Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shame on Disney Company Management

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Shame on Disney Company Management

    There was a time when Walt Disney World was the ultimate Disney venue, surpassing all other Disney properties for sheer size and quality. I would think that since WDW, having the full name of the Disney companies founder Walt, would continue to set the ultimate standard for all other Disney parks worldwide.

    It's very sad that management has decided to take a "no matter how little we do, people will come anyway" attitude. WDW has a world audience and should set the standard for, not only other Disney parks, but for theme parks in general. I have witnessed the demise over the past 18 plus years and hope beyond hope that R. Iger and J. Lassetter will soon rectify this situation.

    Who else feels the same as I? I would really like to know....

  • #2
    Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

    I've never been there. Disneyland rocks. I'd suggest you go there instead of WDW.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

      Do you feel this was deliberate decision to cheapen the brand, or that it was the result of being driven by corporate dollars, and the decisions being made tactically rather than strategically ?
      Smile, you never know who's looking !

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

        Originally posted by Lightning509s View Post
        There was a time when Walt Disney World was the ultimate Disney venue, surpassing all other Disney properties for sheer size and quality. I would think that since WDW, having the full name of the Disney companies founder Walt, would continue to set the ultimate standard for all other Disney parks worldwide.

        It's very sad that management has decided to take a "no matter how little we do, people will come anyway" attitude. WDW has a world audience and should set the standard for, not only other Disney parks, but for theme parks in general. I have witnessed the demise over the past 18 plus years and hope beyond hope that R. Iger and J. Lassetter will soon rectify this situation.

        Who else feels the same as I? I would really like to know....
        DISNEYLAND IS THE SAME WAY NOW!!
        I agreed with you : Shame on Disney Company Management
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

          I can honestly say that as a frequent visitor to WDW I've honestly not seen a dramatic fall in standards across the property... Sure, I've seem the entire resort 'age' in the last 20 years but this hasn't included a vast reduction in quality, delivery or execution.

          I've always found the majority of cast members to be fun, friendly and informative. I think the general standard of the transport system is excellent. The parks seem well maintained and clean, with people as eager to clean up after guests now, as in 1988 when I first visited.

          I accept that the Magic Kingdom (specifically) has aged and isn't as fresh as it once was but neither am I :-)

          None of the other parks are faultless but many people like the Epcot of today compared with the EPCOT Center of years gone by - it's a subjective argument. The only wish I have is that more big ticket rides were available in all the parks but at least the Fantasyland update is addressing this at the Kingdom.

          Come on it's not that bad!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

            Originally posted by whamo View Post
            I've never been there. Disneyland rocks. I'd suggest you go there instead of WDW.
            I highly Disagreed with You!

            Shame on Disney Company Management for Disneyland as well!
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

              Originally posted by Airamerica View Post
              I can honestly say that as a frequent visitor to WDW I've honestly not seen a dramatic fall in standards across the property... Sure, I've seem the entire resort 'age' in the last 20 years but this hasn't included a vast reduction in quality, delivery or execution.

              I've always found the majority of cast members to be fun, friendly and informative. I think the general standard of the transport system is excellent. The parks seem well maintained and clean, with people as eager to clean up after guests now, as in 1988 when I first visited.

              I accept that the Magic Kingdom (specifically) has aged and isn't as fresh as it once was but neither am I :-)

              None of the other parks are faultless but many people like the Epcot of today compared with the EPCOT Center of years gone by - it's a subjective argument. The only wish I have is that more big ticket rides were available in all the parks but at least the Fantasyland update is addressing this at the Kingdom.

              Come on it's not that bad!!!
              I agree with AirAmerica this time.

              My first trip was in late 76, and I've gone a number of times since. I do miss some of the old rides, and I was there when EPCOT was fresh and new, but like everything else it ages.... I know I have :blush:

              You can "feel" the difference in the parks at studio's, and AK. They don't have the same "Magic" that MK and EPCOT have/had. Its more of that "corporate" influence than the Magic Walt put into things. Though I can't fault them for the job they did with the details at AK the park itself just doesn't say "Disney" to me. Today more and more decisions are made by the bottom line than they are made for Magic.

