This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDS Backstorys

Obviously everything in TDS has some kind of backstory to it. Take for instance Tower of Terror with the tragic accident involving the Harrison Hightower and the cursed statue. Well that is one of the more well known story's of the park, but what I wanted to know was do any of you know of any other less well known backstorys that any of you care to discuss?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: TDS Backstorys

i guess some backstories are explained in the Q lines Sinbad, Indi, Stormrider.

My fave backstory of all time has to be Pantom Manor at DLP. GOSH it has such a elaborate story, and most guest never even have a clue they just enjoy the ride for what it is.

Comment

There are a few backstories I know (especially Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, because I've read the books)...

Tower of Terror, as you mentioned, is about the disappearance of Harrison Hightower III. Ok, so you probably already know that backstory.

In Journey to the Center of the Earth, there were these three explorers, Otto Lindenbrock, Axel, and Hans, who went to explore the crater of Scartaris in Iceland when they found an ancient cryptogram left behind by Arne Saknuessem, a 1500's Icelandic scholar. It was legend that Arne Sakneussem had found the path that lead to the Earth's core. So the three explorers went down the crater of Scartaris, wandered down tunnels and caves, until they finally found a passage that ended in this subterranean world: the ocean. Here, they found the mushroom forest, the crystal caverns, Axel Island, prehistoric harbor, etc. And they exited the core via volcano, only to find themselves in Italy. Lindenbrock became the most famous scientist ever for actually discovering the mysteries of underground. After he published his works, we find them in the queue, when we see the bizarre and unique creatures in the lab, the pictures on the walls, etc. Then we're going to the center of the earth, but on a slightly different path.

As for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Captain Nemo was a mystery until Professor Arronax, his trusted friend, Conseil, and the harpoonist, Ned Land, discovered him. All three were on board the Abraham Lincoln (a ship), searching for a gigantic sea monster that could light up the sea waters, swim double the speed of any ship, and had indestructible scales, so when harpooned, the device would bounce off. All three were thrown overboard when the thing crashed into the side of the ship, and they found the sea monster floating in the water deadly still. They climbed on top of this huge thing, and realized it was a machine rather than beast -- a submarine. Crew members took the three men captive, and a few days later, Captain Nemo addresses them himself, saying he held them prison, because they attacked him. He says that since they've found him, they have to keep it a secret, so they've become permanent guests aboard the Nautilus. They travel together for 20,000 leagues underwater, discovering the polar ice cap, underwater volcanos, and the secret continent of Atlantis. Captain Nemo is a very mysterious figure, and at the end, the last that's seen of Nemo is during a maelstrom... the three men escape, but Nemo is left behind in his submarine. Nobody knows if he survived or not, until The Mysterious Island, another Jules Verne novel, came out.
      So the backstory is that you're travel on the Neptune, a mini submarine, rather than the Nautilus, out to find everything that Captain Nemo found during his underwater voyage.

I'm not so sure about the other rides, but I've read the Jules Verne books, so I guess that's the backstory.
      I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
      Argonaut - 1
      Sea Farer - 1

Comment

Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by FinalAdventure View Post
          There are a few backstories I know (especially Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, because I've read the books)...

Tower of Terror, as you mentioned, is about the disappearance of Harrison Hightower III. Ok, so you probably already know that backstory.

In Journey to the Center of the Earth, there were these three explorers, Otto Lindenbrock, Axel, and Hans, who went to explore the crater of Scartaris in Iceland when they found an ancient cryptogram left behind by Arne Saknuessem, a 1500's Icelandic scholar. It was legend that Arne Sakneussem had found the path that lead to the Earth's core. So the three explorers went down the crater of Scartaris, wandered down tunnels and caves, until they finally found a passage that ended in this subterranean world: the ocean. Here, they found the mushroom forest, the crystal caverns, Axel Island, prehistoric harbor, etc. And they exited the core via volcano, only to find themselves in Italy. Lindenbrock became the most famous scientist ever for actually discovering the mysteries of underground. After he published his works, we find them in the queue, when we see the bizarre and unique creatures in the lab, the pictures on the walls, etc. Then we're going to the center of the earth, but on a slightly different path.

As for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Captain Nemo was a mystery until Professor Arronax, his trusted friend, Conseil, and the harpoonist, Ned Land, discovered him. All three were on board the Abraham Lincoln (a ship), searching for a gigantic sea monster that could light up the sea waters, swim double the speed of any ship, and had indestructible scales, so when harpooned, the device would bounce off. All three were thrown overboard when the thing crashed into the side of the ship, and they found the sea monster floating in the water deadly still. They climbed on top of this huge thing, and realized it was a machine rather than beast -- a submarine. Crew members took the three men captive, and a few days later, Captain Nemo addresses them himself, saying he held them prison, because they attacked him. He says that since they've found him, they have to keep it a secret, so they've become permanent guests aboard the Nautilus. They travel together for 20,000 leagues underwater, discovering the polar ice cap, underwater volcanos, and the secret continent of Atlantis. Captain Nemo is a very mysterious figure, and at the end, the last that's seen of Nemo is during a maelstrom... the three men escape, but Nemo is left behind in his submarine. Nobody knows if he survived or not, until The Mysterious Island, another Jules Verne novel, came out.
          So the backstory is that you're travel on the Neptune, a mini submarine, rather than the Nautilus, out to find everything that Captain Nemo found during his underwater voyage.

I'm not so sure about the other rides, but I've read the Jules Verne books, so I guess that's the backstory.
          While these may be the actual summary of the novels, the attractions at Tokyo DisneySea feature quite a different backstory than the ones you just described in detail.

