This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Space Mountain Rehab Track Refurb On The Fast Track Horizon

Sounds pretty positive then! I appreciate the fact that Disney is keeping each SM ride different and unique, but I also think a smoother track would be beneficial
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessIzzie View Post
      Sounds pretty positive then! I appreciate the fact that Disney is keeping each SM ride different and unique, but I also think a smoother track would be beneficial
      Absolutely! Theelement of a smooth track should be universal amoung all Disney park SMs.
      To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
        Absolutely! Theelement of a smooth track should be universal amoung all Disney park SMs.
        The way it jostles you around and feels like it might break at any second, is the main reason I love SM so much! It felt like an old wooden coaster.

I guess smoother is....o--k...
        - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

:ap:

Comment

Okie dokie... well, then in that case, I am telling you that the rockets are new. Yes, they still have the same chassis, and a few of the parts are the same, but they are most definitely new rockets. The biggest visual difference you'll notice are the entirely new seats, and if you were underneath, the wheel base. As far as on-ride effects, most projections are now digital, as are the sound effects, and the tunnels have upgraded lighting. But the tunnels are still the same.
          ummm, that's not the definition of new, that's the definition of rehabbed. Yes there are new wheels which help it be a bit smoother, but the rockets should constantly be getting new wheels as they wear out. Also they're not a new seat design, just new covers that can easily be replaced if they get damaged. And they've been repainted and had the glow in the dark strip replaced. That's not a new car. If it was I could just reupholster my car and buy new tires and proclaim that its new.

Originally the plans were to get completely new cars, also the plans originally had lots of new track (if not all new track) and on board audio with major changes to the re-entry tunnel. Those things were all scrapped which definitely saved a ton of money and allowed the downtime to be cut in half. There are those who think that's a good thing that it got back up much quicker, there are others who think that if you're going to do a job you do it right the first time.

The good news is that the queue and the postshow are very nice. The other good news (if the rumors are correct) is that some of the changes that were scrapped could still be placed on (such as onboard audio since the track supports were enhanced) if a sponsor comes on board willing to pay for it. Lets hope a sponsor shows up when the economy improves.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
            ummm, that's not the definition of new, that's the definition of rehabbed. Yes there are new wheels which help it be a bit smoother, but the rockets should constantly be getting new wheels as they wear out. Also they're not a new seat design, just new covers that can easily be replaced if they get damaged. And they've been repainted and had the glow in the dark strip replaced. That's not a new car. If it was I could just reupholster my car and buy new tires and proclaim that its new.
            My thoughts exactly. The trains were never new. Just spruced up a bit. That's all.

Originally the plans were to get completely new cars, also the plans originally had lots of new track (if not all new track) and on board audio with major changes to the re-entry tunnel. Those things were all scrapped which definitely saved a ton of money and allowed the downtime to be cut in half. There are those who think that's a good thing that it got back up much quicker, there are others who think that if you're going to do a job you do it right the first time.
            Personally, as a CM who works at Space and knows that attraction inside and out, I'm glad they scrapped the on-board audio. That would have caused more problems than good. Charging the vehicles at load and unload so the audio works. Pulling vehicles off if audio isn't working which would shorten the amount of trains on track and decrease our efficiency. No thanks!

The good news is that the queue and the postshow are very nice. The other good news (if the rumors are correct) is that some of the changes that were scrapped could still be placed on (such as onboard audio since the track supports were enhanced) if a sponsor comes on board willing to pay for it. Lets hope a sponsor shows up when the economy improves.
            I honestly don't see that happening. It would be a huge undertaking to just put in the audio.

Comment

Well it would all depend on the sponsor. If it is true that the tracks were upgraded to be able to support the added weight then it wouldn't be a ridiculous assumption to make. If the sponsor came in and said we want audio and here's the check to do it, I guarantee you they'd make it happen. Now if all the track had to be torn down and rebuilt, then probably not.

We've seen with Siemens that if a sponsor wants something and they're willing to write the check to make it happen that they can get what they want within reason.

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                The PeopleMover (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) passes by the lift hill.
                Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                Cool! That makes for quite a dynamic interfacing.
                It's always passed under the lift hill. That's nothing new.

Oh and I know Bill. He knows what he's talking about. I'd believe him.

Comment

ummm, that's not the definition of new, that's the definition of rehabbed.
                  I am going to agree with you on that one. All those things mentioned are things that are supposed to happen during the rolling rehabs.

And if the masters of spin never bring up "NEW NEW NEW" Space Mountain rehab illustrates differing approaches of Disney World, Disneyland | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
                  then that tells you even they don't consider them new. And if they don't try to play something up...that says something.

Comment

Its also a bit sad that they proclaim all this new advanced lighting when for the most part it just seems to be that they finally fixed a lot of lighting that hadn't worked in a long time. I will admit that the shuttle area with the astronauts looks better than its ever looked. But again, that's all minor. The only major changes that anybody will really notice were in the queue and the post show. I think they did a fairly good job in those areas. I wish they'd done the same to the ride itself.

Comment

Well it would all depend on the sponsor. If it is true that the tracks were upgraded to be able to support the added weight then it wouldn't be a ridiculous assumption to make. If the sponsor came in and said we want audio and here's the check to do it, I guarantee you they'd make it happen. Now if all the track had to be torn down and rebuilt, then probably not.
                      From everything I've heard, they "upgraded" the track so it wouldn't collapse. Nothing more, nothing less (well, possibly less.) It still isn't nearly capable of supporting the heavier vehicles that would come with on-board audio. That would require a completely new track.

