X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wesley815
    replied
    Re: New Meet and Greet Procedures

I can't see Disney putting a CM in charge of "watching" the kids. From a safety and legal stand point that just screams bad idea. Of course the parents would gladly yell and point fingers at the CM if anything happened to their child.

Leave a comment:

• Mouse princess
    replied

I remember those days as well.
    I would have to see this first ino rder to judge. I am over protective when it comes to my children. I don't like them out of my line of sight for even 1 second. If I am with another person, I don't mind waiting in line and have my husband/mom watch the kids play. But if I am by myself, no way.
    I think it is a good idea, in theory. I hope they can work something out. I do like the idea of fast pass. That might work out even better.

Leave a comment:

• jane2073
    replied

We have one of those pictures! The White Rabbit, my mom and two kids from two completely different families. The story behind the picture is one of our family favorites!!

I totally agree with Stitchy's third point (one and two are good as well). I have a five year old and she knows that if she wants to ride Toy Story Mania she needs to wait in the 60 minute line and she is good with that. It is the same with character photos. If she wants to have a picture made, she needs to wait in line like every one else. It teaches her patience and also makes her decide which lines are really worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

I remember the days when characters were allowed to roam free, in the wild.

I have pics from the 70's of me with characters... and other random kids with the characters. Whenever someone says, "Who's that?" "Damned if I know!" :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

Pagers.......what a nice souvenier they'd make. I think cost would therefore prohibit it. Plus you need to make sure that the relevant people are close by when called. I know there are those that disagree but Fastpass is about right as far as i'm concerned for virtual queuing. That said, i'm not necessarily a fan of using it in a meet and greet situation.

My answer would be to flood parks with ad hoc characters, so that some people would be prepared to wander and encounter rather than queue. Hopefully then the demand at fixed locations would not be massive. The characters could then be an attraction that doesn't use attraction space.

Leave a comment:

• DonDuck
    replied

Yeah, as a parent I'm also a bit torn about letting my kids playing unsupervised (by my wife or I). The fastpass idea is interesting.

Hey, why not just get rid f the line aspect and hand out out pagers. Go do what you want as a family and when you get a buzz, head on over to get your character meet.

Or, just make cool, innovative, entertaining queues

Leave a comment:

• mikelieman
    replied

Originally posted by tloolgb View Post
    Not in MK there won't.

But at $75 to get in...and $11 per margarita...isn't it just cheaper to sit at home, pay someone to run around the back yard with your kids and drink for less money?
    No Tinker Bell lightup on the glass

Leave a comment:

• santadog
    replied

I too am conflicted on this. As a single parent, the only "Me" time I get is the 5 minutes or so after I drop my daughter at school, while I'm on my way to work. (And the 5 min on the return trip). So some solitude while waiting in the line with my Ipod ---- on the other hand, I already feel like the "hired help" some days, and worry about being considered a place holder.

We are heading down for her Birthday in April, and will see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied

The mermaid meet and greet has a simmilar concept in the MK it works great if there is more then one parent because you can have one waiting in line and the other playing/supervising the children and of course be able to tag off so that you can devide line time! it will never be perfect but much better then having anxious kids in the line! For those that don't have kids you get the pleasure of waiting in line with adults rather then a kid that knocks into you every 5 seconds! I definatly agree it will also require some CM help to patrol the play area.

Leave a comment:

• DreamSweetsLove
    replied

At TDS they are testing a kind of FP for character greetings. Why don't they just do something like that so that the entire party can stay together?

Leave a comment:

• Parisi
    replied

I guess my only concern with this is the fact that parents are leaving their kids alone and unattended while they wait in line. Now I know this is Disney and nothing bad ever happens, but what if... What if that one time a parent is waiting in line and their kids are playing and someone snatches them up.

Is Disney going to give the parent and child matching bracelets, similar to what hospitals do when you go in for child birth?

I like the idea, but I don't like the execution of it.

Leave a comment:

• tloolgb
    replied

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post

On the gripping hand, there probably won't be Margaritas.
    Not in MK there won't.

But at $75 to get in...and $11 per margarita...isn't it just cheaper to sit at home, pay someone to run around the back yard with your kids and drink for less money?

Leave a comment:

• mikelieman
    replied

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I agree that this is overstructuring the M&G process. Part of the Magic was the spontaneous turning a corner and seeing Peter Pan.

On the other hand, bring on the Kid Corral, and bring me a Margarita!

On the gripping hand, there probably won't be Margaritas.

Leave a comment:

• tloolgb
    replied

Originally posted by Casey Jr View Post
    They are just making this way to complicated i.m.o. Just have a bunch of characters wander around and stop for pictures/ autographs when someone asks, then a mildly lengthed line will form on it's own, instead of some zig-zaged line controlled by castmembers. It all just sounds to coorperate and official to me and less magical.
    Ditto.

