• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boxalarm
    Engine Co 71
    • Jan 2009

[Question] Extra Magic Hours

This year will be the first time I have taken advantage of EMH. Are the lines much shorter during these hours compared to earlier in the day? I understand that not ALL the park rides are operational during these hours which makes me wonder if everyone who's left in the park after all the non-resort guests leave, do they just crowd the attractions left open for EMH? I don't expect to not have a wait of some sort but if I am waiting 45 minutes for say, BTMRR, then how is that "extra magical"?
  • Micoofy Duck
    I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • May 2006

Re: Extra Magic Hours

The parks are pretty quiet during the late extra magic hours. Some attractions will have a small wait but I've never waited 30 mintues or an hour for an attraction. Soarin, well that's a different story at Epcot. Everything for me is usually 20 minutes or less, mostly walk ons. I see people getting off Splash Mountain and running to ride it again. I remember once during a rainy Extra Magic Hours at night that after I was done riding Splash Mountain the CM asked me if I wanted to ride it again and I said yes without having to exit and come back on the "right way".

Same goes with early magic hours.

Just remember to head to the arm band stations to get your extra magic hours arm band. The signs around the parks will tell you were they are at and if you don't see the signs ask a cast member. You'll be asked to present your resort room key to prove you are staying on property. They'll scan it and you get your wrist band.

They are a btch to get off so use something sharp to get them off at the end of the night. Morning hours you don't need the wrist bands, just at night.

Comment

• Mel-
      Park Lover
      • Mar 2009

They no longer use wrist bands. You just have to show your room key like you would a fast pass, to enter the line.

I went to every EMH when I was there 3 weeks ago and they were worth it. The early ones are a breeze, everything is a walk on. The evening ones a little more crowded, but they are 3 hours long.
      My Disneyland After Dark Flickr set!
      My Disneyland Flickr set!
      My Walt Disney World Flickr set!

Comment

• Boxalarm
        Engine Co 71
        • Jan 2009

Awesome! Sounds like a good deal, can't wait!

Comment

• NeverNeverland
          Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Is it one room card per person?
          Just wondering if both the hubby and I will have to have our room keys out
          Good morning, son
          In twenty years from now
          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
          And I can tell you 'bout today
          And how I picked you up and everything changed
          It was pain
          Sunny days and rain
          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• Mel-
            Park Lover
            • Mar 2009

Yeah, everyone has to show one as far as I saw. We were two adults and we both had to show them. I don't know if they let little kids just go in with parents since they probably don't have their own room key. It's not that bad, I just kept the key in my pocket out of my wallet since I knew I'd be taking it in and out all night.

Comment

• TDLFAN
              Banned User
              • Feb 2005

So if they do not use wristbands.. exactly how do the park CMs know who is there from the hotel and who from the daytime regular hours is crashing the park when only "on property victims" are supposed to be there????

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

thanks Mel.
                No biggie, just good to know in advance
                Good morning, son
                In twenty years from now
                Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                And I can tell you 'bout today
                And how I picked you up and everything changed
                It was pain
                Sunny days and rain
                I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• Mel-
                  Park Lover
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                  So if they do not use wristbands.. exactly how do the park CMs know who is there from the hotel and who from the daytime regular hours is crashing the park when only "on property victims" are supposed to be there????
                  You have to show your room key to ride anything. They don't check people walking around. So in theory, you could just stay and enjoy EMH in the evening, but you wouldn't be able to ride anything.

Comment

• BigPigletFan
                    I was deleted.
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                    Is it one room card per person?
                    Just wondering if both the hubby and I will have to have our room keys out
                    Yes, one per Guest. If Guests are staying at a non-Disney owned and operated Resort that still participates in Resort Extra Magic Hours (Swan & Dolphin, Shades of Green or Hilton located on Hotel Plaza Blvd) then you will need to stop at Guest Relations soon after EMH begins to obtain alternative admission for EMH attractions and shows.

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                    You would think this and many Resort Guests do too. It isn't as bad as you think because they will not be granted admission to any of the attractions or shows during EMH. Just like a normal park closing, Guests are able to linger and make their way out of the park, shopping and taking photos as they wish. Disney doesn't "kick" Guests out of the park on closings unless it's a "hard close," in which the re-direct Guests in another way.

Originally posted by Mel- View Post
                    You have to show your room key to ride anything. They don't check people walking around. So in theory, you could just stay and enjoy EMH in the evening, but you wouldn't be able to ride anything.
                    Yes, Extra Magic Hours are not freely posted for all Guests. The times guides that are available inside of the parks do not include them. While this may confuse some Resort Guests, it is also why they have their times guide from the Resort that include Extra Magic Hours information. Non-Disney Resort Guests would have to ask to find out why it appears things are still open and at that point they would quickly learn that the park is closed for them.

Comment

• disneyfann121
                      Banned User
                      • Mar 2008

My experience with EMH is that you pretty much breeze into every ride.

Comment

• Micoofy Duck
                        I'm Theme Park Happy!
                        • May 2006

Wow, no wrist bands anymore? You'd think crap loads of people would be losing their hotel "key to the world" cards showing it over and over, dropping it, misplacing it... I should know, a family member lost their card on our last trip to WDW, it had my credit card on there for charging and I had to call the resort to put a stop on it quickly.