              The Space Mountain refurb is a good example. While I'm sure they did a nice job with what they had how much more do you think COULD have gone into it? When it was first opened the technology was awe inspiring, will the refurb bring that back? I don't think so. The tweaks they have are stuff I have at home, or see routinely on TV. It can still be Space Mountain, but there is so much more they could add to make you go through just thinking to yourself....that is cool!" or" how the heck did they do that?"

              Thats the Magic that's missing, and I think it's because to push that envelope, the shareholders might have to loose a few dividends for a few years, and we all know THAT ain't going to happen.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                Originally posted by Airamerica View Post
                I can honestly say that as a frequent visitor to WDW I've honestly not seen a dramatic fall in standards across the property... Sure, I've seem the entire resort 'age' in the last 20 years but this hasn't included a vast reduction in quality, delivery or execution.
                I too have been visiting WDW for a long time (since the early 80s) and the parks are a sad shadow of what they once were.

                There is so much decline, magic which has twinkled away, loss of theme, and disrepair. For a while I figured that they just got too big as a resort to be able to tend to all the little details. But is seems much more deliberate than that.

                You can almost see the budget cuts with your own eyes.

                As someone who went through this with Disneyland in the late 90's, the WDW situation feels the same. Disneyland isn't perfect, but it has been brought back to a level of love and care that it hasn't had in a very long time. We can only hope that the constant budget cuts at WDW will be reversed as well.

                But now that the CFO of Disney is becoming head of the Parks and Resorts, there is a big question on whether it will be possible to restore WDW to its former glory.

                The one positive thing on the horizon is the Fantasyland redo. But even there, the focus is on Princess meet and greets (and the associated merchandise they can sell).

                I really can't make excuses for WDW any more. To do so would simply give the Disney company the mandate to make further cuts. They may think that people don't notice. But they do and are talking about it.

                A friend of mine from St. Louis called to ask me if Disney World was still worth a visit. She had heard at school that Disney World just wasn't worth the money any more. It was a hard question for me to answer.
                MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

                Find us on Facebook: .

                How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                Save

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                  Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                  I too have been visiting WDW for a long time (since the early 80s) and the parks are a sad shadow of what they once were.

                  There is so much decline, magic which has twinkled away, loss of theme, and disrepair. For a while I figured that they just got too big as a resort to be able to tend to all the little details. But is seems much more deliberate than that.

                  You can almost see the budget cuts with your own eyes.

                  As someone who went through this with Disneyland in the late 90's, the WDW situation feels the same. Disneyland isn't perfect, but it has been brought back to a level of love and care that it hasn't had in a very long time. We can only hope that the constant budget cuts at WDW will be reversed as well.

                  But now that the CFO of Disney is becoming head of the Parks and Resorts, there is a big question on whether it will be possible to restore WDW to its former glory.

                  The one positive thing on the horizon is the Fantasyland redo. But even there, the focus is on Princess meet and greets (and the associated merchandise they can sell).

                  I really can't make excuses for WDW any more. To do so would simply give the Disney company the mandate to make further cuts. They may think that people don't notice. But they do and are talking about it.

                  A friend of mine from St. Louis called to ask me if Disney World was still worth a visit. She had heard at school that Disney World just wasn't worth the money any more. It was a hard question for me to answer.
                  Its dissapointing that disneyworld is no longer the shock and awe place it use to be. even with the new fantasyland redo its essentially getting the new little mermaid and a double dumbo but thats it in term of attractions. Kevin yee really hits the point with his declining articles he does. I know disney painters and custodial staff cant be everywhere but sometimes its borderline scary how ragtag some of the things in disneyworld had become. How long have they used that finale float?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                    Originally posted by lighttragic View Post
                    Its disappointing that Disneyland is no longer the shock and awe place it use to be.
                    I could not have said it better myself. The last time I visited Disney, I felt like a walking ATM machine. If management could find a way to charge for the air you breath while you're there, I'm sure they would do it. With all this money, surely they could do much more than is currently being done. Walt was always about "plus-ing" his parks. He introduced the Florida property as the grandest plan that he and his imagineers had ever undertaken and when it was opened in 1971, it surly was! But look at all the growth that took place after the initial opening. There was always something being added or improved.

