Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Obama and the Hall of Presidents

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama and the Hall of Presidents

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I have to admit the Clinton joke went over my head or are we stereotyping any white man that can play the sax?
    BTW, as the previous poster mentioned.. Obama is half black and hardly African, since he was born in Hawaii! Lovely state.
    Actually, Obama's father is from Kenya, so that would make him 50% African right from the get-go.

And the new name for the attraction is going to be "The Hall of Presidents Goes Old School".

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
      42 actually. Barack is the 2nd Black President. Bill Clinton was the first.
      Actually it's 41, don't forget that Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th President. So it's Barack and Bill and the 41 White Guys!
      In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

This will be the first time my husband actually WANTS to see the HOP!!!

I think we only went once together and that was back in 1996!

Comment

Every so often, I come across a stereotype I didn't even know existed. Sax playing is supposedly a black thing? Am I the only one who didn't know that?
          Kevin Yee
          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
          Mouse Trap
          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious. Dan Rather

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
            Every so often, I come across a stereotype I didn't even know existed. Sax playing is supposedly a black thing? Am I the only one who didn't know that?

Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
              Too bad, they righties can get over it.
              most sane righties supported him. Hate to say it but the bulk of the people that opposed him were hicks and uneducated folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                ^ Sweet. Thanks for digging up the reference. Kinda thought it was common knowledge, guess not. :shy:

Frankly I surprised it needs to be down for so long. I thought it was the case that after George W., that the presidents from now on won't be making any speeches (apparently W kept getting booed too much) and Lincoln was going to do all the gabbing. So all they need to do is put up an Obama AA that slowly waves. And program some movements for Lincoln. 7 months? Clearly I don't know enough about the process to understand what would take so long.

That only happened to me one time while I was at the HOP in 2006 where some people booed Bush's speech. I gave them a stern glance. To me that is entirely disrespectful and classless thing to do no matter if you like the guy or not. I hope they continue the tradition of the current President giving a speech to close the show, it would be a shame to ruin that tradition just because of ignorant people in the world especially since we now have a great orator in the White House.

Comment

Just a gentle reminder that talking about politics sin't allowed on the main board.

Please get this back on topic. Thanks!
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

They are refurbishing HOP, but couldn't get started on building the new AA until they knew the outcome of the election. So that's why they can't jump on Obamamania right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
                      That only happened to me one time while I was at the HOP in 2006 where some people booed Bush's speech. I gave them a stern glance. To me that is entirely disrespectful and classless thing to do no matter if you like the guy or not. I hope they continue the tradition of the current President giving a speech to close the show, it would be a shame to ruin that tradition just because of ignorant people in the world especially since we now have a great orator in the White House.
                      Booing an AA?? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                        They are refurbishing HOP, but couldn't get started on building the new AA until they knew the outcome of the election. So that's why they can't jump on Obamamania right now.
                        'its all the same color on the inside...'

AAs have the same guts.. and its not like they didn't know what the guys looked like so they couldn't design the dolls. They wouldn't need 8 months just to put one AA together. You don't run a company by waiting until you can physically do something to start it. They don't close the place before they know what they are doing, and have the work done, etc.

Having the HOP down for so long is actually pretty encouraging that its getting some good TLC and hopefully some enhancements. I would assume because there are so many AAs they need a lot of time to refurb them and they are going through them all. Otherwise, I can't imagine why they would close it for such a great length of time.

I wish we had more WDW rehab news here on the forum. No one has even mentioned UoE going down, etc.

Comment

I doubt a wholly new animatronic is being built for President Obama. Instead the A-100 that was President Bush is probably being changed into President Obama, with a new, simpler animatronic being built for the former president. There is no need to have President Bush continue to be a complex figure with a wide range of movements if all he is going to do is smile and nod like the other presidents.

Comment

Good Point LB.. but that means they still have two AAs to rework.

One time I'd love to sit with a project manager on one of these refurbs to really get the project timeline broken down. Their 6-9 month schedules just seem crazy long.

Comment

But imagine if the other presidents really were A100s!

