• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjcjr
    back to WDW in January
    • Aug 2006

News Turban Causes Flap At Disney; Lawsuit Pending

The Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF), the oldest and largest Sikh-American civil rights and advocacy organization in the US has filed a class action suit against the Walt Disney World Company on behalf of Sukhbir Singh Channa.
    Channa, a Sikh-American, had applied for a job with Disney in September 2006 but was told that he could not be hired unless he removed his religiously-mandated turban. He was also told that he did not have "the Disney look". Witnesses have filed affidavits in his support. "There's no legal or other justification for a company to repudiate an employee in the manner that Disney has repudiated Channa," said SALDEF chairman Manjit Singh.
    "Disney makes millions of dollars each year on cartoon characters that wear turbans but cannot respect the right of an American to wear a turban for religious reasons," said Manjit Singh.
    An official press conference announcing the lawsuit against Disney is scheduled on June 16, Florida Miami.
    Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I...ow/3124858.cms
  • MJMcB
    We'll hold them at bay
    • Apr 2006

Re: Turban Causes Flap At Disney; Lawsuit Pending

Dumb, Disney, dumb
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

• kcnole
      • Mar 2006

how is it dumb? Disney has all kinds of requirements on how you dress. Men are not allowed to have beards, you can't have long hair, etc... How strange would it seem to see a man in a turban as a castmember in frontierland.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
        Beach Expert
        • Sep 2006

I saw a guest wearing a turban at DCA on Monday when I went on the TSMM preview.

But that's not a CM. What I have seen at Knott's are a couple of female employees -- obviously Muslim because they were wearing scarves on their heads in addition to their costume. And the other employees were not wearing scarves.

I wonder if maybe these employees are at Knotts because Disney didn't hire them because obviously they wanted to wear the scarves?

Comment

• halltd
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2008

No kidding - this isn't dumb. Disney isn't discriminating here. They require EVERY cast member to look the same. So, they're not singling out this one person. It's the same thing that Abercrombie does during their hiring process.
          -Tim

Comment

• PEZZ Lightyear
            PEZZ in the Fez
            • Aug 2006

I imagine the Sikh beard would be more of an issue...
            How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
            :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

• VMKCardCollector
              • Apr 2008

Since when did disney characters wear turbans? Ive never seen this before.....

But's there's always been stuff like that. Like you have to have a certain type of nails (french something), cant have beards, cant have hair past your shoulders, etc.

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                MiceChatter
                • Feb 2005

I dunno ... I know Walt wanted all of his CM's to look the same, but to be honest, alot of the requirements have been relaxed in the past few years. (Sunglasses, earrings, etc).

As far as "Somebody with a Turban wouldn't look right in Frontierland" well, there are PLENTY of other places you could put this person that just might fit the theme. Animal Kingdom perhaps?

Again, I know Walt had his standards, but times have most certainly changed. I agree with Disney's "Standards" for CM's, but not when it comes to something like this. Exceptions should be made for religious beliefs.

Comment

• sediment
                  Banned User
                  • Jan 2005

He would have been perfect for the Indy Stunt Show.

I sure hope they thought this through before simply dismissing the idea. Nowhere in DAK, for example?
                  EPCOT's new Iraq Pavilion?

Comment

• TikiRoomLiz
                    MiceChatter
                    • Oct 2006

I feel that even though this man's attire is for religious reasons, it is fully (and clearly), detailed in the application to Disney that there is a certain look they will have to adhere to if they get hired. Starting a lawsuit for an issue like this seems rather silly to me.

Comment

• Morrigoon
                      insufferable know-it-all
                      • Jan 2005

Disney probably could have gotten past the turban thing in a backstage role, but the hair thing is a real problem. His religion requires him to keep it, and Disney's rules do not allow it.

At some point, you make a choice. Sometimes the choices you make do not allow you to do things you want, like working for Disney. They're not telling him he can't work there because of his skin color or even technically because of his religion, but because his religious practices do not allow him to comply with The Disney Look. It'd be like having someone insist on wearing a burqua while working in a strip club - some jobs just aren't going to work with your religious directives.

And if they loosen the rules for him, then they're giving preferential treatment unless they loosen them for everyone.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• flynnibus
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jun 2006

If you make personal choices in your life that conflict with your professional life - where did this conflict begin?? Oh yeah.. PERSONAL CHOICES

You can look and dress anyway you want when its just you - just don't expect random person XYZ to like or accept it.

Disney's standards have long been challenged - I doubt this attempt will get any further.