                    EPCOT opened in 1982 and was underwhelming at the very least, but management took that as a challenge and continually added and improved on the original product.

                    Then you had the explosion of enhancements during the mid 80's to mid 90's that was just mind boggling! But then, after Animal Kingdom opened and the 25th anniversary ended, ---poof---, it all went away. So here we are 8 years later and the plus-ing activity level at all the parks is extremely underwhelming. Sure AK got Everest and Dino land. Studios got lights, motors, action and Toy Story mania. Epcot got Mission Space, Nemo and Soarin and the MK will get Princesstopia. Whoohoo....

                    Look at everything else that is being allowed to age with little to no attention. Also think about everything that has been taken away. To numerous to mention.

                    Think about this...Just 6 years after opening, Walt demanded that Tomorrowland be entirely overhauled. It debuted to the public as a masterpiece of creativity in 1967. Can you honestly say that the "NEW" Tomorrowland, brought to you by Eisner and Co. is a brightly shining example of cutting edge creativity??? I don't think so. Tomorrowland has become a mishmash of space fillers.

                    And what about this whole new "Princesstopia" land being added to the Magic Kingdom. Phooey...1 new attraction and one expanded attraction while the rest will be elaborate meet and greet areas...Phooey again!

                    WDW has the resources financially to do wondrous things. Again, I can only hope beyond hope, that someone high up the food chain recognizes the potential and turns things around.

                    Hey, if Disney's California Adventure can get a $1 Billion dollar makeover, WDW should receive the same treatment don't you think.

                    Disney management, "Restore the Magic" and bring back the "Shock and Awe" to WDW Please!
                    Last edited by Lightning509s; 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM. Reason: Extra word removed, Changed $ amount

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                      Originally posted by Lightning509s View Post
                      Hey, if Disney's California Adventure can get a $10 Billion dollar makeover, WDW should receive the same treatment don't you think.

                      Disney management, "Restore the Magic" and bring back the "Shock and Awe" to WDW Please!
                      To be fair, DCA's renovation will clock in at just over 1 billion.

                      But the point you make is a valid one. Unless Disney continues to invest in the parks and keep them fresh, fun, and always something new and inspiring, people will stop going, spread a lot of bad news, and totally undermine the "Magical" feeling that WDW trades on.

                      The buy this, buy that, upgrade to this, get this special perk if you buy such-and-such, etc. had sucked a lot of life out of the parks. At the same time, they continue to do cut backs on shows, entertainment, and upkeep. It is just a crying shame.

                      Just try to enjoy Halloween at the Magic Kingdom - there is no Halloween unless you buy a special event ticket. Come on! Why not just fold Halloween into the regular park and let EVERYONE enjoy it? Isn't that a magical reason to visit in the off season? Same with Christmas.

                      I really hate it that Disney has made me so cynical about WDW. I'm not a Disney hater. I obviously LOVE theme parks or I wouldn't have started MiceChat, but as a business man and Disney fanatic, I'd say that the company isn't taking care of WDW in the same loving way that they do Disneyland in California. The Florida people and all DVC members have a right to be upset - they are getting short changed and over charged at the same time!
                      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

                      Find us on Facebook: .

                      How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                      Save

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                        Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                        Just try to enjoy Halloween at the Magic Kingdom - there is no Halloween unless you buy a special event ticket. Come on! Why not just fold Halloween into the regular park and let EVERYONE enjoy it? Isn't that a magical reason to visit in the off season? Same with Christmas.
                        That was the first thing I noticed at my most recent visit back in 2007 (you were there). I didn't understand why I flew all that way but couldn't enjoy the parks for the full day. This is my vacation! To be kicked out or required to buy another ticket after I bought a week pass really doesn't jive with me.

                        I've gone to WDW mid-90s, 2000, and 2007... it got progressively worse in my eyes. I don't WANT to be a WDW hater but I've had too many bad experiences there now that I don't even need to think twice about going back. It's a definite no.

