• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taggart
    Self Congratulative
    • Feb 2005

My Mezzo Mix Story

The whole Ice Station Cool/Club LameName thing has brought a lot of good memories to my mind lately. ISC eventually became my favorite thing about Epcot. I just hope the free sodas return, especially Mezzo. In light of the recent attention to the subject, heres a good story,

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARS ago...

Back when I rarely made the trip from San Antonio to Epcot, I stopped in Ice Station Cool. On that day, my friends and I found a new love for the Orange tinted cola, Mezzo Mix. We found ourselves making a trip every hour to sample the citrus-laced fizzy. If you know Epcot, you know how long of a walk it is from the American Adventure to Innoventions, but we tirelessly made it every time.

Well, on one of those trips back inside the ISC, or "The Hop" as we liked to call it, I stumbled on the brilliant idea of paying for one of those 3 foot tall Coke bottle coin banks and filling it with our delectable MezzObsession. After 13 minutes of constant filling, we filled it up.

But, and I consider this a big turning point in my life, a few things didn't go as planned:

1. Whilst carrying around a 3 foot tall plastic bottle filled with soda, it leaves at least one of the members of your party to have "Soda Babysitting" duty. Not fun.

2. The lack of a 3 foot long straw makes drinking out of our Mezzopotamia quite a task. It took two to lift, one to drink.

3. You get a lot of wierd looks from guests.

4. I didn't know Florida had flies until we created this 3 foot tall beacon for them.

5. The container wasn't exactly "leak proof"

6. Mezzo Mix is quite good, but... well, you kind of get sick after your third gallon.

7. Ellen and Bill Nye totally changed our lives on that sugar high.

So there we are, bloated, destroyed, and quite sick from Mezzo overload. I'm not a female, but I think that's as close as I'll ever come to feeling menstrual pains. As good ol' Walt's punishment for abusing "The Hop's" magical juice, two things occurred:
    A friend and I both ralphed in front of the roman empire in ruins on SSE. Also, in a freak of science in which none can explain, a half-full juggarnaut of Mezzo spontaneously combusted all over one of my friends, leaving him sticky the rest of the afternoon. Out of this whole time, however, I was really intrigued by the fact that not a single cast member said anything to us.

There really isn't a moral to this story because I'm sure no one is as dumb as I was back then. I hope you enjoyed it, however.
  • danyoung
    Super Old Guy
    • Jan 2005

Re: My Mezzo Mix Story

2 things - I enjoyed the story, and you really were stupid!!!

Comment

• Taggart
      Self Congratulative
      • Feb 2005

Stupid? Yes.. I'll agree. At least we didn't have to pay our life savings for a Coke at the park. But freedom doesn't come without a price, my friend.

Hmm.. college was fun.

Comment

• TDLFAN
        Banned User
        • Feb 2005

I always prefered Beverly Soda the best.

Comment

• figment1986
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

I was close to having a bottle plant created to make beverly.. for prank stores.. and mezo for schools.. lol

great srory.. you were crazy...

Comment

• Labuda
            Uber Disney freak! �O�
            • Jan 2005

Great story! And, as a native San Antonian, I gotta ask - what part of town did you live in?
            -Ann

WDW:
            July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
            Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a :monkey:?

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
              How do you do?
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Jan 2005

I wonder why no one thought of that before...
              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• Bellhop Micah
                lol
                • Sep 2005

There's a moral to this story... Atleast it wasn't with Beverly.

Comment

• Taggart
                  Self Congratulative
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Labuda
                  Great story! And, as a native San Antonian, I gotta ask - what part of town did you live in?
                  In the St. Hedwig/East Central side, but I was going to Incarnate Word University at the time. I had lived there all of my life and I just moved to Oklahoma about 4 years ago and transferred to OU.

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                  I always prefered Beverly Soda the best.
                  That is just disgusting... have you ever thought about getting that checked?

