Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

    I wanted to make some nice WDW postcards for my up coming trip instead of buying them as I have seen some amazing pictures ! But I do not want to take someones pictures with out asking, and I also want to know I am ok to do this.
    I wanted to send a card back each day for my parents and friends, but wanted to kind of do my own instead of the generic ones they sell. Is it ok to use a a picture for my own use, or am I going to get in trouble? also if I am ok to do this does anyone got some outstanding pictures you would not mind sharing ?
    Thanks ahead of time for all your help

  • #2
    Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

    as long as the pictures aren't being sold somewhere....I don't think it's a problem. If someone sells their pictures, then, they probably wouldn't appreciate you taking them for your own use. But, otherwise...I don't think that anybody could lay claim to them. There's no specific way of telling that the picture someone used is yours. Unless, it is earmarked. Esp. a picture taken someplace as high traffic as WDW. Every picture has probably been taken 2 million times.



    Comment


    • #3
      Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

      If you're using someone's picture from a website, that's technically illegal as those images are owned by the photographer. Granted, most people (especially on fan sites like this) won't care as long as you're not selling them. But, if I were you, I'd politely ask the photographer if they minded. That's the right thing to do.
      -Tim

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

        Originally posted by halltd View Post
        If you're using someone's picture from a website, that's technically illegal as those images are owned by the photographer. Granted, most people (especially on fan sites like this) won't care as long as you're not selling them. But, if I were you, I'd politely ask the photographer if they minded. That's the right thing to do.
        ummm please re read. I would never take someones pictures!! I want only those who are nice enough to give me some they want to share. ( high resolution ) no way will I ever steal someones work ! Thank you guys, I do nto want to sell, only for my family to enjoy

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

          Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
          as long as the pictures aren't being sold somewhere....I don't think it's a problem. If someone sells their pictures, then, they probably wouldn't appreciate you taking them for your own use. But, otherwise...I don't think that anybody could lay claim to them. There's no specific way of telling that the picture someone used is yours. Unless, it is earmarked. Esp. a picture taken someplace as high traffic as WDW. Every picture has probably been taken 2 million times.
          thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

            Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
            I wanted to make some nice WDW postcards for my up coming trip instead of buying them as I have seen some amazing pictures ! But I do not want to take someones pictures with out asking, and I also want to know I am ok to do this.
            I wanted to send a card back each day for my parents and friends, but wanted to kind of do my own instead of the generic ones they sell. Is it ok to use a a picture for my own use, or am I going to get in trouble? also if I am ok to do this does anyone got some outstanding pictures you would not mind sharing ?
            Thanks ahead of time for all your help

            Do you mean, get in trouble from Disney (I know you said you would ask the photographer for permission)

            Making a postcard from a photo and sending it to your friends/family is no different that writing a note saying "having a great time, check this out" and putting it in an envelope with a snapshot.

            -dave
            "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
            "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

              Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
              Do you mean, get in trouble from Disney (I know you said you would ask the photographer for permission)

              Making a postcard from a photo and sending it to your friends/family is no different that writing a note saying "having a great time, check this out" and putting it in an envelope with a snapshot.

              -dave
              thanks....
              with disney being strict on you using there pictures etc on things I want to make sure I was being a good girl!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

                Sending the note home everyday would be great, but with the way the postal service works these days you'd probably get home before the note from the first day arrived.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

                  Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                  I wanted to make some nice WDW postcards for my up coming trip instead of buying them as I have seen some amazing pictures ! But I do not want to take someones pictures with out asking, and I also want to know I am ok to do this.
                  I wanted to send a card back each day for my parents and friends, but wanted to kind of do my own instead of the generic ones they sell. Is it ok to use a a picture for my own use, or am I going to get in trouble? also if I am ok to do this does anyone got some outstanding pictures you would not mind sharing ?
                  Thanks ahead of time for all your help
                  Well If it's a picture taken by yourself or someone who does not work for Disney of the parks etc and you have permission from the photographer (if it's not yourself) then you should be fine unless you are for example taking a picture of a postcard and reproducing it to suit your needs. (that would be a violation of the copyright on the original work)

                  You should be fine as long as you don't try to say sell the postcards or anything like that. Basic rule of thumb is if your not profiting from it in any way Disney's lawyers will pretty much leave you alone unless it's extremely excessive. (for example if you literally sent like 50+ postcards a day, etc)

                  Besides once it's in the mail box (one that states property of US Postal Service) it's illegal for any 3rd party to open, read, intercept or otherwise tamper with it in any way without a warrant. Now the gotcha there is it has to read US MAIL or something similar on the drop box which the hotel may or may not have on it.
                  Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

                    Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                    I wanted to make some nice WDW postcards for my up coming trip instead of buying them as I have seen some amazing pictures ! But I do not want to take someones pictures with out asking, and I also want to know I am ok to do this.
                    I wanted to send a card back each day for my parents and friends, but wanted to kind of do my own instead of the generic ones they sell. Is it ok to use a a picture for my own use, or am I going to get in trouble? also if I am ok to do this does anyone got some outstanding pictures you would not mind sharing ?
                    Thanks ahead of time for all your help
                    Disney is fine with you taking your own photos, and using them as you see fit as long as you are not selling them, or using them as a way to show that you are affiliated with the Disney Company or Brand in anywyas shape or form.

                    You can create your own personal postcards and mail them.
                    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

                      Some printers actually print post-cards. I know our Canon photo printer (it specifically prints 4x6 pictures) actually have post card inserts that you can use.

                      If it's your picture you can do whatever you want with it, except sell it (in the case that it contains Disney intellectual property (castle, mickey, etc) in the picture.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: is it legal to make postcards from Disney pictures?

                        Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
                        Sending the note home everyday would be great, but with the way the postal service works these days you'd probably get home before the note from the first day arrived.
                        Even 15-20 years ago it worked that way. I when I came down in 1993, my first day here I mailed myself a postcard. I was here a week and when I got back home up north, I made it back before the postcard!

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X