This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

In 2006, I was invited to Disney World by a friend. The original plan was to share a car ride. They had room, and I was welcome to go along. As the day got closer, the plan changed, and we flew instead. This was the very first Disney World vacation that I went on where I had a digital camera, and I was prepared to take a lot of photos. I began taking pictures, and having my picture taken, with my camera, even before I left my home town of Chicago. It was also the first time that I experienced the Magical Express buses. We were going to Disney World. It was July, and we were staying at Caribbean Resort.

The Caribbean Beach resort is a very big place. This was my only trip to Disney World where I didn't share a room with anyone else. My friend and her children had their own room, and I had mine. I ended up in a corner room on the 2nd floor of the Aruba section.

I remembered back to 1997, when I almost booked that hotel for the vacation that I took with my husband and grandson. The Caribbean Beach Resort involves a lot of walking. The resort is unique in that the foodcourt is in a different location from the lobby. They do have an internal bus system that will take you from one section to another. I never waited too long for a bus.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Well, I always take home a few extra park maps, so I can put them in my scrapbooks. The Happiest Celebration on Earth was still the theme at the parks. The castle was still all decked out in gold. Since my room was ready when I arrived, I got settled in, and then I headed off to the Magic Kingdom. I took the long way there, by way of an Epcot bus. I got lots of pictures of all the different ways to travel around Disney World.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

The first night of my vacation, we ate dinner at Ohana. It was the first time that I was back in that restaurant since 1997. Some things seemed so much the same. The food was different, but still very yummy.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

We had decided that the first full day of our vacation would be spent relaxing, and not visiting a theme park. Our first activity of the day was to rent a surrey that we would pedal around the small lake at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We were then off to Blizzard Beach for some mini golf. Our evening meal would be at the Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Hotel. Now that was indeed a whole lot of fun.

Up to this point in my vacation, I had taken a lot of photos. However, when I was minigolfing at the minigolf course at Blizzard Beach, I accidentally spilled water on my digital camera. I managed to salvage the memory card, but the camera no longer worked.

For the rest of my vacation, I had to rely on Photopass, my friend's camera, and disposable cameras once again. How frustrated I was.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
            Since my very first trip to Disney World was in 1997, the very first castle I saw was the Birthday Cake one. When I would ask Sean if he wanted to go back to Disney World with grandma, and grandpa, he would always say "No!". I just figured that he didn't remember much of the trip, since he was only four. Then again, we would sometimes talk, and he would remember a lot of what we did. So when I finally asked him for the last time. Sean, why don't you want to go back to Disney World, he said to me, with a straight face, "Because the Castle isn't a Cake anymore!". Well, of course, he was pulling my leg at the young age of about 10. That's how long it was before we returned again.

It really was a terrible shade of pink!
            OMG This was the castle?? wow not pretty at all lol, how long was it this bad looking icon???
            WONDERFUL PICTURES !!! KEEP THEM COMING
            -------------------------------------------
            I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

Comment

Yes, when the castle was a cake, to me it appeared a whole lot smaller. They also didn't transform the back of the castle. Otherwise I'd probably have a photo of that as well.

I'm not sure how long it remained that way. I know it was for their 25th Anniversary, and we were there in September of 1997. I believe it returned to normal in 1998.

Someone else probably knows for sure.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

My 2006 trip was special to me because during that trip, I got to experience many different things that I had never done before. I missed the fact that Sean and Kathy wern't with me, but touring alone definitely has some benefits. My day at Epcot, for instance included breakfast with the princesses in Norway, and an early dinner at Coral Reef. We had never chosen Coral Reef before, because Sean and Kathy are strictly "meat and potato" people. I really starting missing the camera, and as I recall the things that I did, I see I am again missing many photos. I guess it's just another reason we keep returning to favorite vacation destinations. Things not done, photos not taken, and of course things we want to do and see again. Or things we want to share with someone who wasn't with us the first time around.

I should mention that my scrapbook pages are never totally chronological. There's no method to my madness, sometimes.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-25-2010, 06:46 AM.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

During my time at MGM, I ate at 2 restaurants that I never ate at before. The first was the Brown Derby, and the second was the SciFi one. I really enjoyed them both.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

I remember the 2 mornings that I spent at Animal Kingdom. On one of them, I had breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe. I really like that restaurant, and thier breakfast is yummy. The other morning we all ate with Donald, and that was fun. I got talked into riding the Dinosaur ride, and it only reminded me of why I don't like that ride. Too noisy, and too jerky.

I see that I did a terrible job of photographing these most recent page additions. I probably should rephotograph the entire 2006 scrapbook, since I recently purchased a new camera.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

Have you ever been to Beaches and Cream? It's located at the Beach Club. I met my friends there, and I helped to devour a Kitchen SInk. In case you don't know, a Kitchen Sink is this wonderful ice cream concoction served in a "kitchen sink". It was yummy, and it was a lot of fun. We went from spoons to straws, and I ate a whole lot of bananas.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

On the seventh day of my vacation, I checked out of the Caribbean Beach resort, and had my luggage delivered to the Grand Floridian Hotel. I was treating myself to a two night stay. It was expensive, but since I always wanted to stay there, I figured a short stay was better than no stay. While I was there, I had a breakfast in 1900 Park Fare with Alice, and an Afternoon Tea in the Garden Lounge. The hotel did not disappoing. I had a grand time.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

This thread is so much fun! Thank you so much for updating it Barbara. You got some scrapbooking skillz (:

one hundred and one

Comment

Originally posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
                            This thread is so much fun! Thank you so much for updating it Barbara. You got some scrapbooking skillz (:
                            Thank you very much. I enjoy scrapbooking. My husband got me started on the hobby, coincidentally, just about the same time that I bought both my computer, and my digital camera.

