This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

My sister had that goofy hat as well. She also had a truly hideously awesome one from Typhoon lagoon that she wore EVERYDAY ever after we were home. It was a black hat with a neon TL logo (it was the 80's) and had two flaps down the back of the hat that were green with paint splotches. She loved that hat so much that after it wore out and we went back she bought another one and wore that one until it fell apart.

I love the pictures and memories.

Comment

Well as I said earlier, it took Sean and I almost 6 years before we made a trip back to Disney World. It was 2003, Sean was on Spring Break, and I had saved enough money for him, his mom and I to spend almost a week at Disney World. We traveled in style using a limo to get to and from the airport, and to get from the Orlando Airport to the Contemporary Hotel, where we stayed.

When we were on the plane, I gave Sean the thumbs up! "We're going to Disney World!" Sean, being the kidder he is gave me the thumbs down before finally posing for the "perfect thumbs up picture". I remember before we disembarked from the plane, the flight attendants were quite chatty, and they were talking to 2 gentlemen sitting in front of us. They asked them one very telling question. "Are you going to do the whole, Mickey and Goofy thing, while you are in Orlando?" Much to our surprise, their answer was, "We are Mickey and Goofy". We laughed all the way off the plane.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

Well now that we had arrived at the Orlando airport, we were off to baggage pickup. I had rented a limo from a company called Tiffany Towncar. Thanks to my passporter guidebook, I still have the card that our driver Keith gave us. That's Keith waiting at the bottom of the escalator as we head off to get our luggage. It was nice that they did that, no chance of not finding each other.

Sean decided to ride the luggage cart after all our bags were aboard. We had Keith take our photo before we left the airport. He was happy to oblige. The limo service was great. This is back before the days of Magical Express.

We told Keith the funny story about the 2 gentlemen on the plane. So Keith chimes in about how he used to be a Christmas Goofy years ago. "Everyone wants to get in on the act!".

As you can see by the last photo, we had arrived at Disney World at night. That's the one and only time that I have ever had a late flight.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by LongIslandGuy View Post
          The Walt Disney World Thread needs more love than it gets....

My favorite part of WDW that i will always remember is the carousel of progress. Saw WDW for the first time 9 years ago. 3 visits later it is still my favorite attraction. No matter how lame it might be. the song is the best part. especially when the whole audience joins in....
          I first went in 2003 and was amamzed by the engineering of it, to consider the volumes it could handle.
          Again as I commented elsewhere yesterday...utterly unique, and loved.

the story could do with some real updating though.
          Smile, you never know who's looking !

Comment

I don't remember Carousel of Progress being open in 2003. We were there Spring Break, so perhaps that is why. I believe I didn't see it for the first time until my 2007 vacation, which was at Christmas. I loved it.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Excellent! I too love to look at other people's photos, esp. of vacations, and esp. Disney! I'd be more than happy to keep looking (hint, hint) and if I can manage it, I'll upload a few of my own later, from our first trip to WDW in '08.

Comment

I loved staying at the Contemporary Hotel. Staying there, fulfilled a dream of mine. Since we arrived at night, we wern't able to do much the first night, or get any good night time photos. A digital camera, at the time would have been great. I remember the first time that we opened the curtains in our room, we saw the castle, and it was turning colors. We couldn't see the fireworks, since they are behind in the other direction, but it was glorious. We had a room in one of the garden wings, and being able to see the castle, even though it was far away, was very nice.

The first picture here was taken later in the week, and to me it shows the classic look of the Contemporary Hotel.

I liked to look out the window, and see the monorail go by. These two photos show the view from our room. I thought it was pretty cool!

These next pictures are of my grandson. He loved to "ham it up!" for the camera back then. The first one is in our room, and the other two are the observation deck which I believe was then on the 4th floor, where we watched the fireworks one night.