Comment

We've seen with Siemens that if a sponsor wants something and they're willing to write the check to make it happen that they can get what they want within reason.

money was never the issue. it was time and future projects that got in the way of the on-board audio.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
                          I am going to agree with you on that one. All those things mentioned are things that are supposed to happen during the rolling rehabs.

And if the masters of spin never bring up "NEW NEW NEW" Space Mountain rehab illustrates differing approaches of Disney World, Disneyland | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com
                          then that tells you even they don't consider them new. And if they don't try to play something up...that says something.
                          Interesting.. and sad. Even the powers that be now agree with me..."we suck at what we do".

Comment

Money is always an issue with TDO. Certainly the amount of time the ride would have had to have been down came into play here, but money is one of the big reasons as well.

Comment

I think we mean the same thing, but our definitions of "new" are quite different. However, by your definition of new, the seats actually are new. The entire old seats were ripped out. The new seats are manufactured just for Space Mountain in Florida, and are made out of the new lighter material that was used for the new Small World boats. It feels like riding in a Fisher-Price rocket! (And yes, the actual new seats have new padding and covers as well.) The seating is module and can be removed and replaced easily. The new seats are also a tad lighter than the old ones, so weight won't me much of an issue when the time comes if they want to add seats with audio.
                              -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior
                                Regarding the subject at hand, the language that was on the WDW official site secveral days ago was indicative enough to warrent a confirmation. Now, that it has been removed, an on-board or external soundtrack has become more of a rumor. Due to WDW's track record of late, most rumors about any positive change will be soundly thrashed by cynics. The numbers of those favorable or critical of a rumor is not an indicator of it's validity.

I base my contention that Space Mountain may be plussed with an audio soundtrack during the refurb because 7-months is plenty of time to do so, there is a critical need for it, and the WDW site's previous language served as confirmation enough...but even though removed, still supports a strong possibility. I do not base my notions on the popular opinion of this blog site or others.
                                http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...nfirmed-5.html

Ready to eat that humble pie yet Ride Warrior??
                                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by Bug View Post
                                  Personally, as a CM who works at Space and knows that attraction inside and out, I'm glad they scrapped the on-board audio. That would have caused more problems than good. Charging the vehicles at load and unload so the audio works. Pulling vehicles off if audio isn't working which would shorten the amount of trains on track and decrease our efficiency. No thanks!
                                  Really now? Ever worked at Space Mt. in California? They don't seem to have any efficiency problem with their audio on their trains. Last time I checked, we care more about show than efficiency... though because you work in ops, your managers probably forget that because counts are the most important thing that can be improved to them... understandable, but not what WDI wants.

Anyhow, adding audio to Space Mountain in Florida would not be a long and drawn out process. It would involve very little. The biggest hurdle is battery life and charging times. Those rockets don't stay put for very long! Thank goodness for new battery technology! For non believers, go look at X-2.
                                  -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...nfirmed-5.html

Ready to eat that humble pie yet Ride Warrior??
                                    Flynn.. I humbly offer to share a piece of my pecan pie ala mode with you as a symble of hope that the WDW Space Mountain will get a kickin' onboard soundtrack (or at least a great external one) at some point in the next few years.

The language of the WDW official site had confirmed the ost (for all intents and purposes) before it was eradicated. Subsequently to it's extraction I admitted that the indicated confirmation had been downgraded to rumor status. Still, I hung on with the hope that the onboard soundtrack would be included.

I always hope for the best. Until the recent soft opening, you were not able to say for certain that it wouldn't be a part of the refurb, flynn. I new that I was hoping against the odds of it happening. That's still far better than extending one's hopes to only the things that seem guaranteed.
                                    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I will say that the reports I keep piecing together from across the web seem to hint at the fact that WDI has done enough structural support and has enough new knowledge of onboard audio that adding it to the rockets in WDW shouldn't be a major issue should some sponsor be willing to pay for it sometime soon.

One rumor is that we may possibly get all new cars at that point in time that are some sort of composite material that is far lighter than the current cars to offset the added weight. That's something I'm willing to hang a bit of hope on (much like I still hang a bit of hope on SSE finally being finished.)

Comment

I will say that the reports I keep piecing together from across the web seem to hint at the fact that WDI has done enough structural support and has enough new knowledge of onboard audio that adding it to the rockets in WDW shouldn't be a major issue should some sponsor be willing to pay for it sometime soon.

One rumor is that we may possibly get all new cars at that point in time that are some sort of composite material that is far lighter than the current cars to offset the added weight. That's something I'm willing to hang a bit of hope on (much like I still hang a bit of hope on SSE finally being finished.)
                                        Exciting new perspective, kcnole! Cars made out of a lighter new composite material would answer the riddle of unbalanced heavy onboard soundtracks fast contributing to the wearing down of the tracks. Plus the material just might lend itself to a standout sleeker new look for the cars. Thanx for keeping up with those reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                          we care more about show than efficiency... though because you work in ops, your managers probably forget that because counts are the most important thing that can be improved to them... understandable, but not what WDI wants.
                                          Yeah I was going to say...show over efficiency? That's just silly theory these days. Don't say that near the Haunted Mansion's shorter stretch room program and new policy of "keep the front doors open and keep yelling over Master Gracey to squeeze MORE MORE MORE into the Stretch Rooms regardless of how off your show timing is!!!".

Yeah...so as for Space, audio I can live without...I like the silent space. I could have gone for more effects than just blinding me with a flash (before the lift hill?) and a darker mountain though.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X