(head filling with visions of presidents moving and dancing like Charley Brown characters in unison)
                              Kevin Yee
                              MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                              Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                              Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                              Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                              Mouse Trap
                              Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                              101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                              Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious. Dan Rather

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                I doubt a wholly new animatronic is being built for President Obama. Instead the A-100 that was President Bush is probably being changed into President Obama, with a new, simpler animatronic being built for the former president. There is no need to have President Bush continue to be a complex figure with a wide range of movements if all he is going to do is smile and nod like the other presidents.
                                That's a great point. I'm also wondering if they are considering doing something similar to the rumoured plans for Great moments with Mr. Lincoln and have Obama interact directly with Lincoln on stage. To me that would be pretty cool and reason for the delay. I think with this historic election and the mood of the country Disney has a real chance to do something special with an attraction that most would otherwise pass over.

Comment

It's not just a case of putting up an AA of Barack. Rumour is that he will not have a speaking role. They are completely re-doing the whole show. That long tedious film is going. The presentation is to be slicker and snappier with Lincoln presiding over it all. So who knows what to expect.
                                  The great moments with Mr Lincoln at DL introduced those amazing headsets where the sound is all around you and the haircut you get feels like its really happening - they are sprucing you up to meet Abe! So they could come up with all sorts of new techno - we will just have to wait and see.
                                  Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
                                    Not true, they actually already had a McCain and Obama head done before the outcome of the election.

Originally posted by geoffa View Post
                                    It's not just a case of putting up an AA of Barack. Rumour is that he will not have a speaking role. They are completely re-doing the whole show. That long tedious film is going. The presentation is to be slicker and snappier with Lincoln presiding over it all. So who knows what to expect.
                                    The great moments with Mr Lincoln at DL introduced those amazing headsets where the sound is all around you and the haircut you get feels like its really happening - they are sprucing you up to meet Abe! So they could come up with all sorts of new techno - we will just have to wait and see.
                                    Obama will have a speaking role. As a matter of fact, WDI already has given the speech to him for approval (which it has gotten, they are waiting on the recording now). The speech was made from excerpts from previous speeches he has given.

In the new HOP, you can expect George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Barack Obama to speak. The hall is also getting new lighting, sound as well as a nice spit and polish. WDI is also making it so people in wheelchairs can enter into the entrance instead of the exit. I'm not sure if they are putting in a remastered version of the film or if the old one will get a cleaning but it is supposed to stay last I heard.

Basically, this is HOP's Mansion style refurb. It should be outstanding.

Comment

[quote=Krankenstein;3400531]Not true, they actually already had a McCain and Obama head done before the outcome of the election.

Obama will have a speaking role. As a matter of fact, WDI already has given the speech to him for approval (which it has gotten, they are waiting on the recording now). The speech was made from excerpts from previous speeches he has given.

Thanks for the info Krankenstein. I'm glad to hear that WDI decided not adandon the speaking role of the current President. Have you heard anything about interactions between the Presidents, specifically Obama and Lincoln?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
                                        Thanks for the info Krankenstein. I'm glad to hear that WDI decided not adandon the speaking role of the current President. Have you heard anything about interactions between the Presidents, specifically Obama and Lincoln?
                                        I will be just as surprised as you. I really have no clue what the actual script or format is going to be, but the involvement of the 3 Presidents I mentioned is pretty solid. The only thing that could possibly change it is if Obama doesn't get the recording to WDI in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankenstein View Post
                                          In the new HOP, you can expect George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Barack Obama to speak. The hall is also getting new lighting, sound as well as a nice spit and polish. WDI is also making it so people in wheelchairs can enter into the entrance instead of the exit. I'm not sure if they are putting in a remastered version of the film or if the old one will get a cleaning but it is supposed to stay last I heard.

Basically, this is HOP's Mansion style refurb. It should be outstanding.
                                          Thank you! This explains the long downtime! It seemed excessive to be down for 7 months to stick in one more president, but this totally makes sense.
                                          "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Working...
                                          X