X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there any land left?

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post

Do not forget that Disney also sold off Celebration.

Which I think is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of! (No offense to anyone who lives there).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
      One thing I wonder about Dubailand is how sustainable the project is... and I don't mean ecologically. WDW started with just one park - and added more and more as the decades passed and its attendance grew on the existing parks.

Dubailand, on the other hand, is building this huge, massive multi-park resort twice as large as WDW (but without any of the natural preservation inside it), really for no other reason then because they can, but they don't truly know whether there will be the numbers to fill it all. Where will all the guests come from - there aren't enough wealthy sheiks in all of the Middle East to fill a resort that huge, and it's a little far to expect people to come in droves from Europe. And how will they staff it all???

Plus, it sounds like the nature of the project is at a questionable status.

But Disney has sold much of that land - the northeastern and northwestern corners of the property, Disney has sold to Four Seasons and the military, respectively, and the rest of the resort is pretty much either already developed or "preserved". Only a few small developable patches of land remain (there's a map posted earlier in this thread) and none of the patches look large enough to fit a theme park in.
      The difference between Orlando and Dubai, is Dubai is already a resort destination, which has been catering to the wealthy for many years; whereas Orlando was not when Disney started building. Sure, Disney has more than solidified their presence in Florida, but Dubai has a strong presence in its location, with a rapidly growing clientele.

Comment

A relatively new trend at WDW is re-developing areas. The Saratoga Springs Resort is a classic case. In the late 70's a hundred or so acres were built out as villas, golf course and club. Then the area was enhamced with additional buildings near the golf club and conference center for the Disney Institute. Lastly all the villas, vacation homes and treehouses were bulldozed for the Saratoga Resort.

Pleasure Island is in the middle of a re-purpose or re-theme of sorts mostly theme-less, but down the road I hear them bulldozers warming up.

Areas that are not as well used or haven't aged well will probably get the renewal treatment. After seeing what Disney is willing to do to get DCA up to speed, any existing weak park is fare game. While a new theme park might not be built, a rebuild or major expansion of an existing park is possible.

Comment

WDW already spreads out new attractions to all of the parks and leaves MANY places to add more. I don't see why they wouldn't continue on with this same business plan. While DL/DCA is compact and crammed with attractions, WDW has focused on spreading out the crowds. Yes it makes some parks sparse, like AK, but you stay longer because of it.

Forget Dubai. The geopolitics involved in that region are not a recipe for success. a few Billionaires and millions of immigrant poor building the dream. Who is supposed to go to the parks? Dubai is a case of I'll believe it when I see it. Dubai is not sustainable without reliance on rich, foreign tourists.

WDW offers an experience of quality that people know and will return to again and again. For me, Dubai might as well be on Mars.
          "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by mushufan View Post
            WDW already spreads out new attractions to all of the parks and leaves MANY places to add more. I don't see why they wouldn't continue on with this same business plan. While DL/DCA is compact and crammed with attractions, WDW has focused on spreading out the crowds. Yes it makes some parks sparse, like AK, but you stay longer because of it.

Forget Dubai. The geopolitics involved in that region are not a recipe for success. a few Billionaires and millions of immigrant poor building the dream. Who is supposed to go to the parks? Dubai is a case of I'll believe it when I see it. Dubai is not sustainable without reliance on rich, foreign tourists.

WDW offers an experience of quality that people know and will return to again and again. For me, Dubai might as well be on Mars.
            Amen!!!

Oh love Mushu, too. For years we had a talking Mushu "somewhere" in the back of our SUV. Every so often we would hit a bump and we would hear "I am Mushu the great and powerful!" That would break up the kids and bring back memories.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X