What's the best way to get luggage across Tokyo?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Queenie
    • Mar 2005

What's the best way to get luggage across Tokyo?

I need to make hotel reservations soon for our April trip to Japan (yay!). We're staying in Shinagawa for its combination of plentiful and cheap hotel rooms plus great transportation. However, we think we can squeeze enough money out of our budget to finish the trip with three nights at the Mira Costa.

However, the part about getting the luggage from our hotel in Shinagawa befuddles me. It's a pretty long haul, so I suspect the cost of a taxi will be very high. Am I correct or is this doable?

We'll have rail passes, so theoretically, we could just take our luggage on the train and transfer at Tokyo Station after truddling down all those escalators to the seventh basement or wherever they keep the Keio line, but I've never SEEN anyone with luggage on the trains. Is this just something that's not done?

Also, a couple of the hotels in Shinagawa seem to be some kind of official Disney partner hotels and offer a shuttle service to the Disney Resort. Think there's any chance they'll be willing to transport us AND our luggage?
  • nish221
    Minion FOREVER!
    • Mar 2005

Re: What's the best way to get luggage across Tokyo?

Queenie, it's been a while since I've taken a taxi in Tokyo, but compared to
    other major cities (like New York or San Francisco), taxi's were pretty reasonable.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others here who can answer this directly.

As to what people do about luggage, my parents usually ship/send it separately
    when in Japan. But I've lugged luggage on the trains in Japan!

As for the hotel's and their shuttle service, I'm pretty sure that they'll be willing to
    transport you and luggage (maybe for a fee during non-peak).

Comment

• OogieBoogie
      Supervillan Extrodinaire
      MiceChat News Team
      • Sep 2005

The best way to get luggage anywhere is to carry it.
      Growing older is manditory
      Growing up is however, optional

Comment

• Disneyland Daddy
        ...is fading out....
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
        The best way to get luggage anywhere is to carry it.
        EXCELLENT!:lol:

Comment

• JoeInJpn
          • Jul 2006

If you stay at a hotel that offers the Disney shuttle, then you can bring your luggage with you. Generally speaking, you can have your luggage sent home from the hotel. However, few hotels will accept luggage sent to them unless there is a special arrangement.

There are plenty of travellers with luggage on trains. Just watch when you get on the train at Narita going into the city. Many folks are lugging their things around.

Remember it is KEIYO LINE, not KEIO, which is a different line starting in Shinjuku.

Another route you can take:
          - Shinagawa to Yurakucho St. (North exit)
          - Go across the street to the Tokyo International Forum (TIF)
          - Keiyo Line is located two floors under the TIF

Good luck!

JoeInJpn
          JoeInJpn
          Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
          For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
          Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

• The Goddess Mara
            Banned User
            • Apr 2006

A taxi will run you at least $150!

Comment

• The Goddess Mara
              Banned User
              • Apr 2006

Oh--forgot, here's a cheap way to do it. Take the limosine bus to Narita airport from your hotel, then turn around and take another limosine bus from Narita to Tokyo Disneyland. It's slightly inconvenient, but cheap, and a lot easier than the lugging your suitcases on the train.

Comment

• Queenie
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                If you stay at a hotel that offers the Disney shuttle, then you can bring your luggage with you. Generally speaking, you can have your luggage sent home from the hotel. However, few hotels will accept luggage sent to them unless there is a special arrangement.

There are plenty of travellers with luggage on trains. Just watch when you get on the train at Narita going into the city. Many folks are lugging their things around.

Remember it is KEIYO LINE, not KEIO, which is a different line starting in Shinjuku.

Another route you can take:
                - Shinagawa to Yurakucho St. (North exit)
                - Go across the street to the Tokyo International Forum (TIF)
                - Keiyo Line is located two floors under the TIF

Good luck!

JoeInJpn
                http://www.jtcent.com
                Thanks, Joe! I would never have guessed you could get off right before Tokyo Station and then go downstairs right to the Keiyo (not Keio) line. I think that will be our backup plan, if the hotel shuttle won't take luggage. I'm calling Mira Costa tonight for April 16-19.

