• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GhostHost2
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2007

[Chat] Great Movie Ride wishlist

With a rumor that the GMR might be updated for WDW's 40th anniversary, what changes would you like to see happen with the GMR?

The Alien scene is a major spot of lameness. When the main thrill of a scene is supposed to be mist coming down from a hole in a ceiling, it's not scary, it's lame. Either make this scene scary or get rid of it.

I'm a huge Indiana Jones fan, and I would like to see the Well of Souls scene greatly improved. This scene has a ton of potential and parts of the set are really good, but it could be really thrilling with statues falling and snakes galore.

The Wizard of Oz scene should pretty much stay as is, it's by far the best part of the ride.

As a horror fan, I would really like a great horror themed section of the GMR. Unfortenatly, this is unlikely. Perhaps there could be branching paths were some vehicles go through the horror section and others don't. Or else, maybe the horror section can only become really scary at night.
  • aimster
    Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Re: Great Movie Ride wishlist

I hate horror movies, so I would not be in favor of a horror section.

That being said, I'd love to see a Star Wars scene thrown in (original trilogy, please).

Comment

• TDLFAN
      Banned User
      • Feb 2005

I think the entire ride need to be gutted and something totally new and exciting should replace it, especially since the MGM name is no longer a part of the park.

Comment

• GhostHost2
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        I think the entire ride need to be gutted and something totally new and exciting should replace it, especially since the MGM name is no longer a part of the park.
        It's about the only opening day attraction left as DHS. The Backlot Tour has been heavily downsized and rumors say it will be removed. What other opening day DHS attractions remain other than the GMR and The Backlot Tour? It will be hard for DHS to have much of a legacy if all it's original attractions are removed. Wasn't the Indy stunt show, also an opening day attraction?

I would like to add the removal of the Hat to my wishlist. The Hat is a thematic nightmare.

Comment

• Coastierox
          Mostly Harmless.
          • Apr 2005

They should just re-name it the OK Movie Ride and leave it as is.
          He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
          follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
          DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

• Coheteboy
            Starcruiser.. crash crash
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aimster View Post
            That being said, I'd love to see a Star Wars scene thrown in (original trilogy, please).

Totally. I'd love to see a Darth Vader animatronic asking us to join him.

As for TDLFAN'S comment of gutting the whole thing... I disagree but I think the ride needs a major overhaul. Get rid of the giant theater vehicles and the tourguides. Make it an Ominimover through the history of film starting with silent pictures throughout the queue. Board the vehicles enters the sound era, so on so forth. There should also be a section like the superspeed tunnel in Disneyland's old People Mover where we enter the game grid of Tron to represent the beginning of computer graphics in film.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• Sir.Mouse
              MiceChatter
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
              well most of the scenes in the ride are from Warner Bros. movies so...
              I just discovered the Alien series and absolutely love it! I think it would be cool to have an updated Alien scene. Also, does it just have to be about Hollywood movies? can there be some French films tossed in?

Comment

• Angie_Duke
                Fortuosity!
                • Mar 2008

I just want the sets and AAs upgraded to be made more impressive. I have no problems with the films chosen, except the Footlight Parade scene which has got to go. I'd rather see Swing Time or Top Hat be represented there. Matey even the Jazz Singer and have like Coheteboy said silent pictures represented in the queue.
                I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

• geoffa
                  Geoff London
                  • Jan 2007

Leave Oz - that's a classic but the rest - get rid and start again. I mean what is the Alien and Gangster stuff all about. The Tarzan scene is just so pathetic - it's like Rainforest cafe with a screaming nutcase. And what a weak way to portray Fantasia - I'd expect an AA Mickey with fibre optics and real water at the very least. Remember a lot of the stuff were tie ins because of the MGM agreement. This allowed Disney to "plunder" their film vaults. I'd like to see some ending where you were actually part of the experience (like the Star Trek one they have in Vegas) rather than just riding. By all means show the history of films but lets have some more up to date references too. Harold Lloyd don't mean a heap of beans to today's kids.

The last time we did ride (October 2007) we broke down 3 times with the poor CM up front trying to cover with some very weak jokes! I just felt embarassed for the guy.
                  Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

• aimster
                    Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                    Totally. I'd love to see a Darth Vader animatronic asking us to join him.

As for TDLFAN'S comment of gutting the whole thing... I disagree but I think the ride needs a major overhaul. Get rid of the giant theater vehicles and the tourguides. Make it an Ominimover through the history of film starting with silent pictures throughout the queue. Board the vehicles enters the sound era, so on so forth. There should also be a section like the superspeed tunnel in Disneyland's old People Mover where we enter the game grid of Tron to represent the beginning of computer graphics in film.
                    I think I love you.

Comment

• horizonsfan92
                      If We Can Dream It...
                      • May 2006

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Alien movies (the first two, not the godawful 3rd and 4th movies), I think the scene just needs a little TLC and a new Ripley AA (since it looks nothing like Ms. Weaver).

If we are removing scenes, I cast my vote for the following: Footlight Parade, Tarzan, and Fantasia. Those three are extremely weak compared to the other scenes around them.

