• Jan 2005

Re: Animal Kingdom To Get Journey To the Center of the Earth

This rumor has no basis in fact

Comment

• almandot
      Shubisha
      • Apr 2005

I honestly doubt it'd be close to as good as Tokyo's given WDW's penny pinching nature.

Borrowing between parks has happened plenty in the past and is nothing new and only in the current age of the internet have people really started to notice how often it actually happens with entertainment and start to complain about it. But while true that cloning doesn't matter much to the everyday visitor, it's annoying how in this company of every department having to pay for itself how cheap WDW is allowed to be when it brings in the most income as a resort. Everything they do lately is take something that another park invested its budget in to develop, typically with entertainment, and usually gets watered down together. Everest was a big exception and they get plenty of kudos for that. Even now I think about the Star Tours dilemma we've been hearing stories about and how WDW being cheap led to it being delayed and almost cancelled.. And yet after it's finished being developed and the other parks have put their money where their mouth is to get it made, WDW will probably purchase it for its own star tours ride not having to bother with any of the prior financial commitment.

Comment

• RocknGuitar
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2009

I can honestly say this has a 99.9% chance of not happening. Even Everest had major cutbacks thanks to WDWs awesome management.

If it did happen, I'd bet it wouldn't be even similar to Tokyo's.

Sorry to be pessimistic here, but it's what one has come to expect from WDW.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
          Iron-Clad Allie
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by almandot View Post
          I honestly doubt it'd be close to as good as Tokyo's given WDW's penny pinching nature.

Borrowing between parks has happened plenty in the past and is nothing new and only in the current age of the internet have people really started to notice how often it actually happens with entertainment and start to complain about it. But while true that cloning doesn't matter much to the everyday visitor, it's annoying how in this company of every department having to pay for itself how cheap WDW is allowed to be when it brings in the most income as a resort. Everything they do lately is take something that another park invested its budget in to develop, typically with entertainment, and usually gets watered down together. Everest was a big exception and they get plenty of kudos for that. Even now I think about the Star Tours dilemma we've been hearing stories about and how WDW being cheap led to it being delayed and almost cancelled.. And yet after it's finished being developed and the other parks have put their money where their mouth is to get it made, WDW will probably purchase it for its own star tours ride not having to bother with any of the prior financial commitment.
          It would be a travesty if WDW receives the same quality ST ride as Tokyo and disneyland without having to share equally in the capital outlay for the development phase investment. One has to wonder what kind of deal WDW might be making with Oriental Land Company for Journey. Perhaps, the Walt Disney Company is handling the entire matter for WDW.
          To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

• Krankenstein
            MiceChatter
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
            This rumor has no basis in fact
            Yep, ain't happening right now. It's been looked at, but I've heard it has been tabled for awhile now.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
              Iron-Clad Allie
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Krankenstein View Post
              Yep, ain't happening right now. It's been looked at, but I've heard it has been tabled for awhile now.
              Well, at least you've heard about it. Remember, that Disney officially denies all projects with tight lips; until they are good and ready to make a greenlight announcement. Rumored news usually squeeks out accidentally from WDI or elsewhere in the company. Sometimes it proves true. Other times it does not. Beastly Kingdom has sat around stinking as an embarrassing promissed (but never constructed) land. the timing here is another element that adds creadence to the projection.

Comment

• Krankenstein
                MiceChatter
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                Well, at least you've heard about it. Remember, that Disney officially denies all projects with tight lips; until they are good and ready to make a greenlight announcement. Rumored news usually squeeks out accidentally from WDI or elsewhere in the company. Sometimes it proves true. Other times it does not. Beastly Kingdom has sat around stinking as an embarrassing promissed (but never constructed) land. the timing here is another element that adds creadence to the projection.
                Unless something has changed since a day or two ago, it isn't happening. The rumor has credence, that I'll give you, but right now FL and Star Tours 2.0 are what are on the table with the possibility of Monsters Inc. DAK isn't suppose to see anything new for a bit (even though I desperately want it to).

Of course, subject to change/the general blah blah blah.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                  Iron-Clad Allie
                  • Feb 2005

Unless something has changed since a day or two ago, it isn't happening. The rumor has credence, that I'll give you, but right now FL and Star Tours 2.0 are what are on the table with the possibility of Monsters Inc. DAK isn't suppose to see anything new for a bit (even though I desperately want it to).

