• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graphicphotobug
    New MiceChatter
    • Sep 2009

[Question] where is the best place...

in disney world, to start?
    my family and i are going in october for the first time and i don't want to be overwhelmed.... thanks!
    monica
  • Figment Fan
    Life Long Disney Fan
    • Sep 2009

Re: where is the best place...

Personally, I would say Animal Kingdom. It is not as full of stuff as the other parks, but it still has plenty to keep you entertained. Be aware though that it closes earlier than the other parks. Also, if you don't have tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, then you have to be out of the Magic Kingdom by 7PM on the days that they have the party (unless you want to buy a separate ticket for each of you to attend, which I do recommend if you have the extra cash).

If you are doing water parks, mix those in between the parks, as they are a great way to relax in between the days you will be on your feet.

Also, don't forget Downtown Disney. It has some great shops.

Lastly, are you going to Sea World or Universal? If so, maybe you would want to start with Universal Studios. I find it doesn't take a whole day to do (meaning it isn't overwhelming). Islands of Adventure may take longer if you like more intense rides and water rides. I think there is a lot to do at Islands of Adventure, so I wouldn't make it your first day if you plan to go there. Sea World would be better in the middle of your vacation too, as there isn't a lot in the way of rides, mostly shows and exhibits. If you do go to either of Universal's parks, I would advise against the Express Pass, as it can be quite expensive, and in the middle of March Break we got by just fine without it. And, one more thing, Universal Studios is having their Halloween Nights or whatever it is called. I'm not sure if it is every night, or only select nights, but you should find that out before going to the park (again, if you plan to go to Universal). I imagine their Halloween event would be very good, if you don't scare easily. If you are easily frightened, or have young children then I wouldn't go (if they are even old enough to get into that event).

I hope this helps you out some.

P.S. If you have the time and money, check out La Nouba, the Cirque Du Soleil (Spelling?) at Downtown Disney, as it is an amazing show.

Comment

• TDLFAN
      Banned User
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by graphicphotobug View Post
      in disney world, to start?
      my family and i are going in october for the first time and i don't want to be overwhelmed.... thanks!
      monica
      It's kind of hard not to be overwhelmed with WDW. However, if you are familiar with DL in CA, maybe visiting the MK first would make it somehow easier to deal with since both parks are familiar in design and offerings. Starting off at a park you do not know well would not be the best way to start off a vacation at WDW... that is, if you get overwhelmed easily.

Comment

• GraceysGirl
        Happy Haunt
        • Aug 2009

Personally I think the best way to avoid being overwhelmed is to have a firm plan in advance. The parks will have less people in them on the days that they don't have extra magic hours.

If this is everyone's first time I would do Magic Kingdom first. It is usually crowded but so are all parks just relax and have fun with it. Magic Kingdom is the classic park and it's still my favorite after all these years. I like to figure out what rides I really want to do and anything else I do is just extra. Make sure to use the fastpass system. It makes your day so much easier!

How old are your children? How old they are will really effect what park your family will enjoy the most.

Comment

• Thorpeedo
          Occasional Reader
          • Oct 2007

you've started in the best place.... the internet.
          research is the best place to start.
          Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

• graphicphotobug
            New MiceChatter
            • Sep 2009

wow, thanks, guys~~
            all advice is great!!
            ok, how do i get a fast pass?

Comment

• Figment Fan
              Life Long Disney Fan
              • Sep 2009

The are located, and marked, at the ride for which the fast pass is isssued. For example, Splash Mountain has a standby line, a fastpass line, and the fast pass machine should be right near the fast pass line. Either way, you'll see it or a cast member can direct you to the machine. However, you can only have one fast pass per ticket at any given time.

Comment

• Imagineer Scott
                Pongo is my hero.
                • Sep 2009

Epcot could be WAY too foreign for you (lol, literally ). It might overwhelm you. I'd do that in the middle of the week or towards the end. Make sure you get a FP for Soarin and get into Test Track early before the 60+ waits takeover (or switcharound). Not many other rides have long waits. Make sure you don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to see the World Showcase.

Animal Kingdom is also probably foreign. I'd do this in the middle. You don't need to rush to get a FP for anything, although it helps for EE. You'll probably love that ride and want to go on i more than once (as do most). It never has long lines though do to capacity. Although the hours are short, thee is a LOT to see. Shows to plan for that are must sees (Nemo, Lion King). Safari also has a FP, but the lines in the early morning are short and in the early afternoon it's practically a walk on. You will be overwhelemed too with the walking. It is the largest Disney park, and you will be going all over if you want to do all of the worthwhile attractions (imo). It also tends to get very, very hot. KAli River Rapids gets you soaked, it also has a fp and sometimes that is necesary.There's a certain reason why DAK is my favorite park, and why I want to inform you about it. It's very different from the rest of the parks, and it often gets a bad rep. I hope you enjoy it as much as I, and a select few, do!

