X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Halloweentime at WDW

Hey folks!

I'm going to be visiting WDW for the first time a week from now as well as a first time visit to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! I've been keeping up on all the awesome image and video threads in the Disneyland forum, however, I don't see anything here! This brings me to question whether WDW decorates for the season the same way and whether HM gets a makeover just like DLR's version?

Are there any Halloween exclusives at WDW? The WDW forum seems so quiet...
    DLR/DCA: x10: 2019,2015,2014,2007,2008,2009,2010,2012,2003,1999
    WDW: 1x 2009
    Tall Ship Sailor: ​Lady Washington 2011

Re: Halloweentime at WDW

Things are quiet simply because they do not offer much for halloween at WDW. The festivities at the MK are minimal. There is nothing halloween for regular day guests to do. The Not so Scary party has lost it's edge for regular and local guests because they keep doing the same stuff year after year, while the price of admission to it keeps going up and up. It has becomes overpriced and simply.. not worth it. Only frst timers to this party may enjoy it. So check it out.

As for Dl and the MK decorating similarly.. actually, it may be because it's cheaper to mass produce those orange banners, but for what I have seen so far..DL seems to be doing a much better job decorating than the MK. I live 12 mins away from WDW and am dying to go to CA and do DL's halloweentime instead. Things at WDW are that bland! BTW.. the "halloweentime" name only applies to DL, not WDW. It is not used at the MK anywhere as far as I know.
    Finally.. my biggest petpeeve.. the Haunted Mansion. Many (especially high profile Micechatters) believe that the MK's Mansion is currently the best due to the refurbishing it went through last year. That may be the case, but I think it is unexcusable of WDW's management to not bother or budget the Nightmare overlay at WDW. Therefore.. do not expect to see that here in Orlando. I guess management at WDW feels that the guests are not missing much. Of course, those of us who have seen the overlay at TDL and DL's Mansions would know better... but for the average WDW's guests? Nope. Ignorance about Disney matters and DL parks' going ons.. is bliss.

STILL... you will find plenty of thinsg to do at WDW that are unique and enjoyable to FL. After all, that is all WDW has got to offer: the blessing of size. Not necesarily a good thing.. but at least it offers variety, with city buses to shuttle you back and forth from all of that magic to be discovered.

Oh and speaking of TokyoDL... you may want to check out those photos and videos posted in the Tokyo section.. and in the last Weekend Update here on Micechat (found under "blogs" up above).

Comment

Hmm well that sucks, hopefully it will be an enjoyable party at least.

Comment

Remember, it is up to you to make it fun. My advise is to go in with very low expectations, and you will enjoy it immensely.

Comment

I'd give anything for Haunted Mansion Holiday at WDW. I'm a HUGE Nightmare Before Christmas fan. I'm 90 minutes from WDW and I too am dying to go to Disneyland and check out their Halloween offerings. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy looks awesome, as does the new fireworks show from the videos I've seen. And I'm not a big Halloween fan!

Comment

Here's my trip report from a few weeks ago. If the idea of dressing up in an outlandish costume and storming the Magic Kingdom sounds fun to you, than it's worth it. The parades is excellent, and the fireworks are very good. I don't disagree that there could be a bit more variety, and maybe a nicer show or too (I enjoy the Villains Mix and Mingle for how surreal and cheesy it is, not for how genuinely good it is).

While I'd love to see Haunted Mansion Holiday someday, I'm glad to be able to visit the Haunted Mansion for a Halloween event and NOT hear a lot of singing and talking about Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
              I'd give anything for Haunted Mansion Holiday at WDW. I'm a HUGE Nightmare Before Christmas fan. I'm 90 minutes from WDW and I too am dying to go to Disneyland and check out their Halloween offerings. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy looks awesome, as does the new fireworks show from the videos I've seen. And I'm not a big Halloween fan!
              Hi Aimster. I am with you on this one. You know TDL's Haunted Mansion is similar to WDW's in every respect but with some show differences, but when I ride "Nightmare" at TDL, I *always* wonder why it can not be done at WDW. Besides budgets and lack of a drive to exceed expectations, I just can not think of a valid reason for the refusal.
              In regards to Space Mountain's Ghost Galaxy, it is a fun overlay and I saw it at HKDL 3 years ago when it premiered. Not sure if DL's version has plussed that experience, but it was nonetheless FUN to see a classic ride offer a special show for a change. Not really an overlay that merits a special trip across the USA (like Nightmare would justify) but at least it shows that CA's management does care to exceed their guests' expectations, which is something WDW does not do as much anymore for me.

Comment

I really want to check out TDL's Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare overlay sometime. They plus on even Disneyland's version by adding in an extra Jack AA plus Sally!

