X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarki7
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2008

Re: Planning First WDW Trip, any tips???

Of the hotel property? http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/PopCenturyMap.pdf

Or of the entire resort? Walt Disney World Overview Maps | Walt Disney World Resort
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Comment

• InspiredByWalt
      Pathetically Obsessed
      • May 2005

Dan and Mike - I've got everyone in the same 'training' mode for our first WDW trip as well! We're out walking with the kids, I got them all new athletic shoes with feet pads and we're breaking them in on our walks right now. In addition, I want to look good in the pool, so I'm riding my exercise bike every day for an hour. I've already lost 15 lbs since January, and could stand another 15, but I'll settle for 5 more before we go in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!

"Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Comment

• danyoung
        Super Old Guy
        • Jan 2005

Wow - 15 pounds since January? I've been happy with the 9 pounds I've managed to lose, with hopefully another 5 or so in the next 5 weeks. But then I'm cheating a lot - food is just so danged tasty!!!

Comment

• Parisi
          I'll Break your Thumbs!!
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by msflames2000 View Post
          Hello all this is my first posting as a new member. Im planning on going to WDW sometime this year and would love all the tips and hints I could get. I have a condo for a week, just no idea on when to go and what to see. All tips would graciously be accepted. Thank you.
          Eat at Ohana'

It is located at the Polynesian resort, and it offers the best food in all of WDW!! As soon as you know when you are going, call Disney dining (407-WDW-DINE) and make reservations, as they fill up pretty fast.

Comment

• InspiredByWalt
            Pathetically Obsessed
            • May 2005

Here's another tip or at least a decision we've made regarding transportation while we're on our first trip to WDW in less than three weeks! (We're also DL vets)

You can take taxis to, from, or between theme parks (works well when you want to park hop), and we really struggled with the decision about how we were going to get around during our visit. After reading a very well-thought out post (First time WDW vacations for DL vets), we've decided to just be in one theme park each day. That decision saved us some cash on park tickets; we declined to buy park hoppers saving us $$$.

We are going for 10 days/9 evenings (two are travel from and back to Seattle). We have a time share also, so we're good for 7 of our 9 nights.

We decided to spend our first couple of nights on property (Port Orleans - Riverside) and mulled the question of transportation. Here's what we decided:
            • We'll use Magical Express from Orlando Airport to our hotel on property and use the buses to get us to/from the parks from PO-R for the days we stay on property.
            • We'll get a rental car when we move off-property (and went with Enterprise because they'll come get me at PO-R). Then we'll drive that back to Orlando Airport (with a drop-off fee) when we leave. We figured this was easier than taking the time share shuttle or taking taxis everywhere. The $$ is a little more for a rental car (we got a great deal - so no complaints there), but thought that it beat having to rely on calling taxis all the time.

Hope this helps. I got a lot of advice after I posted here in MC as well. Good luck!
            Last edited by InspiredByWalt; 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM.
            "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Comment

• Mark Dewd
              MiceChatter
              • Feb 2008

Bottom Line WDW Tips:

1. No matter how long you think it will take you to see and do everything you want, it will probably take longer. (WDW is big.)

2. No matter how much you think your WDW visit will cost, it will probably cost more. (WDW is expensive.)

Nonetheless, you will be impressed by the sheer scope and size of the WDW resort. There's nothing else like it on this planet. Enjoy!

Comment

• CinderelLaura
                New MiceChatter
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mark Dewd View Post
                1. No matter how long you think it will take you to see and do everything you want, it will probably take longer. (WDW is big.)
                Ain't THAT the truth!

Comment

• CinderelLaura
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bstone76 View Post
                  Wow if FP's run out that early the parks must be much busier than Disneyland. I have another question, I am looking for the best value. Anyone have any recommedations for a value or moderate hotel? Are there Non-Disney hotels that have easy access to the parks. I'm probably not going to go until January or February next year, but I want to get an early start.

I'm trying to balance price vs easy access to the parks.
                  I really like their All-Star Movies resort, it's cute and fun even if you're not a kid (we took four adults and loved it!)

Keep in mind if you want to stay off-property that you're going to have to pay daily for parking -- I think it's 10 or 11 dollars a day. So you might want to calculate that into your thought processes. But the Disney Economy hotels are really quite reasonably priced in my opinion, I'd go for it.

Comment

• Mouse princess
                    Hello there
                    • Apr 2005

You didn't mention when you are planning to go, but depending on whether you can take advantage of the Disney deals.
                    You can also find hotels right outside the maingate, approx 4 miles or even as close as 1 mile from WDW for like $30/$40 a night. Its usually like a Days Inn or something compatible. A lot of these maingate hotels also offer shuttle service to WDW. If you add in the cost of the parking fees (if you rent a car) of $12 + 40 = it might be cheaper to stay off property. But keep in mind these hotels may not be as nice as a value resort at WDW. I have stayed at a few during my poor college years and survived. But these are off season prices and pretty much just a bed to sleep in.

But if you can take advantage of the buy 4/get 3 free deal, you are better off staying on property, a valued resort would be your best bet.
                    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• danyoung
                      Super Old Guy
                      • Jan 2005

Also remember that off property hotel shuttles don't run with very good frequency. It can be frustrating to be ready to get back to your hotel and not have a bus coming for another 2 hours.

And you should be aware that once you pay for parking for a day, you can leave and return any time on the same parking ticket, even if you hop to another park.

Comment

• InspiredByWalt
                        Pathetically Obsessed
                        • May 2005

Hey Dan - does that parking thing apply to Downtown Disney as well? So if we pay for parking at Blizzard Beach, can we then head over to DtD for dinner and not have to pay?

Thanks brother!
                        "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Comment

• danyoung
                          Super Old Guy
                          • Jan 2005

There is no charge for parking at Downtown Disney (or at the water parks if I remember right). Only at the parks.

Comment

• InspiredByWalt
                            Pathetically Obsessed
                            • May 2005

Good news! Thanks!
                            "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X