• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malin
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2005

Re: Tokoyo Disney Questions.

Originally posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
    Personally, I've greatly enjoyed shopping in Shinjuku in the past--there's a ton of places to shop and eat.
    Exactly and seeing that the original poster wants to see more of Japan then just the Mouse I think its a great location.Night life is buzzing and its in a very safe area.

And the Hilton I stayed at caters very much for us westerners who are either on vacation or business.This is Virgin Holidays top recomendation of places to stay in Japan and its easy to see why.Plus had a fantastic view of the sky scappers at night all lit up.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• nish221
      Minion FOREVER!
      • Mar 2005

Re: Tokyo Disney Questions.

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
      I will be staying again at Hotel Universe the 2nd week in Nov. In regards to their bathrooms, I don't think I have ever told people they are plastic.. LOL! But they are a pre-fab bathroom unit. Small but doesn't bother me.
      Yup... here's one pic that found... that's pretty typical....

Comment

• The Goddess Mara
        Banned User
        • Apr 2006

Nish221, that photo doesn't begin to show what the bathrooms are like at the Universe Hotel.

First, the entire floor and tub appear to be one molded piece of plastic, raised about six inches above the floor of the rest of the room. (There is a French drain in the floor so they can simply hose the whole room down to clean it.) Then the tiny sink and area under it are another piece. Then the walls, ceiling, and shower are all one big piece. It's pretty wild--not unlike the pod in Mission Space.

The room itself is just only slightly larger than the bed--only SLIGHTLY larger. The bed is like sleeping on lead, and the pillows have boulders in them. The room is so small that the only place for the TV is mounted on a bracket on the wall.

The biggest problem is that there's no place to open a large suitcase and leave it laying down! You could do it behind the front door, but then there's no way to get in and out.

Comment

• nish221
          Minion FOREVER!
          • Mar 2005

Goddess, everything you write is true!

BTW. Japanese really like firm(hard) beds and hard pillows (they feel cooler
          in the summer).

But that was the best picture I found....

Here's another from Universe Hotel itself... it's from another of their Hotels

Comment

• TDLFAN
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

If you have been on the Disney Cruise Line, then you have an idea of what the Hotel Universal bathroom looks like.

Comment

• The Goddess Mara
              Banned User
              • Apr 2006

There you go, nish221--that's the bathroom I've come to love over 26 trips since 1985!
              Funny how you can become attached to something so spartan.

Comment

• Missviolet
                Oh... it's a bobby pin.
                • Jun 2006

Gahh!

I thought that I had this thread bookmarked.. guess not! Wow! Awesome info guys!!

We're probably going to there for a week or so INcluding travel.. I don;t quite understand the time difference. I would liek to spend a day at TDL, but it would probably only be one day. Would you say that it'd be better to visit TDS? Also, DO you have to have seperate tickets for TDL and TDS? WHat are the strong points of each park?

We would probably spend some of the days with my Aunt (in-law) and the others aimlessly wandering around. What sightseeing places are not to be missed?

Thanks guys!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                  MiceChatter
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Missviolet View Post
                  Gahh!

Would you say that it'd be better to visit TDS? Also, DO you have to have seperate tickets for TDL and TDS? WHat are the strong points of each park?
                  If you really wanted to visit both parks on the same day, you can purchase a normal 1 day Passport AND a Starlight Passport (meaning you can use it after 3 p.m.) for the park you didn't visit in the morning.

If you wanted to save money or only wanted to visit one park, I highly suggest Tokyo DisneySea. The strong points? It's by far the most beautiful and outrageously themed Disney park on Earth. Nothing can even compare to Tokyo DisneySea in the theming category. The atmosphere here is simply unique and mindblowing. You'll seriously walk around with your jaw dropped...it's THAT impressive.
                  Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• nish221
                    Minion FOREVER!
                    • Mar 2005

. . .
                    We would probably spend some of the days with my Aunt (in-law) and the others aimlessly wandering around. What sightseeing places are not to be missed?

Thanks guys!
                    TDR_fan answered your TDL vs TDS questions so I guess I'll take the
                    sightseeing one...

What's "must see" depends on what you're interested in... But
                    there are some generally agreed upon things.

* Asakusa district - Sensoji Temple
                    * Meiji Shrine
                    * Imperial Palace
                    * Harajuku
                    * For shopping, I guess Shibuya, Ginza, ok.. add Shinjuku
                    * For clubbing (and higher end shopping) Roppongi
                    * Tsukiji Fish Market (really early in the morning! HUGE fish market!)
                    * If you're into electronics, Akihabara
                    * If you're into Miyazaki, then the Ghibli Museum
                    * There are a HUGE number of museums
                    * If you're into Iron Chef, then Chef Sakai's Rochelle's
                    * If you're into Sumo, then Sumo when they're there
                    * Tokyo Tower (higher than the Eiffel tower. :-)
                    * Hello Kitty has a "land" there. (never been... something like Puroland)

If you can do day trips, then...
                    * Nikko (shrines, hot springs)
                    * Hakone (lake & nice view of Mt Fuji & hot springs)
                    * Kamakura (ancient capital, giant buddha statue - daibutsu)
                    * Even Kyoto is a day trip on the bullet train.

