• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

Re: August at Pop Century

I look forward to hearing all about it.

I have read a lot of good things about this resort. Originally, we were thinking about the All Stars. Many people told me to reconsider, and stay at the newer Pop Century instead. So I have done a lot of research, and I think that I have made the best decision for this trip.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Maverick
      What's a motto with you?
      • Apr 2007

The last time I was at WDW I stayed at Pop. It was a lot of fun. clearly very different from a Deluxe but I still enjoyed it very much. Hope you have a great time and get some details on what's going on across the lake at the Legendary Years part!
      Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

• Barbaraann
        Chicago Gal
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        The last time I was at WDW I stayed at Pop. It was a lot of fun. clearly very different from a Deluxe but I still enjoyed it very much. Hope you have a great time and get some details on what's going on across the lake at the Legendary Years part!
        I don't think that they will ever finish the other side of that resort. At least, I have read that in a few different places. Don't ask me exactly where, my memory isn't that good.

You see, I really want the experience of a value resort. It has been on my long list of things to do at Disney World. It really fits in well with the budget that I have for this trip.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Maverick
          What's a motto with you?
          • Apr 2007

How sad no Legendary Years
          Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Comment

• Barbaraann
            Chicago Gal
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            How sad no Legendary Years
            I am not an expert. I just read that. I hope that they do complete it someday.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

• aimster
              Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Another thumbs up for Petals pool bar here. Awesome strawberry daiquiris and the bartender was cool. Plus I enjoyed just sitting there listening to the awesome mix of music playing.

Comment

• Barbaraann
                Chicago Gal
                • Apr 2005

I wish that I could get my hands on a good map. Most of them aren't too clear, or don't provide enough information.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

• flynnibus
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  I wish that I could get my hands on a good map. Most of them aren't too clear, or don't provide enough information.
                  Just use the real thing

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible (click the link - forget the stupid title MiceChat tries to put on URLs now)

There isn't much to know except which buildings clusters are what.

The pool bar is right behind the main building on the way to the big pool. The 'preferred' rooms are the buildings directly behind the main building. (with the yo-yos).

The curved roof out in front of the main building is the bus stops. The entrance where the bus roof hits the building is the end of the lobby, and just to the left from there is where the store and food court is.
                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Barbaraann
                    Chicago Gal
                    • Apr 2005

Thanks flynnibus for that link. It is really interesting, and fun to play with those controls. I will defintely be viewing that map a lot between now, and August.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

• flynnibus
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jun 2006

Yeah, the bird's eye view of live.com is very cool to explore with They have most of Disney covered pretty well.
                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

• Zorro825
                        Rides against injustice
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                        Just use the real thing

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible (click the link - forget the stupid title MiceChat tries to put on URLs now)

There isn't much to know except which buildings clusters are what.

The pool bar is right behind the main building on the way to the big pool. The 'preferred' rooms are the buildings directly behind the main building. (with the yo-yos).

The curved roof out in front of the main building is the bus stops. The entrance where the bus roof hits the building is the end of the lobby, and just to the left from there is where the store and food court is.
                        Thanks for that link! Now I'm going to playing with this thing all day here at work..lol
                        Out of the NIGHT....
                        When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                        Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                        ---------------------------------------

Comment

• Zorro825
                          Rides against injustice
                          • Feb 2005

So I'm back from my vacation at WDW. It was an awesome trip and my wife and I had so much fun. The POP was perfect for our needs. We loved the hotel and its theming and the staff was friendly and always willing to help us out. My only complaint would be the food court. It would get EXTREMLEY busy in the mornings and at night. If you're not planning on eating at the hotel (and really we only ate there twice) then you wont even notice
                          Out of the NIGHT....
                          When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                          Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                          ---------------------------------------

Comment

• Barbaraann
                            Chicago Gal
                            • Apr 2005

I have shortened my stay at Pop Century, in August, from 9 nights to 6. My husband and I happen to own points in Wyndham Resorts, so I decided to use my points to stay at the Bonnet Creek resort, the last three nights of my nine night vacation.

I remember when we bought the points, they kept pushing the fact that I could stay at a Disney resort using my points. Bonnet Creek is smack dab in the middle of WDW territory, but they are not a Disney Resort. I was told that there are shuttles to the parks. I guess I will find out first hand.

I didn't want to book my entire stay at Wyndham, because I just didn't trust the facts. Staying at Pop Century, I know that I will be able to come and go as I please. At Bonnet Creek, I am just not sure. You know that uncertainty when you do something for the first time.

