Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDLFAN reviews TDL "Disney's Halloween 07" /photos too!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDLFAN reviews TDL "Disney's Halloween 07" /photos too!

As part of our vacation in late september, G-Fan and I made a point of stopping at TDR for a few days and hit TDL for a couple of days to enjoy this year's edition of "Disney's Halloween 2007".
    As always... TDL did not disappoint. This year, more than ever, both G-Fan and I felt the Halloween event was truly inspired and in our honest opinion, one of the best Halloween events at TDL ever.

The theme for TDL's halloween this year is the Haunted Mansion. While the Mansion has been used for inspiration for the halloween decor and merchandise from "Disney's Halloween" in 2000, this year the event took the Mansion's themes and gave it a truly fun-filled Disney twist. While the Paris and Hong Kong parks choose to go a more spooky way... DL, MK and TDL appear to be more family friendly.. but TDL, in a move that should not shock anyone, takes the Disney theme to the highest level of fun, making Halloween a truly fun fun fun (and criminally happy) event for guests of all ages. Frenetic at times, but truly wonderful in feel, this year's Halloween event is no exception.

As always.. TDL unveils new, lovely (and expensive looking) decor for the park and especially for the Hub gardens, where Halloween Central appears to be. Hundreds upon hundreds of guests decend into the Hub to have their picture taken at the official photo spot. If you go, and want a truly unique photo memento from the event, then do the line (45 mins to 75 mins wait on average) and have your photo taken here. Trust me, you will not see these halloween decorations ever again! Capture it on film while you can, because next year's Halloween will not offer the same theme, and with TDL's 25th anniversary coming up, Disney's Halloween 2008 should be an epic event. We'll see what develops...

What never ceases to amaze me is how clever and well thought out TDL's Halloween events really are. From the decor, to the character's costumes, to the references they try to insert here and there... to the overall show and production, the hidden Mickeys, the storytelling... THIS is a disney-style Halloween at it's biggest, massive degree.

Take this year's parade for example..."Happy Haunted parade". How do you take the classic Haunted Mansion ride and bring it out into the street, while transforming it into a Disney character romp? From the moment the parade begins... you know you are up for a great treat. It is simply amazing how much of the Haunted Mansion they were able to incorporate into all of these brand-new floats, costuming and how perfectly matched the classic Disney characters are to the Mansion Characters they are trying to portray. Example.. Goofy as the cemetery keeper and Pluto as his mangy dog... BRILLIANT! In fact, Pluto's costume this year is my favorite of the entire bunch... as he appears totally nude (?), with just his collar, a spider web over his nose and nasty creepy crawlers all over his body. It's so simple, yet so yucky.. the visual effect is horribly creepy!
    Eeeeek!

Mickey and Minnie wearing Halloween versions of the usual Haunted Mansion costume was also an inspired touch. Lastly... the perfect "part" casting here... trampy Clarice as the Mansion Bride, with two ghosts proposing to her, one of them waving a huge diamond ring at her! These are truly inspired moments during the parade, and if you blink, you miss them and that would be a terrible tragedy! Talk about "repeat viewings!!".

The parade's fun factor is indeed so contageous that G-Fan and I even got into the act... when audience participation is encouraged during the show mode. The hand/clap dance appears easy at first but in fact, it's quite challenging. Anyone who would dismiss this as "silly" and "stupid" should give it a try at first, and find out how silly it really is. I dare any naysayer to try this dance during the show mode and succeed. The parade BTW... performs 3 (that's THREE!!) times daily. My rating for the parade: A+

As an added testament of how much OLC spends on these temporary events.. some of the daytime floats, also perform in the very loud, very rock and roll, evening halloween hub show "Rock and Roll Halloween Night" (or something like that). This night time show performs twice nightly around the Hub, and includes an audience participation dance in which close to about a thousand park goers (that's 1,000 guests I would guess), winners of the audience participation lottery, take to the street and participate in dance and song, as they march around the Hub with other show cast members, characters, floats and other props. It is a massive compliment to the crowd control CMs as they have to maintain a certain level of order and sanity with so many people congregating here for the show, and as an audience. The Crowd control CMs do an awesome job! KUDOS!

