Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Price to park has gone up again.

I can kind of (not really) understand why ticket prices go up year after year.
    But I don't get why it costs $14 to park your car at Disney now.
    For the first 32 years that the Magic Kingdom was open it was only $7 or less to park your car. In the last six years that price has doubled! Why??

Re: Price to park has gone up again.

Originally posted by jane2073 View Post
    I can kind of (not really) understand why ticket prices go up year after year.
    But I don't get why it costs $14 to park your car at Disney now.
    For the first 32 years that the Magic Kingdom was open it was only $7 or less to park your car. In the last six years that price has doubled! Why??

Well, if Six Flags can do it, why can't Disney?

( Which in itself conveys what's wrong with the practice )

Kevin Yee's 'Declining by Degrees"...

Comment

econ 101 - The parking lot is full.
      Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
      Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
        econ 101 - The parking lot is full.
        But it's not full.

It's just another revenue stream for Disney, and the reality is the company is good at pulling various strings to get the overall bottom line where they want it. Be it stroller rentals, or parking... they all feed the mothership. And the mothership needs revenue and adjusting pricing here 'under the radar' to help get where it needs to be.

It's no different then airlines charging for all checked bags. It's not because the hold was full, it's because it's another revenue stream without further messing with the pricing that is most visible to customers and what they compete on (ticket prices)
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I'm a stock holder...beam me up mother ship!

Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

For $14, I expect my car to be washed, waxed & detailed by the time I leave the park.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
              For $14, I expect my car to be washed, waxed & detailed by the time I leave the park.
              D23 members get that!

Comment

$14??? Good grief!

Just another reason to stay at the on property hotels.

In fact, me and hubby were discussing this...how long will it be before Disney's penny pinching catches up and starts charging hotel guests half price for parking?

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Its absolutely ridiculous and just pure greed. I understand ticket prices, but raising parking just because they can is wrong. I'm not crazy about paying to park anywhere where I'm already paying a lot of money to visit your location, I'm ok with 5 to maybe 8 dollars or so. Anything else is just ripping me off because I have no other option.

Comment

The parking lot is especially not full.. in fact it's so not full and the various parking lots are so expansive that it's pretty ridiculous. It boggles me that they offer the free bus service to people staying at hotels saying it's a special disney touch included with your price of staying at our hotel but somehow the price of admission isn't enough to include the disney touch of leaving the car that brought you to the place you're spending that money on admission in a lot that's by no means limited capacity.

Not to give ideas but I'm very very surprised they haven't added like a $5/day/person surcharge to hotels to allow bus usage during your stay. Probably because they don't want to spend the money to install the infrastructure to check people getting on the busses if they paid.

Comment

It is a bit pricey, but everything goes up in value eventually, esp a place like Disney. Ever since they offered those payment plans the parks have been overly crowded.

Comment

Did the parking price go up at Disneyland as well?
                          "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Disneyland has raised its parking prices consistently over the years.. You could argue space is more limited there, and that's true... But should that really make prices go up? The whole point of having parking spaces is so people can drive to your park and pay you for admission. And then you have downtown disney where people don't have any admission at all but parking is free, even for an extended period so long as you buy something from one of the stores/restaurants. Paying $10-20 for a meal at a restaurant gets you free parking but $80 for a park ticket doesn't? To me, parking ought to be free for all theme park guests, and if you don't have your tickets to show ahead of time when you park the price you paid for parking deducted from your admission price :P

Comment

I am surprised there has not arisen any sort of black market for forged Annual Passes or hotel parking slips to be used just to skip paying the parking fee. Just borrowing a real Annual Pass would get one through the toll booth.

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
                              It is a bit pricey, but everything goes up in value eventually, esp a place like Disney. Ever since they offered those payment plans the parks have been overly crowded.
                              There is no payment plan option offered by Walt Disney World.

Comment

Comment

Its absolutely ridiculous and just pure greed. I understand ticket prices, but raising parking just because they can is wrong. I'm not crazy about paying to park anywhere where I'm already paying a lot of money to visit your location, I'm ok with 5 to maybe 8 dollars or so. Anything else is just ripping me off because I have no other option.
                                  I totally agree! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                    Exactly - and is why WHERE they chose to increase prices is very specific.. to help steer the customer into the choices Disney wants.

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                                    Not to give ideas but I'm very very surprised they haven't added like a $5/day/person surcharge to hotels to allow bus usage during your stay. Probably because they don't want to spend the money to install the infrastructure to check people getting on the busses if they paid.
                                    Avoiding a fuel surcharge last year was quite amazing. But we know Disney wants you in the hotels.. so they need to avoid tagging prices onto hotels which makes them look poor in a comparison to offsite hotels. So free parking, free transport, free airport transport, etc etc etc.
                                    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
                                      What Flynn said. WDW isn't local based so we don't get the benefits that the locals do at DL.

Comment

Parking prices go up for a number of reasons. It's not just your car sitting there in a large concrete covered field while you frolic magically in the park. There are costs involved with the trams that take you from yor car to the main entrance or TTC. There are costs involved in keeping the lot clean, there are costs involved with having security there to help you start your car when it won't start or you locked your keys in the car. Not to mention the costs of the guards that are now there to help prevent your car from being stolen. There are also insurance costs because some drivers think it's fun to try and run over the castmembers trying to guide you to a parking spot.

I don't agree with the parking costs, but it is what it is.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X