When you goto a job - you are going to do someone else's work - you gotta play by their rules. Want to make your own rules? Work for yourself!
                        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• kirbilicious
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2007

This is interesting. It's something I never really thought about before. I'm just surprised there haven't been more complaints like this regarding turbans.

Comment

• Morrigoon
                            insufferable know-it-all
                            • Jan 2005

Because most people see the rules, understand that their personal beliefs do not allow them to abide by them, and find something else.

Again, the turban (or in case of Muslim women, perhaps a headscarf) thing probably wouldn't be too much of an issue if they were willing to take a backstage role where a company-issued "standard" wouldn't interrupt the show onstage. But I'm not sure Disney can get past the specific grooming rules (hair - facial and otherwise) that he has to comply with.
                            Last edited by Morrigoon; 06-13-2008, 09:01 AM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

• tjcjr
                              back to WDW in January
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Destination View Post
                              Since when did disney characters wear turbans? Ive never seen this before.....

But's there's always been stuff like that. Like you have to have a certain type of nails (french something), cant have beards, cant have hair past your shoulders, etc.
                              responding to the above, some characters in Aladdin wore turbans

... and as far as the issue goes, it's called a dress code. It's basically a company rule and companies impose them all the time. Some employers require specific uniforms or styles.
                              If you cannot abide by the rules for whatever the reason, be it personal or otherwise, you simply can't work there. And Disney spells all this out quite specifically during the pre-hiring, screening process.

One job I held for a few years required that we always wore a 'boat skippers' hat as part of the uniform. That's just what it was. And there is no way you could have gotten that hat to fit over or on a turban so that job would not have been appropriate for the person in question either.
                              Last edited by tjcjr; 06-13-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• geoffa
                                Geoff London
                                • Jan 2007

Translate this to the incident at British Airways where a member of staff was told she could not wear a crucifix on a chain. They eventually lost their case!

I can totally understand a turban wearer not looking the part in Frontierland but surely Disney could have found him some job elsewhere - anything to do with Aladdin maybe? (of course that then could be seen a stereotyping!)
                                Last edited by geoffa; 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM.
                                Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

• Hakuna Makarla
                                  Banned User
                                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                                  Disney probably could have gotten past the turban thing in a backstage role, but the hair thing is a real problem. His religion requires him to keep it, and Disney's rules do not allow it.

At some point, you make a choice. Sometimes the choices you make do not allow you to do things you want, like working for Disney. They're not telling him he can't work there because of his skin color or even technically because of his religion, but because his religious practices do not allow him to comply with The Disney Look. It'd be like having someone insist on wearing a burqua while working in a strip club - some jobs just aren't going to work with your religious directives.

And if they loosen the rules for him, then they're giving preferential treatment unless they loosen them for everyone.
                                  :bow: well said......... !!

Comment

• geoffa
                                    Geoff London
                                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by tjcjr View Post
                                    responding to the above, some characters in Aladdin wore turbans

... and as far as the issue goes, it's called a dress code. It's basically a company rule and companies impose them all the time. Some employers require specific uniforms or styles.........
                                    the pre-hiring, screening process.
                                    That might be the case in the U S. However, in other countries different rules apply. Here in Europe the Race Relations Act has a great say in what people wear for work. Discrimination is NOT permitted. Uniforms have to be adapted to take on board others' religions. For example, London Underground provides scarves for Muslim females and allows turbans for sheiks etc. Disney would need to apply for exemption on artistic grounds under the act and one assumes this is the case at Disneyland Resort Paris - unless someone knows different.
                                    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

• flynnibus
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by geoffa View Post
                                      Translate this to the incident at British Airways where a member of staff was told she could not wear a crucifix on a chain. They eventually lost their case!
                                      That's easy - do you have a rule about wearing jewelry and limits on how it's worn? You can take religion right out of that comparison and apply rules universally.

Originally posted by geoffa View Post
                                      I can totally understand a turban wearer not looking the part in Frontierland but surely Disney could have found him some job elsewhere - anything to do with Aladdin maybe? (of course that then could be seen a stereotyping!)
                                      Disney doesn't owe anyone a job.

They had openings - if he doesn't fit for those roles its not their job to find him an alternative. He should be applying for roles he believes he fits. It's not the employer's job to find 'something'. The roles are completely the other way.
                                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Mnemorath
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Dec 2006

As we say in the Navy: Its called a UNIFORM for a reason.

I don't think it will get very far. A dress code is a dress code and if it is written in black and white on papers he signed...well thats that.
                                        SEMPER ABSURDA

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X