X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TDR: Attendance Up 1.1% in First Half 07

Originally posted by Malin View Post
    Except with Epcot the parks easily laid out. You have your pavilions and your World Showcase within easy walking distance. Just face it layout wise TDS is a mess. And is very difficult for anyone to navigate around.
    Again, I disagree. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think my opinion is just as valid as your's. Most people I've talked to had no problems navigating the park. The layout is so simple. Mysterious Island basically acts as a central port anyways for going to and from a port.
    Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

You summed up my thoughts exactly. Regarding being able to see elements from other ports, I think it's no different than being able to see the castle from Tomorrowland/Discoveryland, or Space Mountain from Fantasyland. In DisneySea's case, I think the surrounding elements actually blend together very well. Mount Prometheus seems to blend in just fine with every area it is visible from. The winding pathways and multiple levels make Tokyo DisneySea more exciting than the flat layout of the Magic Kingdoms. I love all the little secret areas too. Very intimate. I find the layout very immersive and effective for me, and I love taking the stairs and elevated walkways to get to different ports. So for me, the layout is fantastic and extremely easy to navigate. I don't think anyone can get lost in the park; it's just the large size of the park that makes it seem like you're walking forever. Which I don't mind at all when there are beautiful vistas along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
        Again, I disagree. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think my opinion is just as valid as your's. Most people I've talked to had no problems navigating the park. The layout is so simple. Mysterious Island basically acts as a central port anyways for going to and from a port.
        Ok than say your in Arabian Coast and you want to get over to American Waterfront to catch the Big Band Beat. What direction do you go in. I bet it involves walking back through most of the park. Tell me how you can think this isn't a design flaw.
        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Ok than say your in Arabian Coast and you want to get over to American Waterfront to catch the Big Band Beat. What direction do you go in. I bet it involves walking back through most of the park. Tell me how you can think this isn't a design flaw.
          Hardly a design flaw i can't go from American Adventure to Living Seas without going through a hand full of countries and bypassing some pavillions. or Paradise Pier to backlot is a bit of a treck (DCA)......

Magic Kingdoms hub desisgn is as close to perfect as you can get but even then try getting from toontown to frointierland in WDW or critter contry to toontown DL without a detour through other lands.

a design flaw causes a product to break down or fail to work as intended, at most Disneyseas layout can be viewed as a slightly inconvenient or time consuming, it's not as if your required to walk across a desolate unfinished wasteland between areas.

If it is truly an design flaw that journeying between some lands to another requires you to pass through interconecting lands the every theme park in the world (or at least those of which i'm familiair) share this same flaw with exeception of DLP and HKDL (but i'm ready to be corrected)

i will grant you that TDS jigsaw of areas and grandious design may empahsise this problem slightly.
          Last edited by steamboat will; 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM.

Comment

It's a long distance, but very easily navigable. Don't think that would categorize as a design flaw since the situation you quoted would be walking from one corner of the park to the other. Of course it's going to take a while. Look at the examples steamboat will listed above. They would require quite a bit of walking too, if not more.

Comment

And who's to say the Epcot concept isn't flawed too than. To me a theme park should be easy to navigate around and one land should be in easy walking distance of the other. Shame your love of TDS is getting in the way of you seeing this.

Comment

And who's to say the Epcot concept isn't flawed too than. To me a theme park should be easy to navigate around and one land should be in easy walking distance of the other. Shame your love of TDS is getting in the way of you seeing this.
                I'm not the only one arguing against your claim.

Comment

As i always say......

Thank goodness we all like different things, How dull the world would be if we were all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by steamboat will View Post
                    As i always say......

Thank goodness we all like different things, How dull the world would be if we were all the same.
                    I agree. On the topic of layout though, I do find that Animal Kingdom is the hardest park to navigate. There are so many dead ends, and having to trace your way back to Discovery Island just to get to the other lands gets annoying. At least at the Magic Kingdoms, they have pathways linking the different lands. It's very hard to navigate when the park is crowded. For example, exiting the park from Dinoland requires you to go all the way back up to Discovery Island and then through the Oasis. In reality, Dinoland is right besides the main entrance of the park. A good 15 minutes could be saved by creating a short cut there. The problem was even worse when the park opened since there wasn't a bridge connecting Asia with Dinoland. Thank god for the pathway linking Africa with Asia.

Comment

i remember the reports of the logistical nightmare that were Animal Kingdoms early days...

That little bridge over to camp minnie mickey getting clogged with lines of people waiting to get over to see the 2 shows. apparently it was mayhem no one knew which line was for which show or where they began or ended. LOL

And don't even get me stated on strollers LOL seems like parking was severly under estimated resulting in cast stacking LITERALLY STACKING them 2 deep ontop of each other just to free up walkways....

Then there is the plan that camp MM will eventually be the gateway to the new Mythical creature land Meaning traffic over that single bridge may double or more overnight.

LOGISTICAL NIGHTMARE Great park though ....

Comment

You know, I'm surprised nobody's pointed out how the presence of WATER affects our layout gripes. Every park we're complaining about - Epcot, Animal Kingdom, DisneySea - they all require detours around large bodies of water. Then we compare them to the Magic Kingdom parks that really don't have any bodies of water that require navigation around (except for the RoA in Disneyland maybe), and therefore can provide far more direct routes.

In DisneySea's case we should certainly take all the water and the routes over & around it into consideration. The presence of water in DisneySea does NOT hurt it.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Than I conclude the second best gate for layout and navigation goes to the Walt Disney Studios Paris. Where all attractions can easily be reached within 30 seconds or so...

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                            I'm not the only one arguing against your claim.
                            I know and I will deal with him in my own time to qoute Marco Piere Wright.

Comment

Than I conclude the second best gate for layout and navigation goes to the Walt Disney Studios Paris. Where all attractions can easily be reached within 30 seconds or so...
                              Most easily navigable, sure. There is more to layout than how close everything is. The transition of different lands, the tasteful blending of vistas and sightlines, etc. So I do not think it has the best layout. In fact, I find the layout rather bland.

Comment

You can come across as such a snob at times.

Comment

Whatever you say.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X