Of course, subject to change/the general blah blah blah.
                  Hope a quality Star Tours 2.0 is underway. I was the first on the site to announce this rumor. You are entitled to your opinion regarding Journey. glad that you enjoy keeping abreast of theme park news and rumors. It is interesting and fun ... if not habit forming.

Comment

• Coastierox
                    Mostly Harmless.
                    • Apr 2005

WDW has always added attractions ...usually cheap ones lately ... but Everest, Soarin', and Mission: Space are recent additions that have envolved considerably investment. While your reluctance to believe is understandable, Disney's behavior is too unpredictable to call these rumors BS.
                    I'm not saying they don't add anything, but two rumored expansions in just a few days? Hey I'm all for it, but I'm having a hard time swallowing it. One theory is that these "leaked" rumors may be testing the waters for A future expansion...

And Soarin' was already completely developed when they threw it in. So I don't really see the cost there being too ghastly.
                    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
                    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
                    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                      Iron-Clad Allie
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coastierox View Post
                      I'm not saying they don't add anything, but two rumored expansions in just a few days? Hey I'm all for it, but I'm having a hard time swallowing it. One theory is that these "leaked" rumors may be testing the waters for A future expansion...

And Soarin' was already completely developed when they threw it in. So I don't really see the cost there being too ghastly.
                      Journey To the Center of the Earth is also completely developed ... therefore severely cutting costs. This is the whole point of the rumor ... a highly popular center-piece developed ride makes more sense to WDW management than a completely new ride.

Now this is not to say that the leak could be a "balloon test" in order for WDW to gage public interest ...with the intention of possibly waiting till much later to build the ride, subject to their impression of public interest. This is a valid perspective to consider that nobody can fully dismiss, Coastierox. I never said that this rumor is absolutely going to occur, now. I'm just saying that it cannot be discounted. The bottom line is that we can each choose to believe as we desire ... and neither of us can prove the orhers argument wrong.

Our common ground exists in that we are both hoping for the best possible attractions for WDW ... and this is awesome common ground to meet on indeed.
                      Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-19-2009, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• tasman
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jul 2006

^^ But this rumor has been around for a while now...a year or so I think. Why a new thread for it now?...has anyone significant at the other fan sites reported anything new?
                        Down with the Hat

Comment

• Krankenstein
                          MiceChatter
                          • Aug 2008

Hope a quality Star Tours 2.0 is underway. I was the first on the site to announce this rumor. You are entitled to your opinion regarding Journey. glad that you enjoy keeping abreast of theme park news and rumors. It is interesting and fun ... if not habit forming.
                          You are also entitled to believe whatever you want, but my info does not come from some rumor site.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                            Iron-Clad Allie
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tasman View Post
                            ^^ But this rumor has been around for a while now...a year or so I think. Why a new thread for it now?...has anyone significant at the other fan sites reported anything new?
                            Lance Hart of Screamscape has reported a significant resurgence of sources bubbling over with affirmations that we will see the attraction being built by 2011/2012.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                              Iron-Clad Allie
                              • Feb 2005

You are also entitled to believe whatever you want, but my info does not come from some rumor site.
                              If you're dealing with a formalized disney source, they are usually careful not to reveal any truths that may exist until the company is ready to make a formalized announcement. Again, I'm not saying you are absolutely wrong. You have no absolute foundation to say that I am wrong either.
                              Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-18-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• goofystitch
                                Diamond Edition
                                • Jun 2009

I use Screamscape as a good site for rumors, but unless you see the "confirmed" note next to anything, it is just a rumor and there is no real need to spread them much further. Beastly Kingdom is something that has become almost a legend in Disney park history because it's the land that never was, but was heavily hinted at. Most of those hints are still there. Since that time, WDI has come up with many other concepts for that area of DAK and I wouldn't be surprised if they completely drop the idea of Beastly Kingdom because so many fans have decided what they want it to be that they will no longer be free to be creative with it. They are the storytellers and we are the lucky ones who get to explore the lands they create. I'm sure whatever they come up with will be better than what is there currently, but the demolition of Camp Minnie Mickey is not in the near future.

