• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnm744
    New MiceChatter
    • Jan 2007

English?

Hello,

I will be visiting TDL in March and I am wondering if the shows and rides are in English or Japanese?

Thanks!
  • ZeekSlider
    EPCOT Citizen
    • Dec 2006

Re: English?

From the video's I've seen, most of the attractions are in Japanese. There are some English attractions like Big Band Beat in TDS, as well as some Japanese/English combination attractions like Mythica.

But the park tends to lean towards the native language of the area.

That being said, you can get a pretty good understanding of what is going on even if you don't know what they are saying. They do a really good job of evoking feelings, particularly with their version of Tower of Terror.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

• lashbear
      Down Under without Nemo..
      • Jan 2005

I have very sukoshi (little) Japanese, and I had a ball. Language is nt a problem, and the only time things would be confusing is during the rides you're unfamiliar with. (I take it you've been to WDW or DL)

You won't understand the dialogue in 20,000 leagues under the sea, and it is quite an element of the show, so there is a good picture of the plan for 20,000 leagues under the sea (including all the dialogue) here **Contains Spoilers** http://www.scottshermandesign.com/im...o7RidePlan.jpg but beware - it's big ! It's from Scott Sherman's design page and you ought to look at his whole site - just amazing. http://www.scottshermandesign.com/html/showdesign1.html

There is minimal dialogue in Sinbad's voyages, so you should be able to folow the story there, but you won't understand much of the Aladdin Magic Lamp theatre - DO go and see it though, the effects are fun and it is a good show regardless.

Journey to the centre of the earth works without dialogue as well. Big Scary Lava Monster = Get Out Quick !!!!

I haven't been on Hightower Hotel - the TOT- but videos I've seen indicate the the pre-show set-up is in Japanese. THe website has no english bits, but you might want to have a look http://www.tot1899.com/index.html as it fills you in on a lot of the backstory as well using pictures & video clips. I spent hours looking and exploring. Make sure you click through ALL the dialogue and click on EVERYTHING - it's just like an adventure game !!

TDL park is fine - you might not understand the tiki-birds, but you'll know what they're saying anyway.

all the rest is a piece of cake. All the cast go out of their way to help you and most understand fundimental english. If not, gestures and sign language get the message across !

Have a ball - you'll love it !
      DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
      DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
      DLR Tokyo - 2005
      DLR Paris - 2011
      DLR Hong Kong -2011
      DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

• DreamSweetsLove
        Loves Mickey!
        • Oct 2006

That Scott Sherman page is really interesting thank you for sharing!
        Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
        https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Comment

• Parisi
          I'll Break your Thumbs!!
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mnm744 View Post
          Hello,

I will be visiting TDL in March and I am wondering if the shows and rides are in English or Japanese?

Thanks!
          When I visited TDS sept 05, every ride was in japanese (20k Leagues, Journey to the center of the earth, Stormrider, Indy Jones, Alladin) So I just kinda sat back and enjoyed the rides. I didnt go to TDL, so I am not sure, but I am going to say that yes they are all going to be in japanese....

Comment

• Great Mr. Lincoln
            Sock Puppet
            • Dec 2006

They provide hand-held translation devices for English-language translation of the Magic Lamp Theater Show (including the pre-show). Make sure you ask a castmember for one as soon as you enter.

Comment

• lashbear
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Great Mr. Lincoln View Post
              They provide hand-held translation devices for English-language translation of the Magic Lamp Theater Show (including the pre-show). Make sure you ask a castmember for one as soon as you enter.
              Now they tell me ?? :shy:
              DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
              DLR Tokyo - 2005
              DLR Paris - 2011
              DLR Hong Kong -2011
              DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

• JoeInJpn
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by lashbear View Post
                Now they tell me ?? :shy:
                Lashbear, when was the last time you visited TDR? Was it when I met you and your partner? If so, the language devices were not available then.

JoeInJpn
                JoeInJpn
                Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
                For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
                Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Comment

• TDLFAN
                  Banned User
                  • Feb 2005

Language has never been a problem for me at TDR. The quality of the shows and rides carries you thru. You may have a bit harder time dealing with some CMs who are simply unknowledgeable about English. However... try to understand... this is Japan. They do not have to be obligated to assist us in english, yet, there is no other more foreign culture that tries to be as accomodating to english speakers, so I love them for that. I feel the japanese guests who come to WDW get treated much much poorly in regards to their language needs than I have been at TDR in my 17 yrs of visiting that park.

Comment

• Great Mr. Lincoln
                    Sock Puppet
                    • Dec 2006

Generally language is not an issue at all. Those skills you picked up in grade school about understanding what's going on through context rather than specific words will help you greatly.

