Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

    Tokyo DisneySea achieved so many new favorites for me that it really put any other park I've visited to shame, including Disneyland. That's not to say Disneyland is not as good as Tokyo DisneySea, just that I was more impressed by the latter.

    Favorite attraction: Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Favorite port (land): Mysterious Island
    Favorite Disney landmark: AquaSphere/Mount Prometheus/S.S Columbia
    Favorite show: Mystic Rhythms/Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    Favorite nighttime show: BraviSEAmo!
    Favorite restaurant: Sailing Day Buffet/Vulcania
    Favorite hotel: Hotel MiraCosta
    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

    Comment


    • #42
      Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

      Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
      About WDW? Well...I no longer have an interest to go back anytime at all, especially when I could make a trip to Tokyo again at about the same price! So basically, it feels inferior now that I've experienced TDR. I don't really have an interest in DLR either to tell you the truth, though it still holds a special place in my heart.
      Hmmmm.... Interesting. No surprise here. Maybe you should copy and paste this post in other threads where I have been crucified for my opinions on WDW versus TDR, and called "biased". Me 'biased'... imagine that??
      I just have to say though... while WDW does not deserve the amount of people that go thru to that resort... DLR will always be the place that people should go. I hold it dear and almost at the same level I hold TDR. DLR rocks!

      Comment


      • #43
        Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

        Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        Hmmmm.... Interesting. No surprise here. Maybe you should copy and paste this post in other threads where I have been crucified for my opinions on WDW versus TDR, and called "biased". Me 'biased'... imagine that??
        I just have to say though... while WDW does not deserve the amount of people that go thru to that resort... DLR will always be the place that people should go. I hold it dear and almost at the same level I hold TDR. DLR rocks!
        I agree. I would put the Disneyland Resort only behind Tokyo Disney Resort, but it sure beats all the other Disney resorts by far. By the way, people might find be biased as well because of my username. I don't really get how we can be viewed as biased when all we're doing is appreciating quality in Disney resorts. If we were to switch Walt Disney World with Tokyo Disney Resort along with all of the same CM's, I'm sure we would be praising Orlando and not Tokyo. We are not biased, rather we just like our Disney parks high in quality and care.
        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

        Comment


        • #44
          Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

          Oh please... welcome to my perpetual cross to bear. Sadly, many do not understand where comments like ours come from because they do not know any better than what they got. Reason why I can always respect someone's negative opinion about TDR if they have been there. Likewise, I could respect someone's positive opinion about WDW because they do not know any better, but hey, I know my facts and my predilections and do not have to agree. Right?

          Comment


          • #45
            Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

            Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
            Oh please... welcome to my perpetual cross to bear. Sadly, many do not understand where comments like ours come from because they do not know any better than what they got. Reason why I can always respect someone's negative opinion about TDR if they have been there. Likewise, I could respect someone's positive opinion about WDW because they do not know any better, but hey, I know my facts and my predilections and do not have to agree. Right?
            That's true but I don't see how anyone can not like TDR.
            Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

            Comment


            • #46
              Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

              Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
              That's true but I don't see how anyone can not like TDR.
              Neither do I but I can only explained it with one word: envy.

              Comment


              • #47
                Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                Neither do I but I can only explained it with one word: envy.
                Especially when they say DCA is better than TDS! Or even when they just complain about TDS's theming, which I feel to be *nearly* flawless. Remember the guy who said TDS was boring and "un-Disney" but had only made his assumptions from pictures?:rant: That's pure envy right there, and I don't think he would be complaining about TDS if it were right next door to Disneyland. If this is what he thinks of TDS, I don't even want to think about what he thinks of DCA had it been TDR's second gate. But strangely, I don't see him complaining about DCA since it's part of the glorious, better than everything else DLR (end sarcasm). Sigh...I guess he's both biased and jealous.
                Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                Comment


                • #48
                  Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                  I have been to TDL, DL, and WDW multiple times.

                  Tokyo Disneysea is an awesome park, and will be amazing in 5 to 10 years. Its not perfect, but its closer to it than DCA.

                  Now, I assume ToT went a long way to fixing this problem, but the American section of the park seemed really boring to me. There wasn't a lot going on there, and the sounds of the electric railway almost made my ears bleed. Oh, it is well themed, especially cape cod, but it is basically an outside walkthrough attraction. Of course, as an American, it probably appeals to me less.

                  Disneysea took the right path though. Even if it is a little underpopulated with attractions right now, it chose theming over attractions. This is the better choice in my opinion, since you can always add more attractions into a beautiful park, but it takes quite a bit more work to completely change a park in order to match a higher level of theming (DCA is learning this right now).

