Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Unique about the Magic Kingdom when it opened compared to Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] What was Unique about the Magic Kingdom when it opened compared to Disneyland?

I know Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, Mickey Mouse Revvue and in a way, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were all orignals but of the attractions that came from Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom in 1971, how did they differ in uniqueness?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Re: What was Unique about the Magic Kingdom when it opened compared to Disneyland?

Bigger castle.

Comment

Re: What was Unique about the Magic Kingdom when it opened compared to Disneyland?

yupyup bigger castle, different location, lots of more land

Comment

Am I correct that there was also no Pirates of the Caribbean on opening day? Or was it added late before opening?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
          Am I correct that there was also no Pirates of the Caribbean on opening day? Or was it added late before opening?
          As the oft repeated story goes, there were no Pirates in Florida on opening day because it was believed Pirates weren't interesting enough for Florida. Which is why they were supposed to get the Western River Expedition instead. Pirates came along when guests kept constantly asking for the ride.
          "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

Thanks, I remembered the "not interesting enough" thing, but I couldn't remember when it was added. Too bad they had to cut the ride down.

Comment

According to the stories I've heard, it wasn't pirates "weren't interesting enough", it was Imagineers felt Florida was too close to the actual Caribbean and guests might not feel comfortable being so close to where the "real pirate action" once took place. But they found out they were dead wrong when people kept asking "Where's the prate ride?" So they scrambled to shoehorn it into the park and scrapped most of Thunder Mesa & Western River Expedition.

Comment

See, I thought it was a combination of the two: "Not interesting to Florida because the Caribbean is nearby" or something like that.

Comment

Yeah that's kind of it.

Comment

Im talking about Snow White, Peter Pan, Jungle, didnt alot of those types of attractions have different scenes then the one in Disneyland
                    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Comment

That's a really odd argument, I suspect that's just the official cover for "we ran out of money."

Otherwise, the differences are pretty meh:

Full-sized trains
                      Matterhorn-sized castle
                      Longer monorail
                      Smaller TL (go figure! Almost no DL has had a full TL at opening. HK might be the sole exception)
                      Nicer hotels

Also, your list of originals forgets If You Could Fly/If You Had Wings (had wings, had wings.)

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
                        That's a really odd argument, I suspect that's just the official cover for "we ran out of money."

Otherwise, the differences are pretty meh:

Full-sized trains
                        Matterhorn-sized castle
                        Longer monorail
                        Smaller TL (go figure! Almost no DL has had a full TL at opening. HK might be the sole exception)
                        Nicer hotels

Also, your list of originals forgets If You Could Fly/If You Had Wings (had wings, had wings.)
                        well If You Could Fly was added in 1972, about eight months after the park opened.
                        __________________________________________________________

Comment

Full-sized trains
                          Only the C.K. Holliday and E.P. Ripley were built specifically for Disneyland. The other three locomotives were all built before Disneyland ever opened and full scale for their intended purposes. The four Magic Kingdom locomotives are larger, but the Walt Disney World Railroad operates on the same three foot narrow gauge as the the Disneyland Railroad.

Comment

didn't it open with haunted mansion? if so, it had a different version of HM with different facade... diff. Tiki Room--- Tropical Serenade. Longer Jungle Cruise. Bigger main street, dueling Mr. Toads.

Comment

Originally posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
                              Im talking about Snow White, Peter Pan, Jungle, didnt alot of those types of attractions have different scenes then the one in Disneyland
                              Yes, most of the similar attractions (all of the ones you named) were built with differences for the two parks. Sometimes, because they learned from experience, and sometimes because they wanted to do something different. A lot of these attractions have become even more different with refurbishments at one park and not the other. And until very recently, even since-added attractions are built with differences (Splash Mountain, BTMRR).

Comment

WDW's Haunted Mansion has some scenes that the DL version doesn't, such as the portrait hallway, library, music room, and staircase hall.

Comment

That's what happened. According to "Pirates of the Caribbean From The Magic Kingdoms to the Movies" to build Pirates they would have had to scrap 5 other attractions with the overall budget. Since they didn't want to mess up capacity that badly they didn't build it and intended to build WRE later. Guests whined and now we have an abbreviated* Pirates instead.

*Not done with bad intentions just various trims intended to improve the overall experience and fit within the land but ended up taking alot away from the experience. Some stuff intended to be Floridian exclusives were cut form the budget.
                                  I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Jungle Cruise's biggest differences are the ride through the temple added for WDW and DL's Trader Sam replaced by Chief Namee.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X