• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foolish Mortal 13
    Restless Haunt
    • Nov 2009

[Review] Haunted Mansion extension

I've noticed throughout a lot of the Haunted Mansion's effects, they're starting to dim down a little, starting to seem boring. Why not bring the mansion back to life (no pun intended). Add a few new effects, update the currently new ones, or fix some of the effects that have lost their touch. Here, I'll start you off with a simple one and then work our way up: It seems that every time you walk into the foyer, the Master Gracey portrait seems to have already done it's job before anybody could see it, just a rotted corpse. What needs to be done here is that the portrait needs to be timed, so that when guests walk in, the doors shut, and as he narrates, his portrait ages through the show, not after. Now, I'll shut up and let you guys talk it out. Remember: keep it positive.
  • GraceysGirl
    Happy Haunt
    • Aug 2009

Re: Haunted Mansion extension

I've noticed that Master Gracey is done by the time I get in more than once. Sometimes at night I've skipped that whole part and gone straight into the Stretching Room. I really love that effect but I also think it's just another holding room. If the guests see it great if not oh well. It's a shame to miss it but most people don't even notice.

As for what I'd change or update I really don't think there is much. After the recent renovations I'm really liking the changes. My favorite part about the mansion are all the little details that most people miss like the swinging leg shadow while your going through the ballroom or the gargoyles that whisper to stay together . I'd like to see them make the staircase area more interesting, it would be cool if they added some doors that "opened" and "closed" with the proper sound effects. Or made some feet barefoot or something.

Comment

• disneyfann121
      Banned User
      • Mar 2008

If the Master Gracey portrait has already changed when you get in the foyer, why not just wait? You can wait for the second stretching room crowd to go in while you watch the transformation. I'm going to videotape the whole sequence next time I go, unless some CM says I can't.

Overall, I think the effects are in great shape, post-refurb. Maybe they could add the faces that show up in the sceance scene from DLR's Mansion.

Graceysgirl, how do you get to hear the whispering gargoyles?

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
        Restless Haunt
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by disneyfann121 View Post
        If the Master Gracey portrait has already changed when you get in the foyer, why not just wait? You can wait for the second stretching room crowd to go in while you watch the transformation. I'm going to videotape the whole sequence next time I go, unless some CM says I can't.

Overall, I think the effects are in great shape, post-refurb. Maybe they could add the faces that show up in the sceance scene from DLR's Mansion.

Graceysgirl, how do you get to hear the whispering gargoyles?
        I think I could answer that, after the stretching room sequence, when all the guests are ushered out, if you linger in the gallery too long, you can hear stay together, stay together in a child like voice, and they also giggle from time to time, they originally were supposed to have a speaking role where they would quote a line from the Ghost Host. This is weird, all this info coming from a guy who has never been to a Disney park in his entire life, though I wish I could.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
          Restless Haunt
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by GraceysGirl View Post
          I've noticed that Master Gracey is done by the time I get in more than once. Sometimes at night I've skipped that whole part and gone straight into the Stretching Room. I really love that effect but I also think it's just another holding room. If the guests see it great if not oh well. It's a shame to miss it but most people don't even notice.

As for what I'd change or update I really don't think there is much. After the recent renovations I'm really liking the changes. My favorite part about the mansion are all the little details that most people miss like the swinging leg shadow while your going through the ballroom or the gargoyles that whisper to stay together . I'd like to see them make the staircase area more interesting, it would be cool if they added some doors that "opened" and "closed" with the proper sound effects. Or made some feet barefoot or something.
          And as for you, I've never heard about the "leg shadow" before, the only effects that are new and seem new to me are the wraiths coming in and out the windows above the hearse guests, and the "sinister 11" portrait in the Doom Buggy balcony. Can you explain further on this shadow creature?
          Which leads into another update idea, making the "sinister 11" portraits follow guests again, and possibly making the April/December portrait more visible in it's current spot (the stairwell)

Comment

• kcnole
            • Mar 2006

The problem isn't with the timing on the picture, its that the CMs are being required to push people through the mansion as fast as possible and show be damned.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
              Restless Haunt
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
              The problem isn't with the timing on the picture, its that the CMs are being required to push people through the mansion as fast as possible and show be damned.
              Interesting. Do you know a lot of things about the mansion that we don't know? If you do, I mentioned earlier about the sinister 11 portrait's eyes, do you know why they aren't used anymore?

