Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Tokyo Disney Sea 5th Celebrations:The Hangover!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tokyo Disney Sea 5th Celebrations:The Hangover!

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post

Aren't they already making a profit? I could've sworn that the annual report released by the OLC stated that they were making a profit. They passed the $3 billion investment mark for Tokyo DisneySea long ago.
    Correct. OLC has never gone into the red with TDR. While attendance at TDS is not what was hoped for, it's certainly no disappointment either when compared to DCA for example.

Originally posted by TBAAFAN
    If the people in Tokyo prefer a Magic Kingdom style park over the theming at Tokyo Disney Sea, then the next port built there should be a Fantasyland themed port next to Lost River Delta.
    What do you think Mermaid Lagoon is??? Albeit, I would love to see the mythological aspect of Beastly kingdom broght to life here... After all, Mythica does such a great job of it every afternoon.

Originally posted by Futureimagineer183
    This might be totally off topic but maybeTDR needs a 2fer deal.
    The resort already offers discounts on ongoing basis for both TDL and TDS, such as After 6pm passports, discounted seasonal admission to residents in the area or students, etc etc. There is no need to offer 2nd gate deals here as crowds at TDS have always been very visible, as opposed to the days when DCA saw 4,000 or so guests per day. TDS seems to hit 15 to 20,000 guests daily on it's slower days..(that is an assessment based on my observations)

I stand corrected. Maybe your right, TDS does need more dark rides.
    Not so fast there... you are right on the 2nd deal... but you got it wrong too. One of the primary reasons why TDS has had a hard time getting it's fair share of guests is because of the restrictive policies of pass admission at TDR. The fact that guests can't parkhop unless they buy a 3 or 4 day passport or a premium AP hurts TDS' numbers the most, as most guests with limited time will always choose TDL over TDS for a quick visit. Inmy opinion... it has nothing to do with a park having better quality over the other... but TDL will always win because it's what Disneyland is supposed to be about, and also because TDL does have more to offer, hence it's a better value for a short 1 or 2 day visit to TDR. As for TDS needing more dark rides... well..sure! It would be nice to see more dark rides, but TDS already is a full day experience with enough rides, shows and things to do to fill your 9am till 10pm agenda. Trust me on that. Whether some of you may just be "ride crazy" as opposed to taking in the whole TDS experience.. well frankly, that is the guest's fault more that TDS'.

Comment

For some reason, they list Mermaid Lagoon Theatre as an attraction while listing Mystic Rhythms and Big Band Beat as shows. I don't know what makes Mermaid Lagoon Theatre so special to make it classify as an attraction.
      Mermaid Lagoon Theater and Magic Lamp Theater are attractions since they feature continuous performances just like "Indiana Jones" or "StormRider". The basic difference is in the use of live performers instead of only AA's or a moving vehicle. Mystic Rhythms is a scheduled stage show with appointed times that guests can view the performance.

Now, the difference may be subtle and I may not necessarily agree with their classifications, but this was explained to the media back when the Park opened.

JoeInJpn
      http://www.jtcent.com
      JoeInJpn
      Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
      For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
      Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        TDS already is a full day experience with enough rides, shows and things to do to fill your 9am till 10pm agenda. Trust me on that. Whether some of you may just be "ride crazy" as opposed to taking in the whole TDS experience.. well frankly, that is the guest's fault more that TDS'.
        I agree. I can easily spend 2-3 days at Tokyo DisneySea and still see something new each time. In fact, that is exactly what I did when I visited. I only left one day for Tokyo Disneyland, as I had seen most of it here in Disneyland. I caught most of the attractions, saw the Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights, felt like I got a good feel for the park, then went back to Tokyo DisneySea. It just offers so much more than any other Disney park for me, beating even the Magic Kingdom style parks.

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
        Mermaid Lagoon Theater and Magic Lamp Theater are attractions since they feature continuous performances just like "Indiana Jones" or "StormRider". The basic difference is in the use of live performers instead of only AA's or a moving vehicle. Mystic Rhythms is a scheduled stage show with appointed times that guests can view the performance.

Now, the difference may be subtle and I may not necessarily agree with their classifications, but this was explained to the media back when the Park opened.