                  My last grip about Disneysea is that one of the hotels (I think its the sheraton) is visible from most areas of the park, or at least, it seemed like I could see it whereever I went.

                  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved parts of the park. The Mermaid Lagoon area was spectacular, especially the play area. It was amazingly fun for me, even without kids!

                  Tokyo Disneyland has more problems than Disneysea. Tomorrowland is in major need of a rehab, and compared to good ol' Disneyland, its just not the same. On the other hand, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is simply amazing.

                  Now don't get me wrong, I know I am nitpicking, but I just wanted to point out that I enjoyed both Tokyo Disneysea and Tokyo Disneyland, and I will go again (when I get the money), but they arent my favorite Disney theme parks. Well, Disneysea is up there, but I was a little let down by Tokyo Disneyland.

                  Now, after I went, one of my professors sent me a paper by one of his colleagues that was about the preferences of each nation to their own Disney park. That is, generally speaking, Japanese prefer Tokyo Disneyland, Californians prefer Disneyland, East Coasters prefer WDW, and Europeans prefer Disneyland Paris. There are many reasons for this, and it applies to me as well. Tokyo Disneyland caters to the local population. There are many Japanese nuances that Americans will not appreciate, but Japanese will miss at the American parks.

                  In conclusion, I like every single Disney theme park. Asking to pick one is liking asking to pick a preferred child. But if I must, Disneyland (CA) is still my favorite, with either Disneysea, or Disney-MGM taking second. Why Disney-MGM? Well, that is a much longer post.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                    Originally posted by SanctumSolitude View Post
                    I have been to TDL, DL, and WDW multiple times.

                    Tokyo Disneysea is an awesome park, and will be amazing in 5 to 10 years. Its not perfect, but its closer to it than DCA.

                    Now, I assume ToT went a long way to fixing this problem, but the American section of the park seemed really boring to me. There wasn't a lot going on there, and the sounds of the electric railway almost made my ears bleed. Oh, it is well themed, especially cape cod, but it is basically an outside walkthrough attraction. Of course, as an American, it probably appeals to me less.

                    Disneysea took the right path though. Even if it is a little underpopulated with attractions right now, it chose theming over attractions. This is the better choice in my opinion, since you can always add more attractions into a beautiful park, but it takes quite a bit more work to completely change a park in order to match a higher level of theming (DCA is learning this right now).

                    My last grip about Disneysea is that one of the hotels (I think its the sheraton) is visible from most areas of the park, or at least, it seemed like I could see it whereever I went.

                    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved parts of the park. The Mermaid Lagoon area was spectacular, especially the play area. It was amazingly fun for me, even without kids!

                    Tokyo Disneyland has more problems than Disneysea. Tomorrowland is in major need of a rehab, and compared to good ol' Disneyland, its just not the same. On the other hand, Pooh's Hunny Hunt is simply amazing.

                    Now don't get me wrong, I know I am nitpicking, but I just wanted to point out that I enjoyed both Tokyo Disneysea and Tokyo Disneyland, and I will go again (when I get the money), but they arent my favorite Disney theme parks. Well, Disneysea is up there, but I was a little let down by Tokyo Disneyland.

                    Now, after I went, one of my professors sent me a paper by one of his colleagues that was about the preferences of each nation to their own Disney park. That is, generally speaking, Japanese prefer Tokyo Disneyland, Californians prefer Disneyland, East Coasters prefer WDW, and Europeans prefer Disneyland Paris. There are many reasons for this, and it applies to me as well. Tokyo Disneyland caters to the local population. There are many Japanese nuances that Americans will not appreciate, but Japanese will miss at the American parks.

                    In conclusion, I like every single Disney theme park. Asking to pick one is liking asking to pick a preferred child. But if I must, Disneyland (CA) is still my favorite, with either Disneysea, or Disney-MGM taking second. Why Disney-MGM? Well, that is a much longer post.
                    Off-topic, but I like how you call the park Tokyo Disneysea, not Tokyo DisneySea. I know the correct spelling is an upper-case S but I've always thought it made more sense to have a lower case s so the names are uniform; Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea. Sorry for going off topic.
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

                    DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

                    (VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                      I really wish there was an American park that was to the same standards and theme as Disney Sea. Maybe they'll just tear down DCA and start over again. (I know I know, I'm dreaming.)

                      I would love to visit DisneySea, but probably never will.

                      1.) I don't see any way that I talk my wife into that.
                      2.) That's got to be expensive.
                      3.) I'm afraid the language barrier would really bother me.

                      I watched the video from Tower of Terror over there and while it looked phenominal, having all the speaking in Japanese made it hard for me. To me it would feel like I was being jerked out of the theming all day long by not having an idea of what was being said. But I do agree, that from the pics I've seen, it's probably the most beautiful Disney park in the world. From the looks of it, it needs some more C ticket style rides to flesh it out, but other than that it seems perfect.

