This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Pictures] Downtown Disney - Pictures

My picture threads consist of images I have taken that focus on the architecture, landscape architecture, planning, design, and theming of the facilities highlighted. They may also contain short descriptions and commentary, but will not focus on construction progress or special events or memorabilia or food selections or my traveling companions. Hopefully these threads are a good introduction for those who have not seen these places yet. All killer, no filler!

Downtown Disney photographed in February and November 2008:
    The free-admission center of the property is this shopping and dining and entertainment center composed of three distinct adjoining sections sited on the shore of a lake.

Downtown Disney West Side:
    The newest of the three sections is a collection of showy large-scale venues arranged on both sides of a central walkway. Many are attractive buildings but are so different in style that the overall composition is a trainwreck, although this manic approach creates a desirable level of excitement and stimulation for an entertainment center. The complex includes a permanent Cirque du Soleil theater, Disney Quest (an indoor interactive arcade), a movie theater complex, shops, and several famous restaurant locations.

Pleasure Island:
    This middle section is currently in transition and is mostly shut down. The core of the complex is a sloping pedestrian street surrounded by a dynamic collection of themed warehouses which contained nightclubs, restaurants, and several shops.

Downtown Disney Marketplace:
    The oldest section is a rambling village of low rather non-descript contemporary wood buildings housing shops and restaurants, although several restaurant buildings have been added or renovated that grab more attention. One of these is T-Rex, a fantastic themed concoction that celebrates extinct species in a Disney-worthy interior setting.

Enjoy!

Re: Downtown Disney - Pictures

Nice photos.
    There really is some nice architecture/design in DTD, but also some horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce05 View Post
      Nice photos.
      There really is some nice architecture/design in DTD, but also some horrible.
      Really nice pictures!

Individually, many of the buildings look nice, but side-by-side they are simply too eclectic and don't look right together. Downtown Disney doesn't really follow the ideals of the visually-coherent "architecture of reassurance" that Imagineering is supposed to be all about.

Comment

I think the building that is an eyesore in relation to the others is the House of Blues, which is a more rustic and realistically-themed building compared to the brash modern attitude of the others.

Comment

Again my friend, awesome pix. I love the T-Rex place. I am definately gonna go there. Kinda looks like a Rain Forest Cafe!
          Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

Comment

Gino USMC, yes T-Rex is owned by the same company as Rainforest Cafe!

Comment

it makes DTD in Anaheim look anemic.
              Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
              Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X