This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

About two weeks before our 2004 Disney World vacation, my grandson Sean broke his arm. It was actually the day of his 11th birthday. It was his right arm, which was a blessing of sorts, since Sean is left handed. It should have forewarned us that it would be a rocky road ahead. Our 2004 vacation was filled with those little aggravating moments. As we look back on that vacation, we call it our "Grumpy Trip". Over all, we did end up having a really great time. I always say, "If you don't have fun on vacation, it's your own fault." This was the one vacation that came pretty close to making that impossible.

Mishaps included, a limo driver who didn't show up, lost sunglasses, lost mother, sick grandmother, rain, rain, and more rain, missing castle, lost wallet, forgotten cell phone, broken items, missed fishing excursion, cancelled parade, missed priority seating. I could go on but you get the point.

Our trip had highlights, of course. You know what they say about keeping your chin up, and making lemonade out of lemons. There was the great room at Port Orleans Riverside, and the Cane Pole Fishing, my first rides on Test Track, and Splash Mountain, Dinner with Cinderella, Brunch at Chef Mickey's, Hair cuts, and hairgel at Harmony Barber Shop, Mini Golf at Fantasia Gardens, Fantasmic, Illuminations. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Down below are the scrapbook pages from that trip.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-19-2010, 08:05 AM.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Thank you for the Wonderful pictures and you are indeed making memories!

Timekeeper
          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

My first WDW memory was my first trip... March 1978:

Comment

2005 was a wonderful year for me, as far as Disney vacations go. I was so fortunate that year. My granson Sean and I, and his mom returned to Disney World again. This time our vacation took place in the month of June. It was plenty hot, and the park was crowded with lots of kids out of school. I remember how the parks were all celebrating the Happiest Celebration on Earth in honor of the 50th Anniversary at Disneyland. We did a lot of fun things on this vacation, and I don't recall one mishap. Unless of course we remember the "almost best kept secret".

BarbaraAnn

Comment

I always try and get at least a few photos of us as we wait at the airport and as we are on the plane. On this vacation, we decided not to use the brand new Magical Express service. Instead, we opted for a limo driver to pick us up at the airport. We phoned him when we got our baggage, and Kathy and Sean found a stray wheel chair to relax in while we waited. I couldn't resist the photo.

We made two stops along the way before arriving at the Port Orleans Resort. One was the grocery store to pick up some essential food items, and the 2nd was at the famous Walt Disney World Sign. It was so nice of the limo driver to suggest it, and he even snapped our picture so we could all be in it.

There was 4 + years between our 2005 trip in the month of June, and our 2009 trip in the month of August. Kathy thought it would be fun to stop at the sign again. However, this time there was no one extra to snap the picture. My look at how we've grown!

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Since Sean had a broken arm on our last vacation to Disney World, we decided to return to Port Orleans again, so this time Sean could fully enjoy the swimming and the fishing. We also liked the fact that the boat was close by to take us to Downtown Disney. We actually shopped there the first night.

In 2004, I booked a fishing excursion, and on the morning we were supposed to go, it was pouring down rain. I tried to cancel, but I went about it all wrong. It turned out that we missed our pickup, and they wanted to charge me for not showing up. When I explained about the broken arm, they were very nice and didn't charge me. Anyway, after the botched fishing excursion, I had to make up for it, and so in 2005 we finally went. It turned out to be the absolute perfect day. Sean caught a lot of fish, and as you can see they were huge. I even caught a few small ones. It was a lot of fun. By the way, the fish you catch, you have to throw back. That's a good thing, because it's a long way back home to Chicago, with smelly fish in your luggage.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

When we were researching information for our trips, Kathy ran across the information about the Richard Petty Driving Experience. She thought it would be great to learn how to drive a race car. One big problem was the cost. However, they also offered a Richard Petty Riding Experience that wasn't too costly. So on one of the mornings of our trip we rented a cab, and we were off to the Speedway. They got Kathy all dressed up like a race car driver, and she got to ride. Kathy being Kathy, said "it wasn't fast enough!'. I was amazed at how brave she was. She did come out all smiles

BarbaraAnn

Comment

The highlight of our time spent at Animal Kingdom was the audio-animatronic dinosaur named Lucky. We followed him around and I got a lot of photos.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

Almost everyone likes to eat in the castle. I have never had breakfast there, but I have done lunch. In fact, our two meals at the castle were a few years apart. We decided to take our first castle photos, and iron them on a t-shirt. We then wore those shirts to our lunch at the castle. We got a lot of nice comments. The food was yummy. Yes that is a chocolate crown, and Sean devoured it.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

The Magic Kingdom has always been my favorite park at Disney World. I think it's because they have the parade, and the Wishes Fireworks. I absolutely love Jiminy Cricket, and to see him at the end of Spectromagic is always very special to me.