DHS is my choice for first. Make sure you get a Toy Story Mania FP bright and early. Tourists love Toy Story... enough to give it a steady 90 minute line. RnRC doesn't usually have a long line, but it can get there when raining. I've never braved ToT, but I know all the times I've seen wait times it has been around 30 minutes. Also, if you are a Disneylander, you should be familiar with Muppets, ToT, Star Tours, TSMM, Fantasmic, ect. And finally, this park is usually always open until 8 pm or later. More than enough time to do the entire park and maybe catch Fantasmic (it isn't as good as DL's and it's very, very crowded)

MK would be last. It's very familiar to Disneyland. I don't see much to elaborate on except make sure you get a FP for Peter Pan if you don't want a 60 minute wait, or Splash Mountain. Wishes is a must see, and is probably the best finale for a trip that you can get.

Sorry, I went a bit overboard, but I hope it still helps! I hope you have fun!

one hundred and one

Comment

• Thorpeedo
                  Occasional Reader
                  • Oct 2007

you can be overwhelmed by the options and the planning. I heartily recommend you look into a few "planning" options. I think October is fairly light for crowds, so therefore the requirement will be less. But definately look for the headliner acts and plan to hit them early before the crowds build or with a fastpass. Toy Story midway mania is currently the largest draw there is, get a fastpass and come back, don't queue. (although the queue is supposed to be good.). There are some very good resources regarding planning. Allears.net, touringplans.com, wdwtoday podcast, and this board are the places I've used. I recommend a few episodes of the wdwtoday podcast as the guys on there are knowledgable, you get several slightly different viewpoints, and they have a good banter, providing light entertainment as well as education and information.

Comment

• seabreezeNHS
                    New MiceChatter
                    • Oct 2009

After being to Disney World so many times, even now as a teenager I have a WDW vacation already mapped out for next time. It can seem like an overwhelming place at first, so start small. The first night there, my family and I go to Downtown Disney to eat then shop for the night. Usually after that, we get into the parks. Im not sure how long you plan on staying, so time can be a factor. If its for a long period of time, spend the next day getting a feel for the place..check out the Boardwalk, hang out at the hotel or that plus a half day at a park (preferably Magic Kingdom) to get into the Disney spirit. After that...get to the parks! Get to each one at least once, since each has something different to offer. The order doesn't matter. And if you have the time, get to either water park (depending on the weather down there cause October Florida weather is sometimes unpredictable, or at least from what I've heard). Im sure you'll have fun, cause it really is the happiest place on earth. Enjoy your vacation, cause you'll only want to get back soon enough!

And as an ADDED TIP: If you have (or had) trouble getting restaurant reservations whether at the parks or downtown disney...the best way to get into the popular restaurants is to go for LUNCH. Its the same and far less crowds, and for most you don't need a reservation.

Comment

• Imagineer Scott
                      Pongo is my hero.
                      • Sep 2009

I live in Florida. The weather in October is hot, hot, hot. Occasionally below 70 in the wee morning hours, but not a problem for water parks. I'd really check them out if I were you! Plus, a lot of people don't plan for a water park in October because they assume cold. Wrong! You'll have the park to yourself!

one hundred and one

Comment

• JoseyDisney
                        Counting down til WDW
                        • May 2007

I would suggest that you should go to MK first. Yes I know it has a lot to do - but who says you have to do it all! I always go here on my first full day, try and get there to catch the opening at around 8.50am. Take your time and don't rush - theres no need - you will enjoy everything better if you relax and take it all in! Definately MK as its the signature park, who doesn't want to start there trip with a visit to Cinderella's castle??! Also everything is simply laid out so its a great way to not get lost, just work your way through each land individually (try going anti clockwise around the park - as the majority of people go clockwise!).Enjoy yourself and have fun - these are the most important things - NOT squeezing everything in, tiring yourself out, and missing out on the unique atmospheres in each park!

Comment

• Mr. Bungle
                          Shopping With You
                          • Feb 2008

I agree that MK is the place to start. Also I usually go around the lands clockwise starting with Adventureland or counter-clockwise starting with Tomorrowland.

Comment

• seabreezeNHS
                            New MiceChatter
                            • Oct 2009

Now i want to go to Florida..in October (i was in Ft. Lauderdale in December a couple years ago and it was 86 degrees!)....and the water parks are Disney's added bonuses and worth checking out

Comment

• Thorpeedo
                              Occasional Reader
                              • Oct 2007

I did hear thast it's still warm enough to do wayter parks, but that people ssociate October with cold, and don't schedule them...you should have the palce to yourself( and a few close friends!)

Comment

• tinkerb
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Oct 2009

Congratulations on your upcoming Disney World trip. I agree with the thread here, planning is the best way to be prepared. Know what you want to see. Remeber it is a vacation....rest sometime. We try to relax pool side, enjoying the resort pool and recharging for the evening.
                                Read, plan and read some more to be ready!!!

As for where to start on a first trip......there is nothing like the magic you will feel as you walk down Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. It is an amazing feeling.

Have a magical trip!!!!!!
                                Kim
                                author, "Sharing the Magic"
                                Columnist, www.wdwdailynews.com
                                We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!

Comment

• graphicphotobug
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • Sep 2009

thank you so much for all comments!!!
                                  we leave in one week!!
                                  i have to say, i feel like a kid - ready to go!!!
                                  monica

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                                    Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

I hope you post a trip report when you come back
                                    Have a great trip!!!
                                    Good morning, son
                                    In twenty years from now
                                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                    It was pain
                                    Sunny days and rain
                                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X