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo
                  I wonder why no one thought of that before...
                  Well, I just like to call it "dumb integrity." Just like putting CD's into a microwave... you don't know why you really do it.

Comment

• Schda
                    • May 2005

Okay that was a funny story... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But don't the CMs get mad when you fill up containers with pop? If not I so would have filled part of my nalgene with some Mezzo Mix or Smart Watermelon, or even Vegibata.

*sigh*

It makes me sad to know that Ice Station Cool will be closed while I'm down there in 10 days (yes finally only 10 days!) I used to love getting the little samples of pop, even the beverely. Hopefully when it re-opens you can buy cups or bottles.

Speaking in a Mezzo Mix story though, does anyone know where you can source it online? My little brother is a freak for Mezzo Mix, and when we went to Germany it would be all he would drink and he was looking forward to it, even having not been to Disneyworld for over two years I'd love to pick some up for him for Christmas this year.

Comment

• erick13
                      Former CM
                      • May 2005

Found a recipe for Mezzo Mix:

Mezzo mix - Mix Coke and Fanta in equal amounts. Sold as a whole new drink, although some places (bars and restaurants) will just mixt the two on site (tastes the same). Not too bad actually - the Coca Cola Company effectively generated a whole new product with minimal investment - I'm surprised it's never seen outside Germany

Comment

• danyoung
                        Super Old Guy
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Schda
                        If not I so would have filled part of my nalgene with some Mezzo Mix or Smart Watermelon, or even Vegibata.
                        I'm not sure if I'll regret asking, but what's a nalgene? Is it anything like a henway?

Comment

• erick13
                          Former CM
                          • May 2005

You can also buy it form here and here.

Comment

• All Aglow
                            <3
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by erick13
                            Found a recipe for Mezzo Mix:

Mezzo mix - Mix Coke and Fanta in equal amounts. Sold as a whole new drink, although some places (bars and restaurants) will just mixt the two on site (tastes the same). Not too bad actually - the Coca Cola Company effectively generated a whole new product with minimal investment - I'm surprised it's never seen outside Germany
                            We do this all the time, Coke and Fanta Orange - it's darn close if you get the mixture right. We've been doing that ever since living in Germany while I was in Kindergarten (lived there 3 different times, 3 years each, for a total of 9 years) since we'd crave it after leaving there.

Comment

• xzoocrew
                              Been there-Doing it again
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by danyoung
                              I'm not sure if I'll regret asking, but what's a nalgene? Is it anything like a henway?
                              Dan you are so bad but I'll sit quietly waiting to see what happens.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                Banned User
                                • Feb 2005

[QUOTE=Taggart]That is just disgusting... have you ever thought about getting that checked?[quote]

Why is that disgusting? I happen to like bitter soda.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                                  How do you do?
                                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                  • Jan 2005

You know, why does this have to be done just at Ice Station Cool? Why not bring one of those huge bottles down and use them at the mug refilling station at the hotel? I would feel bad for the employee who had to talk someone out of that.

Comment

• TDLFAN
                                    Banned User
                                    • Feb 2005

I actually did see one CM doing just that, as some UK guest was filling his thermus. The CM told him he could not do so and only to use the small cups provided for sampling. I applauded that since most CMs now a days seem to have a problem laying down the law with such guest behavior.

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                                      How do you do?
                                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                      • Jan 2005

I applaud that cast member....definitely a problem...but I think it would just be strange to see someone at the beverage island filling up that huge Coke bottle...something to treasure forever.

Comment

• figment1986
                                        Banned User
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                                        I actually did see one CM doing just that, as some UK guest was filling his thermus. The CM told him he could not do so and only to use the small cups provided for sampling. I applauded that since most CMs now a days seem to have a problem laying down the law with such guest behavior.
                                        ok... (grabs small cups.. and fills up mug another way.. lol)

I am surprised i didn't see much of that the days i went... and how employees usually were laid back...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X