JoeInJpn
        http://www.jtcent.com
        Thanks for the explanation.
        ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Not so fast there... you are right on the 2nd deal... but you got it wrong too. One of the primary reasons why TDS has had a hard time getting it's fair share of guests is because of the restrictive policies of pass admission at TDR. The fact that guests can't parkhop unless they buy a 3 or 4 day passport or a premium AP hurts TDS' numbers the most, as most guests with limited time will always choose TDL over TDS for a quick visit. Inmy opinion... it has nothing to do with a park having better quality over the other... but TDL will always win because it's what Disneyland is supposed to be about, and also because TDL does have more to offer, hence it's a better value for a short 1 or 2 day visit to TDR. As for TDS needing more dark rides... well..sure! It would be nice to see more dark rides, but TDS already is a full day experience with enough rides, shows and things to do to fill your 9am till 10pm agenda. Trust me on that. Whether some of you may just be "ride crazy" as opposed to taking in the whole TDS experience.. well frankly, that is the guest's fault more that TDS'.
          Thanks for the facts. This just brings up one question, why are people complaining then if TDS is doing great? It's not AS great as they expected, but there are still big numbers of attendence. Your right, TDS doesn't need to change. The reason that it has less number than DL has been stated more than once, TDS lacks Disney characters, which is what the Jap. love. But I see they are starting to work on that little, by little with those shows of theirs.

Personally, my excitement to go to TDS and TDL are equal for they both have unique experiences you wont find in the American Parks. When I'm off to college, I'll make sure to squeeze TDR in, for I most likely will study overseas (New Zealand and Paris are top of my list right now) with the exchange program offered in many colleges. All that you guys and I have to do is wait and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
            It's just the style of theater, the show, and the fact that you can hold fastpasses.
            How do you linejump on a theater where a crowd of people go in at once? The only saving grace of FP on regular attractions is that things operate normally no matter which line they pull the next guest from.

And no, since I'm asking, I've seen neither country's Mermaid show which I know both have FP. It's not my favorite story, even though I hear the Tokyo one has a bunch of aerialist stuff.

I can imagine so. It cost about $1.4 billion to build back in 1982 and it too had trouble. People criticized it for being un-Disney and boring, not containing enough attractions. However, it has grown to be the favorite out of the 4 Disney parks at Walt Disney World for many. Maybe it will just take time for Tokyo DisneySea to win people over.
            EPCOT had to bend a bit to tastes as much as tastes had to bend to EPCOT.

I've mentioned this before, but I think a great idea for the next land at TDS would be a Port of Imagination with the JII characters. Figment could be a popular character since he'd be new to that area aside from the guests who have visited WDW and would give at least part of the park it's own mascot. Dreamfinder, with a bit of a cultural makeover (make him look more a bit more like a cartoon character, a bit less like a real person) would work, too. The imagination theme leaves the door open to any number of fictions without playing "what region is this idea best suited for?" with the current lands.

Supposedly, WDI is working on a new JII and pinning it being green-lit to celebrate Epcot's 25th but I don't think it's going to happen. Whether it does or does not, bringing it to TDS as the centerpiece of a brightly colored new land would give that park the whimsy touch it's missing out on.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
              Thanks for the facts. This just brings up one question, why are people complaining then if TDS is doing great? It's not AS great as they expected, but there are still big numbers of attendence. Your right, TDS doesn't need to change. The reason that it has less number than DL has been stated more than once, TDS lacks Disney characters, which is what the Jap. love. But I see they are starting to work on that little, by little with those shows of theirs.
              Tokyo DisneySea is the world's 4th most visited theme park right after the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, and Tokyo Disneyland. 12 million guests a year is nothing to laugh at, as Tokyo DisneySea is the world's most successful second gate and the fastest theme park to reach the 10 million mark (which it did in just 10 months).

Personally, my excitement to go to TDS and TDL are equal for they both have unique experiences you wont find in the American Parks.
              You got that right. Visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort was a fresh, new experience. I especially liked not knowing what to expect, as Tokyo DisneySea is unlike any other theme park in the world. Even when I knew that Tokyo Disneyland was just another Magic Kingdom, I was still impressed by everything inside (especially Pooh's Hunny Hunt).

Comment

This just brings up one question, why are people complaining then if TDS is doing great? It's not AS great as they expected, but there are still big numbers of attendence.
                The only ones I hear complaining are the ride geeks and those who are blind to architectural motifs and theming. Everyone else I see in that park appear to be enjoying themselves quite a lot. Or else, they hide their displeasure well.

The reason that it has less number than DL has been stated more than once, TDS lacks Disney characters, which is what the Jap. love. But I see they are starting to work on that little, by little with those shows of theirs.
                That statement is wrong. TDS has been character-intensive since day1. featuring 3 major shows with characters on opening day and many opportunities for character meet and greets, not to mention lands that were designed and built around newer and beloved Disney characters... such as Ariel (Mermaid Lagoon) and Aladdin (Arabian Coast). TDS was also the park that debuted several rubberheads not ever seen by yours truly in any other Disney park on earth, such as the chef from Lit Mermaid and few others. Seems to me OLC has always recognized the japanese' love affair with Disney characters and TDS' offerings were no exception. In fact, many of the other resort around the World have started adding on to their character meet line ups in a move that mirrors what TDR has been doing like... forever since I first set foot in TDL in 1989.