The last photo is the Contemporary swimming pool. Sean wished it would have been a whole lot hotter the day that he got to swim there

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-15-2010, 04:06 PM.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Thanks for sharing those awesome pics :bow: they remind me of my first time I went, I have such special fond memories, I just remember trying to take everything in. Then two years ago I went agian and that time I snap around 1,000 pics, hopefully I will post them up.
                  "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

Comment

Originally posted by cositaluvsmickey View Post
                    Thanks for sharing those awesome pics :bow: they remind me of my first time I went, I have such special fond memories, I just remember trying to take everything in. Then two years ago I went agian and that time I snap around 1,000 pics, hopefully I will post them up.
                    You are welcome. I love talking about my vacations. When I think of all the money that I have spent on disposable cameras, and film developing, I should have bought a better camera a whole lot sooner.

I am so glad that my most recent vacations, have coincided with the computer age, and the technology that goes along with that.

As I have been enjoying doing this thread, I have been so fortunate, that I don't have to post these photos in their original condition. I don't have Photoshop, but with a few general editing programs, I can make them a whole lot better.

Thanks for reading, and looking.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Our first full day at Disney World in 2003 was a very busy one. The first order of business was Breakfast with Donald at Animal Kingdom. I was excited to see the new park. It wasn't there when we visited in 1997. We only spent a half day at Animal Kingdom, but it was an exciting one. We ate with the characters, took a safari ride on Kilimanjaro Safari, and rode Kali River Rapids, and got soaked. It was a thrilling start to our vacation. These are the characters that we saw along with the elusive Donald Duck. I only wish that I had taken more photos of Animal Kingdom that trip. It seems most of our photos during this vacation were character shots, and not scenic ones.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Have you ever played mini golf at the Blizzard Beach Mini Golf Course? We went there on the first day of our vacation, and we had a whole lot of fun! I wish that last photo was clearer, because if I am remembering correctly they are trying to pull Santa out of the ice.

As I thought about these photos, I was reminded of the 8 x 8 scrapbook that I made from photos of this trip. Here is one of those pages. I remember seeing the turtle just slowly making his way across the road near the Winterland/Summerland Mini Golf Course. I love turtles, so I had to snap a photo of him.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-16-2010, 07:05 AM.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

I remember my very first trip to Disney World, and the very first time that I saw Spectro Magic. I didn't have a clue what type of floats there were, or what characters were there. My husband, my grandson, and I were walking toward Main Street, and my husband decided that he wanted ice cream. It was pretty crowded. People had lined up on Main Street, and there wern't any spots for my grandson and I to see. We did find a garbage can, and I put my grandson on the top of it. This was about the same time that the parade started. My husband was happily sitting somewhere behind us. He didn't care to see the parade. He was eating his ice cream. As I remember the characters were up pretty high. Sean was standing on the garbage can, and I was holding his legs, so he wouldn't fall. I had my eyes on him, more than on the parade. That is, until the very last float came by. That one got my attention. There he was. Jiminy Cricket! If someone had a camera faced in my direction, I am sure my mouth was open in amazement. I remember mostly the joy that I felt, as I saw Jiminy and heard his voice. He was the last character, on the last float in that very first Spectro Magic parade that I saw in 1997.

Now fast forward to 2003. I told Kathy and Sean that story many times. "We must see Spectro Magic," I said, "and we must see it on the first night of our vacation". We did see it, and it was spectacular! I loved seeing Jiminy again. I tried to get some photos, but disposable cameras don't do such a great job.

It wasn't until we went back a 2nd time, and tried again that Kathy got this pretty decent photo of Jiminy Cricket in Spectro Magic. It was once again the highlight of my vacation, the same way it had been back in 1997.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Well, here are some of mine, from older trips:

Drinking around the world

PUSH love

Seeing Jeff again for the first time after we'd met :love:

First time at California Grill

RAIN!!!

StitchTT6 being herself

Dr Evil!

Peoplemover for the first time~!!

OHANA!!!!!!!