I know I'm missing a lot.... I'm sure that the others will fill in...
                    Last edited by nish221; 10-30-2006, 08:22 AM. Reason: Corrected "Asakusa" - Thanks, DSFan!

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
                      Sea Creature
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by nish221 View Post
                      TDR_fan answered your TDL vs TDS questions so I guess I'll take the
                      sightseeing one...

What's "must see" depends on what you're interested in... But
                      there are some generally agreed upon things.

* Akasaka district - Sensoji Temple
                      * Meiji Shrine
                      * Imperial Palace
                      * Harajuku
                      * For shopping, I guess Shibuya, Ginza, ok.. add Shinjuku
                      * For clubbing (and higher end shopping) Roppongi
                      * Tsukiji Fish Market (really early in the morning! HUGE fish market!)
                      * If you're into electronics, Akihabara
                      * If you're into Miyazaki, then the Ghibli Museum
                      * There are a HUGE number of museums
                      * If you're into Iron Chef, then Chef Sakai's Rochelle's
                      * If you're into Sumo, then Sumo when they're there
                      * Tokyo Tower (higher than the Eiffel tower. :-)
                      * Hello Kitty has a "land" there. (never been... something like Puroland)

If you can do day trips, then...
                      * Nikko (shrines, hot springs)
                      * Hakone (lake & nice view of Mt Fuji & hot springs)
                      * Kamakura (ancient capital, giant buddha statue - daibutsu)
                      * Even Kyoto is a day trip on the bullet train.

I know I'm missing a lot.... I'm sure that the others will fill in...
                      It's Asakusa that has the Senso-Ji temple, not Akasaka.

As always use this place (http://www.japan-guide.com/) it's very nice and comprehensive. Tokyo Tower is nice, perhaps a little overpriced but if you want a nice view, the Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku is better and much higher. Shibuya, Ginza, Shinjuku, and Harajuku are great districts for shopping but the real attraction is the overall atmosphere. Be sure to see a department store. One that has multiple levels and food in the basement. They're a joy and sprinkled all over the place. With that, visit a 100 yen shop as well.

Nikko is wonderful. A treasure of Japan that is vastly undervisited. It is very Chinese influenced but it is incredible. The Toshogu Shrine, Tokugawa's mausoleum is not to be missed, that is if you have time to go there, it's quite a ways, driving is the best way to get there but I understand most of you don't have that option. Hakone is fun but the Mt. Fuji views can only be enjoyed on VERY clear days. Kamakura is wonderful and full of little treasures. Kyoto would be quite a journey, but if you are really interested I guess it's worth it. I understand that your stay is short, so for the op's interest, I would advise staying in Tokyo for the most part.

Comment

• Malin
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

I second TDR_FAN's recomedation for TDS.Seeing as you come from California your no doubt use to all that Disneyland offers,so while a trip to TDL would be a blast,TDS would also be a new experience that I think you'll enjoy.Myself personally I think you should make the time and spend two days at the Resort,maybe try to plead with husband on that one,as you'll want to spend a full day at each park,trust me soo much to enjoy.And it'll be a shame to miss it all.
                        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• TDLFAN
                          Banned User
                          • Feb 2005

If you don't set foot at TDS at least for part of a day, then please... Skip TDR altogether.

Comment

• The Goddess Mara
                            Banned User
                            • Apr 2006

I have to disagree with TDLFAN--it IS worth visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort even if you don't go to DisneySea.

Tokyo Disneyland is far and away the finest Disney park in the world--miles ahead of Orlando, Paris (and of course Hong Kong), and still far ahead of Anaheim.

Tokyo DisneySea is a great park, but it's not the best Disney park in the world. I don't care how beautiful it is, wonderfully themed, or how terrific the attractions are. It's not a "Magic Kingdom," and a Magic Kingdom will always be the greatest Disney park in the world--at the moment it happens to be the Magic Kingdom in Tokyo!

So, if you can give yourself two days, do one day in each park at the Tokyo Disney resort. You won't be sorry.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                              MiceChatter
                              • Feb 2006

I have to disagree with TDLFAN--it IS worth visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort even if you don't go to DisneySea.

Tokyo Disneyland is far and away the finest Disney park in the world--miles ahead of Orlando, Paris (and of course Hong Kong), and still far ahead of Anaheim.

Tokyo DisneySea is a great park, but it's not the best Disney park in the world. I don't care how beautiful it is, wonderfully themed, or how terrific the attractions are. It's not a "Magic Kingdom," and a Magic Kingdom will always be the greatest Disney park in the world--at the moment it happens to be the Magic Kingdom in Tokyo!