                        If all they're adding in the next 4 years are Princess meet & greets, a recycled Little Mermaid ride from Disneyland, and a clone of Star Tours 2, that isn't going to cut it.

                        I understand that their priority is probably on outside tourists that DON'T have access to a Disney park, but I'm not sure why they think that way. This isn't a restaurant chain where all of them are supposed to be the same.

                        I see WDW commercials in California more often than Disneyland commercials so they're obviously trying to get us over there. I just think they need to step it up and make the definitive Walt Disney resort it has the potential to be.


                        Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

                        Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                          Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                          To be fair, DCA's renovation will clock in at just over 1 billion.

                          But the point you make is a valid one. Unless Disney continues to invest in the parks and keep them fresh, fun, and always something new and inspiring, people will stop going, spread a lot of bad news, and totally undermine the "Magical" feeling that WDW trades on.

                          The buy this, buy that, upgrade to this, get this special perk if you buy such-and-such, etc. had sucked a lot of life out of the parks. At the same time, they continue to do cut backs on shows, entertainment, and upkeep. It is just a crying shame.

                          Just try to enjoy Halloween at the Magic Kingdom - there is no Halloween unless you buy a special event ticket. Come on! Why not just fold Halloween into the regular park and let EVERYONE enjoy it? Isn't that a magical reason to visit in the off season? Same with Christmas.

                          I really hate it that Disney has made me so cynical about WDW. I'm not a Disney hater. I obviously LOVE theme parks or I wouldn't have started MiceChat, but as a business man and Disney fanatic, I'd say that the company isn't taking care of WDW in the same loving way that they do Disneyland in California. The Florida people and all DVC members have a right to be upset - they are getting short changed and over charged at the same time!
                          Question Dusty:
                          How mush worst is it at WDW than at Disneyland?
                          To be fair.. It's been long time I been there.....

                          As for D C A that was to be Disneyland Resort 2nd Park
                          and On Open Day we was giving a brand new -cheap park!
                          I do agreed, I do not like How WDW does it so call
                          special event ticket stuff... That is not right!
                          how they get away with that....
                          If on Vacation during Chistmas ..I would have paid see during the day
                          again to see it at night?
                          Something wrong with that!
                          MORE MONEY FOR DISNEY EX. that is a Shame....
                          Same time I see lot's of hurt to Disneyland also.....
                          I still say "Shame on Disney Company Management"
                          Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World !!!!!!!
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                            Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                            Question Dusty:
                            How mush worst is it at WDW than at Disneyland?
                            To be fair.. It's been long time I been there.....
                            Honestly, 10 years ago, I would have said that WDW was far superior to Disneyland in almost every way. It was a huge awe inspiring resort which looked fresh and had more entertainment than you could fit into one trip. At the same time, Disney was in a state of decline. Disneyland was so noticeably run down that you couldn't count the number of burnt out light bulbs on main street. There was visible cracked and pealing paint in queues and on buildings and you were lucky if a major animatronic wasn't broken on nearly every ride you went on.

                            Today the condition of the two resorts seems to have flip flopped. WDW is looking worse and worse on every trip but Disneyland looks fantastic, for the most part.

                            I'm not 100% trilled with how Disneyland is run, but it is head and shoulders better than Disney World and a far cry from the dark days of Paul Pressler and his evil penny pinching minions. In the last 5 years alone, they have turned Disneyland from a ratty has-been park to one that looks as though it might have been built yesterday. It is really that different. They pulled off a miracle for Disneyland's 50th anniversary and made the old girl new again.

                            While I'm with you when you say "Shame on WDW management" I just don't feel that the same is quite true for Disneyland management. We are at a critical juncture with a whole new management team in place for Disneyland and the Parks and Resorts in general. We'll find out soon enough what this means for the future. But from what I can tell, the future looks bright for Disneyland. Though, I can't say the same is true for the totally corporate creativity-deprived management of WDW.
                            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

                            Find us on Facebook: .

