This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Typhoon Lagoon VS Blizzard Beach

Among all the trips I have ever taken to WDW I had never visited Typhoon Lagoon. I plan to visit this year on my trip, and of course stop in at my favorite Blizzard Beach. I have heard some rumor that Typhoon isn't as good, can anyone confirm or deny this? Certainly it is opinion based but I prefer more thrilling water slides and more variety hence why I always went to Blizzard Beach.

Re: Typhoon Lagoon VS Blizzard Beach

Well in all fairness, Typhoon Lagoon isn't much far behind BB in terms of thrill rides, in fact with the addition of Crush n Gusher I'd say they are quite even. On my trip in December, TL was closed for refurb and I greatly missed it. As much as I love BB, I will always pick the lush landscapes, the gorgeous, relaxed atmosphere and the exquisite theming of TL instead.

I don't think you can place one above the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Mine is just a personal preference. I love a mixture of thrill rides and relaxation, whereas I feel BB is hard to relax at. At TL, you can do both.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
      Well in all fairness, Typhoon Lagoon isn't much far behind BB in terms of thrill rides, in fact with the addition of Crush n Gusher I'd say they are quite even. On my trip in December, TL was closed for refurb and I greatly missed it. As much as I love BB, I will always pick the lush landscapes, the gorgeous, relaxed atmosphere and the exquisite theming of TL instead.

I don't think you can place one above the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Mine is just a personal preference. I love a mixture of thrill rides and relaxation, whereas I feel BB is hard to relax at. At TL, you can do both.

You are correct on it being hard to find a relaxing spot at BB. I have heard many things about Crush n Gusher and I cannot wait to try it out. Sounds like TL is more of a tropical paradise!

Comment

I prefer Typhoon Lagoon myself. It has a much more relaxing feel to me. I suggest to try it out and see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxalarm View Post
          You are correct on it being hard to find a relaxing spot at BB. I have heard many things about Crush n Gusher and I cannot wait to try it out. Sounds like TL is more of a tropical paradise!
          It certainly is. It was conceptualised and built in a time when Disney was throwing money at Walt Disney World, and had the Imagineers who could visualise and build these masterpieces. Pleasure Island and Disney-MGM Studios (remember before the Hat?) were designed by the same people who designed Typhoon Lagoon, so you can expect to visit a true example from the later period of WDW's Golden Age.
          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I love Typhoon Lagoon. BB has some fun slides, but the park just doesn't have the same feel. TL just has a wonderfully relaxing escapist feel about it with some great slides as well (I haven't been since Crush'n Gusher). I also love the shark snorkeling.

I will almost always choose great theme and relaxation over great thrill however.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxalarm View Post
              Among all the trips I have ever taken to WDW I had never visited Typhoon Lagoon. I plan to visit this year on my trip, and of course stop in at my favorite Blizzard Beach. I have heard some rumor that Typhoon isn't as good, can anyone confirm or deny this? Certainly it is opinion based but I prefer more thrilling water slides and more variety hence why I always went to Blizzard Beach.
              Well Typhoon Lagoon does have the water roller coaster that Blizzard Beach doesn't have. Some advice. Keep your rear end up. Typhoon Lagoon does have an awesome wave pool that Blizzard Beach doesn't. IMO Typhoon Lagoon does have the better theming as well. BB has good theming on the slides, but many of the stair cases looked like uh well big long stair cases. Typhoon has good theming all around except for the water coaster. Typhoon Lagoon also has the swim with the sharks. Although I must confess the view is much better and there is no line if you just walk in to the under water viewing area. The group slide is far superior at Blizzard Beach. Typhoon Lagoon's is short and you have to roll your own tube up. But Typhoon Lagoon's is good at one thing, getting the riders very wet. The individual tube slides are far superior at Blizzard Beach. The stuff for the kids is also better at Blizzard Beach. Typhoon Lagoon has the little kids area, but no real intermediate kids area. There is no equal at Typhoon Lagoon for the Plummet or the humpy slide right next to it. Humunga Kawabunga is an enclosed straight slide but it's not near the height of the plummet. I think the twisting slides are a bit better at Typhoon. But you go down on your back rather than face first on a mat. The food is much the same. But we've gotten better quality at Blizzard Beach. Typhoon Lagoon has the better layout imo. It's much easier to get around the place. Typhoon Lagoon had more places just to relax and the cabanas were much better placed.

We have a good time at both. The slides overall are much better at Blizzard Beach unless you're not into the big ones. But the wave pool is awesome at Typhoon Lagoon.

For those reading that are not in the best of shape athletically, the better option is typhoon lagoon. The climbs at Blizzard beach are bigger and more strenuous. The slides at Typhoon lagoon are also less physically demanding on the whole.

Comment

I think both parks are quite enjoyable, and I would visit both... but it also depends on what you may enjoy more.. Typhoon Lagoon is a more subdued experience, while Blizzard beach has more speed slides. But again, both parks are great. DO BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                  I think both parks are quite enjoyable, and I would visit both... but it also depends on what you may enjoy more.. Typhoon Lagoon is a more subdued experience, while Blizzard beach has more speed slides. But again, both parks are great. DO BOTH!
                  I enjoy girls most -with big ..um, bottles of sun screen. Which waterpark has the most of those?

Although I haven't been to either, I have an opinion from my readings. Blizzard Beach has more of a unique theme. Typhoon Lagoon has a much larger variety of things to do ..including the snorkel pool and Crush N Gusher.
                  To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I enjoy Typhoon Lagoon much more. But I'm not as much into the thrills. I like the wave pool, lazy river, snorkel lagoon, and shady spots to nap at Typhoon Lagoon. Blizzard Beach was a Go Go Go Fun experience which I'm just not as interested in any more.

Both parks are fantastic, but have slightly different tone and target audience.
                    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

I think both parks are pretty equal, the things that make Typhoon Lagoon good are the relaxing tropical setting, Crush and Gusher is my favorite water slide EVER, and snorkeling.

Have fun!

Comment

I'm SOOOO glad you asked this question. We're looking at going to our first Disney water park on this trip....and I was wondering which to choose.

I think TL will have our vote and our visit. BB might have a better kiddy play area, but, our daughter is 6, and I'm sure she'd much rather spend her time in the lazy river and wave pool.

Thanks everyone for helping me out too!

Comment

Another vote for TL over BB, unless your family has the target 11-15 year old olds, in which case BB makes more sense. Otherwise, TL wins on every count, IMHO.
                          Kevin Yee
                          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                          Mouse Trap
                          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

I really think Typhoon lagoon is much better in many respects, The shark reef is a lot of fun and if you get the chance try the surface scuba for 20$ you get about 1/2 hour of air and can really enjoy the fish and swimming with the sharks much better than the snorkel dash. It's much more relaxing, and crush and gushers is a lot of fun. The wave pool is much better than the one at Blizzard beach, and it has a much more relaxed feel overall.

Now the legnth and number of slides at Blizzard beach is greater, so if all your after is water slides then BB may be more for you, but I think families have more to do and more options at TL even though it may have fewer slides there's a much wider variety of activities.
                            Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Not much more to add other than I agree with the majority of posts here - TL is my preferred water park because it's got just the right mix of thrills, theming and relaxation.

Crush & Gusher is an excellent addition to the park.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
                              Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X