Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Planning Tokyo Disney Trip

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Tokyo Disney Trip

I've never been to Japan before, and I'm planning to go sometime this year (I might not go, but I'm trying)... So I have a few questions.

1. Which airline is the most inexpensive and quickest? (meaning under 24 hours)
    2. Should I aim for July or August?
    3. Are there any good places to go in Tokyo besides Disney?
    4. What are some good hotels to stay at?
    5. How many days should I give to go to Disneyland and DisneySea?

I'll post some more questions when I can think of them.
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

Re: Planning Tokyo Disney Trip

Airline prices change depending when you go. Just do a general search with Orbitz or something like that. Last year I got $539 round trip from LAX on All Nippon Airways. The flight is around 11 hours from LA to Narita and just over 9 hours back.

I have never been in August but July is crowded, hot and smoggy. If you have the availability to tack on an extra day or two you won't regret it. I would suggest a 10 day (in Japan) trip with a day on either end for travel.

I have stayed at both Disney hotels and they are wonderful. Even if you can only stay there for 2 nights or so you'll definately love it. I have heard good things about the Tokyo Bay hotels although I have never stayed in one. The Tokyo Prince Hotel next to Tokyo Tower is very nice and reasonably priced. I tried to stay equidistant between the parks and friends who lived in E Village.

There is so much to do around Tokyo. Asakusa, Harajuku, Kita Kamakura, Mt Fuji, Yokohama. It's endless depending on how long you want to stay.

I would suggest 2 days at TDS (although you can fit it into one if you rush) and at least 3 days at the Magic Kingdom. The crowds are always more at the MK and popular attractions like Pooh's Hunny Hunt will be packed from open to close. Also, the Japanese wait for a long period of time for entertainment. From parades to shows in theatres you will have to wait for a great view. If you're taller you might get by without waiting as long, but since I'm only taller than the children there I need to wait.

Other MC'ers will be able to give you a lot more information. Several times that I went I stayed with friends who were on contract so I haven't done a lot of the sightseeing in many years. Have a wonderful time!

Comment

July is actually not a bad time to visit. It's a lot less crowded that August, and quite a bit wetter too. The rain keeps the crowds away, so every attraction at both parks will be a walk on.
      ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Thanks for the help, SorcererMickey and TDR Fan!

Also, I thought of another question... Once arriving at the Narita airport, how do I get to the Tokyo Disney Resort?
        I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

Argonaut - 1
        Sea Farer - 1

Comment

Originally posted by FinalAdventure View Post
          Thanks for the help, SorcererMickey and TDR Fan!

Also, I thought of another question... Once arriving at the Narita airport, how do I get to the Tokyo Disney Resort?
          The easiest way would be to take the limousine bus. Takes about 60-85 minutes though. You can buy tickets right at the counter as soon as leave baggage claim. Buy a ticket for Tokyo Disney Resort, it will take you directly to any hotel on property. Here's a list of stops for the Tokyo Disney Resort ticket.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/tim...ita/tdr_h.html

Comment

Ok, thanks everybody! So far, I think I've got the airplane and time to go (August) covered.

Can you tell me more about the places in Tokyo? What are they like? Which hotels should I stay in? (So many choices... I was thinking the MiraCosta or Sheraton or Hilton, but I'm not sure) Do you guys know any cool rides that are a must? (I'm already planning to do Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Sinbad's Voyages, StormRider, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc.) And any good restaurants? And what to do on a rainy day?

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

Argonaut - 1
            Sea Farer - 1

Comment

Ok, thanks everybody! So far, I think I've got the airplane and time to go (August) covered.

Can you tell me more about the places in Tokyo? What are they like? Which hotels should I stay in? (So many choices... I was thinking the MiraCosta or Sheraton or Hilton, but I'm not sure) Do you guys know any cool rides that are a must? (I'm already planning to do Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Sinbad's Voyages, StormRider, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc.) And any good restaurants? And what to do on a rainy day?
              I would definitely recommend the Hotel MiraCosta. It's by far the best Disney hotel I've ever stayed at and is on the top of my list of favorite hotels in the world. It's amazingly beautiful and detailed, plus the rooms offer phenomenal views of Mediterranean Harbor.

As far as attractions, you should hit all of the major E-ticket attractions at both parks. Do not miss Mystic Rhythms or Mermaid Lagoon Theatre at Tokyo DisneySea, as well as Big Band Beat. Be sure to catch Legend of Mythica and BraviSEAmo, plus the Electrical Parade Dreamlights at Tokyo Disneyland. They're fantastic!