                            How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                            Save

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                              Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                              Honestly, 10 years ago, I would have said that WDW was far superior to Disneyland in almost every way. It was a huge awe inspiring resort which looked fresh and had more entertainment than you could fit into one trip. At the same time, Disney was in a state of decline. Disneyland was so noticeably run down that you couldn't count the number of burnt out light bulbs on main street. There was visible cracked and pealing paint in queues and on buildings and you were lucky if a major animatronic wasn't broken on nearly every ride you went on.

                              Today the condition of the two resorts seems to have flip flopped. WDW is looking worse and worse on every trip but Disneyland looks fantastic, for the most part.

                              I'm not 100% trilled with how Disneyland is run, but it is head and shoulders better than Disney World and a far cry from the dark days of Paul Pressler and his evil penny pinching minions. In the last 5 years alone, they have turned Disneyland from a ratty has-been park to one that looks as though it might have been built yesterday. It is really that different. They pulled off a miracle for Disneyland's 50th anniversary and made the old girl new again.

                              While I'm with you when you say "Shame on WDW management" I just don't feel that the same is quite true for Disneyland management. We are at a critical juncture with a whole new management team in place for Disneyland and the Parks and Resorts in general. We'll find out soon enough what this means for the future. But from what I can tell, the future looks bright for Disneyland. Though, I can't say the same is true for the totally corporate creativity-deprived management of WDW.
                              I take your word on that Dusty!
                              and sorry hear the way WDW....doing!
                              I do know thos DARK DAYS of Paul Pressler and his evil penny pinching minions......They made me sick ,what they did to our Disneyland and
                              Do have to agreed ther was NEW LIFE in our OLD GIRL(Disneyland) during the 50th!
                              I HOPE your right about the future for Disneyland!
                              I also like to see her younger sister do well also....
                              Thank You for shareing!
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                                Originally posted by Dustysage View Post
                                The buy this, buy that, upgrade to this, get this special perk if you buy
                                I really hate it that Disney has made me so cynical about WDW. I'm not a Disney hater. I obviously LOVE theme parks or I wouldn't have started MiceChat, but as a business man and Disney fanatic, I'd say that the company isn't taking care of WDW in the same loving way that they do Disneyland in California. The Florida people and all DVC members have a right to be upset - they are getting short changed and over charged at the same time!
                                Last edited by Lightning509s; 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM. Reason: Correct mistakes

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                                  Originally posted by Lightning509s View Post
                                  There was a time when Walt Disney World was the ultimate Disney venue, surpassing all other Disney properties for sheer size and quality. I would think that since WDW, having the full name of the Disney companies founder Walt, would continue to set the ultimate standard for all other Disney parks worldwide.

                                  It's very sad that management has decided to take a "no matter how little we do, people will come anyway" attitude. WDW has a world audience and should set the standard for, not only other Disney parks, but for theme parks in general. I have witnessed the demise over the past 18 plus years and hope beyond hope that R. Iger and J. Lassetter will soon rectify this situation.

                                  Who else feels the same as I? I would really like to know....
                                  Err, I don't. But there are many worldwide destinations. Maybe WDW isn't for you. I suggest visiting Tokyo Disney Sea and DL in about 2 years when TDS gets F! and DL gets WoC, TLM, and Carsland.

                                  I don't know if you know this but there is a pretty massive expansion ready for MK and a redo of Star Tours for DHS in the works right now along with the little things in each park like Innoventions additions. I see an increase in attention to the resort and quality lately like never before... finally.

                                  What are your examples of quality slipping?

                                  one hundred and one

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                                    As a strong believer that things haven't changed that much can anyone post picture examples of the steep decline?

                                    Reading through all the posts it seems evident that many of the complaints are actually routed in the rising costs associated with visiting the WDW resort. I accept that things are more expensive but does this mean that the detractors believe that WDW is no longer value for money, like it was in the 80's???

                                    If this is the case, the assumed decline isn't related to any investment (or lack of) from Disney management but individual frustration that it costs too much now!

                                    Again, rather than talking about it, can anyone supply any actual evidence?