Honestly, and I know this is blasphemy, I could do with out the whole "hijacking of your vehicle". The number of bad actors that I've seen...Oh it's horrible!
                      - Horizonsfan

Comment

• kirbilicious
                        MiceChatter
                        • Feb 2007

A couple scenes could use a good update but I actually love the ride for some reason. The part that annoys me the most is actually the Fantasia sequence. I wish they could change something there but the space is so limited.

Comment

• Neon Cactus
                          New Run Disney addict
                          • Jan 2005

I'd like to see an animatronic scene from Pirates, they could have Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones dueling it out with storm elements in the room.

Comment

• Angie_Duke
                            Fortuosity!
                            • Mar 2008

I love how everyone hates the Fantasia scene and justly so, it was never meant to be in the ride to begin with! It was simply a cheap fix and it shows. A Gone With the Wind scene was also meant to be built but that film would have cost extra $$ like The Wizard of Oz. I'd try and build that now is possible next to or just after the Casablanca scene.

A Bela Lugosi/Boris Karloff/Lon Chaney horror scene would be nice but those are all Universal films unfortunately.

Another problem with the ride is the lack of fully themed sets. What makes some other Disney rides great is the the detail and theming surround you and you can look up, down, left and right and see details. In GMR there are only certain scenes like this and other times you can only look at one wall to see something. An Ominimover system could fix this and have the vehicle point to only certain spots at a time. Plus the continuous loading could make lines move even faster than they already do!

Other great movies they could try to include are Forbidden Planet (classic sci-fi and that scene where the crew discovers the monster could be exciting to see), The War of the Worlds (1953), The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), and The Adventures of Robin Hood (which was THE adventure genre's definitive film until Raiders came along).
                            I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

• VeganPrincess
                              Defying gravity
                              • May 2006

GONE WITH THE WIND

Everytime I go on this ride I wonder how it is possible that "the greatest movie ever made" was omitted from this ride.

Comment

• horizonsfan92
                                If We Can Dream It...
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Angie_Duke View Post
                                I love how everyone hates the Fantasia scene and justly so, it was never meant to be in the ride to begin with! It was simply a cheap fix and it shows. A Gone With the Wind scene was also meant to be built but that film would have cost extra $$ like The Wizard of Oz.
                                I knew that the Fantasia scene was meant to be for the WOZ tornado as do most Disney fans but, there's no reason that WDI couldn't improve this weak point, just like what they did with the spiders at HM.

There's no point to Disney paying for Gone With The Wind. Disney's film catalog has grown immensly since 1989 and their partnership with Lucas isn't going anywhere. While it might be a dream for some people, there's no reason why Disney should bother with the fees associated with a non-disney property.
                                - Horizonsfan

Comment

• Monkey joe
                                  • Apr 2005

I would love a Muppet Movie scene with Kermit in the swamp then a scene with one of the Bond films.

p.s.

Batman & Robin. heehee. Freeze well.
                                  Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

• Terese
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2007

I would hope they would leave the tribute to Mary Poppins. It's such a great film, and there's no other reference to it in any of the parks.

Comment

• Coheteboy
                                      Starcruiser.. crash crash
                                      MiceChat Moderator
                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                      I think I love you.
                                      Hehe, sweet!

I've been thinking more about the re-visioning of the Great Movie Ride (and the whole park for that matter).

I've always wondered why the park never explored genres of film and had them represent different areas of the park... complete with themed architecture and attractions to support the idea.

The Great Movie Ride. What would make it a great movie ride in modern times? I think a more complete retrospective of film history and the genres that are broken down from it.

Have a portion of the ride about musicals. Westerns. Action Adventure. Sci-Fi. Horror (though less of it). Comedy. Then go into styles like animation and also about effects. Have fewer big scenes (but keep the big ones big) and more little ones.

By the time you exit the ride, you should feel more knowledgeable about the history of film, the passion that goes into it, and a deeper love and respect for it all. And when you do step off.. you should have a big smile on your face because the movies in the ride should be those moments you love forever and ever.

Oh and the omnimovers should resemble plush theater seats.. complete with cupholders (even though food and drink are not permitted on the ride).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• sorceress1986
                                        Disney worshipper/geek
                                        • Mar 2005

I have to agree that the hijackings leave too much up to chance with the actor that comes out. And so much space used in the ride for it!

While a few more varied representations in terms of time are needed, I am so tired of Disney pandering to people without any reference to the world before their teenage years that I am loathe to even mention Pirates or Narnia (don't get me started, it won't be pretty).

Star Wars, definitely.

Alien...please go away. you scare me!

But I definitely think the older the movie, the more thought you should put into it. It doesn't matter to the kids? Make it matter! make it interesting to them so they will go home and want to find out about the older films in the ride. That is the power Disney has. You can pander or empower! Yes, I realize how that sounds. I don't care!
                                        My mind won't rest
                                        and I don't sleep
                                        Not even in my dreams...
                                        -"If You Ever Did Believe"
                                        written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
                                        1985-2005

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X