This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Space Mountain Rehab Track Refurb On The Fast Track Horizon

I personally would like to send those UCF professors to Tokyo, so they can learn how a real Disney resort operates.

Comment

Why do you think they're not in the company any more? They can't stand the way the parks are operated today out here. lol

Yes, they all love Tokyo.
      -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        I personally would like to send those UCF professors to Tokyo, so they can learn how a real Disney resort operates.
        You are aware that TDL is not owned by Disney, right? It is licensed by The Oriental Land Company. Disney lets them license the rights. That may account for some of the differences you notice, but it is not exactly a real Disney resort. It is, in actuality, a resort that is modeled on Disney (of course utilizing the license of Disney's concepts, name, characters, etc.).

I guess it all depends on how you qualify what is and is not a "real Disney resort". I consider it to be a "real Disney resort" when it is owned by Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment Fan View Post
          You are aware that TDL is not owned by Disney, right? It is licensed by The Oriental Land Company. Disney lets them license the rights. That may account for some of the differences you notice, but it is not exactly a real Disney resort. It is, in actuality, a resort that is modeled on Disney (of course utilizing the license of Disney's concepts, name, characters, etc.).

I guess it all depends on how you qualify what is and is not a "real Disney resort". I consider it to be a "real Disney resort" when it is owned by Disney.

XD

Zingggggg

one hundred and one

Comment

Yes, we're all well aware. The OLC operates under contracts that were written to ensure that the Disney name and methods were not soiled by, what many would argue, are actions that the Walt Disney Company has undertaken while reaping the rewards of requiring Tokyo Disney Resort to maintain quality.

Comment

I cannot assume everyone knows everything so I figured I would make the distinction, in case anyone was unaware of OLC's owning of TDL.

As for the contracts, nobody twisted anyone's arm to sign anything (at least I doubt they did). OLC could have objected and passed on the contract, or tried to renegotiate anything they felt unfair. I don't feel any pity to a company that willfully enters a contract under the terms outlined (even if the terms seem unfair in any way, they signed them).

Unless, of course, I am mistaken in my interpretation of you post. I read it as a statement that OLC is unfairly forced by Disney, under the conditions of their contract, to keep to a certain level of quality while Disney itself does not have to maintain those same standards. Am I correct in my interpretation?

If I am, honestly, Disney should keep to the same standards they outline for licensees, but the fact of the matter is that they do not have to, as they are under no obligation to do so. There is only one group who can hold Disney's feet to the fire and ensure they keep their standards of quality at a high level at WDW, and that group is made up of the guests. The consumers of the park are the ones who can send the message to Disney, by not attending the parks. On top of this, everyone who chooses not to attend a Disney park should send e-mails/letters, or make phone calls to the proper Disney officials to make them aware of their reasons for choosing an option other than Disney. If enough people did this, MAYBE Disney would get the message (if they care to). If the company is not made aware of the issues people have, then how do they know they need to fix anything. As long as the people keep flooding in Disney will assume they are doing things right.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Disney and am an AP at WDW. I enjoy going to the parks, however I do see that there are issues that need to be addressed. This is my first year as an AP, having just moved down to Florida, and my enjoyment of the parks outweighs my concern over the decline in quality. I still enjoy the park very much, but if I begin to find that my frustration with quality issues outweighs my enjoyment of the parks then I would not renew my AP and I would also be sure to notify Disney as to my reasons for not renewing (I know just my comment to them would have no impact, but if everyone else who avoided Disney did the same, it could make a difference).

Comment

I read it as a statement that OLC is unfairly forced by Disney, under the conditions of their contract, to keep to a certain level of quality while Disney itself does not have to maintain those same standards. Am I correct in my interpretation?
                No - it's the irony that you go on about how TDL isn't a real Disney property, yet it demonstrates the Disney behavior BETTER then Disney's own parks. That's the irony in your hair splitting.. lazyboy was just illustrating you're picking on a company as being 'outside' when they do it better then the original.
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I have not once said whether either park does anything better. I am merely pointing out that OLC was not unaware of the terms of the contract. I also am completely aware of how it looks that Disney does not hold themselves to the standards they require TDL to uphold. As I said in my previous post:

"Disney should keep to the same standards they outline for licensees, but the fact of the matter is that they do not have to, as they are under no obligation to do so. There is only one group who can hold Disney's feet to the fire and ensure they keep their standards of quality at a high level at WDW, and that group is made up of the guests."

Disney does not have to keep to the standards they outline, they should (as I stated before), but the fact is that they do not have to. Aside from the guests' actions there is nothing forcing Disney to uphold quality standards at their own parks. OLC has to with TDL, as they can lose their license with Disney. Disney SHOULD maintain the same standards they hold TDL to. It is hypocritical of them to allow any of their parks to fall below what they require of their licensees. Disney should be setting the standard with their parks, yet they do not.

I am not hair splitting. I am pointing out a fact, that Disney does not have to adhere to the standards TDL has to, unless the people entering the parks change their own actions and go elsewhere. That's the only way Disney is going to get the message. And I don't see the problem with my statement. TDL is not truly a Disney park (at least that is how I see it), as they are not owned by Disney. I think it is sad that they do things Disney better than Disney does things Disney.

Comment

OLC has demonstrated time and time again their quality and expectations are not due to the licensing agreements - but from their own desires. They push for more above and beyond even the original Disney designs. Instead of a clone, they go further, etc.