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                How do you linejump on a theater where a crowd of people go in at once? The only saving grace of FP on regular attractions is that things operate normally no matter which line they pull the next guest from.
                Yet another reason why FP must be terminated at once. Waste of time and resources. Just imagine how many more custodial workers we could have at WDW if they eliminated the staffin necesary to man the FP machines and the stand by lines.

I've seen neither country's Mermaid show which I know both have FP. It's not my favorite story, even though I hear the Tokyo one has a bunch of aerialist stuff.
                And you wonder why I do not respect your opinions much in regards to TDR and Disney in particular. Why do you feel qualified to offer an opinion about these parks in particular if you have not taken the time to experience everything there is to be done at them?? Reason why you telling me you went to TDS leaves me with a feeling of... "so what?"

Comment

Okay, some of us don't have the means to do everything on our first trip. There must be sacrifices. Personally, I'm glad I got in line for Journey a second time rather than got in line for a Little Mermaid event.

Now that I'm prepared for any international travel and I know a 12 hour flight won't kill me, I'm going to do it right next time. We're talking MiraCosta all the way unless the TDLH does something to convince me otherwise.

Comment

You can't tell the difference between great theming and mediocre, so why even begin to make comparisons between two ultra-luxurious hotels on TDR property? You should be comparing between Vegas or DL and TDR. The TDLH will be yet another palace of elegance unlike the most expensive hotels at other Disney Resorts are capable of offering right now. Don't let the nice room refurbishment at the Contemporary fool you... It's all about the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                      Now that I'm prepared for any international travel and I know a 12 hour flight won't kill me, I'm going to do it right next time. We're talking MiraCosta all the way unless the TDLH does something to convince me otherwise.
                      I'm planning to stay at the Hotel MiraCosta every time that I go to Tokyo now. Without a doubt the best view ever offered in a hotel ever! I highly recommend it. Do not miss out and take the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel instead as you will deeply regret it.

I've stayed at the Grand Floridian plus the Disneyland Hotel in Disneyland Paris and I can safely say that the Hotel MiraCosta trumps them all; it's really in a class of its own amongst Disney hotels. I don't think the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel will be much different from those two and I don't see what else it could possibly offer.

The Tokyo Disneyland Hotel certainly cannot beat the Hotel MiraCosta's location inside Tokyo DisneySea, nor the magnetic views of Mediterranean Harbor. I doubt it can even compare to the charm, class, and exquisiteness of the Hotel MiraCosta. Don't forget that it cost over $1 billion to build and design the Hotel MiraCosta, while it is costing only about $380 million to build the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. Also keep in mind that the Hotel MiraCosta is only HALF the size. If it were the same size as the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, the Hotel MiraCosta would be worth over 5 times more!

All that money was poured into theming, especially architectural elements. Take your money and spend it on something of much higher quality; splurge a bit and stay a night or two at the Hotel MiraCosta. I can guarantee that you'll enjoy it more than the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, though you can probably save a bit of money staying at the latter as I hear the price range is somewhere between the Ambassador Hotel and the Hotel MiraCosta.

Comment

You should be comparing between Vegas or DL and TDR. The TDLH will be yet another palace of elegance unlike the most expensive hotels at other Disney Resorts are capable of offering right now. Don't let the nice room refurbishment at the Contemporary fool you... It's all about the big picture.
                        Aside from the high levels of Walt Per Square Inch contained in the Contemporary A-frame, I have no love affair with any WDW hotels. Miracosta is on my list because it is reasonably priced for what you appear to get (which is why I will never stay at GF! Ever! Poor costroduct ratio! My Dad probably would if sweet-talked into it, though) and from the public spaces it met my expectations of being as ritzy as I thought it would be instead of the hyped-up Golden Nugget with Mandalay Bay rooms that they call the GF.

I'll post a new thread in the WDW forum about a GF ultrasuite I was dreaming up. Let's just say that Disney could learn a few things from MGM Grand.

Comment

I don't know if a new port would work that well. It would require lots of things to be changed, including the mural inside the lobby of the MiraCosta and numerous antique maps inside as well. Also, the 7 port of calls ties in nicely with the 7 Seas theme as well. I say just expand on existing ports, especially Port Discovery.

Tokyo DisneySea needs one or two E-ticket dark rides like Pooh's Hunny Hunt. The best places for a dark ride would be in Mermaid Lagoon and Arabian Coast because this gives them the chance to include Disney characters as well, something proven to be very popular to the Japanese. They should avoid going too realistic and having full blown storylines like Tower of Terror and just design something simplistic and enjoyable.

