This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Suspicious Package Under Disney Bus! - Merged Threads

The bomb squad has been called to a WDW bus maintainence facility. A bus under regular maintainence had a package strapped to the bottom.

LINK:Bomb Squad Checking Bus At Disney World - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

I WILL UPDATE THIS!
    WDW Vacationer-Vacationing November 21-22,2009!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Suspicious pkg on WDW bus

A suspicious device found on Walt Disney World Bus.

-------------
    Disney PR release:

From Disney's Director of Media Relations, Kim Prunty:
    In an abundance of caution, we have temporarily suspended all bus operations to check all buses in our fleet. We will put each bus back into service after it is passes inspection.
    The safety of our guests and Cast Members is our top priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our guests and will address their concerns on a case by case basis.
    We will continue to work closely with the Orange County Sheriff's Office and Reedy Creek Fire Department.

--------------------
    Sheriff's Office Release:
    SEPTEMBER 17, 2009 CONTACT: JIM SOLOMONS

SHERIFF'S OFFICE RESPONDS TO REPORT
    OF SUSPICIOUS DEVICE ON DISNEY BUS
    At approximately 3:00 PM today, September 17, 2209, the Orange County Sheriff's Office received notification of a suspicious object attached to the undercarriage of a Walt Disney World bus. The bus was undergoing routine maintenance at a back stage maintenance facility when the object was located by a Walt Disney World employee.
    Per agency procedure in calls such as this, members of the Orange County Sheriff's Office Hazardous Device Team responded to the maintenance facility to evaluate the device and determine how this incident will be handled.
    This ongoing incident is confined to a backstage maintenance area and has not affected the operation of any of the company's theme parks. Because of the nature of this incident Disney employees in close proximity to the bus and maintenance facility have been evacuated while the Sheriff's Office works to resolve the situation and conducts its investigation.
    We have no additional information to offer you regarding this incident at this time. We will, however, provide you with immediate updates as they become available.

Comment

re: Suspicious Package Under Disney Bus! - Merged Threads

Don't panic. I hope it's a false alarm.

Comment

re: Suspicious Package Under Disney Bus! - Merged Threads

Turned out to be nothing.
        WDW Vacationer-Vacationing November 21-22,2009!

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!

Comment

Re: Suspicious Package Under Disney Bus! - Merged Threads

Some idiot's idea of a funny hoax. Not funny; by forcing Disney to inspect all the buses, he inconvenienced lots of guests. A true moron.

Comment

From another Disney site
            ...was nothing more than an old tire pressure monitor. The monitor was a prototype that had been installed in 1998 on that one bus only. The prototype was being used to see if tire pressure could be measured wirelessly. A maintenance crew was unfamiliar with this monitor and called it in as being suspicious.
            Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM. Reason: link removed

Comment

As ridiculous as that sounds^ im really glad that is the case.
              "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by snorkeld View Post
                From another Disney site
                ...was nothing more than an old tire pressure monitor. The monitor was a prototype that had been installed in 1998 on that one bus only. The prototype was being used to see if tire pressure could be measured wirelessly. A maintenance crew was unfamiliar with this monitor and called it in as being suspicious.
                that is reaaaaaally funny... that caused all sorts of hectic for guests and cast members alike(the cast members waiting for the backstage shuttles to get to work on time or get home from work). they had to extend animal kingdoms park hours because the park was closed at 5 and hotel guests had nowhere to go without any busses. And yet even still, that's a really amusing circumstance :P
                Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM. Reason: link removed

Comment

I have learnt (working in IT) that you have to make sure everything is documented. Anytime anyone changes from a standard for whatever reason, they introduce a risk into the system. You have to be very tight with these and make sure that where teams introduce them, they are documented and rectified or knowledge passed on. In this case you should have removed the device when finished with it. I am not a gambler, but I would bet that in the ten years that have passed, a maintenance crew have spotted it, reported it, and been told to ignore it or not been given the time to deal with it properly.

What's really strange that a company that is so hot on procedures and training has been caught out again....Anyone remember giggling at the cause of the monorail issues in disneyland.....being built to the plans, which somebody never updated with the "on the fly" changes made when the originals were built.
                  Lessons learnt they call it :-)
                  Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

Interesting... I read that a bus driver said it was a transponder that is on some of the older buses so they can pen the automatic gates. I guess the guy who noticed it and the manager didn't know what it was.
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Even though the maintenance worker didn't know what it was, honestly, he did the right thing. Sure it inconvienced a lot of people, but if ONE bus had something different on it then the other buses that would seem odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorpeedo View Post
                        I have learnt (working in IT) that you have to make sure everything is documented. Anytime anyone changes from a standard for whatever reason, they introduce a risk into the system. You have to be very tight with these and make sure that where teams introduce them, they are documented and rectified or knowledge passed on. In this case you should have removed the device when finished with it. I am not a gambler, but I would bet that in the ten years that have passed, a maintenance crew have spotted it, reported it, and been told to ignore it or not been given the time to deal with it properly.

What's really strange that a company that is so hot on procedures and training has been caught out again....Anyone remember giggling at the cause of the monorail issues in disneyland.....being built to the plans, which somebody never updated with the "on the fly" changes made when the originals were built.
                        Lessons learnt they call it :-)

As a Tech myself it's not surprising how this happens...GM and Chrysler both like to do this put something out for 3 months or so of production then decide to change something on it...they then put out a TSB(tech service bulliten) just incase the Tech working on the same model has a certain issue with something with said device has...

Happens alot in the industry but I'm guessing that this may haven't been common enough of an occorance for them to put put a memo or anything on the subject but I'm very glad that it was nothing, even if it did inconvenience a few people I'm sure knowing what was the situation was or at least somewhat they'd be more than happy to wait while the fleet was checked out...
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                        -George S. Patton

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X