Just be careful with your cards people, super glue it to your hand or something. I'm kidding of course. ;o)

Comment

• Barbaraann
                          Chicago Gal
                          • Apr 2005

I only went to one late night EMH. That was back in June of 2005, at Magic Kingdom. It definitely was not walk right on the rides. It was so crowded, that we didn't get to do much.

I prefer the one extra hour in the morning.

Although for my August vacation, I am going to go to Animal Kingdom for their late EMH. I have planned that day a little different than usual. I usually arrived at AK at opening, and stay for the parade. I usually then hop over to another park. However, I am not doing a parkhopper on this trip.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Boxalarm
                            Engine Co 71
                            • Jan 2009

That sounds like Disney trying to save a dime by not using the wrist bands anymore. You don't have to put a credit card on your key to the world card do you? Just in case it does get lost your bank info cant be used.

Comment

• Micoofy Duck
                              I'm Theme Park Happy!
                              • May 2006

Now that I think of it. I suspect you are asked to put a credit card on your account but it is not connected to the card. I'm thinking the resort gives you "credit" to spend the card on then at the end of your stay the resort charges your card the entire collected amount at the end of your trip.

I remember this now as my credit has gone up and up over the past few stays. I remember the last amount they told me I had on the "credit" card aka the key to the world and I was like... "don't worry there's no way I'm spending THAT much here on this trip!"

I believe your credit card info is NOT on the card but on your resort account and I believe they do need a card on your account for reasons they can tell you.

And on my last trip I was told that I didn't have to use my card as a charge card, to use just as a key to my room but I did need a card at the resort account for my stay there.

Comment

• Thorpeedo
                                Occasional Reader
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post

Yes, Extra Magic Hours are not freely posted for all Guests. The times guides that are available inside of the parks do not include them. While this may confuse some Resort Guests, it is also why they have their times guide from the Resort that include Extra Magic Hours information. Non-Disney Resort Guests would have to ask to find out why it appears things are still open and at that point they would quickly learn that the park is closed for them.
                                Tip .. get times from resort...thank you, wouldn't have known that otherwise.
                                Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

• Thorpeedo
                                  Occasional Reader
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
                                  Now that I think of it. I suspect you are asked to put a credit card on your account but it is not connected to the card. I'm thinking the resort gives you "credit" to spend the card on then at the end of your stay the resort charges your card the entire collected amount at the end of your trip.

I remember this now as my credit has gone up and up over the past few stays. I remember the last amount they told me I had on the "credit" card aka the key to the world and I was like... "don't worry there's no way I'm spending THAT much here on this trip!"

I believe your credit card info is NOT on the card but on your resort account and I believe they do need a card on your account for reasons they can tell you.

And on my last trip I was told that I didn't have to use my card as a charge card, to use just as a key to my room but I did need a card at the resort account for my stay there.
                                  It was 2003, but I recall being asked if we wanted charging privileges on the room key...answer was no, I don't think they took a swipe..but they might as a "just in case", for things like telephone etc.
                                  Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

• MarkTwain
                                    All-American
                                    • Feb 2009

Couple of things...

As was mentioned earlier, it's often only one park per day that is open for EMH. And that could be for either morning or night. So it's important to check early in your visit.

My experience with EMH is that even if attractions aren't walk-ons, the wait times are dramatically reduced... although they may vary. HM and Pirates are usually walk-ons, whereas Peter Pan can still muster a 20-minute wait.

And finally... beware that not all attractions are open for EMH. Attractions that require many Cast Members, like my favorite Jungle Cruise or the Backlot Studio Tour, as well as many shows, aren't. Many shops and restaurants aren't open either, which can sometimes give the parks a weird, "it feels like I'm here when I shouldn't be" kinda vibe.

Well, I hope that answers your questions!

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
                                      How do you do?
                                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Thorpeedo View Post
                                      Tip .. get times from resort...thank you, wouldn't have known that otherwise.
                                      The official Disney World website also lists what each EMH are at each parks, so you can plan ahead accordingly.

I remember never having much of a wait for EMH. I did prefer the E ride nights, the precusor to the night EMH though. $12 for 9 rides in the Magic Kingdom, with a 5000 limit to the amount of people in the park. It really was a great experience.

On the other side of the coin, I've also been to DHS during regular hours and been the only person on the Streets of America. It's timing more than anything else, for EMH and regular park hours.
                                      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• Disneytwins
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                                        The official Disney World website also lists what each EMH are at each parks, so you can plan ahead accordingly.

I remember never having much of a wait for EMH. I did prefer the E ride nights, the precusor to the night EMH though. $12 for 9 rides in the Magic Kingdom, with a 5000 limit to the amount of people in the park. It really was a great experience.

On the other side of the coin, I've also been to DHS during regular hours and been the only person on the Streets of America. It's timing more than anything else, for EMH and regular park hours.
                                        I agree. Fortunately, we were able to do that before it was discontinued. E ride nights were barely advertised, limited, and charged, which made most rides walk-on. EMH's are no way like E-Ride Nights. this past Sunday, the rides were 20-30 minute range, loads of teenagers (Whom can't respect anything or anyone) and drunk people.
                                        DisneyTwins
                                        Since May 2003

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X