The quality of the park is not due to licensing terms.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I wish that WDW would do the same. It really is a shame that they have so much potential, and yet they refuse to become the park that they could, and should be. In essence, they are unlikely to do anything so long as they believe they are not doing anything wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                        OLC has demonstrated time and time again their quality and expectations are not due to the licensing agreements - but from their own desires. They push for more above and beyond even the original Disney designs. Instead of a clone, they go further, etc.

The quality of the park is not due to licensing terms.
                        Ever since the 1950's the Japanese have been enamored with the high standard that Walt Disney held himself to in terms of theme park and attraction design. To this day, they remain naturally committed to to well funded and highly imagineered quality parks that push the bar. Don't believe many would argue that WDI's imagineers love them for it! To this end, I couldn't agree with you more, flynn.

I do disagree with you in your notion that Japanese Disney park designs are more creative/fun according to today's standards/expectations than those of Walt's day. The contention that the accomplishments of the two different eras are equivalent, I would confir.

A separate point is that there would be no Tokyo Disneyland or Disney Sea in name or physicality had it not been for one Walter Elias Disney.

I wish that WDW would do the same. It really is a shame that they have so much potential, and yet they refuse to become the park that they could, and should be. In essence, they are unlikely to do anything so long as they believe they are not doing anything wrong.
                        The Disneyland Resort is enjoying a renaissance (in spite of economic hard times). The Company there is once again driven primarily by desire to achieve/entertain rather than contracts and the dollar alone. On the other hand, WDW has for far too long remained a victim of conventional wisdom, disconnected management, accountaneers and overt routine neglect.
                        Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM.
                        To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Lets hope they get it together and make the Florida parks what they should be.

Comment

This is the point to which I am really responding. The only resorts totally owned by The Walt Disney Company are the Disneyland Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort. Disney only owns ≈40% of Euro Disney SCA, 43% of Hong Kong International Theme Parks and will only own ≈40% of the Shanghai resort.

You admit that Tokyo Disney Resort is more "Disney" than Walt Disney World, but you do not consider it to be "real Disney". In doing so you are ignoring quality present at all of Disney's foreign properties.

Comment

Originally posted by figment fan View Post
                              lets hope they get it together and make the florida parks what they should be.
                              Absolutely!

Comment

Hunny... I have known that since they were building TDL back in the early 80s, when I used to be a CM myself... reason why in the past I have argued that OLC should take over WDW's operation and turn it around. My reference to "real" is because OLC still upholds the Traditions that Walt set forth for their parks, as opposed to what I see at WDW. Does not get any more real than that! I just with the management at WDW would be reminded of those traditions every so often!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                  Hunny... I have known that since they were building TDL back in the early 80s, when I used to be a CM myself... reason why in the past I have argued that OLC should take over WDW's operation and turn it around. My reference to "real" is because OLC still upholds the Traditions that Walt set forth for their parks, as opposed to what I see at WDW. Does not get any more real than that! I just with the management at WDW would be reminded of those traditions every so often!
                                  I'd like to be able to argue with you about the condition of WDW and philosophy of it's management. Unfortunately, your opinion is oh so true. In these difficult economic times, WDW may pay a big price for it too... within the next few years.

There's less and less that it has of interest than what the Disneland Resort has... other than Animal Kingdom. WDW is like an infected puss pimple compared to Tokyo DisneySee.. Even Hong Kong Disneyland will soon be more happening. It's a sad, sad story.
                                  Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-23-2009, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
                                    I do disagree with you in your notion that Japanese Disney park designs are more creative/fun according to today's standards/expectations than those of Walt's day. The contention that the accomplishments of the two different eras are equivalent, I would confir.
                                    I wasn't referring to 'Walts Day' at all.. When I said

"They push for more above and beyond even the original Disney designs. Instead of a clone, they go further, etc"

I was meaning in the modern sense that when they take an existing attraction that some may consider 'up tp Disney standard' as it is.. OLC doesn't just clone that, they take it even further. So they don't even settle for modern Disney standards - they have their own. So to say their level of show is only because of licensing agreements is wrong in my belief.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

"They push for more above and beyond even the original Disney designs. Instead of a clone, they go further, etc"

I was meaning in the modern sense that when they take an existing attraction that some may consider 'up tp Disney standard' as it is.. OLC doesn't just clone that, they take it even further. So they don't even settle for modern Disney standards - they have their own. So to say their level of show is only because of licensing agreements is wrong in my belief.
                                      Disney profits off of this desire to go above and beyond because the Oriental Land Company is bound to use the services of Imagineering. I think Disney does encourage the OLC's desires to offer top notch experiences.

Comment

Oh I'm sure they do. However they don't require it. Disney is more than willing to build something amazing as long as someone else pays for it. Its what drives me crazy. They can afford to do amazing things with their own money, but they're stingy and refuse to do so. I often times wish a third party group as enamored with quality as OLC would come in and take over WDW. Of course in the US, we'd be far more likely to get someone who would cut costs even more than TDO does, so it could be worse.

Comment

Prior to the current commitment to remake the image of DCA, I would have been predisposed to completely agree. However, there is a renaissance of attitude in Anaheim that will carry us into 2012... and beyond that if our economy doesn't sink us all.

WDW management seems determined to prove you true.
                                          Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-23-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X