Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Why Can't I Get A WDW Resort Room???

Ok, so if the economy is in such tough shape and bookings are supposed to be down, why can't I get an on property WDW resort room for any time during the 1st two weeks of January 2009? Especially since this is typically considered off peak season. I don't ever recall having this much trouble.
    I went through all the on-line travel services and even checked a few of the DVC properties.
    I plan to keep trying of course but anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Why Can't I Get A WDW Resort Room???

The only thing I can tell you is from my experience last year. We were there MLK weekend in January and were told that every room in all 3 All-Stars was booked due to cheerleader competitions. This seems to be a common thing that time of year.
    Originally posted by larasound
    am I the burrito man?

Comment

I just went to Walt Disney World's site and had no problem finding rooms from January 1 - January 14 at all the resort levels.

Comment

Dont forget the superbowl is in Tampa this year.
        Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
          The only thing I can tell you is from my experience last year. We were there MLK weekend in January and were told that every room in all 3 All-Stars was booked due to cheerleader competitions. This seems to be a common thing that time of year.
          Ugh, I hate how Disney gives away these rooms to kiddie competitions like this, especially after that fiasco last fall with that one peewee football conference. January is usually the best time for people to go to Disney World and it sucks that the cheapest rooms are usually given to rowdy teenage groups during these times. Why cant Disney just build some cheapo non-Disney hotels on property (but away from other resorts) to dump these conference folk in so they dont give hell to guests who are staying at the Disney resorts at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
            Why cant Disney just build some cheapo non-Disney hotels on property (but away from other resorts) to dump these conference folk in so they dont give hell to guests who are staying at the Disney resorts at that time?
            Isn't that Flamingo Crossing? lol

But seriously, it makes a lot of business sense for Disney to do this every year.

If you have youth sporting events, it is very rare that just the player comes.

The parents come, maybe some extended family too, then people extend the amount of time that they are down there. So long story short Disney is able to really clean up with offerings like this.
            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

January is usually the best time for people to go to Disney World
              this is our first time planning for January - thanks to some scheduling changes we can finally do it at that time - I had heard it would be no problem and that it was an ideal time to go but now I am not so sure

I just went to Walt Disney World's site and had no problem finding rooms
              I was saving that option till last as we only need rooms - not transportation or tickets or travel packages of any sort ... but thanks for checking it out

Comment

You can get just rooms through their site. It defaults to everything, but you can choose to just book rooms. Its how I always do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iluvdisney View Post
                  Dont forget the superbowl is in Tampa this year.
                  Oh crap I forgot about that. Last time the Superbowl was in Tampa, I got the hell out of Dodge for the day. I-4 heading west into Tampa was backed up from Tampa to at least Plant City or Lakeland. Insane! Eastbound towards Orlando was nearly deserted.

Comment

Great... I'll probably be on-call that day and my helicopter will break down in that mess somewhere. Yeah Mechanics!
                    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

The economy is so terrible and it's all 1929 all over again with homeless and unemployed people all over the place again. That's why $4/gal gas hasn't broken us or caused gas shortages, and why we can go to Disneyland/WDW enough for them to make billions every quarter. Yep, this economy really sucks. It's so horrible! I wish my taxes would just go up and we repeat tons of mistakes from the Carter years so everything will be awesome again, just like it was in the mid-70s!

The GDP has grown by 0.9% in Q1 and 1.9% in Q2, and while some costs have gone up, each & every person who can go to a theme park ain't doing all that badly. People have lost all concept of what it means to be thankful for what you actually have, and for the ability you have to earn the living that's being earned.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Ewww, I live 15 minutes from the stadium, I guess I'll stay nice and cozy in my living room that night and watch it here.

Regarding the original poster, I've heard, never confirmed that they reduce staff and inventory for that time of year so while it may seem like you can't get a room and it's all booked, it's probably because the majority of the rooms are closed during that time and the availability is less for that reason.

However, I think someone mentioned already they were able to book online through the Disney website, so I would suggest doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                          The economy is so terrible and it's all 1929 all over again with homeless and unemployed people all over the place again. That's why $4/gal gas hasn't broken us or caused gas shortages, and why we can go to Disneyland/WDW enough for them to make billions every quarter. Yep, this economy really sucks. It's so horrible! I wish my taxes would just go up and we repeat tons of mistakes from the Carter years so everything will be awesome again, just like it was in the mid-70s!

The GDP has grown by 0.9% in Q1 and 1.9% in Q2, and while some costs have gone up, each & every person who can go to a theme park ain't doing all that badly. People have lost all concept of what it means to be thankful for what you actually have, and for the ability you have to earn the living that's being earned.
                          what? can you repeat that?

Comment

Originally posted by OFTEric View Post
                            Isn't that Flamingo Crossing? lol

But seriously, it makes a lot of business sense for Disney to do this every year.

If you have youth sporting events, it is very rare that just the player comes.

The parents come, maybe some extended family too, then people extend the amount of time that they are down there. So long story short Disney is able to really clean up with offerings like this.

OK then I have an optional idea. It's been about 7 years since 9/11 and the whole tourism crash. If hotels are getting this crowded now would be the perfect time for Disney to hurry up and finish work on the legendary half of Pop Century. Keep the guests in January at Pop Century and the conference folk at All-Star. To each his own, eh?

Comment

January is also the marathon - rooms are held to the side for that (I am guessing by wholesalers and such). When I was a TA, often rooms would open up last minute for the marathon weekend after having zero availability. January is also much busier than it used to be in general, some schools don't start back right away after the New Year.

Also, after 9/11, Disney did shutter some resort buildings. I would be surprised if that was the case anytime soon, I read on RADP (by someone who should know) that resort numbers are somewhat off of projections from last year - but beating long-term projections that were made a number of years ago.
                              Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                              I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                              on Bay Lake.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X