Comment

...and don't forget, TDL keeps their Nightmare overlay for Xmas, plus they also add Xmas version of IASW and the Country Bear Xmas show.. on top of the Xmas entertainment. Reason why.. those expensive parties at the MK underwhelm so very much.

Comment

Well, DL keeps their Nightmare overlay for Christmas too and adds their own Small World Holiday, but I get ya.

I'll never forget the first year they stopped doing Country Bear Xmas show at WDW. I wrote a long email complaining and I got a call back from someone trying to get me to come for the holidays anyway, trying to play up the Xmas party. I said (and I quote), "You take away my favorite Christmas show and then expect me to pay out the nose for your overpriced, underwhelming party? How stupid do you think I am? BRING. BACK. THE. CHRISTMAS. BEARS!" and hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                      Well, DL keeps their Nightmare overlay for Christmas too and adds their own Small World Holiday, but I get ya.
                      Sadly, you are in the very small minority. I think you have been around to understand when Disney is overcharging you for their product, and as you can clearly see.. The entertainment does not match the price. Take a look at the other DL park's halloween festivities and compare what they do, versus price they charge, and how much they do for regular day guests are regular admission prices..

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                        Hi Aimster. I am with you on this one. You know TDL's Haunted Mansion is similar to WDW's in every respect but with some show differences, but when I ride "Nightmare" at TDL, I *always* wonder why it can not be done at WDW. Besides budgets and lack of a drive to exceed expectations, I just can not think of a valid reason for the refusal.
                        In regards to Space Mountain's Ghost Galaxy, it is a fun overlay and I saw it at HKDL 3 years ago when it premiered. Not sure if DL's version has plussed that experience, but it was nonetheless FUN to see a classic ride offer a special show for a change. Not really an overlay that merits a special trip across the USA (like Nightmare would justify) but at least it shows that CA's management does care to exceed their guests' expectations, which is something WDW does not do as much anymore for me.
                        You will never see overlays at WDW and for good reason. DLR does them because their bread and butter is local guests and cater to them by changing things up. WDW gets worldwide visitors as well as folks from every state on a regular basis and for many it is a once in a lifetime trip. To have overlays would keep these visitors from having 'seminal' Disney experiences. I visit at least annually and would love the overlays, but it ain't gonna happen. They know where their dollars are, as does DLR.
                        I visited DLR last October and loved the NBC overlay. IASW was still closed so we missed that. But MIckey's Trick or Treat party absolutely sucked in comparison to MNSSHP. We tried 3 candy lines and 2 ran out before we got up there. And this was early. This was aimed staraight at kids and as adults, there was little or nothing for us. And Halloweentime was alright, but not worth the hoopla. It was a great trip, but other than NBC(especially meeting the delicious Sally), Halloween had little to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy'sno1fan View Post
                          You will never see overlays at WDW and for good reason. DLR does them because their bread and butter is local guests and cater to them by changing things up. WDW gets worldwide visitors as well as folks from every state on a regular basis and for many it is a once in a lifetime trip.
                          This has been established and debated here many times before so you are not telling us anything we already knew. However, I will debate that Disney's position on overlays at WDW is just an excuse to save money at all cost and not provide incentive for locals to go more often. Tourists will always pay no matter how little disney gives back in return.. But remind yourself of this: many people who are NOT locals plan their visits to WDW in late sept and october just because of the overpriced Halloween parties. So let's not make excuses for Disney's lack of trying harder please. Parents do not take children out of school just to save money and find uncrowded parks.. No siree.
                          To have overlays would keep these visitors from having 'seminal' Disney experiences. I visit at least annually and would love the overlays, but it ain't gonna happen. They know where their dollars are, as does DLR.
                          Yes, their dollars at WDW are in top management's pockets. They certainly do not pay the lower staff their due, much less invest it back into the park so they can stay fresh and current with technology and show quality.
                          I visited DLR last October and loved the NBC overlay. IASW was still closed so we missed that. But MIckey's Trick or Treat party absolutely sucked in comparison to MNSSHP. We tried 3 candy lines and 2 ran out before we got up there. And this was early. This was aimed staraight at kids and as adults, there was little or nothing for us. And Halloweentime was alright, but not worth the hoopla. It was a great trip, but other than NBC(especially meeting the delicious Sally), Halloween had little to do with it.
                          Again, you are proof of what I am saying.. these parties are overly priced rip offs. KUDOS to TDR and HKDLR for offering Halloween festivities to their guests at regular prices.

Comment

Thanks for your input TDLFAN, however, I feel you are getting a tad too defensive in your posts and this could become a huge argument....your opinion has most definitely been clearly made.

I think that if all the parks did all the same stuff they wouldn't make nearly as much money off their "special perks", I'm sure WDW thinks that having so many different unique parks is more than enough for them.

