I will likely be going to TDLR next summer.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GhostHost2
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2007

I will likely be going to TDLR next summer.

Some questions:

1. What part of summer between May and early August is best to go? What will the weather and crowds be like?

2. I want more than a 4-day pass, do I have to get an AP to get more than 4 days?

3. Are there any good ways to learn Japanese (computer programs and such) within a year? I want to be able to speak it and understand it when I hear it. I am not that concerned about reading and writing it.

4. I am in Atlanta, GA. Does anyone have any tips on getting cheaper fares? Should I fly into another city, then fly to Tokyo?

5. I am going to spend the majority of my time at TDS, I will still spend some time at TDL and ride everything in TDL at least once. Except for Pooh's Hunny Hunt, how different are the TDL rides from their American counterparts?

6. What other sights in the Tokyo area are worth seeing?

7. Of the hotels connected to the monorail system, which ones are fairly economical and have at least one person on staff that speaks English?

8. Are there headphones for English translations of any rides and shows?

9. Where should I check for up to date refurbishment scheldules?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by GhostHost2; 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM.
  • SpokkerJones
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: I will likely be going to TDLR next summer.

I cannot answer all of your questions but here are the ones I can.
    Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    1. What part of summer between May and early August is best to go? What will the weather and crowds be like?
    Avoid July and August for crowds. Avoid June and July for rain. Summer is the rainy season in Japan. Avoid the first week of May. That's Golden Week. Think of it as their version of spring break.

We went during the last week of May for six days and had a wonderful time. It rained for one full day. Tokyo Disney Sea crowds on a weekday were fairly light. 20 minute waits on all but Tower of Terror and Journey, which hit 40 midday. Weekends were a bit more crowded.

In any case, it will be hot and humid. Take a break midday for a cold shower and you will enjoy your trip much more.

2. I want more than a 4-day pass, do I have to get an AP to get more than 4 days?
    An annual pass is about $350 for one park and over $600 for both parks. If you wanted to stay more than four days it would be more economical to buy a four day pass and another 1 day or multiday ticket, whatever your needs are.

However 4 days should be more than enough to fully explore both parks.

If you decide to stay more than four days, remember, they do not sell 1 or 2 day park hopper passports. You can only park hop on the last day of a 3 day passport and the last two days of a 4 day passport. On the first two days you must choose a park for each day.

3. Are there any good ways to learn Japanese (computer programs and such) within a year? I want to be able to speak it and understand it when I hear it. I am not that concerned about reading and writing it.
    Just get a book and try to learn what you think is relevant to your trip. You don't need to be fluent.

5. I am going to spend the majority of my time at TDS, I will still spend some time at TDL and ride everything in TDL at least once. Except for Pooh's Hunny Hunt, how different are the TDL rides from their American counterparts?
    Many of the rides are based on the versions found at the Magic Kingdom. If you've ever been to MK many things will seem familiar to you.

7. Of the hotels connected to the monorail system, which ones are fairly economical and have at least one person on staff that speaks English?
    I found that the Tokyo Bay Hotel Tokyu was the most affordable out of the hotels there. Sunroute might've been cheaper but they were short on rooms.

Only Microadventure (HISTA) and The Magic Lamp Theater (also a 3d show) have an English version available that I know of. It will say so in the park guide.

Thanks.
    Here: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...ule/index.html
    Last edited by SpokkerJones; 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• 4 Park Central
      New MiceChatter
      • Jul 2007

Some questions:

2. I want more than a 4-day pass, do I have to get an AP to get more than 4 days?.
      To be honest the entire resort will be in the throws of the 25th - and if it is anything like the 15th or 20th it will be manic every single day. I don't think it will make much difference at all for the period you are looking at. Just avoid weekends like the plague as they are even worse.

Definitely buy a 4 day pass - first day is one park only, second day is one park only and then you can park-hop for the 3rd and 4th. Then buy another one or two days pass. You can also combine with an After 6 pass or Starlight pass ie. use your 1st or 2nd day at a fixed park and then buy the discounted tickets for the other park in the evening.

APs don't guarantee you entry either except for the single park ones so you don't get any priority at all over any other ticket media.

Comment

• TDLFAN
        Banned User
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post

Many of the rides are based on the versions found at the Magic Kingdom. If you've ever been to MK many things will seem familiar to you.
        Well.. that's not quite right. Only Small World, Grand Prix and Haunted mansion, and Country Bears (though the shows change seasonally) are exact copies of the MK ones. Splash is somewhat similar to MK's but with many altered sequences and scenes. Jungle Cruise is also very simialr to MK's but has differences and is a left handed version.. as is Splash. Big Thunder has similar features to MK's but is more of a DL knockoff in a grander scale and has better special effects over the MK's.
        Most everything else is similar to DL's rides... Like POTC, Space Mountain, RR's Cartoon Spin, Toontown rides, all of the dark C-tickets are more similar to DL's as well. Star Tours is the same as in DL, MGM and DLP, but has a much bigger and better queue. Most everything else is unique to TDL..like Hunny Hunt, Get the Fever Tiki Birds, and the Western River Train. One exception... Mickey Mouse revue.. same show we saw at the MK because it is the same AAs from WDW, but only in-theater traffic moves to the left, as opposed to the right like at WDW.
        So... my advise is to VISIT TDL, and experience it for the heck of it. After all, they have the best parades and shows of any park..which happen to be unique to that park as well.

Also... best time to visit in summer... Late June or early July. Chances of rain are 50-50... but it won't be as hot and humis as it is in August. Avoid weekends if you can, and arrive early so you can take in as much as possible... Howver, with the 25th anniversary in progress in 2008... who knows how bad the crowds will be? Depends on how much they advertize all over Japan and I am willing to bet they will do a lot of promotion.