As I mentioned before, some daytime floats also perform here in the nightime with the added difference that these floats have built-in lighting systems and other technology, to make them very vivid and colorful at night. Think DL's current Parade floats, at night. Same luminotechics. This rock show also turns our fav Disney characters into rock performers... like Mickey playing electric guitar or Minnie on drums.. and guess what! Seemed to me there were playing their instruments LIVE, along with the prerecorded tracks. The music here is truly loud rock and roll versions of TDL's former Halloween parade songs and soundtracks. For those who have enjoyed these halloween events in the past 8 yrs or so.. you would recognize the music, since it is so unique to TDL's halloween spectacles. Truly a sentimental trip down Halloween memory lane at TDL. During the show, which lasts approximately 25 mins.. extensive use of pyrotechnics, lighting and real fireballs is utilized on or around the castle area, adding another dimension to the show..as if it was a real rock concert.

Last but not least.. the merchandise for Halloween was plentiful. There was the Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare line, plus the TDL Disney's Halloween line, and yet another "Tokyo Disney Resort Halloween" line. It added for a lot of goodies and souvenirs for this special ocasion. From food items, to this year's Mickey and Minnie costume items, to pins, to toys, to cushions, to other assessories for ladies, men, phonestraps, plushes... etc etc etc, the merchandise was plentiful and varied. Likewise for food items.. and special Halloween menus at all restaurants. They even had pumpkin soup, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin mousse in souvenir cups, pumpkin cake... you name it. While any of this is not surprising to me, it is still staggering to think how much is done for Halloween at TDL, reason why I rate it 2nd to none in the Disney parks universe.

Well.. without further ado.. here are the 180-some photos that made the cut from the original 550-some pics I took. If patient, you will be able to enjoy the sights, decor, and other things of Halloween interest at TDL. You'll get an eyeful of the daytime parade; a quick look at the evening show which is very difficult to photogragh with my cheap camera; your first look at new shop venues in World Bazaar; the current state of construction at the TDL Hotel; some pics from Dreamlights' new floats and even a little pyro. So take your time and enjoy...

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=32600847&f=0

Coming next week... as a late halloween treat, TDLFAN will try to squeeze a review and photos from this year's DLParis Halloween event. Keep those fingers crossed and check the DLP section on Oct 30th or 31st.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! BOO!!!:lol:

Re: TDLFAN reviews TDL "Disney's Halloween 07" /photos too!

Wow what a fun trip down memory lane for me here. Well done TDLFAN for capturing all the fun this event is, in your latest set of pictures.

But not to nitpick but to prove I do read the captions I notice you made a reference to a banner of Minnie handing out a treat to a Happy Ghost, when in fact its Mickey. This isn't to much of a big deal but just wanted to point it out.
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...847&p=75932544

Also how cool is the image of the crow on top of the Mansion.It gives such a cool effect, shame its real enough to fly off through.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Thanks for the great trip report and pictures!! :thumbup:

Comment

To point out a few things in your photo, The Three Pigs are suppose to be the Ghost Band. The first batch of "bats" you saw are really black widows. Don't know why Stitch is there since Pleakly has the honor of being the Leota Head.

Thanks for the beautiful photos, as uaual! I didn't know they also ran Dreamlights during the event. I thought that was put on hold because of Haunted Rockin' Street.
        WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Dreamlights (and the regular fireworks as well) perform in between the 1st and 2nd Rock and Roll show. Needless to say... the Halloween days have a packed schedule of entertainment.

Comment

To credit OLC, there offer a fairly packed schedule all year round, even during the off season. It puts the California and Paris Resorts to shame.

Comment

Orlando's MK too when compared to what TDL alone offers year round.

Comment

True but I will credit the Magic Kingdom in atleast offering Wishes on a nightly basis and offering Spectromagic on some weeknights in the off season. While it lacks when compare to TDR, its still better than what some of the other Disney Resorts offer year round.