I'll just visit DLR next October or maybe another year to experience that version. If all parks had the same stuff I'd never want to visit any but the one nearest me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8K8 View Post
                              Thanks for your input TDLFAN, however, I feel you are getting a tad too defensive in your posts and this could become a huge argument....your opinion has most definitely been clearly made.

I think that if all the parks did all the same stuff they wouldn't make nearly as much money off their "special perks", I'm sure WDW thinks that having so many different unique parks is more than enough for them.

I'll just visit DLR next October or maybe another year to experience that version. If all parks had the same stuff I'd never want to visit any but the one nearest me.

You know, TDLFAN can be very passionate about his view points. It may come from seeing that there is much better out there then what the US parks offer. Can it seem over bearing. At times yes. And I understand your piont about the differences between the parks. What would be the point of flying across the country to see DL's HM overlay, Hallowishes Fireworks (remamed Halloween Screams) and Ghost Galax if MK did all that as well.

But I dare to guess that was not TDLFAN's point and your missing what it is. I would suggest to you that your right, the MK SHOULD offer something completely different then its West Coast older sister, but instead is charges for doing far less then what DL does at no additional cost. If MNSSHP included more exclusive events, it might be worth it.

Why not a "ghost tales" Theme River boat ride or Jungle Cruise. A Halloween "scream"-a-long Train ride on board the WDWRR. Do a treat or treat theme overlay to winnie the poohs ride, making it Pooh's Halloween Adventures. Put the AA characters in costumes, add in a few extra heffalumps and woozles and modify the recording and tada!

They do offer a fireworks show and a parade, but those are the only two stand out features. So in essence, on top of regular park addmission your paying big bucks to view the fireworks, see the parade, and get candy. At Disney's other parks your enjoying their "Differences" at no additional cost those "differences" if not having a higher overhead cost and actual expense related to them, they are certainly more overty tangeble experiences.

When MNSSHP first starting, it was like $18.00 or so extra. You know, for that just to get an evening in the park with lower crowds was worth it. But to pay close three times that.... ouch.

Comment

I guess I've just become used to the fact that things are WAY more expensive these days and just keep increasing and aren't going to change. We all want Disney to be $30 or less and gas to be $1.50 a gallon but it's in the past. Ain't no fun in fussin over somethin like that.

I would also venture a guess that WDW costs scads more to run than DLR/DCA and international parks so DLR/DCA can afford to add the extra special thoughts and touches.

Anyway, I paid my $52 and I'll be going on the 6th, I honestly can't wait. All the kids and adults in costumes, getting to be a "big kid" for a night and trick-or-treat, seeing the parade and fireworks, going on rides with less crowds, it'll be awesome!

Comment

I guess I've just become used to the fact that things are WAY more expensive these days and just keep increasing and aren't going to change. We all want Disney to be $30 or less and gas to be $1.50 a gallon but it's in the past. Ain't no fun in fussin over somethin like that.

I would also venture a guess that WDW costs scads more to run than DLR/DCA and international parks so DLR/DCA can afford to add the extra special thoughts and touches.

Anyway, I paid my $52 and I'll be going on the 6th, I honestly can't wait. All the kids and adults in costumes, getting to be a "big kid" for a night and trick-or-treat, seeing the parade and fireworks, going on rides with less crowds, it'll be awesome!
                                  Good spirit! Go and have fun with. I have done it before. out of curiosity, way would WDW cost scads more to run? No saying otherwise, but then again, I am not sure why it would. Park per park anyway. Total resort vs. Total resort, well clearly yes because of the size and scope, but MK vs. DL. Honestly I would think DL would be more expensive. Higher labor costs and more attractions. I would imagine TDS is the mother of all expensive parks to operate.

Comment

I meant the total resort, WDW in full vs DLR, I can see why the smaller of the two would get more attention to detail.

Comment

Is it bad that I'm actually quite glad that WDW does not produce the 'Nightmare before christmas' overly at Haunted mansion? I am a season pass holder for Disneyland, and as much as I like 'Nightmare before christmas', the overlay has become quite old and irritating to me, but I will give an explanation. I would quite enjoy the overlay if it only happened throughout the christmas period. However, Disneyland closes Haunted Mansion in September to produce the overlay, and it continues until January when they then close the ride. Thats approximately 5-6 months a year without the classic. I would much prefer the original during halloween, but then again thats just my opinion.
                                      On the bright side a may be visiting WDW for the first time next weekend :]. I'm very excited :]

Comment

I meant the total resort, WDW in full vs DLR, I can see why the smaller of the two would get more attention to detail.
                                        No truer statement was ever made. I have always argued that WDW's biggest set back is it's size.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X