                      As to comparing it to Epcot, Epcot is not near what it used to be. There was a time when Epcot was the most beautiful park in the world, but those days are gone.

                      TDLFAN, nothing of E-ticket caliber at Epcot?

                      Soarin'
                      Mission Space
                      Spaceship Earth
                      Test Track
                      Universe of Energy

                      Honey, you're hard to impress!
                      I agree with TDLFan on his estimation. Soarin is a great ride, but I would consider it more D ticket than E ticket. SSE would fall in the D Ticket range. Test Track is supposed to be an E ticket, but as one it really disapoionts. The current Ellen's Universe of Energy is virtually unridable to me. Ellen has no place in that ride and adding her to it ruined it for me. And Mission Space has turned out to be a disaster. Disney had tons of plans to clone this all over the place and they've thrown all of those in the garbage now. I'm fairly certain that if Disney knew then what they know now that they'd have gone a different direction with Mission Space.

                      Epcot is still one of my favorite parks but it's more from nostalgia than what it currently offers. I always feel mildly disapointed while visiting today. SSE is still great, but I miss the grand post show. (Hopefully that will be corrected soon.) The Land is better with Soarin than it once was, but Imagination, Universe, and the absence of WoL is sad. Test Track is probably equal to WoM, but I'd much rather have Horizons over Mission Space any day. As of yet, I'm uncertain about the changes to the seas.

                      World Showcase is still beautiful, but it's had nothing new aside from a film here and there since Norway was added. The Mexico ride has always been a joke, Maelstrom (while still a decent C ticket) falls well short of what it should have been, and the lack of any other rides at all still bothers me. There really needs to be at least one E-ticket type attraction on this side of the park somewhere.

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                        Originally posted by SanctumSolitude View Post
                        I have been to TDL, DL, and WDW multiple times.


                        My last grip about Disneysea is that one of the hotels (I think its the sheraton) is visible from most areas of the park, or at least, it seemed like I could see it whereever I went.


                        I have never actually seen an outside sight from inside Tokyo DisneySea. Kind of weird since I was actually trying to look for one! The Sheraton or any one the Official Hotels are located quite a ways away from the park and you would have to be at a very high altitude to be able to see them. Even if you were able to see it, I don't think it would interfere with the theme as much as the powerlines in DCA. If I remember correctly, the most you would be able to see of the Sheraton would be the very top of the building. Not exactly a big deal; I'd be willing to bet most people don't even notice it (including me). With all of the foliage and buildings (especially the volcano) blocking out most of the skyline, I have never once seen a building outside the park (except the one below).

                        I did however, see this interesting sight:
                        I actually thought this fit the theme of Port Discovery, with a distant city in the horizon.
                        Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                          Originally posted by Speedway View Post
                          Off-topic, but I like how you call the park Tokyo Disneysea, not Tokyo DisneySea. I know the correct spelling is an upper-case S but I've always thought it made more sense to have a lower case s so the names are uniform; Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disneysea. Sorry for going off topic.
                          Yea, I do it for that exact reason.

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                            Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                            I have never actually seen an outside sight from inside Tokyo DisneySea. Kind of weird since I was actually trying to look for one! The Sheraton or any one the Official Hotels are located quite a ways away from the park and you would have to be at a very high altitude to be able to see them. Even if you were able to see it, I don't think it would interfere with the theme as much as the powerlines in DCA. If I remember correctly, the most you would be able to see of the Sheraton would be the very top of the building. Not exactly a big deal; I'd be willing to bet most people don't even notice it (including me). With all of the foliage and buildings (especially the volcano) blocking out most of the skyline, I have never once seen a building outside the park (except the one below).

                            I did however, see this interesting sight:
                            I actually thought this fit the theme of Port Discovery, with a distant city in the horizon.
                            Hmm, I wish I had gotten a picture. I think the point you can see it best is when you are near Stormrider, I remember it pops up over the trees from there. I also remember seeing it other places, but that is one the place I can recall it best. Maybe it takes a clear day?

                            And yea, DCA has a bigger problem with this. Up until DCA was built, the Swan and Dolphin looming over Epcot was about as bad as it got, and at least those hotels were themed.

                            Actually, Tokyo Disneysea does a really good job with letting you see the outside world, but incorporating it into the theme. The tokyo bay fits perfectly with Port Discovery.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                              That is because they designed the park's backside with Tokyo Bay in mind... Reason why from some angles, it appears that the Columbia is actually sitting on open seas, and why the sea wall in Port Discovery "sits" by the open sea... Great Imagineering efforts there.

