This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Jim Henson Disappears From DHS

The ballon that once flew over the Muppets 3D attraction has been refurbished and returned to it's former resting place in big, bold, living color. It features Kermit looking better than ever but something is missing ... wait a minute, it's Jim Henson. His name is nowhere to be found! And a quick look at the entrance sign for the Muppets 3D attraction reveals the same sad truth.

So why has this iconic genius had his name so disrespectfully stricken from the signage? Personally I think it was entirely unnecessary and rather insulting to the man who so many have compared to Walt himself.

Whadaya think?

Re: Jim Henson Disappears From DHS

I'm hoping it's not a legal thing, but maybe the Henson family had something to do with it? Maybe they requested his name not be featured on the attraction?

Comment

I'm kinda hoping it was at the request of the Henson family and not just a de-hensonfying of the attraction. As I recall that was one of his last big projects before he died...
      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

I wonder why after all the years, the Henson family would ask for that to happen?
        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
        on Bay Lake.

Comment

I just read on Laughing Place this morning that Disney is now doing a huge push to get the Muppets back in business again, with a new movie by 2010 as well as other televised stuff in the mean time. I don't know how this relates to removing his name, but it is good to see that Disney is finally putting some oomph behind this faded franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
            I just read on Laughing Place this morning that Disney is now doing a huge push to get the Muppets back in business again, with a new movie by 2010 as well as other televised stuff in the mean time.
            The NYT article featuring a great deal of information was posted here last night:

The Muppets' fuzzy renaissance - 9/22/08
            http://micechat.com/forums/news/1044...naissance.html
            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Sorry - yes, that's where I read it.

Comment

Not a problem, just didn't want anyone here to miss the exciting news.
                "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Gah> I still need to get season 2 of Muppet Show. Is season 3 out yet? I've totally lost track.

Comment

Season 3 is available for sale. It has Fozzie's face on the cover

Comment

Disney doesn't own the name Jim Henson, so I am guessing the Henson company requested this. Just a guess. Proably to keep the Jim Henson Company and Muppet Studios seperate. I know that Brian Henson want to move away from the Muppets and onto sci-fi and fantasy stuff for his studio.
                      Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

They may be expanding into additional types of animation, but they are still designing and working with puppets, too. Henson studios giving up puppet characters, would be like Disney giving up on animation. It just won't happen.
                        Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                        An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                        Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                        Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                          They may be expanding into additional types of animation, but they are still designing and working with puppets, too. Henson studios giving up puppet characters, would be like Disney giving up on animation. It just won't happen.
                          I didn't mean that they were giving up on puppets, the henson family want to move away from the muppet image and into their own new characters and worlds. Brian Henson for one, felt handcapped by the Muppets. Everybody wanted Muppets from his studios but nothing of the other stuff. By selling the Muppets and Bear to Disney, Brian & Family were able to create new material to stand on it own without the Muppet brand. Before Jim's death, he worked on alot of non Muppet stuff like "Jim Henson's The Storyteller", "Dark Crystal", and other more fantasy type films and series. If Jim was still around, I am sure he would have moved more into this area of interest. His Son Brian co-created Farscape for Sci-fi channel and some other fantasy series for the company. Yet Henson is not giving up on family friendly puppets for example, Brian has "Sid The Science Kid" on PBS Kids with digital puppets plus a Fraggle Rock movie in the works.
                          Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Considering what they paid I'm amazed it doesn't say Disney's Muppets on the sign.

And, yes, Disney are making a huge push to resell the Muppets to a new generation.
                            Last edited by geoffa; 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM.
                            Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

They also removed the Jim Henson name from the DCA version a while back as well when they created the new sign/entry path for the attraction during the first placemaking project.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X