For restaurants, Sailing Day Buffet at Tokyo DisneySea is a good choice. I would recommend Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall at Tokyo Disneyland; it's very decorated inside. If you're looking for elegant atmosphere, Magellan's and S.S. Columbia Dining Room are great choices. And on a lesser scale, Blue Bayou too.

On rainy days, parades and shows may be cancelled. However, all the attractions will have no lines! This will allow you to ride as many attractions and as many times as you want. Be prepared for the summer heat in August; it's very humid in Japan.

Comment

The bus is the way to go. The best part is the woman who gives the spiel, she sounds like a cross between Julie Andrews and Mrs Doubtfire. "Please do not use cellular phones as it annoys the neighbors."

Definately see Big Band Beat in TDS. Mickey near the finale will blow you away!
                One of my favorite places in TDS is Mermaid Lagoon. The show is wonderful. Also, you might walk past thinking its a kiddie ride but go on the Whirlpool. It is similar to the teacups except you don't have to spin it. If you and your party sit close together it will randomly spin and leave you with a case of the giggles.

I am a huge fan of the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall in the MK. The flank steak is delicious. Don't limit yourself to the attractions that are only in Tokyo, see as much as possible. TDR is an amazing place to be on vacation, even the Mickey Mouse Revue in all its 70's glory is something I see each time I'm there.

There's a little noodle counter service restaurant in Adventureland that's good and the scallop sandwich at the restaurant in Mermaid Lagoon is tasty. Don't forget to get a Gyoza dog and Sea Salt ice cream in TDS!!

Bring an umbrella. You can still have a great time in the rain. There are enough attractions and shows that will still be running during the rain.

Comment

I've never been to Japan before, and I'm planning to go sometime this year (I might not go, but I'm trying)... So I have a few questions.

1. Which airline is the most inexpensive and quickest? (meaning under 24 hours)
                  2. Should I aim for July or August?
                  3. Are there any good places to go in Tokyo besides Disney?
                  4. What are some good hotels to stay at?
                  5. How many days should I give to go to Disneyland and DisneySea?

I'll post some more questions when I can think of them.
                  1. Understanding airline prices is nearly impossible. I prefer Singapore over all and use it when it is in my budget.
                  2. July is pretty good. Stay away from late August.
                  3. YEAH!! Have a look at this: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
                  4. Well of course Disney hotels if they are in your budget. The five official hotels are very conviently located so I would recommend those.
                  5. If you really want to soak it in, buy a four day passport. One day at Disneyland, one day at DisneySea, and the other two days are hoppers.

Also, you probably want to look around here: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

Hope this helps!

Comment

I would go with TDR_Fan's recommendations if you have about $10,000 to blow on a trip like this.

There are ways to do just about everything, eat, sleep, get around, whatever that range in price. Like taking a trip to WDW, you really first need to know how much budget you're giving yourself, and then do what you can with that.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

I was going to post on this until I read everybody elses post's.Now I'm not going to bother because its all good info.We certainly have quite a few people on MiceChat with a fair bit knowledge regarding Japan and the Tokyo Disney Resort now days.
                      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice everyone, I appreciate it!

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

Argonaut - 1
                        Sea Farer - 1

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                          I would go with TDR_Fan's recommendations if you have about $10,000 to blow on a trip like this.

There are ways to do just about everything, eat, sleep, get around, whatever that range in price. Like taking a trip to WDW, you really first need to know how much budget you're giving yourself, and then do what you can with that.

-- PMM
                          $10,000 How about a trip for $2,000?

P.S.

How do you make reversations if you don't speak Japanese or know alot about the yen?
                          Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Making reservations for many hotels is easy, thanks to the Internet, you can make online reservations in moments and you never have to speak to anyone. Online currency converters can help you see what the Yen price really means in your own currency.

The 2 Disney hotels don't yet offer online booking BOO ;-) so if you decided to stay there you'll need to phone in person. Don't be surprised of the advisor doesn't speak English just say "do you speak English please?" When I did that there was some confusion then the girl said "wait please!" a few moment later a new advisor came on the line to say " You call back 2 O-clock" which I did.

At 2 i got passed onto a advisor who spoke basic English and I got my reservations sorted. A week later all the Info arrived via post.

You may melt...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X