                                    BTW, on my recent visit I spent the same amount as I did in 2004. I checked my credit card statements like-for-like over the same duration and it was within $50. Obviously, I didn't compare every snack and meal, just the 'pure' cost of my 21 days in the WDW resort!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                                      Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                                      I don't know if you know this but there is a pretty massive expansion ready for MK and a redo of Star Tours for DHS in the works right now along with the little things in each park like Innoventions additions. I see an increase in attention to the resort and quality lately like never before... finally.

                                      What are your examples of quality slipping?
                                      The following is a list of Walt Disney "plus-ing" Disneyland from the opening in 1955 to 1967. Keep in mind while you read the list, that Walt was charging minimal amounts for tickets and food stuffs. The level of activity is mind boggling!

                                      A few quotes from Walt:

                                      A) People look at me in many ways. They've said, 'The guy has no regard for money.' That is not true. I have had regard for money. It depends on who's saying that. Some people worship money as something you've got to have piled up in a big pile somewhere. I've only thought about money in one way, and that is to do something with it. I don't think there's a thing I own that I will ever get the benefit of except through doing things with it. I don't even want the dividends from the stock in the studio, because the government's going to take it away. I'd rather have that in (the company) working...

                                      B) Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.

                                      C) Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.

                                      D) We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

                                      E) You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.


                                      1955
                                      - July 17 1955 Disneyland Opens at a cost of $17 million
                                      Attractions included:

                                      Main Street USA

                                      - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad, Two Disneyland steam trains (C.K. Holliday and E.P. Ripley) (Opened July, Closed October 1974)
                                      - Main Street Railroad Station (Opened July)
                                      - Horse Drawn Street Cars (Opened July)
                                      - Horse Drawn Fire Wagon (Closed August 1960)
                                      - Main Street Cinema (Opened July)
                                      - Horse Drawn Surreys (Closed January 1971)
                                      - Main Street Penny Arcade (Opened July)
                                      - Main Street Shooting Gallery (Closed January 1962)

                                      Adventureland

                                      - Jungle Cruise (Opened July)

                                      Fantasyland

                                      Frontierland
                                      - Stage Coach (Closed February 1956)
                                      - Mule Pack (Closed February 1956)
                                      - Mark Twain Riverboat (Opened July)
                                      - Golden Horseshoe Review (Opened July, Closed October 1986) replaced with Golden Horseshoe Jamboree
                                      - Davy Crockett Museum (Closed December 1955)
                                      - Conestoga Wagons (Opened August, Closed September 1959)
                                      - Mike Fink Keel Boats (Opened December, Closed January 1994)
                                      - Indian Village (Closed January 1956)
                                      - Miniature Horse Corral (Closed July 1957)
                                      - Frontierland Railroad Station (Opened July)

                                      Tomorrowland
                                      - Tomorrowland Autopia (Closed September 1999)
                                      - Space Station X-1 (Opened July, Closed January 1958)
                                      - Cinerama USA (360 degree film, A Tour of the West) (Closed January 1960)
                                      - Monsanto Hall of Chemistry (Closed September 1966)
                                      - Rocket to the Moon (Closed September 1966)
                                      - Moonliner (Closed September 1966)
                                      - Clock of the World (Closed September 1966)
                                      - The World Beneath Us (Closed December 1959)
                                      - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Opened August, Closed August 1966)
                                      - Aluminum Hall of Fame (Opened December, Closed July 1960)
                                      - Thimble Drome Flight Circle (Opened September, Closed January 1966)
                                      - Hobbyland (Opened September, Closed January 1966)
                                      - Disneyland opens to the public on July 18th

                                      *** Disneyland opens to the public with admission costing just $1. Cost of attractions ranged from 10 to 35 cents.***

                                      - Fantasy in the Sky added 1956
                                      - Disneyland Hotel Opens October
                                      - Ticket books are first available containing A, B and C tickets (October)

                                      1956:



                                      1957:
                                      - Midget Autopia (Opened April, Closed April 1966)
                                      - Sleeping Beauty Castle (walk through) (Opened April, Closed January 2002)
                                      - Holidayland (Opened June, Closed January 1961)
                                      - Monsanto House of the Future (Opened June, Closed December 1967)
                                      - Viewliner (Opened June, Closed September 1958)
                                      - Motor Boat Cruise (Opened June, Closed January 1993)
                                      - Indian Village Rafts (Opened July, Closed January 1971)
                                      - Frontierland Shooting Gallery. (Opened July, Closed March 1985)

                                      1958:

                                      - Grand Canyon Diorama (Opened March)
                                      - Alice in Wonderland (Opened June)
                                      - Columbia Sailing Ship (Opened June)
                                      - Motorized Main Street Fire Truck (Opened August)
                                      - Satellite View of America (Opened January, Closed February 1960)
                                      - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad adds Fred Gurley Engine. March 28th
                                      - Tomorrowland Railroad Station
                                      - First year Candlelight Procession (December)
                                      - Disneyland Kennel Opens (January 18th)

                                      1959:
                                      - Fantasyland Autopia (Opened June, Closed September 1999)
                                      - Submarine Voyage (Opened June, Closed September 1998)
                                      - Disneyland-Alweg Monorail System, Mark I Train on a .8 mile track around
                                      Tomorrowland (Opened June 14th)
                                      - Matterhorn Bobsleds (Opened June)
                                      - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad adds Ernest S. Marsh Engine. July 25th
                                      - E-tickets added to ticket book (June)

                                      1960:


                                      1961:
                                      - Snow White Grotto and Wishing Well (Opened March)
                                      - Debut of the Mark II Monorail Extended track length to 2.5 miles, Monorail to the
                                      Disneyland Hotel (June) Specs: 112 FT., 4 Car, 108 Person Seating Capacity
                                      - Flying Saucers (Opened August, Closed September 1966)
                                      - Babes in Toyland Exhibit (Opened December, Closed September 1963)

                                      - First all night grad night party for High School Graduates is held in June.
                                      - Tinkerbell has her first flight at Disneyland


                                      1962:
                                      - Safari Shooting Gallery (Opened June, Closed January 1982)
                                      - Adventureland Shooting Gallery (Opened January, Closed November 1969)
                                      - Indian Village (Expansion)
                                      - Jungle Cruise (New scenes added)
                                      A group of Audio-Animatronics elephants in the Elephant Bathing Pool are added to the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.
                                      - Swiss Family Tree House. (Opened November, Closed May 1999)


                                      1963:


                                      1964:
                                      - Columbia Sailing Ship (Opened February)
                                      - Tomorrowland Jets (Opened August, Closed September 1966)
                                      - Jungle Cruise (New scenes added).

                                      - The New York World's Fair opens. Walt Disney's WED company constructed pavilions for: Ford ("Magic Skyway"); General Electric ("Progressland"); the state of Illinois ("Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln") and Pepsi-Cola ("It's a Small World"). (April 22)

                                      1965
                                      1966:

                                      *** Walter Elias Disney, dies of cancer at 9:35 AM December 15, at the age of 65. He had been recovering from surgery a month earlier to remove one of his lungs. Roy Disney, his brother, takes over the Disney corporation.***

                                      1967:



                                      I now challenge you to tell me that the same amount of activity within the parks exists today. Can you just imagine what the parks could be like if current management was this aggressive with the Walts "plus-ing" style???

                                      A helk of a lot better than it currently is!!! I rest my case!:imtheone:

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Shame on Disney Company Management

                                        Originally posted by Airamerica View Post
                                        If this is the case, the assumed decline isn't related to any investment (or lack of) from Disney management but individual frustration that it costs too much now!

                                        Again, rather than talking about it, can anyone supply any actual evidence?

                                        BTW, on my recent visit I spent the same amount as I did in 2004. I checked my credit card statements like-for-like over the same duration and it was within $50. Obviously, I didn't compare every snack and meal, just the 'pure' cost of my 21 days in the WDW resort!

                                        Just FWI: Disneyland opened to the public in 1955 with admission costing just $1. Cost of attractions ranged from 10 to 35 cents.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X