Like I said before, I would absolutely adore a Little Mermaid dark ride using Pooh's Hunny Hunt technology. Who cares if the scenes from the movie were used in the Mermaid Lagoon Theatre; just make up a new storyline.

An Aladdin dark ride would also be great and allow a character tie-in to anchor that part of the park. As of now, the genie is the only character from the movie to be included in an attraction. Aladdin NEEDS to have his own attraction; having Jasmine would be a nice touch too. Imagine a fast-paced ride on the Magic Carpet through the Cave of Wonders!
                          Two movies I've always thought needed to be represented in dark rides. Your ideas sound great however, there doesn't appear to be too much room. Whenever I switch to Imagineering mode in my brain, I look at google earth and picture where I could put the rides and I've considered dark rides in both of those ports but it just doesn't seem possible unless they build underwater tunnels to the other side of the park.

A magic carpet ride would be wonderful indeed, it's much needed. The Little Mermaid doesn't need Pooh's technology, they already designed a fabulous ride that was featured on the dvd. That ride should be brought back into consideration, updated a bit and put in. However, there's little room. The only solution could be stacking it on top of the existing Mermaid building or removing something.

I do like the ports how they are now, but that really is one large piece of land. It would either tie in with Lost River Delta or Port Discovery if they just expand those. And what could it be? That land shouldn't be wasted on anything short of spectacular.

Comment

Two movies I've always thought needed to be represented in dark rides. Your ideas sound great however, there doesn't appear to be too much room. Whenever I switch to Imagineering mode in my brain, I look at google earth and picture where I could put the rides and I've considered dark rides in both of those ports but it just doesn't seem possible unless they build underwater tunnels to the other side of the park.
                            The underwater tunnel would be a great idea, especially for Mermaid Lagoon. It could be themed as a water vortex, reminiscent of what's in the Poseidon's Fury attraction at Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

Maybe the Aladdin dark ride could be built somewhere backstage too.

I do like the ports how they are now, but that really is one large piece of land. It would either tie in with Lost River Delta or Port Discovery if they just expand those. And what could it be? That land shouldn't be wasted on anything short of spectacular.
                            I think it would be possible to split the land between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery. Lost River Delta could use a Splash Mountain type ride but that would bring it up to 3 E-tickets! I really feel Port Discovery should expand more because StormRider is the only major draw; maybe a large-scale futuristic coaster similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris? A coaster would definitely draw crowds in, but it would have to be a step above even Space Mountain to fit Tokyo DisneySea. Looking at the map, I can see that there's enough space for both!

Comment

The underwater tunnel would be a great idea, especially for Mermaid Lagoon. It could be themed as a water vortex, reminiscent of what's in the Poseidon's Fury attraction at Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

Maybe the Aladdin dark ride could be built somewhere backstage too.
                              Haha I didn't really mean that as a possible solution but I guess that it could work. It would be very expensive though. I've looked at the backstage areas and it looks like they would have to get rid of certain roads or buildings to make room for rides in Arabian Coast.

I think it would be possible to split the land between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery. Lost River Delta could use a Splash Mountain type ride but that would bring it up to 3 E-tickets! I really feel Port Discovery should expand more because StormRider is the only major draw; maybe a large-scale futuristic coaster similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris? A coaster would definitely draw crowds in, but it would have to be a step above even Space Mountain to fit Tokyo DisneySea. Looking at the map, I can see that there's enough space for both!
                              That could work.

Comment

What do you think Mermaid Lagoon is??? Albeit, I would love to see the mythological aspect of Beastly kingdom broght to life here... After all, Mythica does such a great job of it every afternoon.

I like the Beastly Kingdom idea. But what I was talking about is a port themed to a quaint seaside European vilage (much like Fantasyland). It would have many dark rides (like Beauty and the beast), and perhaps a Dumbo the flying elephant and Mad tea party ride (I know there is a similar ride in Mermaid Lagoon but having 2 wouldn't hurt and it could help the theming). And the main icon of this port would be a saeside castle sitting on the water.

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

Comment

Still, the concent sound too similar to Mermaid Lagoon... and the attractions youpropose sound better suited to TDL's fantasyland than TDS' nautical themes. Unless you can put Belle in a two-piece bathing suit and the Beast in speedos... I am not quite convinced.

Comment

Im going with a idea of a TDS version of Toon Town.A perfect place to copy the new Crush attraction currently being built in the Studios at WDS.Plus a new way to bring a bit more Disney into this park.
                                    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Working...
                                    X