Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Tokyo Disney vs a tsunami

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Disney vs a tsunami

Ok started this thread on another forum but wanted toi hear what you guys throught as well.

Ok with Japan making the news yesturday over the news that a tsunami could hit its coast it got me thinking about the Tokyo Disney Resort.Thank god the evacuation seems to of been for noting and the waves that hit were very small,but still it makes me wonder next time it happens if Japan will be soo lucky and what kind of impact it would have on the 2 Disney parks that are located in Tokyo Bay.Would there be safe due to the area there located inside Tokyo Bay or could something like this cause serious damage.So its got me thinking are the parks in the wrong place,due to the earthquakes that Japan get every year.Your throughts!
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: Tokyo Disney vs a tsunami

Sorry posted this in wrong section.

ADMIN NOTE:

Thread Moved At User's Request.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-16-2006, 07:43 AM. Reason: Thread Moved

Comment

Disney vs a Tsunami

Ok with Japan making the news yesturday over the news that a tsunami could hit its coast it got me thinking about the Tokyo Disney Resort.Thank god the evacuation seems to of been for noting and the waves that hit were very small,but still it makes me wonder next time it happens if Japan will be soo lucky and what kind of impact it would have on the 2 Disney parks that are located in Tokyo Bay.Would there be safe due to the area there located inside Tokyo Bay or could something like this cause serious damage.So its got me thinking are the parks in the wrong place,due to the earthquakes that Japan get every year.Your throughts!
      could hit its coast it got me thinking about the Tokyo Disney Resort.Thank god the evacuation seems to of been for noting and the waves that hit were very small,but still it makes me wonder next time it happens if Japan will be soo lucky and what kind of impact it would have on the 2 Disney parks that are located in Tokyo Bay.Would there be safe due to the area there located inside Tokyo Bay or could something like this cause serious damage.So its got me thinking are the parks in the wrong place,due to the earthquakes that Japan get every year.Your throughts!

Comment

Re: Disney vs a Tsunami

Small doesn't seem to even begin to describe those waves! 18" tsunami?! The only thing that might destroy is a 12" Stonehenge!
        -Tim

Comment

ADMIN NOTE:
          Threads Merged
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
          Save

Comment

Thanks Dustysage I totally messed that one up.Even great people make mistakes

So back to the topic

Comment

Tokyo DIsneyland is no more at risk due to Tsunamis (forgive the spelling) than WDW is at danger due to Hurricanes. luckily WDW has been lucky and not sustained substantial damage, and so far so has Tokyo. In the long run though, who knows.

Comment

Malin, you're completely right that Tokyo Bay helps alleviate the tsunami danger
                greatly (although not entirely).

Note that the mouth of the Bay faces south west and that there is an almost 90 degree
                turn to the northwest followed by another 90 degree turn to the northeast.
                Tsunamis travel in roughly straight lines or hug coasts.(similar to waves
                in a pool; if the angle of incidence is shallow enough) They don't make sharp
                turns or reflect off coasts.

Tokyo itself is at the back of the Bay almost 70km from the mouth which
                is quite narrow (<10km at one part). All of which makes it hard for a tsunami to get
                in (to the Bay) and then to actually hit TDR directly.

Another point is that there is no beach or a gradual rise in the land under the water,
                so it's harder to get the actual crashing wave there.

BTW. this is not to say that a tsunami can't hit TDR, it's just difficult for the full
                frontal wave to hit. There's a pretty decent chance that it'll see large swells if the
                coast nearby get hit.
                Last edited by nish221; 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X