I really do need to rephotograph those 2006 pages.

I am presently working on scrapping my latest 2009 trip, which included a stay at Pop Century I am doing a small character scrapbook, and I will be doing a larger 12 x 12 one.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

My many days at Magic Kingdom included a lot of special moments. Having a meal at the Crystal Palace is always special for me, it brought back fond memories of the meals that I have had there with my grandson. I remember wishing that he was with me on this trip. I also ate at Tony's restaurant, another restaurant that I had eaten at before with Sean.

There are so many fun things to do when touring the MK. I'll just let the photos speak for themselves.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-27-2010, 06:23 AM.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

The family that I was traveling with was quite large. For the most time, I toured the parks by myself. I liked the freedom of that. I also liked when we would meet for a special meal. We all ate together at Chef Mickey's and some of us ate together at Ohana again for breakfast on our last morning.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-27-2010, 06:40 AM.
                                BarbaraAnn

Comment

These are the final 3 pages from my 2006 scrapbook.

BarbaraAnn

Comment

I guess we all do a little day dreaming. We imagine what it would be like to go somewhere, at a specific time. For instance, I imagined how great it would be to go to Disney World during the month of December when it was all decked out for Christmas. So, I stopped daydreaming, and I began planning. I was going to go to Disney World at Christmastime. I was there in the early part of December and I stayed for 6 nights. This time I stayed at Coronado Springs. Here are just a few of the many photos that I took of that resort.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

I have been on vacation before with my friend Jennifer and her family. When Jen heard that I was off to Disney World for a Christmastime trip, she took time off from her job, and we went together. It was just her and I. We left Chicago, on the 5th of December, which is just 4 days after Jennifer's birthday, so we decided to celebrate her birthday during our trip. I remember wishing that I had known about birthday buttons when I was in Disney World on my 50th birthday back in 1997. We went to City Hall, on our first night there, and Jennifer got her button. We also had a beautiful birthday dinner at Park fare, and Jennifer received a princess crown, and a beautiful princess placemat. Jennifer is a wonderful photographer, and I am thankful for all the wonderful photos that she took of me celebrating Christmastime at Disney World.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM.
                                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

I need to back up my brain a bit here, and tell you the magical story of my very first day at Disney World in 2007.

I arrived at Magic Kingdom, just about the time that the afternoon parade was coming down Main Street. Since Jiminy Cricket is my favorite character, I took a lot of photos of him in the parade.
                                        When the parade was over, I had a sit with Minnie. A kind passerby was nice enough to snap the photo. I then decided that since I looked a little scraggly, I would get a haircut at the Barber Shop. It has become a tradition of mine. I wasn't really sure what I was going to do after the haircut. I remember that I had a little leftover food from my lunch, and I though that I would snack on it, while I walked down Main Street. Something, instead, made me turn around. I am so glad that I did.

In the left corner of Town Square stood Jiminy Cricket. Now, I could go on and on about how I have wanted his autograph forever. I couldn't believe my eyes, but yes, there he was. I had waited for this moment for a very long time. I remembered back to my first trip in 1997, when I asked a cast member if Jiminy Cricket ever posed for photos, and gave autographs. He said, he had never seen him. Well up to this moment in time, I hadn't either. I fumbled through my things, and got my autograph book, and my camera ready, and I got in line. When my turn finally came, I handed the camera over to a nearby guest who said he would snap the photo. I told Jiminy how great it was to finally see him, he gave me the autograph and we posed. I smiled. What happens next, is one of those "Murphy Moments". My camera battery had died". No photo. I thanked Jiminy, got my camera from the guest, and got out of line. Yes, I had an extra battery. You bet I did, I wasn't missing this opportunity. I am only thankful that Jiminy didn't need a rest period before I reached him again. This time I got my photo. Jiminy chuckled, as only Jiminy can when he saw me again.

It was the highlight of my trip, and it happened on the very first day. I also got to see the castle light up especially for the Christmas season, and of course, I photographed the Pinocchio statue. Another tradition of mine. When I met Jennifer later on for the aforementioned Birthday Button moment, I told her, "we can go home now", because my vacation was already complete. I had finally met Jiminy Cricket.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Re: Walt Disney World Memory Thread

I have been to a lot of Early Mornings at the Magic Kingdom. I love getting there before the park opens and there is time to get my camera out and take pictures. I have probably taken this exact photo many times.

You can see the crowd of people approaching the tunnel to wait for the rope to drop. It was an average crowd on this beautiful December morning.

I especially like this window that says, "Keeping Dreams on Track". Notice the population is now in the billions. Mr. Disney should be proud.

The characters were there to officially welcome everyone into the park.

The first thing that I noticed when I entered Town Square was the Christmas Tree. It wasn't there the day before when I had sat down on the bench with Roy and Minnie. That must take a little bit of Magic, and a lot of manpower to place it in it's proper place in Town Square.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM.
                                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

Working...
                                          X