Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monorail Teal..

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Monorail Teal..

    Saw monorail teal the other day. Someone here claimed it was a new color combination based on the combined colors of the two monorails that crashed a few months ago. My question is.. how did this monorail come to be? Is it entirely new? or did they just put the two "good" ends of the monorails involved in the crash together and presto!?
    BTW.. I like the new color.. very pretty.. but looks more like "aqua" than teal.

  • #2
    Re: Monorail Teal..

    they put the two "good" ends together
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

    Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Monorail Teal..

      Thanks Chris.. that's what I thought. God forbid they would actually spend on building a new monorail.
      So Chris, when are you going back to (more crowded than the MK) TDL???

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Monorail Teal..

        TDLFAN, Disney is building a new monorail. Well, Bombardier is, but they've always done the Florida trains. No use wasting two good halfs.

        (I know, I'd rather see all the trains be brand new trains instead of just one, and an automated system, and it expanded, but you know...)
        -Bill

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Monorail Teal..

          Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
          Thanks Chris.. that's what I thought. God forbid they would actually spend on building a new monorail.
          So Chris, when are you going back to (more crowded than the MK) TDL???
          Not sure, my company might send me back to asia in a few months, then I can think about it.

          Beyond that, I do want to take a more lengthy trip to Japan in the next 1-2 years
          My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

          Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Monorail Teal..

            I hope it happens soon.
            Originally posted by Bill View Post
            (I know, I'd rather see all the trains be brand new trains instead of just one, and an automated system, and it expanded, but you know...)
            Maybe they should give OLC a call and ask for some cash and help??

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Monorail Teal..

              Originally posted by Bill View Post
              TDLFAN, Disney is building a new monorail. Well, Bombardier is, but they've always done the Florida trains. No use wasting two good halfs.

              (I know, I'd rather see all the trains be brand new trains instead of just one, and an automated system, and it expanded, but you know...)
              So are these the Mark VIII? Or are we just getting a new Mark VI?
              -Monorail Man

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Monorail Teal..

                It is not known. I know nothing except what was released to the press, and all that has been announced is one new train. I don't know if it will be the same design or not.
                -Bill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Monorail Teal..

                  I'm not surprised that they salvaged what they could from both trains, although I would still ride it, I'd be a little apprehensive getting on Monorail Teal, I can't lie. LOL

                  It's good they're bringing in another new train though, I don't have a problem with the current design, would like a better AC system though. Or a more consistent one rather, some cars are too hot and stuffy while others the AC works a little too well.
                  Last edited by SummerInFL; 11-23-2009, 09:11 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Monorail Teal..

                    From what I seen (don't take my word on it) but they will be re-constructing the two crushed halves to make another one after teal. Even more creepier.
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Monorail Teal..

                      Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                      From what I seen (don't take my word on it) but they will be re-constructing the two crushed halves to make another one after teal. Even more creepier.
                      The crushed noses are just piles of scrap. What can be salvaged will be re-used.
                      TDLFan, why would they even consider building an entirely new train when they have two good halves which can be thrown together? They could not wait for a new one to be built either. It puts a lot of strain on the hosts and the system itself to run on 10 trains for a minimum of one year. The best solution is to use what you have and put it in to service as quickly as possible.
                      Aside from the new train to bring the fleet back up to 12, the older trains should not be replaced for quite some time. After all, the oldest trains haven't even reached their life expectancy yet.

                      I don't know what model the new train will be, if there is one. I'd be surprised either way since a MVIII will have to run with the older trains for a few years. Then again when the time comes to replace all the trains, there will be a fairly new MarkVI still running around.
                      Either situation will complicate things slightly for maintenence and the whole system itself. And I doubt they'd want to replace a train that is probably less than ten years old.
                      sigpic


                      Originally posted by Phonedave
                      Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Monorail Teal..

