts randomly from barges up straight in the air. Reminded me of the fire blasts in Disneyland's fireworks show for the Indy segment. Water and fire shared a moment. Water went closer to fire. Fireworks erupt. Mickey says "BraiSEAmo!". Then emotional music plays as people exit.

I walked around the Mediterian Harbor's play area that's between the lagoon and volcano. Disneyland's fireworks show was going on. Walked around the ship, it's pretty cool to explore. Had a water play area with barrels. Had a pay for play miniature ships. A swinging ball on a wire. A sort of "domed" painting. Painting on the walls of explorers.

Had pineapple shaved ice. You get 2 pieces of pineapple in a pineapple flavored pile of shaved ice in a cup. Used a very small spoon.

Rode 20,000 and Journey again. Didn't feel like getting the English subtitled version of Magic Lamp theater cause my family was meeting soon... see, family vacations aren't really fun with the family involved

The TOT was not lit and only had a window lit on the top floor on the left. An hour before closing, it was lit with green fiber optic lightning running down the elevator shaft and building. Looked pretty neat. Not sure if it was testing on the lighting effects. I didn't hear any screams.

Got myself a discounted TOkyo DIsneysea shirt and mug. Kinda wished I got the CD and TOT shirt. And that pretty much ends it. My favorite attractions here would have to be Journey and 20,000. But all their entertainment/attraction offerings are good in their own rights. This was my first and only trip to China, Japan, and TDS.

A lot of ideas I had have already been used in Disneysea. Makes me wonder if its really possible for me to be an imagineer...

The Japanese and Chinese have a thing about not photographing or videotaping indoors. And Japan has a lack of trash cans for fear of terrorist attacks, yet it's still very clean. And you can't smoke on the sidewalks !!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: July 18 Trip Report

Hey... I was there too! Maybe we saw each other but didn't know it?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Thanks for sharing
      :crazylegs

Comment

Haha, probably. I was wearing a black t-shirt with Chernabog in a blaze of fire. I would probably be caring a black bag for my camcorder... then again, it was raining. So it's kinda hard to see people while walking around.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
        -Jurassic Park

Comment

Originally posted by filmfreak11
          Haha, probably. I was wearing a black t-shirt with Chernabog in a blaze of fire. I would probably be caring a black bag for my camcorder... then again, it was raining. So it's kinda hard to see people while walking around.
          Were you taking pictures around American Waterfront? I was there around night time.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to have some pictures, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by A Disney Dreamer
              You wouldn't happen to have some pictures, would you?
              I do. I'm sure you saw the Tower of Terror one already?

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan
                I do. I'm sure you saw the Tower of Terror one already?
                Lol, I was meaning from filmfreak....

haha, but if you got some good pictures - post them UP~!!!!

Comment

Good to hear it, you got around very well.

Comment

And Japan has a lack of trash cans for fear of terrorist attacks,
                    Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb
                      Huh?
                      This stemmed from the March 1995 sarin gas attack and subsequent attempts in some Tokyo subway stations and trains. The cult group that lead the attacks tried to store toxic materials by trash cans. It is interesting that this preceded the London and Spain train attacks, but the Japanese attacks were not related to Muslim-related groups.

By the way, ever since the US Disney parks started bag checks and searches, Tokyo's parks have been doing them too? And they still do them.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyLurker
                        This stemmed from the March 1995 sarin gas attack and subsequent attempts in some Tokyo subway stations and trains. The cult group that lead the attacks tried to store toxic materials by trash cans.
                        Okay...I heard about those...but they really got rid of all the trashcans??

Comment

It's sad but true. . .there are hardly any trash cans ANYWHERE in Japan. I fondly remember trying to stuff a few things in the bin attached to vending machines. . .which are made for the cans or bottles dispensed.

But, go to TDR and it's trash can heaven! That was always the running joke, that you couldn't find trash cans cause they had all gone on vaca to TDR.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb
                            Okay...I heard about those...but they really got rid of all the trashcans??
                            That statement shouldn't be taken literally. There are public trashcans at various locations around the city and train stations. Even Maihama Station has some trashcans before you exit the ticket gates.
                            JoeInJpn
                            Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
                            For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
                            Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by filmfreak11
                              Did you know during rush hour, the last car of the subway is reserved for women only? YEAH, I didn't know that until we got in and saw women only and read the sign! They all kinda stared at me. Luckily when we transferred trains, the conductor and secruity didn't say anything to us. Did I mention it has been raining for the past 3 days?!
                              Its because there was a huge problem with horny old Business men groping school girls and office ladies. But don't worry, if you are a foreigner they probably realized it was just a mistake.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X