So, if you can give yourself two days, do one day in each park at the Tokyo Disney resort. You won't be sorry.
                              I would put Tokyo DisneySea ahead of all other Magic Kingdoms except Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland. And whoever skips Tokyo DisneySea on their visit to Tokyo will be very sorry when they return, knowing they have missed the most unique Disney park on Earth.

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
                                Sea Creature
                                • Aug 2005

Bold you are. I put Anaheim ahead in almost every situation even though I go there so often, it's just the original, the best. The charm can't be beat. I rank DisneySea right behind it. It's the best park in the world besides Disneyland without question. Atmosphere matters so much to me. I agree that a Magic Kingdom will always be the best and that Magic Kingdom is Disneyland because it is THE Magic Kingdom. Tokyo Disneyland comes right after. It's got just about everything right going for it, it's just not Disneyland.

You would certainly have fun going to Tokyo Disneyland, but you would regret for as long as you can remember not going to DisneySea. It's an unbelievable experience that you can get nowhere else. We are giving ADVICE in this thread. I value your opinion but just as a side note it's not good advice to skip DisneySea, the post was not necessary. DisneySea is a must.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
                                  Bold you are. I put Anaheim ahead in almost every situation even though I go there so often, it's just the original, the best. The charm can't be beat. I rank DisneySea right behind it. It's the best park in the world besides Disneyland without question. Atmosphere matters so much to me. I agree that a Magic Kingdom will always be the best and that Magic Kingdom is Disneyland because it is THE Magic Kingdom. Tokyo Disneyland comes right after. It's got just about everything right going for it, it's just not Disneyland.

You would certainly have fun going to Tokyo Disneyland, but you would regret for as long as you can remember not going to DisneySea. It's an unbelievable experience that you can get nowhere else. We are giving ADVICE in this thread. I value your opinion but just as a side note it's not good advice to skip DisneySea, the post was not necessary. DisneySea is a must.
                                  I agree. Tokyo DisneySea was what motivated me to go to Tokyo in the first place, and it is definitely (to me at least) the more exciting of the two parks. I had much more fun at Tokyo DisneySea than Tokyo Disneyland. Maybe it's because I've visited Disneyland too many times and because Tokyo DisneySea was a fresh experience. Either way, I still think Tokyo DisneySea ranks up with both Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. The rest of the Magic Kingdoms just don't match up with these three parks. And I also agree with you about the atmosphere, to me that is the most important aspect along with theming. And Tokyo DisneySea beats all other parks in that aspect. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Tokyo DisneySea is better than Tokyo Disneyland, but you just can't argue with people prefer the Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

I am more open minded about TDS. You can go to DLR and skip DCA, and come out feeling you spent your money well spent. But skipping TDS if you go to TDR is tragic. Mara can disagree all he wants... but I beg to differ as well.

Comment

• Missviolet
                                      Oh... it's a bobby pin.
                                      • Jun 2006

So, suppose that we do go to TDS only, and being that it would only be for one day, what should we NOT miss in the park? Is it do-able in one day? Would we be rushing around trying to do everything or is it a smaller more relaxed park?

Also, how's the food? Is it Americanized or does it have hints of Japan?

Thanks guys!!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

TDS can definitely be done in a day. get there early and leave before closing time. You will have enough time to do all rides and all main shows, plus take in the excellent atmosphere of the park and sample food. Speaking of food... there is almost every imaginable choice available... american, chinese, mexican, seafood, curry/indian, snacks of all types, etc etc etc... TDS is a culinary heaven.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Feb 2006

So, suppose that we do go to TDS only, and being that it would only be for one day, what should we NOT miss in the park? Is it do-able in one day? Would we be rushing around trying to do everything or is it a smaller more relaxed park?
                                          Tokyo DisneySea is quite large actually, about twice the size of the Disneyland you're used to visiting in California. The list of E-ticket attractions are:
                                          • -Tower of Terror
                                          • -Indiana Jones Adventure
                                          • -Journey to the Center of the Earth
                                          • -20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
                                          • -StormRider
                                          • -Raging Spirits
                                          • -Sindbad's Seven Voyages (is currently being refurbed and renamed)
                                          Don't miss these shows:
                                          • The Legend of Mythica
                                          • Mystic Rhythms
                                          • The Mermaid Lagoon Theatre
                                          • Big Band Beat
                                          • BraviSEAmo!
                                          Also, how's the food? Is it Americanized or does it have hints of Japan?
                                          In my opinion, Tokyo DisneySea has some of the BEST restaurants I have ever dined in a Disney park. You will not be able to distinguish any hints of Japanese unless you're dining in a Japanese restaurant. In fact, the food tastes so authentic you may be fooled into thinking it came directly from whatever country that restaurant is themed to. Be sure to catch some of the fabulous restaurants in Mediterranean Harbor. I would recommend these restaurants in Mediterranean Harbor:
                                          • Magellan's
                                          • Ristorante di Canaletto
                                          • Cafe Portofino
                                          • Zambini Brothers' Ristorante
                                          And I'm assuming you're visiting in April?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X