                        Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        It is not known. I know nothing except what was released to the press, and all that has been announced is one new train. I don't know if it will be the same design or not.
                        I doubt it is even an entirely new train. If just Car Six, on Pink, and Car One, on Purple, were damaged that still leaves a whole train remaining that just needs drive units. Even if car five, on Pink, and car two, on Purple, were also damaged, that still leaves one third of a train good for use. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to have a local firm repair the chassis, if that is possible, and have new bodies built than having Bombardier build an entirely new train.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Monorail Teal..

                          Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                          So are these the Mark VIII? Or are we just getting a new Mark VI?
                          Hello Mr H.!!!! :wave:

                          I know this is beating a dead horse.. but what WDW needs is a new monorail system with the classic look of the current monorail fleet, but operated under the same automated systems the Tokyo monorail operates. Stations need to be upgrades to accomodate wheelchairs and strollers without the need of manual ramps, and nicer safety gates that do not look so jailbird ghetto.
                          And please.. NO MORE "waiting for traffic clearance"!! Some transport system of tomorrow the WDW monos have turned out to be.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Monorail Teal..

                            That "Waiting for traffic clearance" bit is the worst part.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Monorail Teal..

                              Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                              I doubt it is even an entirely new train. If just Car Six, on Pink, and Car One, on Purple, were damaged that still leaves a whole train remaining that just needs drive units.
                              This makes a lot of sense. But could image if they combined ALL the good cars and you had a 10 car train. oooooooh yeah.

                              Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                              What WDW needs is a new monorail system with the classic look of the current monorail fleet, but operated under the same automated systems the Tokyo monorail operates. Stations need to be upgrades to accommodate wheelchairs and strollers without the need of manual ramps, and nicer safety gates that do not look so jailbird ghetto.
                              And please.. NO MORE "waiting for traffic clearance"!! Some transport system of tomorrow the WDW monos have turned out to be.
                              A new system? We can't get 10 feet of new track! More likely, someday when they have to make a totally new set of trains you'll see the same automation Bombardier uses else where with TDL's attendant in the cab. The station floors would have to be raised - again, since the Mark IV had an even bigger step. The current Mark VI doors sink down before opening to be flush and watertight when closed with the current design which dictated the current floor height. I agree there has to be another way to level the floors. As for the station gates, hey if you have to raise the floors why not new cool gates.

                              Like Disneyland, because of physical limits like buildings and beam size WDW is pretty well stuck with a size and type of train. I really like walk thru designs and bigger trains/beams used by Seattle ALWEG,Hitachi & Scomi but why are they all so darn "Dog Ugly". Monorails should look like they are doing 300mph even when stopped in the station. I know your fond of TDL's monorails (and they are technologically cool) but my God a little Mouse moderation.
                              Last edited by Timon; 11-24-2009, 08:09 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Monorail Teal..

                                Monorail Teal is new in the fact that it has a new color. This train is completely made out of parts from both monorails. Theres probably a whole train minus noses somewhere near the maintenance building.

                                Being a little undisneylike, I think they would be fine just refurbing the current monorails. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
                                DisneyTwins
                                Since May 2003

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Monorail Teal..

                                  Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                  Monorail Teal is new in the fact that it has a new color. This train is completely made out of parts from both monorails. Theres probably a whole train minus noses somewhere near the maintenance building.

                                  Being a little undisneylike, I think they would be fine just refurbing the current monorails. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
                                  Kind of a bad expression, considering the recent accidently dealth, one could make the very emotional and passionate arguement that it is very broke, and needs repair. In reality its needs to be updated.

                                  The trains are fine. The technology use to operate them is in dire need of being brough up to date. It really should not have to be a choice of risking one's life, or taking 25 minutes to get a monorail from the Epcot beam to he express beam.

                                  These trains are 100% capable for being fully automated. They should refurb the trains, making them automamated and fully cleaning them from top to bottom. So many of them smell, and really, a smelly monorail, no matter how neat it looks on the outside, is just not magical. The Pilots can remain on the newly automated trains, but they would be more in the role of conductors.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Monorail Teal..