Comment

• SpokkerJones
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

With its wide open spaces and Cinderella Castle overall it still feels a lot more like the Magic Kingdom.

Comment

• TDLFAN
            Banned User
            • Feb 2005

While it resembles the MK in some ways... I never feel like I am at the MK when in TDL. For many reasons.. TDL has a more polished look, cleaner, bigger, adventureland and Westerland do not resemble the MK's, they have an Orleans area, World bazaar (for obvious reasons), etc etc...

Comment

• DisneySeaFan
              Sea Creature
              • Aug 2005

Some questions:

June and July are for the most part very light on crowds. You are taking a chance with the weather though. It rains a lot in those months.

Well that solves your rain problem. You will most likely have one good weather day then. Here's this: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...ket/index.html
              It's all going to come down to how much you want and what's going to be more cost effective.

If you work at it and spend lots of time learning it, you can speak almost any language.

4. I am in Atlanta, GA. Does anyone have any tips on getting cheaper fares? Should I fly into another city, then fly to Tokyo?
              Book early.

I'd balance you're time, get everything that you want done but take your time. TDL rides are for the most part the same as the American counterparts with a few exceptions. Tokyo Disneyland does have a great lineup of rides, perhaps the best of any magic kingdom.

6. What other sights in the Tokyo area are worth seeing?
              Travel guide for the city of Tokyo, Japan.

You should be able to find at least one person if not many staff members speaking English at the Official hotels.

Just a few of the shows.

Thanks.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                Banned User
                • Feb 2005

Did I read correctly? You are not going to ride Hunny Hunt? One of the best and most technically advanced rides of any Disney park? Then do not bother going to TDL.

As for flying from Atlanta.. I would just take Delta non-stop, and get there and back without connections and hassles. The flight is long enough and not worth making it longer to save a few bucks, with connections thru other cities... but if you must do it that way... Do it the faster way... on UA or AA from Chicago, or NWA from Detroit or Minneapolis. Avoid going to the west coast to get to Asia. The trip is made longer that way.

As for tickets... unless you plan to return to Japan often in the next year, purchasing an AP is not a good option if you want to enjoy TDR more than 4 days. You are better off buying the 4-day pass, then purchasing a 3 or 4 day pass after that if you want to park hop some of those extra days. It is still much cheaper than getting an AP, which you would have to use over 14 times in a year to cover the expense of the price. Simply not a good idea IMHO.

Comment

• GhostHost2
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                  Did I read correctly? You are not going to ride Hunny Hunt? One of the best and most technically advanced rides of any Disney park? Then do not bother going to TDL.
                  Where did I say I didn't want to ride Hunny Hunt? I would love to ride Hunny Hunt.

Comment

• Malin
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

I think this could be the coment...
                    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

• GhostHost2
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                      I think this could be the coment...

I meant that to say, "what are the big differences other than Pooh's Hunny Hunt?".

Comment

• TDLFAN
                        Banned User
                        • Feb 2005

I meant that to say, "what are the big differences other than Pooh's Hunny Hunt?".
                        Oh, I now understand what you meant... I could sit here for over an hour typing away about the differences in the rides but I just don't have the time. However, they are similar to the ones they are reproduced from WDW and DL, but do have differences in props and settings. If I were you, I would just ride them and forget if they are similar or not. The fact that TDR maintains their rides in top notch form is in itself a major difference from ...say... WDW.

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2006

I only got to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt once because it opened on Saturday, when I was preparing to leave the next day. I waited about 20 minutes to get a Fastpass and could not go on right after because they still didn't open the attraction. By the time I got back to check, the standby line was over 80 minutes; Fastpass was all gone by 10:30 a.m.
                          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• hawachan
                            MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                            I only got to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt once because it opened on Saturday, when I was preparing to leave the next day. I waited about 20 minutes to get a Fastpass and could not go on right after because they still didn't open the attraction. By the time I got back to check, the standby line was over 80 minutes; Fastpass was all gone by 10:30 a.m.
                            Did you notice any changes??

Comment

• TDR_Fan
                              MiceChatter
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by hawachan View Post
                              Did you notice any changes??
                              Nope, it was pretty much just given the usual refurb treatment. I wonder why it took 2 months.
                              Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

• SpokkerJones
                                Banned User
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                                Nope, it was pretty much just given the usual refurb treatment. I wonder why it took 2 months.
                                Maybe they could be closing rides in order to save money and disguising it as a refurb.

Comment

• Malin
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2005

JoeInJpn mention just recently on here that a lot of the key signature attractions like Pooh were going down for long periods in order to get everything looking fresh and new for the 25th Anniversary.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SpokkerJones View Post
                                    Maybe they could be closing rides in order to save money and disguising it as a refurb.
                                    I can see WDW doing stuff like that, but not TDR. Too busy... they need those rides opened.

Comment

• Malin
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                      I can see WDW doing stuff like that, but not TDR. Too busy... they need those rides opened.
                                      I hope WDW Managment who read MiceChat don't come across this thread.It may give them ideas!

Comment

• WorldDisney
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jul 2007

Ghosthost2,

Everyone seem to answer most of your questions just fine, so I can't really add all that much, but for wanting to be in the parks longer than 4 days, my advice would be to get you a 'after 6' pass on the 5th day. I honestly think unless the parks are wall-to-wall jammed, 4 days IS enough IMO. But, if you really feel like you need to do more, but don't want to pay for more full price tickets, that one comes in handy and you can pick a park of your favorites and do your favorite attractions again. The pass is around $25 when adjusted, so not a bad deal even though its only 4 hours in the park.

Or you can just buy another all day pass lol. Just a tip if you don't know about this already .

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X