This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News RnRC testing new queue system

It looks like Disney is testing a new queue system for the stand by line at RnRC.

Instead of waiting in line, you're given a ticket with a group number (A1, A2 etc.) and your allowed into the entry plaza which has Guitar Hero and Rock Band over at RnRC's fastpass turnstiles, and there's a DJ in the plaza as well.

There are several monitors which announce what group number is allowed to enter the building, and they also post the wait time for the other groups.

They're still doing Fastpass and Single rider, though for Fastpass they're now having them at ToT's turnstyle location.

I'd say one reason they're testing this is due to the idea they have with the new Dumbo queue line with no line but entertainment.

Here's a bunch of photo's provided from studios central Rock 'n Roller Coaster Queue Test - Studios Update | Weekly Photo Updates of Hollywood Studios
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Re: RnRC testing new queue system

screwy... kudos for trying something out of the box though?

Comment

This seems kind of wierd... I think that for many rides though, a queue is a necessesary part of the whole experience, ie Indaina Jones Adventure @ DLR, but I don't know if that's a factor on RnRC, as I have never been on that ride. It could be good though, but it seems kind of redundant to still have a FastPass with that too.

Comment

It seems like a good idea, but kind of odd at the same time. It's like a second layer/method of Fastpass, without the freedom of movement the primary Fastpass grants.
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

It's interesting. I wonder how it would be to be there and experience it and if it will be a long term change that actually works.

Comment

That seems interesting, the standby queue isn't really that exciting if you have any wait outside. Wonder how this will affect standby wait times though, will you end up waiting longer than you would have without this option, (do you even have an option of not participating and just do the normal standby line)? Also how many people can be assigned to a group, and will your party get grouped with other guests? Seems like it could be a good idea, interesting to see how long they test this out. I would have like to have tried this out while I was there recently.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Interesting. Very interesting.

Wonder how this is going to play out.
              MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
              (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

Originally posted by almandot View Post
                screwy... kudos for trying something out of the box though?
                LOL... that is pretty much my reaction!!!
                Good morning, son
                In twenty years from now
                Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                And I can tell you 'bout today
                And how I picked you up and everything changed
                It was pain
                Sunny days and rain
                I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I actually really like the sounds of this. It's much like waiting in line, but with the freedom to move around, and without the line-slowing/"two lines" problems that FastPass has.

Imagine being able to put your name down for a table for a restaurant, and waiting while making a trip to the bathroom or taking a seat in the waiting area, OR standing in a really long line next to a bunch of people you don't know, barely moving. Which would you prefer?

It's pretty much the same principle. It wouldn't work for all ride systems, but it sounds like it may work very well for RnRC and Dumbo.

Comment

It would be cool to be able to explore the Jones queue though while waiting for your group to enter the temple on the EMV. It would have to be wider and shorter though to work properly. This is a unique idea for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Noski View Post
                      This seems kind of wierd... I think that for many rides though, a queue is a necessesary part of the whole experience, ie Indaina Jones Adventure @ DLR, but I don't know if that's a factor on RnRC, as I have never been on that ride. It could be good though, but it seems kind of redundant to still have a FastPass with that too.
                      Sounds great to me. The actual themed part of the queue for RnRC is increadibly shallow and honestly only interesting to see once. I've become increadibly bored in this line on many occasions but then again I ussually visit for the Holidays.

Sadly I doubt this system would work on the most crowded days because if the line is sporting a 3 hour wait most people will still treat it like Fastpass and run out to do other things. At the very least I'd figure I could get a meal and maybe check out a shop on that time schedule . On the pluss side it sounds like it would actually expire.
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by AE_Fan View Post
                        Instead of waiting in line, you're given a ticket with a group number (A1, A2 etc.) and your allowed into the entry plaza which has Guitar Hero and Rock Band over at RnRC's fastpass turnstiles, and there's a DJ in the plaza as well.
                        Its a test...I know...and while it could prove interesting, the fact that they have to load up the waiting area with a DJ, activities and Guitar Hero just saddens me. OK. So we can't wait in line as a society anymore. OK. But when we're given freedom to sit and wait and *gasp* relax and hang out with the people we are with we still can't handle it without immediate stimulation?

While I am at it can I add to this my distaste for 13 year olds who must use their IPODs in the parks the moment they step off a ride?

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                        Sadly I doubt this system would work on the most crowded days because if the line is sporting a 3 hour wait most people will still treat it like Fastpass and run out to do other things.
                        But at least the beauty is they can't come back late like Fastpass. And we know there are many in the daily park attendance that won't be able to work that kind of scam properly. But...

...we'll see how this turns out, but I see the major downfall to this being that they end up turning the areas outside the rides into crowded noisy nightmares. I mean, the queues are supposed to hold people, it gets them off the walkways and out of the pathways.

First Fastpass, and now this. I mean, I think Jspider is onto something, what is saying that in a 90 min wait people won't run off somewhere else and then come back? Even if you can't get in "late"...you can certainly go from one end of the park to the other in 60 min of the 90 that "you're in line" for the rides.

So now you have standby & fastpass at other attractions while "in line" for RnRC? Park throughput and ride capacity were not planned around these scenarios.

Paging Kevin Yee to the discussion please.

Comment

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
                          Its a test...I know...and while it could prove interesting, the fact that they have to load up the waiting area with a DJ, activities and Guitar Hero just saddens me. OK. So we can't wait in line as a society anymore. OK. But when we're given freedom to sit and wait and *gasp* relax and hang out with the people we are with we still can't handle it without immediate stimulation?

While I am at it can I add to this my distaste for 13 year olds who must use their IPODs in the parks the moment they step off a ride?

But at least the beauty is they can't come back late like Fastpass. And we know there are many in the daily park attendance that won't be able to work that kind of scam properly. But...

...we'll see how this turns out, but I see the major downfall to this being that they end up turning the areas outside the rides into crowded noisy nightmares. I mean, the queues are supposed to hold people, it gets them off the walkways and out of the pathways.

First Fastpass, and now this. I mean, I think Jspider is onto something, what is saying that in a 90 min wait people won't run off somewhere else and then come back? Even if you can't get in "late"...you can certainly go from one end of the park to the other in 60 min of the 90 that "you're in line" for the rides.

So now you have standby & fastpass at other attractions while "in line" for RnRC? Park throughput and ride capacity were not planned around these scenarios.

Paging Kevin Yee to the discussion please.
                          The DJs and all that could simply be to aid with the test, and see what people respond too. Plus, the loudness and musical theme fit the theme of the ride. Personally as long as the corrals are built to hold people seperate and away from the paths just as a line would, what is the problem with giving people something to do while they wait? I guess what will be interesing is if you can freely come and go from the line area or not. I'd say that you shouldnt be able too.

Lines are getting longer, and as long as the "entertainment" offered matches thematically with the environment of the land, bridging it with the environment of the ride, introducing you to the plot (with this test not being the strongest example maybe), this new method may just have a very promising future. Not to mention that it eliminates line cutting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X