                                    Originally posted by Timon View Post
                                    I know your fond of TDL's monorails (and they are technologically cool) but my God a little Mouse moderation.
                                    A little "mouse" moderation is why WDW is the least magical of the Disney resorts. There is a huge difference between having "moderation" and being "cheap". If the WDW are the most visited in the World as they claim they are.. then why is the money situation so tight, and budgets are low? I know that WDW will not get a new monorail system anytime soon, but as you say.. "GOD!" How long before they realize the current monorail system is obsolete and in need of improvements?
                                    One correction: I am fond of TDR's monorails for their efficiency. They run on time and without delay, with minimal blah blah blah and no waiting for traffic clearance.. and the best part? The monorail CMs in Tokyo do not look tired or bored and never lean against railings in the stations as most CMs at WDW do in the monorail stations. Body language is so telling.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Monorail Teal..

                                      Originally posted by Kidgenie View Post
                                      Kind of a bad expression, considering the recent accidently dealth, one could make the very emotional and passionate arguement that it is very broke, and needs repair. In reality its needs to be updated.

                                      The trains are fine. The technology use to operate them is in dire need of being brough up to date. It really should not have to be a choice of risking one's life, or taking 25 minutes to get a monorail from the Epcot beam to he express beam.

                                      These trains are 100% capable for being fully automated. They should refurb the trains, making them automamated and fully cleaning them from top to bottom. So many of them smell, and really, a smelly monorail, no matter how neat it looks on the outside, is just not magical. The Pilots can remain on the newly automated trains, but they would be more in the role of conductors.
                                      Being a monorail pilot is no more dangerous than driving Disney busses around. I think the odds are about the same of a collision using an automated system, because we all know how reliable technology is (thats sarcasm) The NTSB report hasn't came out yet but from the looks of it, it was most likely a error in proper procedure by the pilots.

                                      I do agree that they do need to be refurbished, which will probably will mean no more smell. I'm not surprised that they do smell, which I think it smells like vynal, because it's used quite a bit.

                                      I'm not too upset about traffic clearances. It just shows that it is indeed a fully functional transportation system.
                                      DisneyTwins
                                      Since May 2003

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Monorail Teal..

                                        Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                        A little "mouse" moderation is why WDW is the least magical of the Disney resorts. There is a huge difference between having "moderation" and being "cheap".
                                        One of my pet peeves is the sticking of "Mouse Ears" everywhere. This malady isn't limited to TDL but all parks. It seems they are the fall back position for a lack of creative ideas. Now really subtle "Hidden Mickeys" are cool and hard to find and even better are inside tributes to past rides and staff. I think it's more fun to have to work to find this stuff instead of dumbing it down.

                                        As for the least Magical, I know you've debated that since your first post. Personally I like certain parts of all MK parks and generally like the Paris MK park best. There are a number of factors that can lead to the "cheap" look you talk about. One is when was the park built? The level of imagineering detail has increased over the years since 1955, 1971, 1983, 1992 to today 2009. DisneySea, Everest, rehabs like Haunted Mansion, DL's PoC all have detail by the ton. Having an Imagineer super hero attached to your park helps. Disneyland = Tony Baxter, AK = Joe Rohde

                                        Another factor is who's running the place. An accountant or creative? Does the person place value on detail or the dollar. Sadly for WDW it only had a creative leader for a few years in the 90's but is back to the pencil pushers - see Space Mountain rehab. 5-year plans vs 20-year plans can change investment values too - see OLC. The old Walt (Creative) and Roy(Financial) should be the model in all corporate areas from the top to ground level.

                                        Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                                        How long before they realize the current monorail system is obsolete and in need of improvements?
                                        Good question. For 38 years things worked fine. Billions transported, so what went wrong? The big one is someone changed the time-tested rules. Yes, automation would really help but when will the "money miners" see the value, I have no idea. I wish WDW had mainline monorails to/from all "high traffic" areas with fewer busses feeding the stations. I would guess in a decade or less the trains will get new bodies and the automation technology.
                                        Last edited by Timon; 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X