Who knew that Magic Kingdom had a mayor? Not me. Sean posed for a photo with him.

The Roy and Minnie bench is a nice touch at the end of Main Street, and I have always been fond of the clock that is half way down Main Street. I tend to photograph it a lot when I visit the Magic Kingdom.

These pages contain many fond memories. The sword in the stone, and the castmembers waving goodbye after a long funfilled day in the MK.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Kathy's favorite character is Grumpy. It's funny, but when someone know that you like a particular character, they tend to buy you a lot of presents based on that character. Kathy has a lot of Grumpy stuff. She also loves the other dwarves (or is it dwarfs?)

She was so happy when she was able to get all the dwarfs in one photo with both her and Sean. Fun times at the MK.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

We spent 4 nights at Port Orleans Riverside and then we were switching hotels to the Beach Club for three nights. Sean wasn't supposed to know this. The plan was to take him cane pole fishing at Port Orleans Riverside one last time, while Kathy switched the luggage. Then we were off to Epcot, and when we were finished touring there, about 4 o'clock we would walk to the Beach Club and surprise Sean.

Well the luggage got switched, we were off to Epcot, and we had a super great time. We then got hungry and we were sitting in Electric Umbrella eating burgers. Sean looked up at me, and with a straight face, he ask's "So when are we going to the Beach Club?" Well, I was dumbfounded! "Who told you?, I asked. It seems mom let it slip. We kept that secret almost to the moment I wanted to spring it. Almost, but not quite!

Sean loved the Beach Club. So much so that he swam rather than go back to Epcot for Illuminations that night, I ended up going by myself. We had a room in the DVC section. It was very nice. I remember the morning I ordered room service. That was very nice. The Beach Club is a great resort to stay at. I wish it wasn't so expensive to stay at. That's the reason that we did a split stay. I could afford the three nights, but not the total seven of our 2005 vacation.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

you have such wonderful memories, BA. And I love your scrapbook pages. I don't have nearly enough patience to manage something like that.

I can't believe you saw Lucky! Aren't you....well...lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                  you have such wonderful memories, BA. And I love your scrapbook pages. I don't have nearly enough patience to manage something like that.

I can't believe you saw Lucky! Aren't you....well...lucky!
                                  Thanks. Those pages are 8 x 8. I chose the smaller pages, because quite frankly we didn't take enough photos for me to do a larger 12 x 12 scrapbook.

Lucky the Dinosaur was such a joy to watch. It really is a unique experience the way they get the dinosaur to interact with the crowd. I especially had a lot of fun getting photos with both Sean and Lucky in the photo.

As for the scrapbooking. I enjoy it, and I have a lot of time on my hands, now that I have no little ones underfoot. I don't even have any big ones underfoot.
                                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

I have always wanted to eat at Cape May. The restaurant is at the Beach Club, or was it the Yacht Club? Anyway, since we spent three nights there, I decided to ask if we could get in there for breakfast. They had an opening. It was a whole lot of fun, and we saw a lot of characters.

Yes, it was the Beach Club.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

I didn't go to MGM with Sean and Kathy. I was off doing something else that day. Anyway, they extended the Star Wars Character thing that they have there each year in June, and Kathy and Sean got to experience it. Kathy and Sean took a lot of Star Wars photos, and Sean was delighted when he got to fight Darth Vadar. All of this took place, I believe before the same experience was introduced at Disneyland. Anyway, Sean had a great time, and I missed seeing it first hand, so I was happy that Kathy had taken a lot of pictures.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

Characters. We saw a lot of characters at Disney World in 2005.

My 2005 Trip was a whole lot of fun. At the time, I was hoping that we would return to Disney World the following year, because we had just completed our third annual trip there. However, it was only me that returned in 2006. It wasn't until 4 years later that the 3 of us traveled to Disney World together. So if you are visiting the World of Disney World have a marvelous time.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-23-2010, 08:41 PM.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Now I do plan on posting more memories from my Disney World vacations. In 2006, I visited Disney World with the family of a friend of mine. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort, and I treated myself to a few nights at the Grand Floridian. I can certanly understand how people more fortunate than I in the money department love to stay there. It was great!

Now I am off to dust off my 2006 memories.
                                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Working...
                                          X