Everything in Mysterious Island revolves around Captain Nemo. Mysterious Island is a volcanic island located in the South Pacific, discovered by Captain Nemo and turned into his secret base; reason why the Nautilus is docked there. Captain Nemo also mentions that Mount Prometheus is the biggest and only source of energy for his base, as everything is powered by steam here.

Here is the official backstory for both Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

Inside the Caldera, a crater formed at the base of the volcano, a large body of water provides secret access to the ocean beyond. Suspended above the water is a small submersible vessel, the Neptune, This is Captain Nemo's personal submarine boat, capable of taking him to underwater locales not accessible by his larger submarine, the Nautilus.
          In an unprecedented decision, Captain Nemo has invited the world's scientific community to come to Mysterious Island and share in his discoveries of the countless marvels and mysteries of the ocean's depths. He has announced that his special guests will be permitted to board one of his fleet of submersibles, similar to the Neptune, and join his crew as observers to assist in his research and to share the ocean's majesty.
          To board their vessel, guests descend a spiral ramp and enter a volcanic rock cavern that leads first to Captain Nemo's Private Study and Control Station. Discovering that Captain Nemo is working in another part of the facility, they are able to walk through these private quarters and observe Nemo's various notes, maps and research materials related to his studies of the sea and his efforts to develop the ocean floor for fanning. It is here too that they are introduced to the Aquaphone. Nemo's amazing wireless communications invention, which allows him to monitor activities throughout Mysterious Island and to broadcast information to his fleet of research vessels under the sea.
          Moving along, they enter the Dive Hatch Area where they observe that Nemo and his crew are able to don diving suits and enter the ocean directly through a special pressure hatch. It is clear from the missing dive suits in the storage area, and from the seawater and kelp around the hatch, that divers must have recently used the hatch and that their dive is still in progress.
          Soon the guests enter the Submarine Docking Port, a rock cavern that has been reinforced by large metal riveted plates. The submersibles are suspended from an overhead conveyor system for loading. They arc attached by large metal hooks that release the vessels into the water. Guests board the six-person submersibles and the conveyor moves them to the ocean's edge to be dropped into the water and begin their dive.
          Upon release, Captain Nemo can be heard over the Aquaphone in the vessel. He broadcasts along the way and provides information to the intrepid voyagers about the sites they see. In their first view after diving to the ocean floor, they observe the beauty of the ocean reef around the perimeter of Mysterious Island. Then they enter one of the many undersea fields where Nemo is harvesting the limitless bounty of the ocean and continuing to develop and refine his Aquafarming operations.
          Nemo reminds his guests that the ocean is a vast and wondrous place, but that it is not a domain that can be controlled by man-that man is merely a visitor in the sea. As evidence, guests next encounter a graveyard of lost ships. As they float through the Ship Graveyard, in and out of the wrecks of sunken ships from every era, they observe that all the power and riches the people who piloted these vessels might have possessed or sought, were only destined to become so much junk at the bottom of the sea-a playground for the denizens of the deep.
          But there is little time to reflect on the irony of man's quest for fame and fortune. An unexpected encounter with a sea creature of mammoth proportions leads guests on a life-or-death ' adventure beyond imagination. Sinking to a depth far deeper than ever thought possible, the guests; soon discover secrets of the deep that even Nemo himself never dared imagine possible.

Comment

Restaurant Sakura was once a fish market that was purchased by a Japanese immigrant family and turned into a restaurant.

Comment

Sailing Day Buffet was transformed from a main cargo terminal into a buffet-style restaurant by the U.S. Steamship Co. in honor of the S.S. Columbia's maiden voyage.

Ristorante di Canaletto is, as the name implies, a restaurant built and owned by the Venice born artist; Giovanni Antonio Canaletto. You can see his many paintings inside the restaurant.

Comment

Interesting stuff so far. I remember a DVD being released last year with many of the backstorys for TDS and TDL. Sadly its wasted on me as I don't know any Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                  Interesting stuff so far. I remember a DVD being released last year with many of the backstorys for TDS and TDL. Sadly its wasted on me as I don't know any Japanese.
                  If you look hard enough in the park, you can actually find many hidden secrets or clues and piece together the backstory yourself. There are details scattered everywhere. You just have to look in the right places.

Comment

True the visual's do give plenty of clues. But it would still be cool to know what the narration was.

Comment

I really wish there were some special headphones you could purchase that had spots on all the ride vehicles where they could be plugged in to give you english translations for rides such as 20k.

Comment

Even though the 20K ride was in Japanese, I think I figured out the story...

You're in Capt. Nemo's sub, exploring the ocean. You're underwater, looking at old ruins. Then a giant squid attacks. The sub zaps the squid, but the sub's power system overloads and you float into the deep ocean. As you run out of power, the alien-looking underwater habitants use their crystals to repower you and you go up to the surface.

I hope I'm right. If not, I think I made up a nice storyline.
                        Check out these links:

www.ioacentral.com
                        www.youtube.com/barryh1972
                        www.myspace.com/barryhom
                        www.themeparkreview.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          Even though the 20K ride was in Japanese, I think I figured out the story...

You're in Capt. Nemo's sub, exploring the ocean. You're underwater, looking at old ruins. Then a giant squid attacks. The sub zaps the squid, but the sub's power system overloads and you float into the deep ocean. As you run out of power, the alien-looking underwater habitants use their crystals to repower you and you go up to the surface.

I hope I'm right. If not, I think I made up a nice storyline.
                          That is correct, but the Atlantians actually use some kind of spell to get you instantly from the depths to the surface. You should check out Scott Sherman's (the main Imagineer behind the attraction, I believe) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea page; it has the full English script for the attraction and is a very interesting read. Then again, I understood the storyline perfectly even before looking at the script.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X