Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

Question about mountain height.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about mountain height.

Ok, we just called Japan. They said the symbol is the AquaSphere and that Prometheus is not the symbol. On the website it refers to the AquaSpere as well. When it talks about Prometheus the word it uses is シンボル的 Shinboru teki not Shinboru/Symbol there is a slight difference. My husband used to be a CM at TDS but we just called to be sure and that is the answer.
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

DMGM trash can:

Gee, I wonder what the weenie is (was)?

Comment

Originally posted by ichigopara View Post
        Ok, we just called Japan. They said the symbol is the AquaSphere and that Prometheus is not the symbol. On the website it refers to the AquaSpere as well. When it talks about Prometheus the word it uses is シンボル的 Shinboru teki not Shinboru/Symbol there is a slight difference. My husband used to be a CM at TDS but we just called to be sure and that is the answer.
        So what exactly is Mt. Prometheus then if not the symbol of Tokyo DisneySea? By the way, thanks for confirming. I think that Mt. Prometheus is the icon, while the AquaSphere is the symbol (meaning it represents the park). Question is, why would they put false information on their official website if the AquaSphere is the true "symbol"?
        ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

I believe the "official" logo is the AquaSphere since a simpler version of it usually included in the official Park logo. Mt. Prometheus is a marketing icon of the Park, since it is included in many more promotional materials. Both are symbolic (シンボル的) of the Park.

JoeInJpn
          http://www.jtcent.com
          JoeInJpn
          Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
          For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
          Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
            I believe the "official" logo is the AquaSphere since a simpler version of it usually included in the official Park logo. Mt. Prometheus is a marketing icon of the Park, since it is included in many more promotional materials. Both are symbolic (シンボル的) of the Park.

JoeInJpn
            It's much easier just to say that Tokyo DisneySea has two symbols, regardless of which one is more "official". Besides, it's only fitting that the centerpiece of the park should be regarded as a symbol too.

I'm actually still confused about the difference between a symbol and an icon. Would Cinderella Castle be a symbol or an icon, or both?

Comment

An icon is a type of symbol. The term "icon" is usually used as a "pictorial" representation. So, according to ichigopara, I guess the folks at Disney/OLC designated the "official icon" title (if there is such a thing) to DisneySea AquaSphere. I remember reading various online fan site surveys as saying "Mt. Prometheus" had a better lasting impression than the "AquaSphere". Many Japanese also commented that Universal Studios Japan has a spinning globe at its entrance.

JoeInJpn
              JoeInJpn

Comment

An icon is a type of symbol. The term "icon" is usually used as a "pictorial" representation. So, according to ichigopara, I guess the folks at Disney/OLC designated the "official icon" title (if there is such a thing) to DisneySea AquaSphere. I remember reading various online fan site surveys as saying "Mt. Prometheus" had a better lasting impression than the "AquaSphere". Many Japanese also commented that Universal Studios Japan has a spinning globe at its entrance.

JoeInJpn
                I guess they thought the AquaSphere looked better than Mr. Prometheus? Another reason may also be because the AquaSphere represents the theme of the park? I'm sure a representation of the Earth ties in better to the "seas" theme than a volcano.

What's strange is that I heard from a CM there that Mt. Prometheus is clearly the symbol of TDS. Either they were misinformed, or the people that ichigopara phoned were. I can't read the Japanese website, so I can't tell what the text ichigopara posted says (シンボル的).

And by the way, I think the AquaSphere looks much more impressive than the globe at Universal Studios Japan. The AquaSphere is much bigger and way more beautiful than that piece of metal they call an icon at Universal Studios Japan; the AquaSphere is just so stunning and serene that I could look at it all day!
                Last edited by TDR_Fan; 12-05-2006, 12:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

シンボル的 is read as "sheem-boru-tekee" which can be can be translated as "symbol-like" or "symbolic."

I agree with your assessment of USJ's "piece of metal."

JoeInJpn
                  JoeInJpn

Comment

シンボル的 is read as "sheem-boru-tekee" which can be can be translated as "symbol-like" or "symbolic."

I agree with your assessment of USJ's "piece of metal."

JoeInJpn
                    Thanks. Anyways, overall I guess the AquaSphere just fits Tokyo DisneySea better as a symbol. It is one-of-a-kind after all. :yea:

Comment

I had trouble uderstanding the difference between the two terms until my husband gave me an example. An example of シンボル的 in TDL would be the Partners statue of Walt and Mickey. It isn't the symbol of the park but is a symbol of the park.
                      Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

I'm so glad this thread stayed on topic, for three posts at least!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorchio View Post
                          I'm so glad this thread stayed on topic, for three posts at least!

There wasn't much to discuss in this thread; it simply asked for the height of Mount Prometheus. Once that was answered, the only thing left to discuss was Mount Prometheus itself. And in the sense of things, we are sort of on topic since we are discussing whether or not it is the symbol of Tokyo DisneySea. That further lead to the discussion of the AquaSphere, which we discovered was the official symbol of Tokyo DisneySea.

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                            Thank you for confirming. Until now, I never knew Tokyo DisneySea had two icons. Very interesting
                            Actually, there are three icons. When you count me as one.)

Comment

Working...
                            X