Comment

• mikeland
                  World Traveler
                  • May 2005

Make sure you have good suitcases with sturdy wheels! We took our luggage from the Westin (in Ebisu) to the TDR and it was not bad. We also saved Disney for the end of the trip so we'd have plenty of room for souvenirs!

Good luck on getting the hotel and be sure to post pictures of your trip when you return!

Comment

• Thisguy74
                    Former Cast Member
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
                    Oh--forgot, here's a cheap way to do it. Take the limosine bus to Narita airport from your hotel, then turn around and take another limosine bus from Narita to Tokyo Disneyland. It's slightly inconvenient, but cheap, and a lot easier than the lugging your suitcases on the train.
                    I agree with using the limosine bus to Narita and then to the park. My wife and I used the service and they actually stop at a number of hotels and will drop you right in front of the Mira Costa as I recall.

The only issue would be that this would probably take a bit more time than a direct cab. However, time is money as they say.

Comment

• mikeland
                      World Traveler
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
                      The sad thing about this is that the bus from Tokyo to Narita passes right by the TDR. I'm sure there has to be a better way than having to go back to Narita. It's a VERY long trip.

Comment

• ShirikiUtunduHA!
                        Sock Puppet
                        • Dec 2006

Yes, that's true, it is a long trip ... but it's cheap. That's the point.
                        You have to do the same thing in Los Angeles. There's no way to get to Disneyland from Los Angeles except by Taxi, and it's expensive, but you can take a Super Shuttle to LAX from the LA area for $14, then take another Super Shuttle from LAX to Disneyland for $14 (or so). It takes longer and is a pain in the behind, but it works.

Comment

• drnilescrane
                          Having a Grand Day!
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ShirikiUtunduHA! View Post
                          Yes, that's true, it is a long trip ... but it's cheap. That's the point.
                          You have to do the same thing in Los Angeles. There's no way to get to Disneyland from Los Angeles except by Taxi, and it's expensive, but you can take a Super Shuttle to LAX from the LA area for $14, then take another Super Shuttle from LAX to Disneyland for $14 (or so). It takes longer and is a pain in the behind, but it works.
                          You are forgetting the Disneyland Resort Express Coach (Magical Express type arrangement between Disney and a bus line, except without the greeters and luggage transfer).

Comment

• Queenie
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by drnilescrane View Post
                            You are forgetting the Disneyland Resort Express Coach (Magical Express type arrangement between Disney and a bus line, except without the greeters and luggage transfer).
                            Tell me about the Disneyland Resort Express Coach--I've never heard of it.

Comment

• polygonaut
                              • May 2006

There are 2 'good neighbor hotels' in Shinagawa area.
                              It's called 'good neighbor hotel shuttle'
                              You need to make reservations in advance.
                              (These phone numbers are for shuttle reservation only)

--- Time tables for shuttles---

Shinagawa Prince Hotel (+81-3-3442-1054)

Hotel Pacific Tokyo (+81-3-3445-7616)

http://www.pacific-tokyo.com/access/access_002.html

Comment

• Queenie
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by polygonaut View Post
                                There are 2 'good neighbor hotels' in Shinagawa area.
                                It's called 'good neighbor hotel shuttle'
                                You need to make reservations in advance.
                                We're staying at the New Takanawa Prince which also offers shuttle service to Disney--or at least it did two years ago. The shuttle would definitely be my first choice but I'm not at all sure they'll take luggage. I suppose I should stop fretting about it and just ask the nice gentleman at the hotel desk and do whatever he tells me to do, but I'm finding myself being a bit OCD about the whole thing.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                  Banned User
                                  • Feb 2005

How do you know he will be a "nice" gentleman??

Comment

• Queenie
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                    How do you know he will be a "nice" gentleman??
                                    They only allow nice gentlemen to man hotel desks in Tokyo. It's a law or something. Just like you have to be cute to introduce people to your elevator.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X