Yes, some attractions are entirely in Japanese (like the Country Bears and the Tiki Room and The Mickey Mouse Review), while others are mixed, and others are mostly in English (like the Haunted Mansion and Pirates). If you are a Disney fan and frequent park-goer in the US (and if you weren't, why would you be going all the way to Japan to visit a Disney Resort!) then you'll have no trouble because as already mentioned you'll be familiar with the shows.

And I would disagree that the dialogue to the following attractions is important--20,000 Leagues under the Sea is understandable after only one or two ride-throughs. You expend all of your craft's energy in killing the squid and sink farther down in the ocean. Sea Creatures then give you a push back to the surface. That's all you need to know at the basic level.
                    For Journey to the Center of the Earth, you don't need to know anything at all--it's a visual spectacle.
                    For Storm Rider, there is a board that displays simultaneous translation of the pre-show, which gives all the background. The dialogue during the ride is meaningless jibber-jabber--like what Captain Rex says in Star Tours.

You can always ask as cast member and, if he or she cannot speak enough English to assist you, they will get someone who can.

Comment

• lashbear
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JoeInJpn View Post
                      Lashbear, when was the last time you visited TDR? Was it when I met you and your partner? If so, the language devices were not available then.

JoeInJpn
                      http://www.jtcent.com
                      Hey Joe - Nope we haven't been back since March '05....
                      DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                      DLR Tokyo - 2005
                      DLR Paris - 2011
                      DLR Hong Kong -2011
                      DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

• Malin
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

When it comes to TDR English really is not a issue.All the park annoucements are made in both Japanese and English for the shows and parades.The Big Band Beat over at TDS which is a fantastic show is performed in full English.All the signs are either in Japanese and English or just English so you do get a good chance to pick up a lot of the back stories of the parks.The food menu's are all in English and if you do require help during your stay I recomend visiting Guest Relations where there is always an English speaking Castmember on hand to assist.Also while not many Castmembers have confidence in speaking English most do understand English which will help you in buying tickets and food etc.
                        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• Not Afraid
                          Gay Man
                          • Jan 2005

You must learn to speak Engrish.

(I'm so sorry. I resisted at least 3 times before I decided to be a bad person.)

On a serious note, I had no problems communicating in Japan. I know about 5 Japanese words but using my hand to talk helped quite a bit. I had an entire conversation about kitties with a shopkeeper using lots of hand gestures and very few common words.

Comment

• Mellywil
                            • Jan 2005

I agree that language is not a problem, and I found it easy enough to communicate outside of the Disney parks too. Learn a couple of polite words like hello, thankyou, please etc and you'll go a long way.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Japan armed with only the five Japanese words I know!
                            Next trip September 2013

Past trips:
                            May 2010 TDL and DisneySea
                            September 2006 TDL and DisneySea

Dec 2005 DL
                            June 2003 DL
                            Dec 2002 WDW
                            April 2002 DLP
                            Dec 2001 DL
                            Nov 2000 WDW
                            Oct 2000 DL
                            Oct 1997 WDW
                            April 1994 DL

Comment

• lashbear
                              • Jan 2005

One useful Japanese word for Disneyseas is Oishii (Oh-EE-Shee)

It means "Delicious" and you use it when you eat the Gyoza Roll there (the most popular food in the park).

If you're a japanese girl/woman you say it like "Oiiiishiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" :lol:
                              DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
                              DLR Tokyo - 2005
                              DLR Paris - 2011
                              DLR Hong Kong -2011
                              DLR Beijing -TBA

Comment

• nish221
                                Minion FOREVER!
                                • Mar 2005

It means "Delicious" and you use it when you eat the Gyoza Roll there (the most popular food in the park).

If you're a japanese girl/woman you say it like "Oiiiishiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" :lol:
                                If you want, you can say, "Toh teh moh Oishii!!" (very delicious!)
                                (I know; that's not proper romaji... just trying to make it easy to pronouce!)

Comment

• Not Afraid
                                  Gay Man
                                  • Jan 2005

My favorite Japanese word is Kawii! Only you have ti say it KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

Not to be confused with "oshi" which I believe it means... "stupid", but someone correct me??? So do NOT ask for an "oshibori" as "oshi".

Comment

• filmfreak11
                                      ...TWO BITS!
                                      • Sep 2005

I didn't know about the Magic Lamp translators until AFTER the show as well. Haha. But we didn't have time to go back and do it again.

Stormrider's pre-show has electronic English text near the ceiling, but it might be obstructed at times.

The CMs will still try to help you out.

You may not understand Japanese, but you'll still enjoy it.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                      -Jurassic Park

Comment

• ZeekSlider
                                        EPCOT Citizen
                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                        Not to be confused with "oshi" which I believe it means... "stupid", but someone correct me??? So do NOT ask for an "oshibori" as "oshi".
                                        I thought "baka" meant stupid, or are there two different ways to say it depending on the sevarity of the situation kind of like how there are several ways to show level of respect towards someone by the suffix chosen to add at the end of someone's name?
                                        WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X