Comment

I wish Tokyo Disneyland had an amazing fireworks display like Wishes at Magic Kingdom, or Remember...Dreams Come True at Disneyalnd. It would make the nighttime visits much more magical and spectacular in my opinion. Oh well, at least there's Dreamlights.
                  Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                    True but I will credit the Magic Kingdom in atleast offering Wishes on a nightly basis and offering Spectromagic on some weeknights in the off season. While it lacks when compare to TDR, its still better than what some of the other Disney Resorts offer year round.
                    Well, I agree, but remember... even HKDL presents their fireworks show every night and parades daily... sometime two different parades daily, plus two different stage shows daily. How many stage shows at the Mk now a days? One. The point is... they claim the MK is the most visited park n Earth but the offerings do no match the claim, or the ridiculously high price of admission.

Comment

Great pics! I'd love to see the TDL version HMH!!! Thanks for sharing!
                      Jon A. Leslie
                      nojarama
                      http://www.nojarama.com

Comment

Originally posted by nojarama View Post
                        Great pics! I'd love to see the TDL version HMH!!! Thanks for sharing!
                        Thanks! I have not seen the DL version in CA, but I understand they are pretty similar. It would however, be nice to hear the show in english..

Comment

Thanks for all the photos!!!!!
                          Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                          I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                          on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                            Well, I agree, but remember... even HKDL presents their fireworks show every night and parades daily... sometime two different parades daily, plus two different stage shows daily. How many stage shows at the Mk now a days? One. The point is... they claim the MK is the most visited park n Earth but the offerings do no match the claim, or the ridiculously high price of admission.
                            Which is a big factor in my next trip being to Hong Kong Disneyland. I have been very impressed by the fact the park offers daily parades, boardway style stage shows and of course the fireworks. But it will be interesting to see if once this park expands and gains more attractions if the entertainment offerings will be quite so much.

And your right when it comes to overall entertainment the Magic Kingdom does lack as it has done for a number of years. But I still think it does a better job at offering year round entertainment than Paris or California.

Comment

I somewhat disagree. There are times when DLP offers the fabulous Lion King Show and the Tarzan Encounter daily in addition to the regular parade. That is more than the MK on most days when it comes to stage shows. At DL...I have no idea how bad the situation has become because I don't go there as often, but at least they have a better daytime parade and the best fireworks show.

Comment

Currently Disneyland Paris is only showing the Lion King show. Tarzan has finished for the season and won't be back until next year. Both the Pooh show and Fantaillusion parade are also gone until the peak Christmas season begins. Wishes only runs for a 2 month period during summer so that only leaves you with the parade and Lion King stage show that can be viewed at all times of the year. So while your right in saying the Magic Kingdom as the most visited park atleast in the States it should be offering more than just weak productions like Dream Along with Mickey, I still feel its not the worst of the Disney parks, when it comes to offering guest year round entertainment. Disneyland Resort from my understanding is the worst offender, as it doesn't even offer Block Party Bash at DCA anymore during the weekdays. And the fantastic Aladdin show is often on hiatus during certain times in the week. Very poor in my opinion.

Comment

Malin, it's the "slow season" of US parks. They tend to cut live entertainment back like that to save operation costs.

And that's about as far as I'll go playing Devil's advocate on that subject knowing how well TDR handles their "slow season."

Comment

Originally posted by ZeekSlider View Post
                                    Malin, it's the "slow season" of US parks. They tend to cut live entertainment back like that to save operation costs.
                                    I think I've already made that point thats why I have some what high praise for TDR, HKDL and WDW who don't cut back quite so much on the entertainment during the off season like DLR and DLRP tend to do.

Comment

It's not that difficult to cut costs of entertainment in WDW when they are repeats from last year's offerings with little to no change at all.

Comment

Presentations like Illuminations, Fantasmic and Wishes are not exactly cheap to put on each night, no matter how long the shows been going for!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X