X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PatMN
    replied
    Re: Port orleans help!

Riverside is one of our favorite resorts. We love the atmosphere on the Magnolia side. We also thought Boatwrights was a great place to eat.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

Originally posted by daniellbarnes View Post
    My children (9 & 11 at the time) were confused by the trails and got lost when they wandered off alone.
    He He ...That reminded me of the time when we had a wheelchair user due to offload. We were in Magnolia Terrace and therefore normally used the east depot. Because of the offload time for the wheelchair, we tried to take a flyer and get off at the WEST depot bus stop and follow the path that was perpendicular to the outer road, until we hit the pool....only there wasn't one....we thought it would be quicker, but the winding paths and darkness,led us astray, we eventually used the "head towards the moon" technique, to avoid going round in circles and eventually hit the main pool. My nephews were thinking I was in need of therapy, but we got there.

Leave a comment:

• daniellbarnes
    replied

The one item that may have been overlooked was the walking distance from your room to the pool, food court, lobby, gift shop. The last time that I stayed at Riverside we were at the back of Alligator Bayou. There was a bus stop just around the corner, but the large pool was about a five minute walk and the food court, lobby and gift shop were about a ten minute walk. My children (9 & 11 at the time) were confused by the trails and got lost when they wandered off alone. The bugs were terrible in the fall since this resort has so much water and vegetation. My wife would never go back, but I loved the relaxed atmosphere, peace and quiet. My suggestion is to keep the kids close, locate a close bus stop, possibly take bug spray, and minimize the amount of trips to the pool, food court, etc. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

I agree there's no reason why they need to be the same. I don't think it's less of an issue with the all stars, they've always been the all stars. I think some of the added confusion comes from the renaming of the resorts.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Thorpeedo, I actually have the same problem with the All Star Resorts. It would have been completely easy for them all to be named something unique, while keeping their identity as value resorts. But Disney in its overwhelming need to have cute marketing tie-ins whether they're needed or not, made a confusing mess of the values. It's not really a huge thing for me - just needless confusion for no real benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    But they were just fine as two separate hotels before. And while they could have been combined in bookkeepingland only, and money could have thus been saved, it wouldn't have cost them anything to name them as separate entities. They each have their own front lobby and check-in, so for my money they're still separate resorts. To name them similarly is just needlessly confusing.
    I give you the All Stars..each with seperate checkins...
    that said i'm just being argumentative...there is no reason you couldn't call riverside something else and still share ameneties. I think it would encourage people to check out the next door resort more, as it's somewhere else, not just part of this resort.

Leave a comment:

• tinkerb
    replied

When staying at Port Orleans RIverside, don't miss the piano show in the lounge starring Bob Jackson. My family loves it. We have even made the trip over to see the show when ataying at other resorts! It makes for a fun night cap........

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Thorpeedo View Post
    MAybet the fact they are adjacent....
    But they were just fine as two separate hotels before. And while they could have been combined in bookkeepingland only, and money could have thus been saved, it wouldn't have cost them anything to name them as separate entities. They each have their own front lobby and check-in, so for my money they're still separate resorts. To name them similarly is just needlessly confusing.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    I still think that it was one of the dumber moves for Disney to combine these two resorts into one. It's needlessly confusing to call them both Port Orleans Resorts. I can understand why they wanted to get away from the Dixie Landings name (even though I think it's a bit silly that some people are offended by the word Dixie). But there were thousands of other names they could have picked, and absolutely no reason to make anyone think that these were two areas of the same resort. Dumb.
    I don't like that they did it, but the reason they did was cost cutting (of course). By doing it, they were able to close one restaurant and the marina/bike rental; I guess just those little changes (and probably the management as well) were the justification.

I still think Dixie Landings and Port Orleans though.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

MAybet the fact they are adjacent....

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

I still think that it was one of the dumber moves for Disney to combine these two resorts into one. It's needlessly confusing to call them both Port Orleans Resorts. I can understand why they wanted to get away from the Dixie Landings name (even though I think it's a bit silly that some people are offended by the word Dixie). But there were thousands of other names they could have picked, and absolutely no reason to make anyone think that these were two areas of the same resort. Dumb.

Leave a comment:

• tukogirl
    replied

Regarding bus service...

We just got back from a week at Riverside. There seem to be no set pattern as to which bus stop was picked up first or even last. Also, several times The bus went to Riverside and then went to French Quarter and vice versa. I wouldn't plan anything around trying to be near a certain bus location for quick service - it really depended on the day and driver as to which order the pickups/drops were done.

Leave a comment:

• yoyoflamingo
    replied

Originally posted by minidibs View Post
    Thankyou all!

Ive booked and im going to Port orleans riverside (Y)

Only 10 months ;D :L

Congrats! Honestly, all the moderates are wonderful. While there, I would suggest heading to the French Quarter to look around, and judge if you would stay there in the future....Same advice I would give if you were staying at French Quarter regarding Riverside.

Leave a comment:

• minidibs
    replied

Thankyou all!

Ive booked and im going to Port orleans riverside (Y)

Only 10 months ;D :L

Leave a comment:

• MadameGracey73
    replied

I love the Alligator Bayou section of Riverside but the entire Port Orleans Resort is really great. I would choose Riverside or French Quarter based on your need for amenities - do you prefer to have a sit down restaurant in your hotel in addition to the food court? Do you want a large pool or a smaller side pool? In all reality, the hotels are so similar, you could also just pull up pictures of the hotels and choose which one you like visually the best

Leave a comment:

• ecdlanddude
    replied

I'm not a fan of French Quarter. Something about the theming just doesn't do it for me.

OTOH I love Riverside and maintain that it's the best bang for your buck on property.

To each their own though, either way you're at WDW!

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

I loved the French Quarter. Everything is really close, and it's so peaceful and relaxing. Riverside is a lot more spread out.

But it does have a better pool area and a bigger gift shop.

Leave a comment:

• corey154
    replied

French quarter is a smaller resort, for me it's more of a relaxed atmosphere and also first stop for the boats when coming back from down town disney. Even if you're staying at french quarter you can easily get to riverside and eat or even swim.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

I've only done Riverside, we picked this over other moderates based on the look of the theming. I wouldn't be influenced by the number of bus stops. Each bus stops at them all anyway. Do you want to be first pickup, and then know you've got stops before you get to a park? Otherwise you could be last pickup and go direct to the park, but potentially have to stand up. You are also consequently first or last drop off at night accordingly.
    Resort choice will depend upon the 3 key distances and the theming. We chose theming first, and then looked at the maps and made a room request to try and get the 3 key distances reasonable. It's always a matter of what you personally consider acceptable as a walk to any facilities. We were in the north side of building 85 and were acceptably close enough to all 3 facilities (bus, pool and food court.)
    Talking to other families gave us the impression that where people had tried both resorts, they prefered riverside (though that would tend towards a self selecting audience as those prefering french, would have been at french, unless this was their first riverside visit.)

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

I've stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter. I liked the theming better at Riverside (I stayed in the Alligator Bayou section), but I liked the smaller feel of French Quarter (also helped my building was right by the bus stop).

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X