Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WDW Explorer CD-ROM

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Other] WDW Explorer CD-ROM

    I was digging through some old computer stuff today and ran across it. It's the Second Edition one from 1998 as it does include Animal Kingdom. Tried it on the current PC and it installed so I played around with it again. OMG... memories! Just the EPCOT section had me excited. It had the original Journey Into Imagination, the old Image Works, Food Rocks, Horizons, Wonders of Life/Body Wars... and an old 360 panorama of the area behind Spaceship Earth before those stupid "sails" were added (it was sooooo spacious back then). Test Track wasn't even open yet but was on the CD as "opening in 1998" and had some concept art and a computer simulated preview of the high-speed part outside, which was actually pretty neat.

    One interesting thing I noticed is on the CD-ROM, it called the then MGM, "Disney Studios Florida". Guess even back then they knew the name was going to change eventually.

    The cool thing about this CD-ROM is it features the entire property at the time, even the hotels, Pleasure Island and all.

  • #2
    Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

    Originally posted by aimster View Post
    One interesting thing I noticed is on the CD-ROM, it called the then MGM, "Disney Studios Florida". Guess even back then they knew the name was going to change eventually.
    Not exactly. As part of Disney's contracts with MGM, they could not use the MGM name for many types of advertising, including the Walt Disney World Explorer CD-ROMs or even the Vacation Planner videos.

    But you are right that this program is completely awesome. The photos and videos are incredible, and the soundtracks for various sections are great!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

    DoppelV

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

      I'd love to get my hands on something like that. Any chance you could make a .iso of it and load it up somewhere for us to download?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

        I only have the 1996 edition and OMG I would play that non stop when I was younger. Always made me sad when the narrator said "although currently not in operation, for many years 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea explored..." I hate how long Disney lied about it being closed forever. It's a great time capsule.
        I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

          Originally posted by DoppelV View Post
          Not exactly. As part of Disney's contracts with MGM, they could not use the MGM name for many types of advertising, including the Walt Disney World Explorer CD-ROMs or even the Vacation Planner videos.

          But you are right that this program is completely awesome. The photos and videos are incredible, and the soundtracks for various sections are great!
          Interesting. I didn't know that.

          And I agree about the music... especially in the Future World section of EPCOT. For the life of me though, I can't remember what the very first piece of music is from (very dramatic, lots of fast violins).

          Originally posted by kcnole View Post
          I'd love to get my hands on something like that. Any chance you could make a .iso of it and load it up somewhere for us to download?
          I can try, but I'm not sure how to do that.

          Comment


          • #6
            It is still available for purchase but mostly through resellers:

            http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Wo.../dp/B000IEC46G

            http://www.relivethemagic.com/pd_wal...d_explorer.cfm

            http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/RARE-WALT-DIS...QQcmdZViewItem

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

              Originally posted by aimster View Post
              especially in the Future World section of EPCOT. For the life of me though, I can't remember what the very first piece of music is from (very dramatic, lots of fast violins).
              It's the original entrance medley to EPCOT
              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









              Comment


              • #8
                Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                Interesting. I knew the second piece of music was from that (I still hear it when I visit EPCOT) and the 3rd piece is "One Little Spark" (which makes me all kinds of silly happy when I hear it).

                When I get home from work tonight, I'll see about posting some screen caps of shots of the old Image Works. I miss it so much!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                  I have the oringal. I loved this copy, so much.
                  Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                    I have the first edition. I remember when it was $49.99 at CompUSA in 1996!

                    I also have the Walt Disney History CD-ROM presented by the Disney Family (As opposed to the company.) That's a gem though it seems more dated with the weird compression they used for the video.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                      Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
                      I have the oringal. I loved this copy, so much.
                      Me too - it's a great way of visiting the parks when you're not there. I wouldn't give it up for anything!
                      Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                        You can use a program like Nero or Infrarecorder to make cd images which are stored in a .iso program. You can then use those same programs to convert them back to a cd.

                        Here's a link to infrarecorder which is free. If you could rip it to a .iso and post it I'd be eternally grateful.

                        <Link removed by mods>
                        Last edited by Villains Fan; 07-12-2008, 09:22 AM. Reason: Link for downloading copywritten material removed

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                          Please remember, MiceChat does not condone the downloading/copying of copyrighted materials.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                            Ha, I have the same old CD!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: WDW Explorer CD-ROM

                              I have that CD-Rom too. My kids found it a few weeks ago. They love it.
                              sigpic


                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X