Comment

• GraceysGirl
                Happy Haunt
                • Aug 2009

Ya the gargoyles are my favorites right now. Everyone walks right out and every once in a while some people see me hanging back and being really quiet and they ask what I'm doing so I let them in on the secret. They always love it.

As for the feet, I truly thought I knew all the fun little things in the ride but back in June I was waiting in line in front of some people who were talking about the ride. I hadn't caught the whole story so being nosy and kinda rude I just turned around and butted right in. When your in the ballroom it's about halfway down. You have to lean forward and look at the ground right in front of your Buggy. There is a walkway right outside of the buggy before the drop off to the ballroom scene. There are a two sets of shadow legs hanging down and swinging as if there are ghosts sitting above you on the wall. I had no idea that they were there and I also hadn't read anything about them before.

Comment

• chris2fett
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by GraceysGirl View Post
                  Ya the gargoyles are my favorites right now. Everyone walks right out and every once in a while some people see me hanging back and being really quiet and they ask what I'm doing so I let them in on the secret. They always love it.

As for the feet, I truly thought I knew all the fun little things in the ride but back in June I was waiting in line in front of some people who were talking about the ride. I hadn't caught the whole story so being nosy and kinda rude I just turned around and butted right in. When your in the ballroom it's about halfway down. You have to lean forward and look at the ground right in front of your Buggy. There is a walkway right outside of the buggy before the drop off to the ballroom scene. There are a two sets of shadow legs hanging down and swinging as if there are ghosts sitting above you on the wall. I had no idea that they were there and I also hadn't read anything about them before.
                  That's because the shadows are of the animatronics seated on the railing ABOVE your doombuggy, being "projected" (actually reflected through glass) into the chandelier. The animatronic figures are a little "too close" to the edge, so if you lean far enough you can see their legs/shadows, which you are NOT supposed to be able to see.

The picture below kind of shows you what I'm talking about - here you see the actual animatronics, which are just UNDERNEATH the doombuggy balcony (remember, you're riding on the second floor balcony, looking DOWN into the ballroom)

This next picture shows how these same figures, reflected through the glass, appear to the doombuggy passengers as they glide by overhead.

And look at this next picture, taken from inside the ballroom itself. The doombuggies are above and to the left, not visible from this low angle. Ses the large sheets of glass on the left, with the animatronic dancing figures behind them?
                  Last edited by sir clinksalot; 12-09-2009, 06:02 PM. Reason: Please see MiceChat's policy regarding hot-linked pictures. Thanks.

Comment

• Bryce05
                    MiceChatter
                    • May 2008

Cool pics!

Comment

• KISSman
                      Progressive Disneylander
                      • Dec 2006

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the state of the Mansion on the inside. The last major update wasn't that long ago and the improvements were significant. I suppose it's still too 'new' to me to feel the least bit stale.

I'd say that the one thing that could be done better is a better handling of the show in the initial holding room. I have always felt that the attraction starts the second you walk though those doors and I am bothered when you miss hearing some of the Ghost Host's spiel or miss seeing the entire portrait evolution because you weren't lucky enough to walk through the doors sooner. I would prefer it so that the spiel wouldn't start until you had everyone in the room and the doors are shut. I realize that the root of the problem is due to them trying to get people onto the attraction as fast as they can, but it's a shame that a key part of the experience is edited for some people. That intro spiel is as important to me as anything else in that big 'ol scary house.

Comment

• Semiquaver
                        Mouseketeer
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Foolish Mortal 13 View Post
                        I've noticed throughout a lot of the Haunted Mansion's effects, they're starting to dim down a little, starting to seem boring. Why not bring the mansion back to life (no pun intended). Add a few new effects, update the currently new ones, or fix some of the effects that have lost their touch.
                        This is weird, all this info coming from a guy who has never been to a Disney park in his entire life, though I wish I could.
                        I agree with the fundamental idea that all Disney attractions need to be kept in their prime condition, with some subtle updates and a major one or two over the years to keep interest up. However, I have to question how someone who has never seen these rides in person can claim they're starting to seem boring. Disney rides have a magic that cannot be captured on film and must be experienced in person. This is the magic that keeps the rides from seeming dull or boring even without constant updates.

