Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

DISNEY RESPONDS TO CRITICISM FROM ABIGAL DISNEY

Disney has responded to Abigail's recent comments and they can be discussed in this thread - https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...neyland-resort
2 of 2 < >

MICECHAT COMMUNITY RULES

See more
See less

Disney's lost water park discovered

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disney's lost water park discovered

sad to se it in that condition but like others have said very fascinating seeing nature grow around it.

There is only one thing Disney should do and that is to fill in the concrete pool and remove items like the plastic banners and rafts that could actually be hazardous to the critters in the area and environment. The rest of it is mostly wood and some fake rocks which nature is doing a great job in taking care off.

Imagine the money Disney could have done by selling some of those items there are a couple items i would not mind having to remind me of the peaceful time i had there. i have never gone back to blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon because i found them to chaotic but there was something about river country that kept bringing me back. The beaufitul natural views and the peaceful environment

Comment

It burns me to see them contaminate the environment with all this trash. They talk about saving the environment in Epcot, when just a few miles away, they're letting all this trash just sit. The least they could do is to remove the plastic and fill in the pools! Shame on Disney for being so hypocritical!

Comment

I think all the trash is mainly in the one building with that creepy doll head (lol, why is it there?!). It shouldn't effect any animals.

And Baloo, if you go to TL/BB in any month besides june/july/beginning of August then you'll basically have the parks to youself- which is quite nice.

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
          I think all the trash is mainly in the one building with that creepy doll head (lol, why is it there?!). It shouldn't effect any animals.

And Baloo, if you go to TL/BB in any month besides june/july/beginning of August then you'll basically have the parks to youself- which is quite nice.
          Still, all that stagnant water created by the plastic and pools creates a large problem as well. Besides, that shack is going to fall sooner or later, opening it up for animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
            Notice the big capacity differences?
            Duh ya, having 2 open instead of 3 is less capacity and potential revue in total.

What was the point in posting those pictures? It Doesn't explain you theory as to why RC closed as already stated the park was open for years after BB was. BB and TL were never meant to be replacements but additional sources of revenue and capacity for the demand for water parks. RC remained busy while the other two were open which it probably still would have been if Disney kept it open. The appeal to those staying at FW and WL was huge and always ensured that the park would close due to capacity. Again this remained even after BB opened.

And if water was such an issue would the cost of closing off the portion that let in lake water been such a terrible thing in the long run if Disney could have continued to make money off the property? Right now they're making 0 at the moment and just giving a home for more mosquitos.

Trash should be cleaned up and land cleared to shorten the process of nature taking over and possibly make the space suitable again for future ideas. Again just letting it sit there does nothing for Disney's future income statements or the immediate wildlife.

As for the plaque it could have been at least put up on ebay or given to one of the former CMs.

Still all this talk of RC is nothing compared to the unfinished Pop Century buildings which paying guests have to look at from across the lake!
            I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Angie_Duke View Post
              all this talk of RC is nothing compared to the unfinished Pop Century buildings which paying guests have to look at from across the lake!
              That is probably tide with RC on my list of perplexing decisions Disney has made in recent years. Just stayed at POP few weeks ago and it certainly is eerie seeing the ghost town across the lake. I had a room in the 60s Building by the giant Baloo, and saw it everyday. I see that project needing to be addressed before the old RC, which is at least out of site better.

Note to self....need to get started on that TR already
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Magic View Post
                That is probably tide with RC on my list of perplexing decisions Disney has made in recent years. Just stayed at POP few weeks ago and it certainly is eerie seeing the ghost town across the lake. I had a room in the 60s Building by the giant Baloo, and saw it everyday. I see that project needing to be addressed before the old RC, which is at least out of site better.
                Agreed, especially since at this point if Disney actually wanted to build the other half they'd have to tear down what they made and start over from scratch. If they did that they could try making all the rooms in that section family suites for example.

Originally posted by Disney Magic View Post
                Note to self....need to get started on that TR already
                You do that! I look forward to seeing it.
                I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Angie_Duke View Post

Still all this talk of RC is nothing compared to the unfinished Pop Century buildings which paying guests have to look at from across the lake!
                  Speaking of the Devil, this is a video I found of the unfinished Pop Century resort buildings. I had no idea that Disney could be this lazy.
                  [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY"]YouTube - The Forgotten Legendary Years at Disney's Pop Century[/ame]
                  Also, here's a video I found of the tube slides and the pool. It really looked like it was fun back then.
                  [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ofV8vsk0U"]YouTube- Vanished World of Disney 6 - River Country[/ame]
                  Last edited by BANANAZ; 12-21-2009, 12:07 PM. Reason: I found another video.

Comment

Regarding the water quality of the lake, I was under the impression that the big swimming hole indeed was separated from the lake by some sort of barrier.

Also found another site with pictures from the abandoned Classic Years Pop Century Resort:

Disney Pop Century - illicitohio.com

Comment

On looking again the plunge slides look to be pretty good. Is there any reason why there is nothing similar in the other water parks ?
                      Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

Apparently Disney just filed to demolish the Boardwalk/walking trail in River Country. The Cypress Point Nature Trail according to the map posted above. Maybe Disney is starting to move on this, after only 8-9 years...
                        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Why did it close?

Comment

Blizzard Beach was opened and both BB and TL had more capacity as well as crowd draws than RC so RC was slowly phazed out until it was officially closed...

Thats how I remember it being..it may have actually been slightly different
                            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                            -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                              Blizzard Beach was opened and both BB and TL had more capacity as well as crowd draws than RC so RC was slowly phazed out until it was officially closed...

Odd that they would just replace it with bigger and better and just let it rot. Too bad they can't do that with Disney's California Adventure. :P

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post

This is pretty much exactly why River Country was closed.

TL and BB are massive and are almost as big as DCA (almost). Much more capacity than the very small RC.

one hundred and one

Comment

Added to that the transportation issues associated with getting people to River Country...
                                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Ahh yes. I figured that there must have been a reason that Disney decided to build new water parks. Makes sense that size and transportation were the factors.

Comment

I find it eery seeing abandoned amusement parks! There are a fair few in Australia - always gives me the creeps when I see them!
                                      However, it is fascinating at the same time. Hopefully disney will make a move on clearing it out soon?
                                      "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

Comment

I've heard that the dramatic drop in tourism after September 11 was also a large contributing factor to the closing of River Country.
                                        -Tim

Comment

Working...
                                        X