                              Originally posted by SanctumSolitude View Post
                              I have been to TDL, DL, and WDW multiple times.

                              Tokyo Disneysea is an awesome park, and will be amazing in 5 to 10 years. Its not perfect, but its closer to it than DCA.

                              Now, I assume ToT went a long way to fixing this problem, but the American section of the park seemed really boring to me. There wasn't a lot going on there, and the sounds of the electric railway almost made my ears bleed. Oh, it is well themed, especially cape cod, but it is basically an outside walkthrough attraction. Of course, as an American, it probably appeals to me less.....
                              I respect your opinions because you have actually been there and can comment on what you feel what's wrong with the park, and I agree with you on most of your points there. However, TDS is also about themes and show... when people say "there was nothing to do, or so-so area was boring" seems to me they missed the point and the surroundings... The park itself is the big great E-Ticket that it deserves to be, just on quality of theming. Yes, some areas could use more rides or shows.. but those are the perfect times to slow down and soak in what the TDS experience is supposed to be all about. I can say the same thing about EPCOT's World Showcase where some pavillions have *nothing* to do, yet people love the ambiance, food and shopping venues there and can find entertainment value in the lack of some things.. That is also the case with TDS.

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                                Reading through this thread, there seems to be a really strange defensiveness on the part of TDR enthusiasts and I was curious as to why. Do people really pick on the Tokyo parks that bad?
                                Magic Journeys...

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                                  Originally posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
                                  Reading through this thread, there seems to be a really strange defensiveness on the part of TDR enthusiasts and I was curious as to why. Do people really pick on the Tokyo parks that bad?
                                  No. I can only tell you why I may be defensive... and that is because I find the TDR as a whole to be an above-Disney experience that can't be found at the parks that WDC itself is running. From cleanliness, to theme quality, to special events, to CM's professionality, to respect for Walt's legacies. TDR does it all and does it better than all resorts. Now, if only TDLhad the same warmth and charm of the DL park in CA, then it would truly be an impressively run resort. My frustrations come from the fact that I know what Disney is capable of doing with the other resorts...based on what I see at TDR, and it pains me that we are somewhat shortchanged in our parks. Also, more frustrating is how many people get defensive and insulting on a personal level when they do not agree with my opinions... but bless their hearts... as they just do not know better. Sort of a case of "not being hurt by what you do not know".
                                  Sadly for Disney, I am a most dicriminating customer and guest and will rant when due, especially when I feel my money spent does not match the experience I am paying to get.

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                                    Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                    That is because they designed the park's backside with Tokyo Bay in mind... Reason why from some angles, it appears that the Columbia is actually sitting on open seas, and why the sea wall in Port Discovery "sits" by the open sea... Great Imagineering efforts there.



                                    I respect your opinions because you have actually been there and can comment on what you feel what's wrong with the park, and I agree with you on most of your points there. However, TDS is also about themes and show... when people say "there was nothing to do, or so-so area was boring" seems to me they missed the point and the surroundings... The park itself is the big great E-Ticket that it deserves to be, just on quality of theming. Yes, some areas could use more rides or shows.. but those are the perfect times to slow down and soak in what the TDS experience is supposed to be all about. I can say the same thing about EPCOT's World Showcase where some pavillions have *nothing* to do, yet people love the ambiance, food and shopping venues there and can find entertainment value in the lack of some things.. That is also the case with TDS.
                                    Of course, theming goes a long way. Just in my humble opinion, I felt the American area of the park needed something more to it. Theming is great, rides are great, put them together and you get Disney .

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                                      Originally posted by SanctumSolitude View Post
                                      Hmm, I wish I had gotten a picture. I think the point you can see it best is when you are near Stormrider, I remember it pops up over the trees from there. I also remember seeing it other places, but that is one the place I can recall it best. Maybe it takes a clear day?
                                      Maybe. I doubt the average guest would even notice it though and it would definitely not affect the theming in those areas, especially Port Discovery. Personally, I think the Sheraton wouldn't affect the theme because the building itself is sort of futuristic/high tech. I think that's why they chose to put Port Discovery where they did since most of the outside icons are seen from there. I definitely did not see anything in any of the other ports because they had very tall landmarks making sure you only saw what was in that port.
                                      Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?



                                        I realize this is a horrible picture, but it is the only one I could find

                                        But yea, you can kind of make out the sheraton back there... I swear its more visible from a different angle lol.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

                                          ^

                                          That's actually not as visible as I had imagined it to be. I thought the whole top section could be seen, and it's a bit of a relief to find that it's barely visible from ground level. Even if it were, I wouldn't worry too much becuase it blends right into Port Discovery.
                                          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X