Meet & Greets are a bit too structured for my taste these days (gone are the days when you stumbled upon lonely characters somewhere)...but now the parents wait in line like placeholders and the kids are sent to play?

If I am in line...shouldn't the one getting the photo be there suffering with me? Maybe I'm just a bad chaperone when I require the kids to stay with me in the parks. And what does this tell the children? It's OK someone else will do the hard part for you? Is that really what we want?

So now what happens when they get to Peter Pan's Flight and now they have to wait in the whole line? OMG! THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

I guess I am just too old these days. As a kid we had to wait in line. Those days are over.

FYI...this is how line-jumping is born. The kids go play, then join mom at the end of the line. Next they try it at Jungle Cruise. Then they try it at Dumbo. They they try it at Splash Mountain before they go in they barn. Each time they bring a few more people with them. Suddenly as MonkeyDishwasher said, you're at the end of the line when the "herd comes a chargin".

And...for simple "Meet & Greets" this sounds like a staffing nightmare. That many extra CMs to find children when the parents reach a certain point in line? Instead of paying people to come up with these "solutions" to the "line problem" and paying all these extra CMs per hour to babysit...why not just throw money from the Ops budget onto the streets and let people steal it? Or better yet...pay the front-line a bit more an hour?

It is amazing...in 10 years society will be able to trace back problems in our schools and streets to Walt Disney World and what they taught (are currently teaching) to children. It is a perfect microcosm to study the degradation of personal responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• Casey Jr
    replied

They are just making this way to complicated i.m.o. Just have a bunch of characters wander around and stop for pictures/ autographs when someone asks, then a mildly lengthed line will form on it's own, instead of some zig-zaged line controlled by castmembers. It all just sounds to coorperate and official to me and less magical.

Leave a comment:

• Semiquaver
    replied

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post

Third....I'm kinda put off by the notion that parents are just place holders. I feel taken advantage of if my husband and kid wander off, leaving me in line to hold their place. I'm on vacation too. Why should I stand there when it's something YOU want to do. I understand that it's my kid in this instance....but, I know alot of you out there are in the same position I am. If it's something for the kid...they want to wander off and play while you stand there. If it's something I want to do...they stick around and complain throughout the ENTIRE LINE. So, I make her stand there with me. I am not her place holder. If it's something she wants to do...then she can stand in line too.

Yeah...I think this is a bad idea.
    Exactly! To me that is just what feels wrong about this idea and the vast majority of the planned expansion. What happened to Walt's vision of a place where adults and kids can play together with no one on the sidelines?

Leave a comment:

• Thorpeedo
    replied

Originally posted by aimster View Post
    What about us who don't have kids, but like to meet the characters?
    Single rider line ?

or

you queue, while wonderpup plays with the kids.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

yeah, I don't like this idea.

Call me overprotective.....but, when I'm in a crowded, large place...I like to keep a close eye on my child. Number 1, for her safety...Number 2, to make sure she's behaving. She can be a little hyperactive sometimes.

Soooo, I can see problems with this.

First, why should I trust some CM who I've never seen before to keep an eye on my child? To make sure that she doesn't run off or get hurt? And I'm supposed to believe that they will be responsible enough to make sure the right kid gets back to the correct parent? Um...no.

Second, when I keep my child by my side...she will complain nonstop that I won't let her go play with the other kids in the playground. This constant stream of complaints will put her in a foul mood and me in one. Not to mention the other parents around me who have to listen to it.

Third....I'm kinda put off by the notion that parents are just place holders. I feel taken advantage of if my husband and kid wander off, leaving me in line to hold their place. I'm on vacation too. Why should I stand there when it's something YOU want to do. I understand that it's my kid in this instance....but, I know alot of you out there are in the same position I am. If it's something for the kid...they want to wander off and play while you stand there. If it's something I want to do...they stick around and complain throughout the ENTIRE LINE. So, I make her stand there with me. I am not her place holder. If it's something she wants to do...then she can stand in line too.

Yeah...I think this is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Stitchy; 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

LOL @ the Rent-A-Kid kiosk. Brilliant.

Even though I'm an adult, I like getting my fair share of time with the characters. I hate feeling like I'm a cow being herded into the slaughterhouse. MOOOO!!!

Leave a comment:

• Starshyne
    replied

Hmmmm...interesting idea. I would like to hear from those who have seen it in action and see what they think.

And as someone who has no children and likes to meet characters, I hope this doesn't cause more problems with people trying to cut me in line than I already have!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X