• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill
    replied
    Re: Monorail Teal..

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
    the new train looks good....is it carrying passengers yet?
    Only for the last 3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    TDR buses would automatically be 10x better than the same buses at WDW.

It's just a fact not some guy's opinion!
    well, they happen to be better and "retro-THEMED" to the resort, which is more than I can say for the ghetto busses at WDW.
    Tokyo Disney Resort: Disney Resort Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

the new train looks good....is it carrying passengers yet?

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Originally posted by s8film40 View Post
    RCID is independent of Disney, Disney pays taxes and elects directors but it is just as independent as any government is from it's taxpayers and voters. Disney has a good relationship with them since they are the only taxpayer. I just think that RCID might have better tools at it's disposal to get a large project like this off the ground. RCID seems to have a good track record with large projects. The first thing they worked on was drainage back in the 60's they created 47 miles of canals to control the water levels across the whole property, They built and maintain almost all of the roads at WDW and most consider these to be of exceptional quality, they built and maintain all of the utilities on property. I think there had to be an advantage to having RCID take on these large projects otherwise Disney would have just done it themselves.
    Those projects were given to the District because otherwise they would have fallen to the counties and/or state. The whole point of the District is to allow Disney to do things outside the standard government channels. In reality RCID is Disney and the distinction and independence is minimal.

Leave a comment:

• joanna71985
    replied

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Anyone Have Picture of the monorail teal?

Or just in the news?

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    All of which could still be done without Disney giving up the system to the district. You seem to be trying to look at this with the impression that RCID is truly independent of Disney, but that is only in theory.
    RCID is independent of Disney, Disney pays taxes and elects directors but it is just as independent as any government is from it's taxpayers and voters. Disney has a good relationship with them since they are the only taxpayer. I just think that RCID might have better tools at it's disposal to get a large project like this off the ground. RCID seems to have a good track record with large projects. The first thing they worked on was drainage back in the 60's they created 47 miles of canals to control the water levels across the whole property, They built and maintain almost all of the roads at WDW and most consider these to be of exceptional quality, they built and maintain all of the utilities on property. I think there had to be an advantage to having RCID take on these large projects otherwise Disney would have just done it themselves.

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Yes this would still cost Disney money in the end but I think it might be possible that a plan like this would reduce the cost and make it easier to get a project like this moving. In the scenario I described there would be no Disney employees if Disney contracted Bombardier to build and operate the system (similar to the set up in Las Vegas). RCID seems to have an abundance of money. They also have an existing transportation budget and since roads would be used less some of this could be diverted to the system. While I don't exactly understand how the whole bond situation works my guess would be that that would help to finance a project like this. Another possibility could be that Disney could also turn over the parking operation to RCID, this is supposedly how disney funds all transportation.
    All of which could still be done without Disney giving up the system to the district. You seem to be trying to look at this with the impression that RCID is truly independent of Disney, but that is only in theory.

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    RCID only has one primary source of tax revenue, Disney. Also, by selling it to a public body Disney now has to make all of the monorail pilots and maintenance staff employees of the District. There are plenty of other issues that would come into play. It would end up just costing Disney more money.
    Yes this would still cost Disney money in the end but I think it might be possible that a plan like this would reduce the cost and make it easier to get a project like this moving. In the scenario I described there would be no Disney employees if Disney contracted Bombardier to build and operate the system (similar to the set up in Las Vegas). RCID seems to have an abundance of money. They also have an existing transportation budget and since roads would be used less some of this could be diverted to the system. While I don't exactly understand how the whole bond situation works my guess would be that that would help to finance a project like this. Another possibility could be that Disney could also turn over the parking operation to RCID, this is supposedly how disney funds all transportation.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

TDR buses would automatically be 10x better than the same buses at WDW.

It's just a fact not some guy's opinion!

Leave a comment:

• Imagineer Scott
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    So based on that, the Haneda monorail packs more people daily, and the busses take the top spot. Way to go for the ghetto busses used at WDW!!!
    ghetto? They seem pretty reliable and nice to me....

If Tokyo used the buses I bet they'd be terrific and efficient and just what TDR needs... :lol:

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

This is why I suggested the Monorail System should be sold to RCID. For a company like Disney it's hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that doesn't directly effect profits. Whereas RCID approaches everything from a community perspective, looks at things more long term, and doesn't have to generate a profit. Also while I don't know how much tax money they actually receive everything they do seems to be very well funded.
    RCID only has one primary source of tax revenue, Disney. Also, by selling it to a public body Disney now has to make all of the monorail pilots and maintenance staff employees of the District. There are plenty of other issues that would come into play. It would end up just costing Disney more money.

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

This is why I suggested the Monorail System should be sold to RCID. For a company like Disney it's hard to justify spending that kind of money on something that doesn't directly effect profits. Whereas RCID approaches everything from a community perspective, looks at things more long term, and doesn't have to generate a profit. Also while I don't know how much tax money they actually receive everything they do seems to be very well funded.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

Expanding or updating the monorail will need significant investment, which will only be made available if there is sufficient drive towards long term plans not short term financial targets. an improved economic picture only servers to make the job of selling the investment to the finance people. It wouldn't magic the cash.

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

What I think would be really great is for Disney to sell the Monorail System to RCID who could then contract Bombardier to expand and automate the system. The money from the sell could be used to fund a parking garage near the Magic Kingdom and the Express and Epcot lines could be combined and then extended to the other parks. This way the monorails could take care of all the park to park transportation making it very easy for guests to park hop. Resort transportation could then be localized for example if you are traveling from anywhere to the Polynesian you would take the monorail to MK and transfer to the resort monorail, going to AK lodge take the monorail to AK and then get the bus from there.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

I wonder when or if they will ever expand out the monorail granted the costs involved..I would think that it costs less to operate a monorail than a bus fleet??

A long long time ago I heard that they were going to expand it out to AK or DHS but obviously that has yet to come to fruition..but if the costs versus long time savings were there it would be easy to make a argument for the Monorails over the busses..

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

I'm not sure I follow how you arrived at that conclusion

Haneda Daily ridership 127,000
    WDW Daily Ridership 157,000

looks like WDW packs more people in daily.

Again this is another area where WDW doesn't really compare well with the real world. For real world systems the average is a lot closer to what pretty much happens every day, theme parks have busy and slow seasons cities don't. The WDW system at peak times has a daily ridership of 200,000.

And yes it is pretty sad that the Buses hold the top spot at WDW, but they don't lead by that much and it says a lot that it takes more than 400 buses to transport just a few more people than 12 monorails do.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

So based on that, the Haneda monorail packs more people daily, and the busses take the top spot. Way to go for the ghetto busses used at WDW!!!

Leave a comment:

• s8film40
    replied

This is the closest there is to any official numbers it's a little outdated and even then it really is just an estimate since they stopped counting guests.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

I will give you that much. I hate taking those busses at WDW.

AS for the WDW monorail, yes it has a captived audience, so it's easy to see why they are considered popular. I wonder however, how many guests on average they transport daily. Like the Tokyo/Haneda monorail in Tokyo which carries on average 127,000 passengers daily.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X