Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Wow was it hot & humid!!!!

Hi all! Well, we just got back - Nine wonderfull days in DisneyWorld.
    Was hot and humid every day, and, of course, rained during the weekend, and pop-up chance each day around 5pm.

This is our fifth trip in seven years to the Kingdoms. Have to admit, can see the changes the economy has done to the parks, food, and customer service. All in all, it is still the best. Some changes I've noticed:

- Not surprisingly, price of most things have gone up. Bottle of Coke out of the machines at the resorts are now up to $2.75 each. But........ you can go to the gift shop by the food courts, and buy a 2liter for $3.74, out the door. Figure that one out.

- Food has changed too. I think Disney is outsoursing a lot of their food now. We get breakfast at the food court, and noticed that the biscuts come pre-baked, and are very hard, not fresh at all. Portion size and contents have gone down too. Have been to Chip&Dale's Harvest Grill at Epcot now three times. Last two, it was great. This time, OK at best. Nothing was really hot, like it was just cooked, but rather warm, like it was sent in, and warmed. The fresh vegtables there used to be incredible - I could eat a bowl of the fresh sugar snap pea's myself..... now you get a couple snap peas, but mostly cooked squash. Not sure if I'll be going back to Harvest Grill.
    And it was like that at several places all around the parks.

- Quick review of resturants we visited:
    Tony's Town Sqaure/Magic Kingdom --- Food very good! Good service.
    Garden Grill/Epcot --- Fook OK at best, good service.
    Sci-Fi Dine-In/Hollywood Studios --- Not impressed. Steak drowning in wine sauce, cheap vegtables. Service OK, can be slow. Hard to see menu or food in "car".
    Crystal Palace/Magic Kingdom - Breakfast - Love this place. Been here several times. Food always good. Service good. One change: Every table used to get orange juice, with carafe of residual left at table. You have to ask for orange juice now. It's all included in the price, but used to get it automatically. Great service.
    Liberty Tree Tavern/Magic Kingdom - Dinner - Love this place. Been here several times too. Menu and food has not changed, just as good as it always has been, hot, fresh, and delicious. Only down side is no more character dining. More on that later. If you plan to go there, ask if server "Cheri" is working. Fantastic service, we wanted for nothing.
    Nine Dragons/Epcot - Dinner - Nice place - Got right in on a Saturday evening without reservations! Food fresh and fast. Good service!
    Teppan Edo/Epcot - Dinner - Very good!! Food cooked right in front of you, and "show" by chef. Reccomend this to anyone. We'll be going back next year. One note: It is very loud back in the table/cooking area - can be hard to hear the server and chef. Just FYI.
    Hoop-Dee-Doo/Fort Wilderness Campground - Dinner - Great show, very funny and greatly entertaining. Have to be honest, the food is ok at best. Salad, corn bread, and desert is best part. They could make this so much better. Again, believe food is prepared off site, and brought in.
    T-Rex/Downtown Disney - Dinner - Beautiful building, incredible inside, good service. Food was bad, just bad. Filet steak was tough, lot of fat on it, my salmon was ok, a little dry, cheap vegetables again, mashed potatoes with steak were dry. We really like Rainforest, and this is owend by the same people - Not sure is this is growing pains from a new resturant. Hope it is. Interestingly, the Yak&Yetti resturant are owned by same group - you can use your Disney Dining plan at the Yak&Yetti, but not at the T-Rex..........strange.

- Service issue. Believe it or not, we ran into a couple problem employees. Yep, I didn't think it could happen either. First was on the Magic Express bus ride from the airport to the resort. Bus driver decided to practice her "comedy" on us. And, with her heavy "spanglish" accent, it was very hard to understand. Could do without that.
    Second, and worse, was at Mouse Gear in Epcot. We had a question if they had a jacket in a different size. The lady salesperson we were dealing with was very nice, and told us that we could go over the the main registers, and they could up the UPC code, and find any and all sizes in the entire World, and where they were. Upon asking this to the "gentleman" behine the counter, he laughed at us, told us that she should not have told us that, and that only a manager can do that, and they were all in meeting right then, and he was not going to bother them.
    WHAT!?!?!!? I was amazed and ticked off........... I have never been treated like that at Disney before. We left there, and went over to Guest Relations. We explained what had happened, and when they asked us who the person was, we told them, and the response was "Yes, we know him. This is the third complaint about him today." It was 10am!!!
    They thanked us for letting them know, and were told they would look into it. Who knows.
    Other than that, all the employees were very kind, friendly, and outgoing to make sure we had a great visit.
    - If you want to see the characters returned to the Liberty Tree Tavern, I got a good contact. Write your letter to:
    Magic Kingdom Park
    Attn: Phil Holmes
    PO Box 10000
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

So we're glad to be back home, but look foreward to planning next year!!!
    Too long - shorten up
    7.69%
    Just right - good information
    69.23%
    Too short - go into more information
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

Re: Wow was it hot & humid!!!!