In my opinion, of all of WDW, HM seems to be in the best condition and other attractions desperately need more love.
                        "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

• Exomonia
                          TDR... It gets the love!!
                          • Jul 2009

The WDW HM is the best of all the parks- therefore I think that it doesn't need a major refurb as of yet. But a good point foolishmortal. If there were two things I could change, it would be the aforementioned 'evolving portrait' room, and secondly the heads which jump up in the attic and graveyard scenes. The heads look old and outdated, and need to be updated.
                          Yes. We all know that I am psychic. Don't believe me? Well... I'm sensing that you like Disney. I see that look of bewilderment, hmmm?

Comment

• aimster
                            Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

WDW's HM just GOT a major refurb a 2-3 years ago. Before the refurb, it was definitely in a very sad state. Now it looks better than it has in years!

And those are cool pics! I love seeing stuff like that.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
                              Restless Haunt
                              • Nov 2009

If there are updates to be done, the corridor of doors is one place that is missing things that other parks have. Despite Phantom Manor in Paris, Tokyo and California have things that could give the MK mansion some more flare. The two reliefs of the snarling beasts and the portrait that grows a 3-dimensional face. The locations of these effects can be put where there are duplicate family portraits of the ones that exist in other parts of the corridor , and they could be put else where.

Comment

• Imagineer Scott
                                Pongo is my hero.
                                • Sep 2009

I'll make sure to check out HM and exam thoroughly to see if any effects are not working, but on my last trip they were all working fine. Nothing stood out like a sore thumb, so I doubt any effects aren't working.

one hundred and one

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
                                  Restless Haunt
                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                                  I'll make sure to check out HM and exam thoroughly to see if any effects are not working, but on my last trip they were all working fine. Nothing stood out like a sore thumb, so I doubt any effects aren't working.
                                  Well, I think they're in good condition too. But there's also the fact that I heard a couple people talk about the Wedding portraits in the Attic, they've said that when they went to Disneyland, they saw them work, the heads would disappear. But then they would discuss afterwords that on their recent trip to the magic kingdom that they think that effect was to take place here, but they didn't see them work.

Comment

• Semiquaver
                                    Mouseketeer
                                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Foolish Mortal 13 View Post
                                    Well, I think they're in good condition too. But there's also the fact that I heard a couple people talk about the Wedding portraits in the Attic, they've said that when they went to Disneyland, they saw them work, the heads would disappear. But then they would discuss afterwords that on their recent trip to the magic kingdom that they think that effect was to take place here, but they didn't see them work.
                                    I'm pretty sure that by the nature of the effect those portraits can only "break" if the doombuggies stop moving. Works again once they start moving.
                                    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Comment

• Figment Fan
                                      Life Long Disney Fan
                                      • Sep 2009

I've been to the MK a few times this year, most recently last week, and the portraits in HM's attic do in fact fade out and return as they are supposed to. They've worked every time I've been, at least once a month, starting with February of this year.

Comment

• Foolish Mortal 13
                                        Restless Haunt
                                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Figment Fan View Post
                                        I've been to the MK a few times this year, most recently last week, and the portraits in HM's attic do in fact fade out and return as they are supposed to. They've worked every time I've been, at least once a month, starting with February of this year.
                                        I ENVY YOU, in a good way. You are lucky to go when I can't even afford the trip, and still had never seen a Disney park or the mansions in person,
                                        (yet. :evil (Note that I could not find a mischievous smilie, I had to pick the demon ((i hate demons)))
                                        You know what I say about going to Disney world: keep on living that dream, no matter what. As for the portraits, what might explain why they didn't work at times is that people had discussed it right after the mansion re-opened, so I think they went in and fixed it at the same time they added the family portraits to the corridor of doors. I could be wrong, please correct me if I am, I have a problem where I just retell what other people had said to me and they are or could be wrong. I know that they work, it's just what other people say that concerns me.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X