Lindsey Lohan

And RIP - Adventurers Club and Beach Club :crybye:

Good morning, son
                            In twenty years from now
                            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                            And I can tell you 'bout today
                            And how I picked you up and everything changed
                            It was pain
                            Sunny days and rain
                            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I ate at California Grill with my grandson and his mom in 2003. I have looked through our photos, and I can't believe that we don't even have one photo of that experience. It was a wonderful night. I especially loved the way the waiter didn't talk down to my 10 year old grandson.

Sean loved watching the making of the sushi in the open kitchen. Sean had the flatbread, of course. I had asparagus soup, and the special at the time pork ......... I wish I remembered the actual name of the dish. Kathy had red meat. That's a given. Kathy adores red meat, and always orders that.

We timed it for the fireworks, and that was happening just about the time we were finishing our strawberry shortcake. Sean loved the fact that I let him pay the waiter.

Special, special memory for all of us.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I have a Passporter from every vacation that I took to Disney World, except for 1997. I believe the Passporte debuted after that year. As I am taking my trip down memory land here, and looking through and sorting photos, my passporter is helping to spark some memories. The Passporter is a great guidebook for planning the trip, and also a good place to store momentos. Google passporter, and you can order on online.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

When we were planning our vacation, Sean's mom Kathy had one request. She wanted to eat in the castle. We knew how hard it was to get breakfast seatings with Cinderella back then, but Kathy just wanted to eat there, not necessarily see the princess. So we decided to have lunch there. We knew that there was no guarantees to see any characters, and that was fine with us. The lunch selections back then were pretty nice, and we ordered off the menu. I remember how we were seated near a window, and we could watch Merlin performing the Sword in the Stone ceremony. When lunch was over, I was getting ready to pay the bill, and Sean went to use, the restroom. All of a sudden Sean came running back to get his autograph book. He said Cinderella is downstairs. He wanted her autograph. He left me sitting there. Kathy, right behind him. She left me sitting there. Well I wasn't going to miss this, so I made a quick exit. (no, I didn't forget to pay the bill, and I left a nice tip) By the time I reached the bottom of the stairs, Sean was dancing with the princess. Yes, another photo op missed. I have it etched in my memory though. It is one of Kathy's fondest memories, and she talks about it to this day. When the dance was over, we managed some photos with Cinderella, and her Fairy Godmother.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM.
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

BA, I am LOVING your pictures!!!!

Here are a few of mine from 2007 and 2008 trips.

This one is with my ex. While we are no longer together I still love the horified look on his face (I think the photog had said to look "surprised"). Cracks me up!

I am a HUGE donald fan and to find this hoody was a dream come true. The CM at WOD called all over the park looking for it in my size.

Housekeeping playing with my stuffed animals while we were at the park

My "Donald" cloud I saw in 2007 on our first day in the park
                                    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

oh my gosh! That cloud DOES look like Donald!!!! ROFL!

Comment

Nice pictures. I like the pink castle cake ...I was there in '97 for that. Many people didn't like it, but I did. I knew it was just temporary. Also, the Contemporary was the first Disney hotel I stayed at after the first two trips where we stayed off site. To me the Contemporary just said Disney World and is almost as iconic as Cinderella's Castle and Spaceship Earth. It had to be my place I stayed. Every trip since them we've always stayed on site trying to pick a different resort each time.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the great Donald pictures. He is a favorite of my husband. I remember after our 1997 trip my husband said it would have been nice to see Donald, since we had seen Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto on our first trip. So when I planned the 2003 trip, even though my husband didn't go, we made sure that we saw Donald. We had breakfast with him the very first morning.

The sweatshirt is great.

As you know, if you have read this far, or you know me, I am a Jiminy fan. It's hard finding Jiminy clothing. Some that I have found is actually made for men. Some t-shirts I have I did iron on's myself.

The Contemporary is, and always will be my favorite of the Disney World Hotels. I would love to belong to the DVC at BLT. If only I was rich. I am but a poor granny, who doesn't know when her next trip is, so instead, I day dream and reminisce on MiceChat.
                                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Working...
                                          X