This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Its a Small World Holiday

So here's the situation, Disneyland and its sister park Tokyo Disneyland have been doing the popular holiday overlay to Its A Small World for a number of years. Disneyland Paris has also in the past done a similar overlay, and I'm happy to annouce its coming back to the park this year. Hong Kong Disneyland has also just annouced its adding its very own Holiday makeover too for the first time. Yet the version at the Magic Kingdom continues to ignore this Holiday tradition. And I have say I think its a poor show that the flagship Resort does not have its own version. This is yet another example of prices going up but quality going down. And its reason's like the above that I will no longer be visiting the Orlando Resort until Management change the way the Resort is operated.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: Its a Small World Holiday

didn't Orlando axe the Christmas overlay for the country bears? I don't think they'll ever be interested in doing such overlays.

It's dissapointing really. I suppose I can accept them not doing their Haunted Mansion because of how nice it looks and how much work would be invovled in the takedown and setup. But I don't think the Smallworld overlay constitutes nearly as much work. It could also relieve the stress off a few of the lower capacity Fantasyland rides durring the busier Holiday times.

I don't think any amount of complaining will really bring it to Orlando though, and until the new Fantasyland Expansion goes through at least I don't think the MK will have either the capacity or the money to tollerate the short closures n33ded for a holiday overlay.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
      I don't think any amount of complaining will really bring it to Orlando though, and until the new Fantasyland Expansion goes through at least I don't think the MK will have either the capacity or the money to tollerate the short closures n33ded for a holiday overlay.
      You see I don't view this as a good enough reason because Fantasyland at WDW is much larger than the existing smaller Fantasyland at Hong Kong. Yet HKDL with its lower capacity is still doing the Holiday overlay and like the Magic Kingdom is about to have some rather big expansion too.

The actual Fantasyland expansion is another example of poor Management decisions. I was at the Expo when Jay Rasulo annouced the project to a huge response from the audience until he mention the princess part and the response just dropped straight away. The project looks nice with some good theming but the only worthwhile additions out of the whole expansion unless your a 10 year old girl is the Beauty and the Beast Restaurant, Little Mermaid dark ride and the new interactive Dumbo queue. WDW caters to more than one target audience and shame on them for ignoring this, and I personally have much higher hopes for the Harry Potter expansion over at Islands of Adventure. At least that area appeals more to a wider range audience, than to just 6 to 12 year old girls.
      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

It's a Small World Holiday is great and I'd love to see it come to WDW.

But it is also nice that you can see the regular attraction year-round at one of the parks.

EDIT: I noticed that response at D23 as well. I was still pretty excited because of what buildings are coming.

Comment

I wish that WDW would do the overlays. I'm going to Disneyland for the first time in December and I'm excited for a few rides we don't have (like reliving Mr. Toad's Wild Ride) but overall the reason why we are going and picked that time is for the overlays. In case my name doesn't show it I'm a Haunted Mansion fan and all I want for Christmas is the Haunted Mansion Holiday (and Haunted Mansion Life)! If WDW did the overlays I'd skip Disneyland and do a cheaper and longer vacation at WDW.

Comment

After you visit DL I think you'll never want to skip it! I've been there twice, but to WDW many more times.

Comment

I want to go to DL just to go of course but this year cheaper would be better.

Comment

For the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay what all do they change? I know for the Country Bears they changed the songs, costumes, etc. but never been to DL during any of the overlays, so I'm pretty interested in the idea...

And the last time I saw the Country Bears overlay was in Dec 99 however I try to avoid the holidays, too hard to get a flight for cheap, and I hate the crowds at that point in the year...
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                  For the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay what all do they change? I know for the Country Bears they changed the songs, costumes, etc. but never been to DL during any of the overlays, so I'm pretty interested in the idea...

And the last time I saw the Country Bears overlay was in Dec 99 however I try to avoid the holidays, too hard to get a flight for cheap, and I hate the crowds at that point in the year...
                  Basically for HMH, the entire soundtrack and narration are changed...all the rooms are completely decorated, including the stretch rooms and the graveyard (which is covered with snow). Even the caretaker and his dog are switched with Jack and Zero.
                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                    Basically for HMH, the entire soundtrack and narration are changed...all the rooms are completely decorated, including the stretch rooms and the graveyard (which is covered with snow). Even the caretaker and his dog are switched with Jack and Zero.

That's pretty cool I may have to head down there and check it out, sounds cool enough for a trip...now to just get some days off in the holidays lol
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                      That's pretty cool I may have to head down there and check it out, sounds cool enough for a trip...now to just get some days off in the holidays lol
                      I do like it, although I miss the real mansion too. I do like Small World a LOT though.

When I had the dinner with an Imagineer at the Brown Derby, this question did come up, and he said that it would not happen, because they did not want to close the ride for so long for set up and take down of the holiday overlay (he said this regarding HMH, not small world, but same idea.) I don't know if this will always be the case, but that is the current feeling.

Comment

I do like it, although I miss the real mansion too. I do like Small World a LOT though.

When I had the dinner with an Imagineer at the Brown Derby, this question did come up, and he said that it would not happen, because they did not want to close the ride for so long for set up and take down of the holiday overlay (he said this regarding HMH, not small world, but same idea.) I don't know if this will always be the case, but that is the current feeling.
                        I'd like to know who made that decision, because they are a dolt. Do they not understand that more people would come just to see HMH at WDW? And not just Disney fans. There are a lot of Tim Burton fans out there, and something tells me that the crowds that would come in afterwords would more then compensate for the down time. The same goes for IASW. A lot of people would love to see something new.

Comment

Originally posted by BANANAZ View Post
                          I'd like to know who made that decision, because they are a dolt. Do they not understand that more people would come just to see HMH at WDW? And not just Disney fans. There are a lot of Tim Burton fans out there, and something tells me that the crowds that would come in afterwords would more then compensate for the down time. The same goes for IASW. A lot of people would love to see something new.
                          I agree that the holiday festivities are what bring people in and they can't think about the small window of time installing the overlays. However, these are also the same people who have to have an attraction practically falling apart before they close it for refurb instead of routine maintenance.

Comment

I agree that the holiday festivities are what bring people in and they can't think about the small window of time installing the overlays. However, these are also the same people who have to have an attraction practically falling apart before they close it for refurb instead of routine maintenance.
                            That pretty much proves my point that they are dolts and that we should do a coupand drive those money loving executives from their overpriced office chairs! :lol:

Comment

I think the execs are concerned much more with the fact that Disney World is much more of a destination vacation thatn a trip to Disneyland. So if it's a family's only trip to Disney ever, they want to see the original Haunted Mansion and Small World intact.

That being said, I think an overlay of Small World is not as intrusive as the one to Haunted Mansion and therefore they could do it without too much guest chagrin. In the same manner, the Haunted Mansion overlay seems so vastly different than the original that some guests, particularly those who haven't seen Nightmare Before Christmas, won't like it.

I think it might be best to find a middle ground between not decorating at all and doing a full holiday overhaul.
                              someday, when we are wiser,
                              when the world's older,
                              when we have learned

http://nicoleloveswalt.tumblr.com/

"It's kind of fun to do the i m p o s s i b l e ."
                              - Walt Disney

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X