I figure after 6 nights at Pop Century, it will be nice to just relax at Bonnet Creek. My husband and I have stayed at the Wyndham Resort at Glacier Canyon in Wisconsin, and the 2 bedroom unit is super. That is what we have booked at Bonnet Creek. By doing this, I am saving almost $500 on my hotel bill. I have 2 rooms booked at Pop Century for those other 6 nights. Now there are 4 of us, instead of the original 3. My grandson's aunt is joining us.

We have decided to rent a car, so that Kathy and Sean can finally get to visit Universal Studios, and Sea World. I am happy to spend all my time at WDW, I figure it will be a nice relaxed vacation.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Barbaraann
                              Chicago Gal
                              • Apr 2005

Everytime I book a vacation, I don't quite believe that I am going until I book my flight. Well today, I booked my flight. So now I am getting excited again about my trip. We will be leaving very early in the morning, and should be at our resort before noon. We are renting a car this time, so that should definitely make our vacation a whole lot more easy in the travel department.

It seems that the most expensive part of this trip is going to be the park tickets. I have been researching Sea World tickets and Universal Orlando tickets in addition to the WDW ones. We are definitely going to get parkhoppers. Now I just have to decide how many days I want to spend elsewhere. It will be a day day trip, although the first and last days are traveling days, of course.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Jerren
                                Disneyholic
                                • Aug 2006

I don't think that they will ever finish the other side of that resort. At least, I have read that in a few different places. Don't ask me exactly where, my memory isn't that good.

You see, I really want the experience of a value resort. It has been on my long list of things to do at Disney World. It really fits in well with the budget that I have for this trip.
                                In January it looked like they where doing something with the half completed buildings in the legendary side so there's some hope. I stayed at All Stars music last month for the first time, and toured the other Values along with the other hotels on property. Now it's not the Polynesian or Contemporary but the rooms are clean, the noise was minimal even with the cheerleaders and Brazilians roaming about, the doors seem to be thicker and better insulated since they are facing outside like a motel than the inside facing rooms in the Deluxes.

Here ya go Barbara this is the "official" resort map for the Pop Century: http://yourmagicaltravelplanner.com/...PopCentury.pdf
                                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

• aimster
                                  Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

^^ Yep that's the map they give you when you check in.

Oh and if you get the 70's building, park in the 90's lot as it's closer to the building.

Comment

• Parisi
                                    I'll Break your Thumbs!!
                                    • Oct 2005

I stayed at the Pop Century this past Oct 2008. I have to say it was the first time I stayed on Disney property since 2000, and for a value resort, I could not have been happier.

The hotel is really nice. The rooms, while small, were sufficient. The food court was great, and my room was in a preferred building, so I was right near the main building and bus stop.

I have to say that anytime I go back to Disney now, I will be staying at the Pop. It really is that good!!!

Comment

• Jerren
                                      Disneyholic
                                      • Aug 2006

^^ Yeah out of all the Values I think the POP is the best of the lot, it has more rooms, 3 pools vrs the 2 at the All Stars, and they have the big Icons covering the stair wells on the ends of the buildings vs just the metal "cage" on the All-Stars, its a nice touch. There just seems to be a little more detail in the icons as well but that could just be me. (note the finger prints in the playdough animals... nice touch!)

Now that said if you have a big family the new family suites at the All Stars Music are a nice option. They basically cut a hole in the wall to link 2 adjoining rooms, added a kitchenette and a private bedroom (with door) on one side and the other side they have a double bed pull out and 2 singe bed pull outs (one chair, one automan) so you can get 6 adults plus a pack and play crib in there, pluse you get 2 full bathrooms, wich with 6 people is pretty much a must. :ap: They cost twice as much but you have everyone in one suite wich is a big deal when you have small kids and want to have them all together.
                                      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

• Barbaraann
                                        Chicago Gal
                                        • Apr 2005

I toyed with the idea of a suite at All Star Movies. However, the cost for the two rooms is actually about the same. My grandson is 16, and I am traveling with him and his mom. Quite frankly I have seen photos of the suite, and the 2 rooms at Pop Century were more appealing to us.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

• OCBear
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Feb 2007

I also stayed at Pop in December for my first trip to WDW. I had such a blast. Food court didn't bother me at all, I just always made sure I got there early in the morning and had no problem at all with crowds. I also loved that they didn't share buses with any other resort.
                                          Keith

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X