X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Late Night Airport Transfer

Originally posted by pli1018 View Post
    I would love to just deal with the N'EX or the Airport limousine, but unfortunately my plane gets in at 8:30PM, well after the last of those trains/buses depart the airport.
    According to the JR East official timetable, the last N'EX leaves Narita around 9:45 PM. As long as things are operating normally at Narita when you arrive, you have an excellent chance to make this last train to Tokyo Station.

JR-EAST: Shinkansen Reservation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SUICA is valid on the JR East lines, the Keisei lines, Tokyo Metro & the Disneyland Monorail.
    You are correct about the validity of SUICA use on the above mentioned lines. However, I would not use my SUICA on the Disney Resort Line (monorail). You can save money by just buying a multi-day pass at the Resort Line station. It will give you unlimited use on the Resort Line insted of paying 250 yen per ride using your SUICA.

I plan on monitoring the funds on the SUICA card daily and the aim is to have 800Y on there at all times. Apparently, my home base of the Maihama station has a SUICA ticket machine, so I will have the option to refill every day.
    Everytime you swipe your SUICA at a turnstyle you will be able to see your balance. As I mentioned before, the minimum amout you can add to your card is 1000 yen. Just keep this in mind as you are coming to the end of your trip. If you want to keep your SUICA as a souvenir, you probably want to get the balance as close to 0 yen as possible. If you do keep it remember there is the 500 yen deposit you can only get back when you surrender your card. Also know that the 500 yen deposit does not show up as part of your balance when you swipe or charge the card.

Maihama Eki(station) does have a SUICA charge card as do most JR stations. You just have to look to make sure the machine you are at has the SUICA symbol on it.

Here is a short video showing how to charge your SUICA.
    How to recharge your Suica card when you travel in Japan - YouTube

I am considering the Airport Limousine for the return. It will depend on how crazy our final day is, but it is a much much simpler option. Obviously I'd buy it in advance from the hotel lobby. Our flight leaves at 8:30PM so I figured the last possible one to take would be the bus at 4:54PM.
    You should be able to find a Airport Limousine bus for the return trip. The 16:54 bus looks like the one for you. If you think you can, you might want to leave a little earlier to give yourself some time to enjoy the shops and restaurants at Narita. Kind of a last farewell taste of Japan before heading home.
    Airport Limousine Bus-Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd

How does this new plan based on your advice sound? Any issues you see or things I could make simpler?
    I think you have done a good job considering most all of the available options based on your itinerary.

I wouldn't give up on the idea of making the last N'EX upon your arrival. After you clear customs go as quickly as possible to the JR office that sells the SUICA&N'EX pass. I don't know which terminal you are coming in to, but here is a link showing where the JR East Travel Service Centers are located in either Terminal 1 or 2.
    JR EAST Travel Service Center (Narita) | Customer Support | JR-EAST

If you have any other questions just post them here. If I have an answer or a recommendation I will share it with you.

Have a great trip.
    Last edited by Roger55; 02-03-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
      You are correct about the validity of SUICA use on the above mentioned lines. However, I would not use my SUICA on the Disney Resort Line (monorail). You can save money by just buying a multi-day pass at the Resort Line station. It will give you unlimited use on the Resort Line instead of paying 250 yen per ride using your SUICA.
      Yeah, I was planning on buying separate monorail passes anyway. Makes more sense based on the prices.

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
      I wouldn't give up on the idea of making the last N'EX upon your arrival. After you clear customs go as quickly as possible to the JR office that sells the SUICA&N'EX pass. I don't know which terminal you are coming in to, but here is a link showing where the JR East Travel Service Centers are located in either Terminal 1 or 2.
      JR EAST Travel Service Center (Narita) | Customer Support | JR-EAST
      It's definitely back on my radar. I was really nervous about customs/immigration times, so I wanted to make sure I had another option. Considering this is what I wanted to do this in the first place, if you think it's feasible, then I'll go this route.

Would you happen to know the difference between a JR Travel Service Center and a JR Ticket Office? The former will be closed by the time my flight arrives, but I can purchase a SUICA/N'EX pass (with a VISA too! Hooray!) at a ticket office as well.

Comment

Would you happen to know the difference between a JR Travel Service Center and a JR Ticket Office? The former will be closed by the time my flight arrives, but I can purchase a SUICA/N'EX pass (with a VISA too! Hooray!) at a ticket office as well.
        I also noticed that the Travel Service Center closes early.

The Travel Service Centers cater to foriegn travelers who need to buy special passes (e.g. SUICA & N'EX) or activate a special rail pass (e.g. JR Japan Rail Pass, JR Kanto Pass, etc.). The JR Travel Service Centers are staffed by people who speak foriegn languages.

The JR Ticket Offices handle all other JR ticketing for local travel. This is where you can buy special tickets for special trains such as N'EX, commuter express, etc. I believe that is also where you would go to buy just a SUICA. All services at the JR Ticket Office are those that people living in Japan can utilize. You might not find someone working there that speaks great English, but I'm sure there will be someone there that speaks enough English to be able to sell you a SUICA & N'EX. They just might not be able to say all the usual pleasantries and give you detailed instructions in English.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X