That being said, I don't understand this mentality that every Disney park has to be 100% unique and different and must have exclusive rides. I live by Disney World and I wouldn't care if Expedition Everest was built in Tokyo and I didn't care when Tower of Terror was built at DCA. Not everybody gets to all of the parks and to the people who have been to multiple Disney resorts around the world, I'm sure they rode at least one if not all of the rides they had previously ridden at a different park.
                                I'm attempting to watch and review every Disney movie ever made in my blog called The Disney Films. You can also follow me on Twitter for news on upcoming Disney films.

Comment

• Ride Warrior
                                  Iron-Clad Allie
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by goofystitch View Post
                                  I use Screamscape as a good site for rumors, but unless you see the "confirmed" note next to anything, it is just a rumor and there is no real need to spread them much further. Beastly Kingdom is something that has become almost a legend in Disney park history because it's the land that never was, but was heavily hinted at. Most of those hints are still there. Since that time, WDI has come up with many other concepts for that area of DAK and I wouldn't be surprised if they completely drop the idea of Beastly Kingdom because so many fans have decided what they want it to be that they will no longer be free to be creative with it. They are the storytellers and we are the lucky ones who get to explore the lands they create. I'm sure whatever they come up with will be better than what is there currently, but the demolition of Camp Minnie Mickey is not in the near future.

That being said, I don't understand this mentality that every Disney park has to be 100% unique and different and must have exclusive rides. I live by Disney World and I wouldn't care if Expedition Everest was built in Tokyo and I didn't care when Tower of Terror was built at DCA. Not everybody gets to all of the parks and to the people who have been to multiple Disney resorts around the world, I'm sure they rode at least one if not all of the rides they had previously ridden at a different park.
                                  Trust me. By the time Lance usually lists a rumor as confirmed, the entire internet is announcing it at the same time if not before. What you are actually proposing is to stop discussing rumored possibilities all together. A lot of peo[le on this board credit me as being right about various new attractions far in advance of the official announcement. I contribute to MiceChat for a large part because it's fun putting puzzles together...and guestimating. If I desired to play it safe, I would spend all my time joining some of the others in talking about what fits and doesn't fit...and wait to find out about new attractions after the whole world knows. Not my style, thank you.

Regarding cloning -

I agree with you that there's nothing wrong with some of the best attractions being essentially the same. However, there is a balance. I prefer half or more of the attractions to be unique. There is no sense of pride (or element of fun) in feeling that one's favorite park is a complete clone of those further away.
                                  Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-18-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• tasman
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jul 2006

Three new E-ticket attractions in three parks at the same time seems a little much to realistically expect (not that I would mind). Little Mermaid for around 2012 seems pretty much a done deal (if they want to open it by the 40th in 2011 it would have to begin construction very soon, and hasn't so far). Monsters Inc coaster for around 2012 I think also quite likely as the rumoured sequel will probably be released about that time. But JTTCOTE also by 2012? I think that Disney would want to spread out the openings of such major E tickets, to keep guests coming back.
                                    Down with the Hat

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                      Yet nobody complains when each park has a Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Splash/Space/Big Thunder Mountain, Dumbo, Tea Cups, IASW, Star Tours, etc.

In fact, just the opposite. If you'll recall one of the biggest complaints about HKDL that it didn't have the "staple" rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

IMO, I'd be THRILLED if they brought this to DAK. It's not a clone from DL, but from 1/2 a world away at TDS. I'm sure most visitors to WDW know nothing about this ride from another park.
                                      I agree. But what does this ride have to do with animals?

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2005

It would be a travesty if WDW receives the same quality ST ride as Tokyo and disneyland without having to share equally in the capital outlay for the development phase investment. One has to wonder what kind of deal WDW might be making with Oriental Land Company for Journey. Perhaps, the Walt Disney Company is handling the entire matter for WDW.
                                        Im not sure you understand how these things work. My understanding is the parks contract with WDI for a new ride. The new ride belongs to WDI until it's installed and operational then they hand over "the keys" if you will and Team Disney or the OLC cuts a check to WDI, now the question is do they get a certain number of years exclusivity or can WDW and DLR share development costs if they debut two "clones" on both coasts fairly simultaneously, thereby saving money for addl attractions down the road?

Comment

• Kidgenie
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ICe101 View Post
                                          Even if they do have a volcano, it won't look good at all. I mean a volcano and Mt. Everest that close to each other, yeah right...
                                          Yeah... that would be like putting a American Southwestern Butte in the same park and thus close proximity to a Swiss Alpine Mountain Peak..... oh wait. nevermind

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X