Just the right amount of information! Sorry about the bad cast members though.
    "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." -Winnie the Pooh

Comment

[QUOTE=proradvlx;1055565699]

Second, and worse, was at Mouse Gear in Epcot. We had a question if they had a jacket in a different size. The lady salesperson we were dealing with was very nice, and told us that we could go over the the main registers, and they could up the UPC code, and find any and all sizes in the entire World, and where they were. Upon asking this to the "gentleman" behine the counter, he laughed at us, told us that she should not have told us that, and that only a manager can do that, and they were all in meeting right then, and he was not going to bother them.
      WHAT!?!?!!? I was amazed and ticked off........... I have never been treated like that at Disney before. We left there, and went over to Guest Relations. We explained what had happened, and when they asked us who the person was, we told them, and the response was "Yes, we know him. This is the third complaint about him today." It was 10am!!!
      They thanked us for letting them know, and were told they would look into it. [QUOTE]

Wow! Were you ever able to find your jacket?
      They can infact look items up. World of Disney looked for a Donald hoodie for me and found it in MouseGears. They put it on hold and we ran back to EPCOT to get it.
      With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by proradvlx View Post

- Not surprisingly, price of most things have gone up. Bottle of Coke out of the machines at the resorts are now up to $2.75 each. But........ you can go to the gift shop by the food courts, and buy a 2liter for $3.74, out the door. Figure that one out.
        Ohhh thanks for the tip!

Comment

FantasticDuck - To anser your question, yes and no. We ended up getting the UPC code off the jacket, and taking it to the World of Disney shop in DowntownDisney. They were very helpfull, and looked up for us. We were looking for a Medium, but were told all they had, anywhere, were Large to 2XL's.
          But, interesting note: They told us that you can get the UPC code of any item down there, and, later when you want to, can call the 407-WDISNEY number, tell them what you want, and that you have the UPC code, and they can get to an appropriate person, where you can order it through them, and they can check on any size. So if you see something you want, and either don't see your size, or maybe want to order it later (ie birthday/christmas gift), this is a great way to do this.

Comment

I know how it feels to be treated rudely at WDW...on our last visit in 2007, my Dad was treated very rudely as we entered DAK. The cast member rudely commented on a t-shirt that he was wearing, which oddly enough was bought at WDW the day before! It's a shame that Disney employees are allowed to act that way towards their customers.

Comment

Princess Misty - Sorry to hear about the way you and your family were treated at Animal Kingdom. There's no excuse for that. Period.

Something has happened at DisneyWorld. I don't know if anyone else is seeing it at any of the other locations around the world, but I have noticed a change at DisneyWorld over the past two to three years. I do understand that, due to the economy, there have been cutbacks in staffing, and the remaining staff are having to cover areas they may have never had to before. And, considering most of the workers we see as visitors are only making minimum wage, or just above, I can see why they are getting testy. But, this is Disney, and customer service is the primary goal. Everything else falls in line behind that. With the competetion from Universal, and other parks, now, more than ever, Disney can not afford to fall behind on customer service.

Comment

Good report! I went at the beginning of September and hot and humid sums it up!

Originally posted by proradvlx View Post
                A note on this: Pop Century did not sell 2L of pop or 541mL of pop in their food court or gift shop. I was mighty annoyed with this because we didn't buy a refillable mug but couldn't use our snack credits for bottles of pop either. I saw it as forcing guests to buy the refillable mug or else spend an exorbitant amount of money at the vending machines. When we visited some friends at All Star Sports, they did sell all sizes of bottled pop. I'm not sure why Pop was any different :c???:

Comment

I also had a bad experience with a castmember last year Sept 08. It was my boyfriends first time at DisneyWorld. I took him on the vacation. I really talked up Disney's customer service, telling him he would not believe how perfect it was.
                  That all changed when we went to ride Space Mountain. An extremely rude castmember named Alicia would not let us ride in the same car. She kept pointing us to two different cars. She would not listen, giggled with her friend while looking at us and finally said "If youre going to be a big baby, you dont have to ride it"
                  We didnt ride and left. I called for the manager who said he would look into it.
                  That was not good enough. I went to guest relations. After much waiting and complaining, they finally gave me a days passes for the parks. This girl ruined my experience of Magic Kingdom and I was not going to let her or Disney get away with it. Guest relations said that they had a new agency that was doing the hiring. Maybe they were outsourcing.
                  It was the first bad experience I've had with Disney.
                  http://twitter.com/wdwprince

http://youtube.com/wdwprince

Comment

proradvlx, I enjoyed your trip report, but I could have used more information on the other elements of your trip. Also, you could use a few more line spaces to make things easier to read.

It's too bad that it only takes one bad apple to ruin at least a portion of your visit. Here's hoping your bad CM was either admonished or replaced!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X